Discussion: Main Site Updates

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Terasawa » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:37 am

^Piggybacking on this, Toho's English title for 太平洋の翼 is "Attack Squadron" (sans exclamation). Here's the on-screen title from the international version:

That's supported by various Toho print materials from the early 1960s, including a poster and the entry from Toho Films 1963 (spoilers in the latter's synopsis).

The site listing also gives "Toho International (1975)" as the film's U.S. distributor (I'm aware that the erroneous title and distributor information is from Galbraith's Toho book). In fact, it had already been in television syndication at that point, however, going back to October '63 or early 1964. Note that this is the same package that The Secret of the Telegian was available in; that film's U.S. release ends with a logo for "Westhampton Film Corporation," so perhaps Desilu just handled the business of syndication itself.

Source: Heffernan, Kevin. Ghouls, Gimmicks, and Gold: Horror Films and the American Movie Business, 1953-1968. Duke University Press, 2004, p. 237.

I've never seen any syndication prints of Attack Squadron and thus cannot comment on the runtime, but at least Toho's international version (dubbed by William Ross with a pre-Frontier Enterprises group) is uncut. It's probably safe to conclude that the U.S. television version was simply the Toho export version, as was the case with Westhampton's syndicated version of Telegian.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby mikelcho » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Has anyone looked at, or even noticed, my last post at the end of pg. 4? Anyone at all?

I'd like to think that what I've found out has not been for nothing and that it will be done eventually.

This way, the entire Movies section on this forum will be the best that it can be.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Comments, Suggestions and Submissions”