Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Best and Worse Kaiju Redesigns

Post by G2000 »

Neat Monsterverse Destoroyah concept from Aaron DeWyer/KaijuGroupie84, from his own (now outdated) imagining of how a Legendary Godzilla series might develop. His idea was that Ghidorah would ultimately be felled by the Oxygen Destroyer, and that the aftereffects of the weapon would reanimate and mutate the space dragon into Destoroyah. You can definitely see this reflected in the design, which draws clear influence from Ghidorah and Monster X (from the remnants of golden scales in some areas to the vestigial heads emerging from it's shoulders).

KoTM spoilers below:
Spoiler:
While obviously his scenario does not gibe with the events of KoTM - King Ghidorah is utterly unharmed by the Oxygen Destroyer when it is used against him, an effect of his alien biology - I might could see them using a similar explanation if they were to feature Destoroyah in Godzilla vs Kong, especially considering the recovered Ghidorah head at the end of the film (which had been exposed to the Oxygen Destroyer)
Last edited by G2000 on Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I actually really like that Destoroyah. It retains the general look of the original well, while slimming it down enough that it looks reasonably mobile and capable of becoming a T&C juggernaut. The arms could be a bit larger and longer, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

JAGzilla wrote:I actually really like that Destoroyah. It retains the general look of the original well, while slimming it down enough that it looks reasonably mobile and capable of becoming a T&C juggernaut. The arms could be a bit larger and longer, though.
T&C means tooth and claw right

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

G2000 wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:I actually really like that Destoroyah. It retains the general look of the original well, while slimming it down enough that it looks reasonably mobile and capable of becoming a T&C juggernaut. The arms could be a bit larger and longer, though.
T&C means tooth and claw right
Yep. It used to be a fairly commonly used abbreviation around here, though I guess I haven't seen anyone use it lately...

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Well the Godzilla Extreme commission by Emily Stepp is done. I think it came out great, this is definitely the final rendition of the design.

https://www.deviantart.com/emilystepp/a ... -798462827
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Mon May 20, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

dopepope
Interpol Agent

Post by dopepope »

Yes, Emily Stepp does great work. That's looking really cool.
DOPEPOPE: zBrush Commissions Open! Contact Me for Details.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

The artwork looks phenomenal but the design looks like literally ever other Godzilla redesign on Deviantart…
Facts don't care about your feelings

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Ben Shapiro wrote:The artwork looks phenomenal but the design looks like literally ever other Godzilla redesign on Deviantart…
I can't help it now I prefer Godzilla to have maximum overt reptilian features. ;)

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Transapient posted some more sketches of his Godzilla redesign for his Kaiju Revolution fanseries. Have to say, I didn’t start out liking his Godzilla redesign too much (though his other redesigns for KR were all pretty much on point) but it’s definitely growing on me. Especially like the Shin-style split jaw, the nicitating membranes, and his crocodilian tail (as well as the idea that he uses it as a hunting weapon)
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Yet another Godzilla redesign from r-heinart, this one based on monitor lizards (evidently this version is a mutated mosasaur). I actually sort of like how his head and neck look, but I really am not on board with his overly-lizard-like body and the stubby dorsal fins.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The arms and fins need a little help, but I'm on board otherwise.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

A series of kaiju redesigns by TrollMans for his “Folly of Man” story/timeline. I really like his Mothra, have mixed feelings on Rodan and the Skullcrawlers, and don’t much care for his take on Godzilla (looks a tad too fishy for me).
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

The Rodan and Mothra are winners in my book. I have them favorited on DA.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

All of them are ugly as shit but the Mothra is the least offending of them all.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Godzilla and Rodan are my favorites, with Mothra and Skullcrawler being interesting concepts.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Mothra looks okay, same with Rodan except for that downward-curved beak. Godzilla is your average DA redesign and the Skullcrawlers....my god that is hideous. It's barely recognizable and overdesigned. What made the Skullcrawlers cool is their very simple but very distinct design.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

what on earth is wrong with that Skullcrawler.

everything else looks fine except that..... abomination.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

That Rodan looks way more like a Gyaos.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Best and Worse Kaiju Redesig

Post by G2000 »

Transapient has revived his Kaiju Revolution series with this redesign of Jyarumu from the old Godzilla: Trading Battle video game. Right away the MUTO influences in this design are immediately apparent. I find it interesting that rather than do his own take on the MUTOs he’s opted to split their traits between other kaiju; he gave the MUTO’s pronounced sexual dimorphism to Varan (Varan being the gracile, flight-capable male, while the more robust and flightless female of the species is his take on Komodiathrax from the ‘98 animated spinoff), while giving the MUTO’s distinct “stealth fighter” aesthetics, energy draining abilities, and inherent danger to the natural order to Jyarumu. He also seems to have incorporated elements of Dagahra into his take on Jyarumu, framing his species as an ancient enemy of Mothra’s species while also having the ability to shed scales emitting a dangerous prion-like disease as a result of his metabolism in a manner seemingly analogous to Dagahra’s ability to produce Barems as a result of his consumption of pollution.

An aside: while in this thread we tend to focus almost exclusively on the actual designs themselves, I sort of think the descriptions of the designs often deserve some attention as well, particularly in lore-heavy redesign “series.” There are often a number of interesting details about how the monsters are reimagined, from details of characterization or powers not immediately apparent from the picture alone, or the artist’s thought . For example, while his redesigns are not my favorite I do enjoy the writing in TrollMan’s Folly of Man series (Daikaiju and other assorted beasts and threats from Toho mixed with Cold War tensions and a sprinkling of cosmic horror to boot), with a number of interesting little details (in his canon Battras are the males of the Mothra species). Similarly, Transapient includes a number of neat little characterization, story, and power details in his Kaiju Revolution descriptions; most notably his revised origin for Ghidorah, making him a former ally of Godzilla that ultimately went insane.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

The bloody madman actually did it :lol:

Agreed with G2000 above. Regardless of the designs (not a fan of some of them either), this dude and Trollman have some of the most creative lore ideas I have seen in a "Godzilla universe" fan project recently.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:49 am, edited 4 times in total.