PSA - Quoting Images/YT Videos and Reading Sticky/Pinned Posts

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
SpaceG92
Keizer

PSA - Quoting Images/YT Videos and Reading Sticky/Pinned Posts

Post by SpaceG92 »

Hello everyone, time for a quick PSA. So - you all better read this - because this is part of the problem.

As of August 04, 2016. fellow Moderator Giratina93 posted an ANNOUNCEMENT FOR ALL TOY THREAD READERS thread. The thread has been stickied to the top for all to see..

On Dec 01, 2016, Giratina made an another post within the thread and added a "General Heads up". Quoted below;
Giratina93 wrote:Time to made an addition to the above: Please don't quote images if they are on the same page you are posting. I know this is something that happens all over the forums, but it's especially prominent in the toys section with all the images of new releases and collections, and having the same image quoted 5 times in a row on the same page stretches the page out and makes loading it take longer, and clusters up the page. By refraining from quoting the image on the same page, you make everyone's reading in the toy section more bearable and faster, instead of waiting for even more pictures to load.
I myself even bumped the thread again, on December 2nd and added the following;
SpaceG92 wrote:Adding - it should go without saying but the same goes for Pic and Youtube embeds. Pic tags especially.
Example of an image used in a [pic] tag
Resized Image

Now with the [pic] in a quote.
Resized Image
Note how the resized resolution stays? It's annoying.
However, as of Dec. 1st posting that, apparently some people just don't prioritize mod posts, forum stickies and or pins. I had to edit out several image quotes between then and now.

Myself and others manually edit out pic, img and YT embed in quotes because of the reasons Giratina posted above. Not only can it slow load on slower connections or mobile but its a massive eyesore. Whenever I catch these, I tend to edit them out, its common courtesy and it prevents a huge clutter. I'll say this again;

It's not hard to edit a quote in a reply. Seriously, it takes no less then 10 seconds to edit out a img quote.

Start doing it - because as I mentioned before, this comes off as either;
A: I don't have to read what the Moderation/Administrative Staff has to say, it's not important
B: I can't be bothered to read forum Pins or Stickies
C: I just didn't have time to read everything, so I read the quick news buzz and I had to split.
D: None of the Above :lol:

I know some people only frequent certain threads and may ignore other threads entirely, I get that. Sometimes you're in a rush, I get that. However - this is just getting stupid. Between these and several other stickies and pins that apparently go unread, i'm just going to make this post.

#1: Please make an active effort to either read or remember moderation posts and forum pins and/or stickied topics.
#2: Please stop quoting imgs/pic/YT videos - make it a habit to edit these out of replies. PLEASE. I shouldn't have to edit out the same image that's been quoted 4 times on the same page right below each other. Come on people.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: PSA - Quoting Images/YT Videos and Reading Sticky/Pinned Posts

Post by BlankAccount »

Ain't nobody got time for that.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

You should probably make this a forum-wide announcement as opposed to a sticky in the least popular section of the forum.

I'll do my fair share to report unedited quotes. It's a huge-ass problem on mobile and people who quote entire slideshow-lengths of pictures just to say "wow cool!!" should be slapped with an immediate warning, no ifs, ands or buts.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Living Corpse wrote:Ain't nobody got time for that.
Please do not spam worthless garbage like this in a serious thread like this
Resized Image

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I attempt to remove pictures from quotes, usually only letting it happen if it carries to the next page, but I've slipped up once or twice before. Will also keep that in mind with videos, too.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

UltramanGoji wrote:You should probably make this a forum-wide announcement as opposed to a sticky in the least popular section of the forum.
It should be - i'm seeing it pop up under all sub-forums. It wasn't for a moment then I quickly edited it.
UltramanGoji wrote:--It's a huge-ass problem on mobile and people who quote entire slideshow-lengths of pictures just to say "wow cool!!"
Ran into that today while checking TK while house sitting. :| Took forever to scroll past it.
UltramanGoji wrote:--should be slapped with an immediate warning, no ifs, ands or buts.
-and that is why this thread is made. Actually truth be told - I was going to let small offenses slide. Until I remembered all the image quoting still going on in the toy thread despite myself and Gira bumping a sticky about it a day before. That just really rustles the jimmies.
GigaBowserG wrote:usually only letting it happen if it carries to the next page, but I've slipped up once or twice before.
Sometimes mistakes happen or your in a hurry - I get that. Hell, I forget it too on occasions but obviously when 2-3 people are quote stacking something above them. Just - no...

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

SpaceG92 wrote:-and that is why this thread is made. Actually truth be told - I was going to let small offenses slide. Until I remembered all the image quoting still going on in the toy thread despite myself and Gira bumping a sticky about it a day before. That just really rustles the jimmies.
You wanna know what also rustles the Jimmies? having to wait Three Hours for the Search Feature to come back just so you can type Peanut Butter only for it to tell you Peanut Butter IS TOO COMMON!

You know nothing of pain! :)
Godzilla

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

g2vd wrote:You wanna know what also rustles the Jimmies? having to wait Three Hours for the Search Feature to come back just so you can type Peanut Butter only for it to tell you Peanut Butter IS TOO COMMON!

You know nothing of pain! :)
It's a spam flood filter for that very reason. Use the "advanced search" settings. Also - not the place for these types of posts...
Last and final bump -

Consider this the only warning. It's not hard to read.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

One thing that can be done to ensure this rule is solidified is to either quote the person's post in question (after removing the images of course) or PM them about it.

Both of those send notifications to you, so it'd be easier for everyone to read.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

UltramanGoji wrote:- or PM them about it.
S'wat I do.
UltramanGoji wrote:One thing that can be done to ensure this rule is solidified is -
or they can just learn to prioritize reading forum pins and mod posts :P

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

You're expecting too much from this forum. Most of them don't even read the dang front page. :lol:

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Thank you for the notification. As someone who primarily resides in one section of TK and doesn't explore much, I don't get the news unless someone tells me otherwise. I'll keep this in mind. :)
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Wasn't the posting system already setted up to remove images from quotes or that was the Old Republic days of TK?

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

ILL GREEN wrote:Wasn't the posting system already setted up to remove images from quotes or that was the Old Republic days of TK?
Ye' old TK had that feature. I miss it a lot.
While the new forum does shrink the quoted image size - that's not the point :P

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Does this rule apply to threads like Caption This or other "game like" threads or is it just in the main threads like for example the SHMA thread, the Neca thread, what Toy did you just buy, ex....

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

godzilla1541 wrote:Does this rule apply to threads like Caption This or other "game like" threads or is it just in the main threads like for example the SHMA thread, the Neca thread, what Toy did you just buy, ex....
Everywhere except...Hmm...

Everywhere except Fan-fiction and Fan-Art because those are more "personal rules" threads. However - if you're quoting a wall of images, have common sense and courtesy and don't do it. No one likes to see it.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Bump for those who "browse via new posts".

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I feel like I need to bump this again -

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Another bump - because it seems people don't know whats up with this. So - i'm going to clarify.
The following IS okay:

1: If the picture/video is from a previous page and is quoted onto a new page AND if a duplicate image/video isn't present on the same page.
2: If the quoted images are in a spoiler tag and as long as they are kept WITHIN a spoiler tag. (I'd prefer you to not - if anything breaks within the Spoiler/Quote tag or how the tags internally work, that all will become undone and blast the page - try and keep this one to a minimum if possible - but i'm not going to fault you for trying.)
3: You CAN break the [pic][img][youtube] tag if you are quoting and post it as is. Ex: Removing a bracket - [ ]. I'd prefer you to not because it becomes another eyesore because now its just a mess of letters, symbols and number, but you tried :) . +1

The following is NOT okay:

1: Quoting a picture or video that is already on the same page.
2: Intentionally re-adding a moderator removed [img][pic][youtube] tag. This will result in the post being locked and warning issued. (Common sense)

Special Note:
S1: If you are quoting (within the allowed above) or posting a grotesquely large image. Either stick it in a spoiler tag, resize it to being "acceptable" using the [pic] tag or just posting the url. No one really wants to see an embedded 4000x3000 resolution image or a wall of them (since it gets cut off anyway ;) ). I know we are all excited or post via mobile - though it you can use the [img] tag on a mobile, you should be able to use a
Spoiler:
. No one has done this in a very long time, but I thought i'd mention it since how the [pic] tag works within a quote tag. *See original post.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Bump - you can guess why.