Godzilla and kaiju sightings and references in other shows

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Godzilla and kaiju sightings and references in other shows

Post by TheSecondComing »

Couldn't find a similar thread, so here we are. Post sightings of Toho kaiju so they can be added to the main site.

I was just watching the February 16th 2015 episode of Celebrity Name Game, where Godzilla and Mechagodzilla were both given as clues as part of the game. Godzilla was given in one round, but there was not enough time left on the clock for any clues to be given. Mechagodzilla was named in a later round, but was not successfully identified by the player.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla and kaiju sightings and references in other sho

Post by Dyrakro »

Godzilla is the most common kaiju so most shows reference him. I haven't listed the appearances of Godzilla and Co. in other Tokusatsu movies, series or monster movies in general (except the old Ultra-shows, those are listed in here :D).
New added references are marked in RED
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Godzilla in Simpsons (very often) , American Dad (Stan disguises as Godzilla to scare chinese parents), Drawn Together (he bullies Ling-Ling for betraying his origin)

The episode 'Giant Billy and Mandy Out Attack' (referencing Gamera, Godzilla (King Kittirah!!!), Ultraman) from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

Everybody hates Chris (he is mentioned by Chris's father during one of his speeches about never giving up: he asked Chris, whether Godzilla ever gave up when facing King Gidorah)

Stephen King's It (the book), It disguises as Rodan and scares the skreeonk out of a little boy, in the movie a comedian makes fun of Godzilla and an inflatable doll of him is later seen in a pool (sadly, the Rodan part didn't made it into the movie :/)

In one of the Austin Powers movie there is a BIG refernece to Godzilla (just look it up on YouTube)

In Seinfeld, Home Improvement and many other sitcoms of the '90s you can see Imperial Godzilla toys standing in the background, the same with appearances in child cartoons (I will add examples later).

Robot Chicken often parodies Godzilla, one of their latest clips contained a S.H. MonsterArts Godzilla.

The lair of Ursula from 'The little Mermaid' is the dead body of Godzilla.

In Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger: original japanese version) the Dragonzord resembles Mechagodzilla. The second episode of MMPR season 1 even had a monster fight between the TyrannoZord and a nameless monster which was the most memorable scene for me. There was even a fight between TyrannoZord and DragonZord which was one of the best fights ever! Furthermore many Power Rangers/ Super Sentai and also Kamen Rider bear a resemblance to kaijus. And in Super Sentai/ PR the monsters also get big and are rarely seen destroying a city.

In 'Total Drama Island', 'Batman: The Brave and the Bold', 'Pokemon' and many others we can hear Godzilla's roar.

In one of the first South Park episodes, Barbra Streisand transforms into Mechagodzilla and some other people are transforming into various other monsters (Gamera, Mothra, Ultraman)

In Rugrats the TV-monster Reptar resembles Godzilla. There was also a monster called Dactar, who resembled Rodan. In 'Rugrats in Paris' the babys take control of a giant mechanical Reptar and rampage through a city.

Various Godzilla monsters can be seen in the background of animes like Dragonball.

A 12-inch monster called 'Bonzilla' appeared in The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron.

Powerpuff Girls contained many giant monsters that resembled various monsters from Godzilla and Ultraman.

Doug's first movie contained a dream of Doug in which he saved the city from his arch-nemesis Roger who looks like Godzilla, destroying a city.

In the series Ugly Americans, Mechagodzilla can be seen eating cereals.

In Pingu, a giant Walrus (resembling maguma) can be seen. In another episode, a giant ice-sculpture looks like a raging Godzilla.

The Zillo Beast from Star Wars: The Clone Wars has a name resemblance to Godzilla (he was also one of the few living things, that knew of Palpatines position as Sith Lord). In the series are also two clones called 'Goji' and 'Rod' (Rod's helmet resembles Rodan).

In a horror episode of the Beaver Brothers the main characters are chased by a giant dragon that looks like Rodan.

In Super Smash Bros. Melee an event called 'The Gargantuas' in which Bowser and Donkey Kong fight on top of buildings.

'Journey 2: The Mysterious Island' contained a scene, in which one of the main characters screamed "Godzilla!" at a giant lizard.

The original Ultraman series had the monster Jirass, Ultra Q Gomess, furthermore many monsters were reused Toho costumes or used roars from Toho monsters (but I think I shouldn't count a kaiju series as a reference to a kaiju series :D).

In a Nike commercial, Godzilla played basketball with Charles Barkley.

In china there was a godzilla-shaped christmas tree with plastic dorsal fins, a fake breath and a christmas hat.

SeaLife gave a japanese giant crab the name 'Crabzilla'.

Sheldon from 'The Big Bang Theory' sometimes wears a shirt with Godzilla (monsters) silhouettes on it. One is even a shirt with silhouettes of nearly all Godzilla monsters.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles contained many references like a poster with King Ghidorah on it.

In Toys Story 2, Rex stomps through a city and is later referred to as Godspilla.

The music video for the song 'Number of the Beast' (by Iron Maiden) uses various scenes from Godzilla movies (Godzilla 1954-1964, ???-1975).

In an episode of DuckTales, a giant bull god destroys Duckburg, in another episode a djinni watches TV and a movie containing a fire-breathing lizard fighting a giant ankylosaurus-like monster can be seen.

Animaniacs had a godzilla-looking monster in their pre-opening.

The german cartoonist Ralph Ruthe often uses Godzilla and shows him in various situations (like planning with King Kong when they want to destroy which city (he even draws Godzilla for fans if requested, like he did for me ^^).

In Sonic X a godzilla look-alike is seen destroying a city.

Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert referred to Godzilla. There was also a special for the 2014 movie.

Super Hero Squad contained a three-headed dragon that resembled King Ghidorah.

In the muppet show, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew's gorilla detector looks like the head of Mechani-kong.

In one of the Super Mario Bros. episodes, Bowser transforms into 'Koopzilla', in another episode, Wendy and Larry Koopa believe, a giant monster that resembles Godzilla is their real father.

'Extreme Dinosaurs' had another Godzilla reference with Zogwalla. The evil raptors (actually they are Dromaeosaurus) use this giant animatronic to attack an american city.

In 'Malcolm in the middle' a scream of Lois was slowed down to sound like Godzilla.

In Hannah Montana (oh god, why did I just watch this show? D:) Miley is asking, whether the mother of a little brat is Godzilla.

There was a commercial for eBay with scenes taken from Godzilla 2014, a Snickers commercial with a so called 'SnickersGoji' suit and a car commercial with scenes from Godzilla 2014.

Many PokeMons are based from their design on Godzilla (and Ultra Kaijus) and others.

Cloverfield is the american version of Godzilla (the director went to Japan and saw all the Godzilla toys from Bandai and noticed the lack of an american monster (must've forgotten about King Kong xD) and thus, Cloverfield was born.

In 'Danny Phantom' some of the really big and threatening ghosts are using his roar.

In 'Cosmo and Wanda' there was a Dogzilla (can't say more about it, I think he was a mecha-monster or something like that).

The Reznor's from NSMB2 ('New Super Mario Bros. 2' a 3DS game) have a roar similar to Godzilla. Also Bowser is ín his gigantic form referred to as Koopzilla, furthermore he destroys the mushroom kingdom in 'Super Mario Galaxy 2' in this form.

In the first and the third Shinobi game are very direct references (the first game in general has nearly no boss that doesn't resemble a famous character of pop culture (Spiderman, Batman, etc.): Shinobi 1 contained a lizard that looked like a bright green Godzilla without his dorsal plates, he even breathed fire. In the third game there is a giant robot looking like Mechagodzilla II (and I'm sure he also used the roar of Godzilla, sadly he was one of the easiest bosses in the game :/)

In an anime, a giant T-Rex used the roar of Godzilla, a Triceratops the one of Gamera. Later they are seen fighting and the Tricertapos got killed (but he was able to hurt 'Godzillex', in general the anime was full of violence and gore).

In Kirby: Right Back at Ya! the 6th episode shows Kirby's arch nemesis King DeDeDe as Kingzilla in a TV-productin for DDD-TV (3D-TV).

Here in germany, a show is often using Godzilla for measuring and weight comparison (together with King Kong), the show is called 'Galileo', they even use music of Godzilla movies but that's not very often.

In Gremlins 2, the gremlins are seen watching 'The Beast from 20.000 Fanthoms'.

In 'Mars Attacks' they watch a scene from Godzilla vs. Biollante.

In the series of 'A Land Before Time' the main villain (Red Claw) sometimes used the roar of Zilla.

In one episode from the 'heute-Show' ('Today-Show', a comedic show which parodies current politics and other stuff) they were making fun of Kim Jong-Un, who threatened the world with a video message that he would attack the US, Europe, Asia and of course South Korea (you know simply everyone out there just for fun) and used the song 'We are the world' as background music. The moderator of heute-Show compared this with an own production, in a reused Godzilla scene (from Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla) he used the german hit 'Schni-Schna-Schnappi' as background music.

The Dragon Bone in "Majin Bone" uses the roar of Baragon, and Griffon Bone has a slightly changed Ebirah roar.
Furthermore, their time to fight has a limit of 3 minutes. Oh, and they surely like to use Rider Kicks.

The series "Danger 5" features various references: In some episodes, Jet Jaguar can be heard. Episode 6 of Season 1 is a complete reference on the kaiju eiga genre and features even references on Ultraman and the Super Sentai series.

The final episode of season 1 of Wicked Science included a T-rex fighting against a giant doll. The roar of this T-Rex uses the sounds from various Ultra kaijus (like Super COV)

Some dragons from Dragon Hunters share similarities with Godzilla kaijus and roars like the one from King of Mons, Super COV und Anguirus are used. Two episodes from season two include a giant dragon destroying a city, seeking for it's child.

In Super Metroid, Ridley, Draygon and Mother Brain have roars similar to Anguirus; Kraid, a giant crocodile and reference to Godzilla.

In American Dad a giant sea monster appears out of lake and has a roar made up of Super COV and some other kaijus.

The whole movie Batman Unlimited - Mechs vs. Mutants uses the concept of Pacific Rim, we even get a Killer Croc with freezing breath and a fight between him and Bane.

Last edited by Dyrakro on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 am, edited 8 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah I kind of agree with the above post^^ it gets excessive.
Just another example:
In Parks and Recs there's a line about Godzilla and mothra. Later in the series a blue vinyl godzilla appears in the background.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

There's also this on the main site: http://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/art_sighting.htm

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Found the mentioned anime:
Daikyouryu no jidai

First appearance of "Godzirex"
[url=ttps://youtu.be/jPO0yuiWvrM?t=5m16s]Awakening after the main characters began hiding in a cave[/url]
"Godzirex" vs. "Gametops King" :D

I recommend to watch the full movie since it has some really interesting moments and fights in it!

TheSecondComing
Futurian

I'm watching the movie Big from 1988. A 12 year old kid turns into Tom Hanks thanks to a magic fortune telling machine. He buys an apartment, and among the many other things he stocks it with is the 6 foot tall inflatable Godzilla made by Imperial. They even fight in one scene.

I guess I didn't say earlier but this topic is for kaiju sightings that aren't already in the article that KaijuFiend linked to.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Various kaiju roars can be heard in YuYu Hakusho from time to time. Rodan's roar was used for Kurama's Spirit Fox form and Hiei's Dragon of the Darkness Flame utilizes Gyaos' roar. Also Gamera's roar can be heard when Koenma is explaining the consequences if Sensui succeeds in opening the portal to Demon World.

Also Abby's sister made a quip about fighting Godzilla in the last episode of Sleepy Hollow.

I also can't help but feel that the Dragonball character Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is a partial spoof of Ultraman.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

The movie is called Pandemonium from 1982 and Godzilla is a steward on a plane to Tokyo. I submitted this to Arbok but no response, start at 5:16.

[/quote]

TheSecondComing
Futurian

I was just watching a movie called Species II. At the end of it, the "Patrick alien" is stabbed by a pitchfork, and roars in pain using Godzilla's roar.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Was just watching a Super Metroid edit of all the boss fights. Not only does Kraid sound a bit like Titanosaurus but I'm almost positive the sound effect for Mother Brain is a sped up Anguirus roar.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Was just watching a Super Metroid edit of all the boss fights. Not only does Kraid sound a bit like Titanosaurus but I'm almost positive the sound effect for Mother Brain is a sped up Anguirus roar.
Right, completely forgot the game, when I made the list *facepalm*
And Ridley also uses a roar similar to Anguirus in Super Metroid.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Re: Godzilla and kaiju sightings and references in other shows

It's an audio "sighting," but at the mixed martial arts event called PRIDE Grand Prix Opening Round 2000, fighter Masaaki Satake entered the arena to a version of the Monster Zero March, complete with Godzilla, Rodan, King Ghidorah, and Gorosaurus roars and sound effects.

He lost his fight to Mark Coleman in just over one minute.

I haven't find video of the fight other than the VHS I own, but the theme can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znsjFGta64

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Was just watching a Super Metroid edit of all the boss fights. Not only does Kraid sound a bit like Titanosaurus but I'm almost positive the sound effect for Mother Brain is a sped up Anguirus roar.
Crocomire is pretty much confirmed for using Titanosaurus' roar as well.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

The documentary Buena Vista Social Club (1999) is about revisiting Cuban music with the musicians from the pre-Castro days. American singer Ry Cooder was able to locate all of these singers and put together concerts with them in Amsterdam and New York City. The first thing shown in the documentary to show the groups' arrival in New York City is a massive SIZE DOES MATTER billboard which we all know is from "Godzilla."

The VHS release of it that I watched also has two promos for Stargate, "from the makers of Independence Day and Godzilla."

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

TheSecondComing wrote:It's an audio "sighting," but at the mixed martial arts event called PRIDE Grand Prix Opening Round 2000, fighter Masaaki Satake entered the arena to a version of the Monster Zero March, complete with Godzilla, Rodan, King Ghidorah, and Gorosaurus roars and sound effects.

He lost his fight to Mark Coleman in just over one minute.

I haven't find video of the fight other than the VHS I own, but the theme can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znsjFGta64
So that's what Ichrio grew up into.
Godzilla

TheSecondComing
Futurian

The Cannonball Run (1981) introduces the Japanese team of drivers (played by Jackie Chan and Michael Hui) on a Japanese talk show (hosted by Johnny Yune). Jackie is introduced as Japan's #1 race car driver, and a female actress on their program is introduced by an on-screen graphic as Japan's #1 actress, and Yune introduces her in broken English as the star of "Godzilla movie."

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Chapter 28 of the MOUSE manga features Zuki cosplaying as Godzilla, larva Mothra, and King Ghidorah in quick succession.

The second episode of the MOUSE anime also briefly shows the Gotengo and a Maser Cannon in a hanger of other vehicles owned by the protagonist.

Since MOUSE is full homages to classic Japanese media there are probably a bunch of other kaiju shoutouts in the manga.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

https://www.facebook.com/GormaruIsland/ ... 789514097/

Gormaru Island has shared that Godzilla is now a boss in Square Enix's game Kai-Ri-Sei Million Arthur.

Added in 7 minutes 2 seconds:
Just saw an episode of American Pickers where Frank buys a "Godzilla on Monster Island" poster for $50. I know it's a rerun but can't find the date of it right now.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

In the cartoon Dexter's Laboratory he is referenced twice throughout the series. In an episode titled "Monstory" both Dexter and Dee Dee turn into giant monsters, and Dexter turns into a creature resembling Godzilla. In another episode titled "They got Chops" Dexter is seen playing with a toy that resembles Godzilla named Gorgonzilla.
Resized Image

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Godzilla is mentioned (and still-shot) by Fred Savage in the dinosaur documentary "Dinosaurs!" (1987.)

In the unrelated documentary "Son of Dinosaurs" (1988), a 6 foot inflatable Godzilla made by Imperial is visible in the house of hosts Gary Owens and Eric Boardman.