Suggestion: Eliminate GIFs from user signatures.

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Suggestion: Eliminate GIFs from user signatures.

Post by Showa Gyaos »

This has been going on for a while now, but I have to say I'm getting fed up with it—too many GIF images are in people's signatures. This causes my connection to lag in all browsers, including Google Chrome and at certain points causes pages to freeze and stall. Before anybody questions my internet connectivity and speed, this doesn't happen on other boards that I frequently go to. Other message boards that I go to have rules,which state that signatures are only allowed to be of a certain size and width, and even outright ban GIF's to keep this problem from occurring. Certain users even have multiple GIF's in their signature.

"How do you know it's the GIF's?"

Because in topics with fewer GIFs, my connection speed improves, the page doesn't freeze or stall, and I'm able to post with more ease. This is only a suggestion, and I'm not angry or attacking anybody in particular, but I do believe this is something that should be addressed.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Suggestion: Eliminate GIFs from user signatures.

Post by Maritonic »

I literally *never* have this problem at all, and I'm a user with two GIFs in my signature.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Gotta agree with Maritonic, I've been in threads with people who have plenty of gifs in there sigs and have had no problem with my connection speed.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I mean, I just find them annoying, so I wouldn't mind at least making an 'only one' rule or something... but yeah, I haven't had any connection difficulty because of it. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I have signatures off in general; before the forums moved, there *was* an option to turn off all images in sigs. Not sure how easily such a feature could be incorporated into these boards, though.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm pretty sure this was an old rule? Or maybe I'm just misremembering things.

Regardless, I agree. There should be an image/size limit to signatures. There's people who center everything in them and it just stretches the page to twice it's size.

That's why I have signatures off. Sick of the six-dozen two frame Gifs from the latest film trailer and the sixty quote blocks of the HILARIOUS FUNNY JOKE somebody made ages ago.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

GigaBowserG wrote:I have signatures off in general; before the forums moved, there *was* an option to turn off all images in sigs. Not sure how easily such a feature could be incorporated into these boards, though.
There indeed was - this was a MOd though and has not been converted to an Extension - but, everything else that is useless has been. :D Gotta love the converter priorities --- I believe there is a board setting that disables image signatures across the board - but that's for EVERYONE. D:

There was for a while when CZ was admin a forced signature limit. However - that has been long since dissolved. It's more so out of respect then it is forced. If we (staff) see a grossly large image, something like 3kx7k. We'll resize it.

The problem with one of these signature rules is that - just like quoted images. No one will ever follow it or even be bothered to read a board announcement about it. We'll run in circles and people will get butt hurt about it until the sun explodes.

As for connection speed problem. I have a slow speed of (max) 15 MBPS, which it never hits and I average about 7 MBPS. I always have a YT video playing and my parents are always streaming Netflix on this connection and the forum loads fine. Sites like tumblr though - I have issues with if the above is present.