Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Best and Worse Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Make the spines more Toho and smaller for the tail and that's the best redesign I've ever seen
Honestly, my only complaint is that the toes are too long. They shouldn't be nonexistent like 2014 but to me, they look like the "finger braces" meme.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dopepope
Interpol Agent

Post by dopepope »

Looks pretty similar to this actually.
DOPEPOPE: zBrush Commissions Open! Contact Me for Details.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

dopepope wrote:Image

Isn't that just GMK?

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
dopepope wrote:Image

Isn't that just GMK?
It is but the pose is extremely similar, they might've used it as a reference
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Although the head looks good for Godzilla, I'm leaning towards the "Worst" side here.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Fucking terrible. All of these generic reptile-looking Godzillas are piss-awful and I sincerely wonder if the people who enjoy these types of redesigns are even fans of the franchise.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Image

Although the head looks good for Godzilla, I'm leaning towards the "Worst" side here.
Godzilla's size is more of a sin than his look here.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:

Godzilla's size is more of a sin than his look here.
Let me tell you, there's something even WORSE.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

What is with people and giving Godzilla such not only such generic redesigns, but automatically thinking that "BIGGER IS BETTER"? It's not! Having him be bigger than the Burj Khalifla is just overdoing it!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

UltramanGoji wrote:Fucking terrible. All of these generic reptile-looking Godzillas are piss-awful and I sincerely wonder if the people who enjoy these types of redesigns are even fans of the franchise.
"But it's realistic and accurate to real dinosaurs!"

Heck some of the redesigns by some of the artists hired to work on G2014 makes me question if they understand Godzilla is monster. A few of the designs they tried passing made him a generic dinosaur like so many DA pics. Same thing with some of the concept art for Legendary Rodan & King Ghidorah. Ironically most of the concept art for Monsterverse King Kong ended up being mostly similar to finalized design we got, a bigfoot monster instead of an oversized gorilla.

Fan art on DA is one thing, but you'd think artist hired to work on a big budget movie would be just as concerned with getting Godzilla's design as far away from generic dinsoaurs as they were with getting Kong's as far away from Perter Jackson's design.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm sorry in advance.

Taken from the bio:
HEIGHT: 660 meters
LENGTH: 900 meters
WEIGHT: 40,000 tonnes
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:

Taken from the bio:
This thing is literally just screaming "Kill me please".
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Living Corpse wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Fucking terrible. All of these generic reptile-looking Godzillas are piss-awful and I sincerely wonder if the people who enjoy these types of redesigns are even fans of the franchise.
"But it's realistic and accurate to real dinosaurs!"

Heck some of the redesigns by some of the artists hired to work on G2014 makes me question if they understand Godzilla is monster. A few of the designs they tried passing made him a generic dinosaur like so many DA pics. Same thing with some of the concept art for Legendary Rodan & King Ghidorah. Ironically most of the concept art for Monsterverse King Kong ended up being mostly similar to finalized design we got, a bigfoot monster instead of an oversized gorilla.

Fan art on DA is one thing, but you'd think artist hired to work on a big budget movie would be just as concerned with getting Godzilla's design as far away from generic dinsoaurs as they were with getting Kong's as far away from Perter Jackson's design.
I think you're really missing the point of the more "out-there" concept designs for these movies. Those aren't about making a final product in one shot, they're about spitballing ideas, taking elements from some of the worse designs that you think can be used in another. This quote from the artbook of G14 really sums it up:

When redesigning something like Godzilla, it's important to take the concept to its absolute extreme to know "Okay, where are the boundaries? At what point does it stop being recognizable?"

That's not at all comparable to these deviantART users. They're not trying to understand what's fundamental to Godzilla's design. They're just making things more generic because they think "real-world accuracy = good" and are usually poisoned by obnoxious paleoartists who throw fits whenever a dinosaur isn't colored correctly.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I'm sorry in advance.

Taken from the bio:
Over twice as tall as Godzilla Earth, only twice as heavy as Showa Godzilla.
Hmmmmmmmm.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I'll be the odd one out and admit that I actually like the reptilian redesigns for Godzilla. The heads could use some work to make them more distinct as Godzilla, but I honestly can't help but enjoy these designs.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

While i will say this isn't another bad realistic design...that's all i can say, because wow this doesn't even remotely resemble Godzilla.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

To balance things out though, i will say this ones pretty good looking. Reptilian, but still looks like Godzilla. Plus it's a model by Dopepope!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Pretty sure that's a custom design by Maverick Centigrade, one of our users here.

I don't really like the head or hands, but that's really all I can say that's bad. It's fine.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tyrantgoji wrote:While i will say this isn't another bad realistic design...that's all i can say, because wow this doesn't even remotely resemble Godzilla.

Make it grey and it's a passable Orga redesign.

Added in 5 minutes 16 seconds:
tyrantgoji wrote:To balance things out though, i will say this ones pretty good looking. Reptilian, but still looks like Godzilla. Plus it's a model by Dopepope!

Wait, that's Maverick Centigrade's Godzilla!
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Double post
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.