Godzilla Films Fan-Remasters

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Re: Showa Hi-Vision Transfers Remaster

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

How is it this guy can do a better job with with color correcting these transfers better than Toho? At least Criterion gets a pass for trying to improve the look. It boggles my mind that they seem to to like screwing us Americans with crappy transfers and not giving love to the Titra dubs.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

smagal
Samurai

Post by smagal »

What programs do you use for such editions ? Color correction, sharpness etc. ??

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

nearly year long update, hope to upgrade my computer so i can actually render these things out quicker. here were some samples i had laying around. i havent touched em in a year. Also this is DAM version 2, version 1 is still on my tumblr i think, but its got this weird reddish/pink hue i hate.

Drive with bluray ready video samples (dont play them from drive, download them and then view them for best quality): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Stills:
Last edited by airforce111 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Any chance will you do Mothra vs. Godzilla next?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:39 am Any chance will you do Mothra vs. Godzilla next?
They are in the mix already but unfortunately that and astromonster are beyond saving. of course I do have the champion editions and I could splice in those, but even then thsoe recordings have your typical broadcast artifacting so no matter what it won't look the best. I still plan to do them though.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Wow, ok so first of all, fuck Mediafire where I hosted these versions, they let me upload my 22gb file, but now they changed the policy, me as the owner can't even download my own 22gb file anymore and I have to pay. I am signed in tm my account, I cant retrieve files that are mine. Imagine uploading a big file to google drive, then woops one day google decides to change their policy and limit downloading your own files. That is what happened with this shitty service. I cannot retrieve my files back from this dumb service. Mediafire is a godamn joke. I am livid. These are MY OWN files in MY OWN account they are asking me to pay to retrieve, that they allowed me to upload in the first place.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

airforce111 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:18 pm Wow, ok so first of all, skreeonk Mediafire where I hosted these versions, they let me upload my 22gb file, but now they changed the policy, me as the owner can't even download my own 22gb file anymore and I have to pay. I am signed in tm my account, I cant retrieve files that are mine. Imagine uploading a big file to google drive, then woops one day google decides to change their policy and limit downloading your own files. That is what happened with this shitty service. I cannot retrieve my files back from this dumb service. Mediafire is a godamn joke. I am livid. These are MY OWN files in MY OWN account they are asking me to pay to retrieve, that they allowed me to upload in the first place.
Damn, that's messed up.

MONSTER MANIC
Samurai

Post by MONSTER MANIC »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:21 pm I have recordings of the Champion Festival edits that've been broadcast on TV in Japan recently. Feel free to message me if you want 'em.
I'm sorry to be a bother, but could you PM me the link?
I'm very curious to see them, thanks in advance.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

needless to say this project wont be needed now that there are proper 4k remasters going on. I worked on a 1080p "De-broadcast" edit of the invasion of the astromonster 4k recording that's out there. my edit just tries to make it look less "digital" removing digital artifacting and cleaning it up while enhancing some detail. very small contrast adjustments made, some slight sharpness added, and a fine grain layer added on top to smooth out color banding to get it to look as much as an original encode as possible, inside a bluray compliant stream

Uses the japanese bluray pcm audio, 2nd track with 5.1 dts-hd tracks that are re-edited and synced up with this new 4k version at 1080p. I honestly haven't touched much with hevc 4k encoding so I am not sure what the best settings are to retain grain and have it be bluray compliant (I fussed around with it but didn't get good results) so that's why I'm only uploading a 1080p h264 version (that and 4k would be too big to upload). This source recording was a special case, it seems like this was recorded in extremely higher quality than the others, so I'm not able to do this same edit on the other films that have broadcast versions out there and have them look anywhere near this good (even the 50 gig mothra vs godzilla recording and the 35 gig ghidrah sources don't look this good). Anyway, those films are coming out soon on official 4k uhd anyway so it doesn't matter. PM for links.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla Films Fan-Remasters

Post by airforce111 »

Well I kinda take that previous post back, because its obvious we have another type of "hi-vision" debacle on our hands with these 4k releases, and it's what I like to call, DNR-GATE (dnr=digital noise removal) and it seems to be an issue with these 4k UHD releases. I've been experimenting with TOPAZ AI upscaler and it's quite incredible. Here's the megalon 1080p (4k remaster print) stream I AI upscaled to 4K, and it looks absolutely incredible.

Screenshots and clip examples here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rA-zvf ... V6Jq0/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14-R5_a ... 8K_SS/view

With that said, the source for that Megalon broadcast is not all perfect so I'm not going to continue with that. Instead, I will pivot to hopefully use this AI tool to bring back detail and sharpness from the OFFICIAL releases. If that megalon file can look that good with AI, just imagine bringing back in detail on an official release. Stay tuned.
Last edited by airforce111 on Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Example of modifications to the DAM UHD release. The AI did very well. The hard part was finding the sweet spot between getting it detailed and sharp enough, vs too much AI artifacting. This is as good as I can boost it or else AI artifacts start popping up like crazy. I'm still tweaking it, some issues I notice is some straight lines are too sharp and adds some aliasing, I'll have to dial that back hopefully not losing too much detail.

Video Examples (you have to download the actual file, google drive preview is low quality)

4K version:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1FAL6 ... sp=sharing

1080p version:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GdFiBB ... sp=sharing

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

decided to work on the megalon release since i had incredible results with AI compression artifiacts removal. i ended up doing the whole film already, rendering out specific scenes differently with different AI models and then putting it together. going to do a final 4k render over night, then have to do a render to hevc and h264 and upload, example restoring (left original, right AI restored):

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

1080p version is finally rendered, just needs to finish uploading (18 gigs, with japanese mono and 5.1 with eng subs) heres just a comparison of kinds of stuff fixed from the original 1080 tv airing then AI'd to 4k with some fixing in after effects. Pretty much incredible results. 4k version currently rendering (will be around 50-60 gigs)

Original Broadcast recording:

AI 4K Fixed:

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Godzilla vs Megalon 4K RE-Remaster (1080p variant) is uploaded. PM for details. 4K UHD version currently rendering out
Last edited by airforce111 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Last edited by airforce111 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Could you try doing a re-master for War of the Gargantaus?

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:31 pm Could you try doing a re-master for War of the Gargantaus?
theres no 4k broadcast for that one out yet

Frankensten vs baragon is complete, just need to sync audio and subtitles then upload.

4k version of megalon almost completed uploading but due to dumb mistakes (accidentally ctrl + s upload page wrong window) restarted the upload, and then my chrome crashed and restarted the 2nd time upload, now have to upload it all over again a 3rd time, will take 12 hours frustrating!!! ugh.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

I've tried uploading the 4k of megalon 6 failed times now, at this point im pretty much just not gonna upload the 4k version. its like theres always an issue with the upload (this last time archive 400 bad file error or some BS) whatever.

I'm uploading the 1080p version of frankenstein next. Ill get to the 4k's some oether week when im not stressing out over these uploading issues ugh
Last edited by airforce111 on Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Frankenstein vs Baragon is complete (1080p version) pm for details

UHD resolution versions are going to have to upload as multiple zip files in parts, due to issues with uploads failing.

dmwad
Young Farmer

Post by dmwad »

airforce111 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:48 pm Frankenstein vs Baragon is complete (1080p version) pm for details

UHD resolution versions are going to have to upload as multiple zip files in parts, due to issues with uploads failing.
Any progress on the 4K Megalon upload? Is there anywhere else you could potentially upload it to?