Best and Worse Kaiju Redesigns

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Best and Worse Kaiju Redesig

Postby G2000 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:18 am

Transapient has revived his Kaiju Revolution series with this redesign of Jyarumu from the old Godzilla: Trading Battle video game. Right away the MUTO influences in this design are immediately apparent. I find it interesting that rather than do his own take on the MUTOs he’s opted to split their traits between other kaiju; he gave the MUTO’s pronounced sexual dimorphism to Varan (Varan being the gracile, flight-capable male, while the more robust and flightless female of the species is his take on Komodiathrax from the ‘98 animated spinoff), while giving the MUTO’s distinct “stealth fighter” aesthetics, energy draining abilities, and inherent danger to the natural order to Jyarumu. He also seems to have incorporated elements of Dagahra into his take on Jyarumu, framing his species as an ancient enemy of Mothra’s species while also having the ability to shed scales emitting a dangerous prion-like disease as a result of his metabolism in a manner seemingly analogous to Dagahra’s ability to produce Barems as a result of his consumption of pollution.

An aside: while in this thread we tend to focus almost exclusively on the actual designs themselves, I sort of think the descriptions of the designs often deserve some attention as well, particularly in lore-heavy redesign “series.” There are often a number of interesting details about how the monsters are reimagined, from details of characterization or powers not immediately apparent from the picture alone, or the artist’s thought . For example, while his redesigns are not my favorite I do enjoy the writing in TrollMan’s Folly of Man series (Daikaiju and other assorted beasts and threats from Toho mixed with Cold War tensions and a sprinkling of cosmic horror to boot), with a number of interesting little details (in his canon Battras are the males of the Mothra species). Similarly, Transapient includes a number of neat little characterization, story, and power details in his Kaiju Revolution descriptions; most notably his revised origin for Ghidorah, making him a former ally of Godzilla that ultimately went insane.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Best and Worse Kaiju Redesigns

Postby Dv-218 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:42 am

The bloody madman actually did it :lol:

Agreed with G2000 above. Regardless of the designs (not a fan of some of them either), this dude and Trollman have some of the most creative lore ideas I have seen in a "Godzilla universe" fan project recently.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:32 am

I rather like those designs, especially Jyarumu.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...

gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide

Holy poop man.

My DA

GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian

Postby GodzillavsRayquaza » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:15 am

King of the Monsters wrote:You guys, this Godzilla was clearly the next GINO from the point its silhouette was revealed on that poster and it wasn't just the Heisei Godzilla. Any true fan would feel the same way.

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Man, I can't believe this series that started as a condemnation of nuclear weapons, Cold War arm races and called for humanity coming together MIGHT DARE TO BE (le gasp) political

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 am

I can definitely appreciate the more "alien" take on Godzilla even if the final design is not something I find particularly appealing; while I enjoy many of the ideas that went into the design (evolved like nothing else on earth, skin covered in armored epidural plates, etc.) I don't quite like the final body shape and the look of the dorsal fins. It's pretty neat though, sort of an odd hybrid between Shin Godzilla and Godzilla Earth in execution.

The Ghidorah I'm a bit more receptive to; he looks like something truly alien and built for spaceflight, but I'd be lying if I wasn't just a tad dissapointed that it seems that he's unable to land and melee Godzilla like the classic Ghidorah can.

Even still, both designs are pretty neat for what they are (intentionally different takes for a new Godzilla redesign contest of the sort that goes through the fandom every few years)
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Well they're definetly unique, I'll give them that. Kinda cool how Ghidorah is essentially an organic sattelite that shoots black holes from space.

Not my cup of tea at all, but I can appreciate the unique, if not bizzare aspects of them.
Boo-Hoo, I'm leaking lubricant!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:50 pm

I'm gonna be "that guy" and say Orbital Ghidorah is a fine idea and design for a monster, but not necessarily for Ghidorah. Either way it's quite cool.
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Quinnred's designs are quite unique, but I really don't like that Ghidorah. The Godzilla design's kinda decent.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

tyrantgoji
Futurian

Postby tyrantgoji » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:05 pm

maybe you guys have heard of Pyrus-Leonidas before, but he's been doing fan art for some of the Titans we didn't see in KOTM and his versions are skreoonking fantastic! :D

here's links to my favorites.

Abaddon

https://www.deviantart.com/pyrus-leonid ... -801995313

Baphomet

https://www.deviantart.com/pyrus-leonid ... -802149728

Orochi

https://www.deviantart.com/pyrus-leonid ... -802788018

Leivathan

https://www.deviantart.com/pyrus-leonid ... -801858212

And personal favorite, Sekhmet

https://www.deviantart.com/pyrus-leonid ... -802401810

there's a couple others that he made, including the ones we did see like Behemoth, but i don't wanna clog up the thread.l

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:19 pm

Pyrus makes some great kaiju designs. Leviathan, Abaddon, and Orochi are my favorites out of that bunch.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:34 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:maybe you guys have heard of Pyrus-Leonidas before, but he's been doing fan art for some of the Titans we didn't see in KOTM and his versions are skreoonking fantastic! :D

Abaddon

Baphomet

Orochi

Leivathan

there's a couple others that he made, including the ones we did see like Behemoth, but i don't wanna clog up the thread.l

Hm... I dunno. Most of them are just dragons, and Sekhmet literally has the head of Nala from The Lion King.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Trollmans got quite a sweet reimagining of Gezora right here!

His Maguma, on the other hand... Albeit it does look like something Dougal Dixon would cook up.
Image Image

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:36 am

Dino-Mario wrote:Trollmans got quite a sweet reimagining of Gezora right here!

His Maguma, on the other hand... Albeit it does look like something Dougal Dixon would cook up.

Lol you do have a point, it does look like something straight out of "After Man". Even drawn in the same style. Dixon would be proud :lol:

Love his take on Gezora though. Looks more like an actual cephalopod, but still recognizeable as the classic Gezora. His story in this is also pretty damn interesting, and I dig his explanation about the "Yog virus". Trollmans's series has some well thought out worldbuilding.

Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent

Postby Dracosaurian » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:31 am

Dv-218 wrote:

Lol you do have a point, it does look like something straight out of "After Man". Even drawn in the same style. Dixon would be proud :lol:

Love his take on Gezora though. Looks more like an actual cephalopod, but still recognizeable as the classic Gezora. His story in this is also pretty damn interesting, and I dig his explanation about the "Yog virus". Trollmans's series has some well thought out worldbuilding.

I find it very interesting that his Maguma is a primate rather than a reptile or pinniped.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Postby GigaBowserG » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:00 am

[]https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/06b6a557-99c9-4f8a-b2af-730c4891743f/dda8dkh-23c51e10-184a-4f57-a879-0059532ab4fb.png/v1/fill/w_1131,h_707,q_70,strp/folly_of_man__gezora_by_trollmans_dda8dkh-pre.jpg[/]

That Gezora is superb! The only issue I have is with the eyes; don't care for how they look like actual cephalopod eyes. The weird human-like eyes on the original have a sort of derpy charm to them. Just a minor complaint, though.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:02 am

Holy poop that is a Gezora I can see in modern FX.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian

Postby GodzillavsRayquaza » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 pm

From Deviantart user DalekMercy

Orochi

Spoiler:

The rest of these are from a series of redesigns/an AU the artist came up. I’d definitely recommend checking out the whole gallery, it’s got a lot of cool stuff in it. Some examples of that cool stuff, which make much more sense upon reading the descriptions for them:

Yoroi Goji

Spoiler:

Shin SpaceGodzilla

Spoiler:

What will surely be the most controversial here, Anguirus.

Spoiler:

Biollante

Spoiler:
King of the Monsters wrote:You guys, this Godzilla was clearly the next GINO from the point its silhouette was revealed on that poster and it wasn't just the Heisei Godzilla. Any true fan would feel the same way.

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Man, I can't believe this series that started as a condemnation of nuclear weapons, Cold War arm races and called for humanity coming together MIGHT DARE TO BE (le gasp) political

Kiryu2012
Kwaidan

Postby Kiryu2012 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:17 pm

I really like those designs. They fit well for the Shin AU the artist's working on.

gigan72 wrote:

Holy poop man.

My DA

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:45 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:maybe you guys have heard of Pyrus-Leonidas before, but he's been doing fan art for some of the Titans we didn't see in KOTM and his versions are skreoonking fantastic! :D

Abaddon

Baphomet

Orochi

Leivathan

Hm... I dunno. Most of them are just dragons, and Sekhmet literally has the head of Nala from The Lion King.

Agreed, very generic imo.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

UltimateDitto
Futurian

Postby UltimateDitto » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:07 pm

The Shin monsters look awesome!

The Titans...eh.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Return to “Fan Art, Music, Movies & Games”