Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:29 am

So I often see a TK vs. Wikizilla war go on among sites and it’s often about which has the better information, and to be honest, TK is kinda lacking, Wikizilla has suit actors, designers, concept art, etc.

I know there’s been steady work at updating the bios here but we’re Toho Kingdom, damn it, we need to be the absolute info outlet on all things Toho :lol:

I thought we could use this thread to discuss what else the bios could use to spruce em up, comment below.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

User avatar
ROMG4
Interpol Agent
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am
Location: Monster Island

Re: Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby ROMG4 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:01 am

Wikizilla's a larger community meanwhile the staff at TK is less then 10 people and Arbok is the only one who can post updates

Either way anyone trying to start a "war" is a mere child. Both sides ESPECIALLY TK have been responsible for the education of the fanbase on Godzilla trivia in particular translation of Japanese textbooks

Essentially Wikizilla has more manpower and TK has less. Both sites are good it's taken decades to get a content database let alone two as trustworthy as they are now

We should be very happy we are finally catching up to other fanbases in terms of information collection and everything
Last edited by ROMG4 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4893
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:25 am

I definitely run into some of these- disappointing that they are only couple-paragraph bios instead of in-depth breakdowns like others on the site.

Maybe TK can set up a volunteer staffer program to help with the manpower needs to collect and write this data (which can then be reviewed and checked by a qualified staffer or something, to maintain QC standards?)
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
ROMG4
Interpol Agent
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:23 am
Location: Monster Island

Re: Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby ROMG4 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:14 am

Zarm wrote:I definitely run into some of these- disappointing that they are only couple-paragraph bios instead of in-depth breakdowns like others on the site.

Maybe TK can set up a volunteer staffer program to help with the manpower needs to collect and write this data (which can then be reviewed and checked by a qualified staffer or something, to maintain QC standards?)

I wish Arbok would remove his restriction on not posting content to the main site that wasn't made by a site staff member

Forum users were able to post reviews on content years ago. In-fact the vast majority of Toy Reviews were user made rather then Site Staff

Not to mention books and other movie reviews
Last edited by ROMG4 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13963
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am

It's movie reviews that are restricted. Non-staff can still send in reviews for books, music, and the like. I submitted a book review last year (though, strangely, it doesn't show up on the main Book page).
Image

User avatar
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado
Posts: 1883
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby Arbok » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:It's movie reviews that are restricted. Non-staff can still send in reviews for books, music, and the like.


This is correct. The main issue is man power from the combined staff for a lot of things, naturally. Also, just to clear any misconceptions, Joshua Sudomerski is able to code and update and does a LOT of work on the site behind the scenes as well. Most of Chris' updates are thanks to Joshua's work in getting those updates live. Patrick Galvan also is able to code and release updates as well.

That said, the concept behind the blog, and how it's slowly absorbing other categories, is to introduce a way so more people can update, one that doesn't involve direct coding and FTP work. It hasn't panned out how I hoped so far, but ideally this is a gateway to getting a larger body of people that can do work on the site that is not dependent on me, Joshua or Patrick to execute on and therefore removing a bottleneck.

UltramanGoji wrote:I submitted a book review last year (though, strangely, it doesn't show up on the main Book page).


Crap! Could you tell me what book is missing from the listing?
If it bites... don't mess with it!

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13963
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Arbok wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:It's movie reviews that are restricted. Non-staff can still send in reviews for books, music, and the like.


This is correct. The main issue is man power from the combined staff for a lot of things, naturally. Also, just to clear any misconceptions, Joshua Sudomerski is able to code and update and does a LOT of work on the site behind the scenes as well. Most of Chris' updates are thanks to Joshua's work in getting those updates live. Patrick Galvan also is able to code and release updates as well.

That said, the concept behind the blog, and how it's slowly absorbing other categories, is to introduce a way so more people can update, one that doesn't involve direct coding and FTP work. It hasn't panned out how I hoped so far, but ideally this is a gateway to getting a larger body of people that can do work on the site that is not dependent on me, Joshua or Patrick to execute on and therefore removing a bottleneck.

UltramanGoji wrote:I submitted a book review last year (though, strangely, it doesn't show up on the main Book page).


Crap! Could you tell me what book is missing from the listing?


It's Collecting Japanese Movie Monsters. You can still find it via the Search engine.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/colle ... sters.html

And while I've got you on the line and we're talking about the blog, any chance at restoring the old sidebar with the ongoing projects? It's kind of a pain to find them now with the new layout. You have to actually dig through the page numbers at the bottom to find any of them.
Image

User avatar
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado
Posts: 1883
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby Arbok » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:45 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:It's Collecting Japanese Movie Monsters. You can still find it via the Search engine.


Sorry about that, it's on the Books now.

UltramanGoji wrote:And while I've got you on the line and we're talking about the blog, any chance at restoring the old sidebar with the ongoing projects? It's kind of a pain to find them now with the new layout. You have to actually dig through the page numbers at the bottom to find any of them.


Sorry to hear about the navigation aspect, although sadly that change won't happen for the blog section. That said, we have moved out many of the ongoing projects to an area of the site that will be rebranded as TK Projects & Media:

https://www.tohokingdom.com/media.htm
If it bites... don't mess with it!

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13963
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:08 pm

Arbok wrote:
Sorry to hear about the navigation aspect, although sadly that change won't happen for the blog section. That said, we have moved out many of the ongoing projects to an area of the site that will be rebranded as TK Projects & Media:

https://www.tohokingdom.com/media.htm


Fair enough, this is definitely a fine compromise. I'm sure I could find anything else I need with the Search engine. :)
Image

User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Monster Bios Are STILL In Major Need Of Some Work

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:26 pm

I think a nice way to update the bios and make them all they can be would be to add aliases, suit actors, concept art, designers, behind the scenes creation of the suits (if they exists), kinda merge some analysis art from the Analysis page, yadda yadda, really go all out and make this THE place for information.
I’m not telling anyone to get right on itof course, just spit balling ideas and I’d love to hear more
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking


Return to “Comments, Suggestions and Submissions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest