Godzilla: Resurrection - The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, combined

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
anzilla
Samurai

Godzilla: Resurrection - The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, combined

Post by anzilla »

This project is a fan edit of The Return of Godzilla and its Americanized recut, Godzilla 1985, known as Godzilla: Resurrection. While the original Japanese version of the film is still the definitive one, I’ve always held a soft spot in my heart for Raymond Burr’s scenes in 1985, and had always wondered what the final film would have been like had he been present in the Japanese cut.

This re-edit seeks to accomplish just that, while also streamlining the slower pacing of the original cut with suggestions from 1985 to combine the best of both worlds. The film will still be highly critical of both the United States and the Soviet Union, and will work to marginalize the more humorous aspects of the added Pentagon scenes. I'm also using this opportunity to re-grade The Return of Godzilla, as the print used for the American Kraken blu-ray suffers from soft contrast and an altogether dull appearance, while '85's picture has had its color timing altered towards the blue spectrum, which will necessitate its alteration back to the original color pallette. Finally, this cut will feature a brand new opening to the film, one that seeks to definitely tie the new Godzilla to the original beast in an eerie and unforgettable way.

A very special thanks to Red Menace Official for the use of his reconstruction of Godzilla 1985 in this fan edit.

I'll be keeping everyone updated here in this thread, as well as on my multiple social media and Wordpress accounts. If you'd like to visit them or give them a follow, my main artistic blog is temporalproductionsonline.wordpress.com, with Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr linked accounts, while my movie fan page with additional info is themoviemaestroblog.wordpress.com, with the same linked accounts listed above. I am of course on YouTube and Vimeo as Temporal Productions.
"Oh no, there goes Tokyo..."
https://damoviemaestro.tumblr.com/

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla: Resurrection - The Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 1985, combined

Post by cmdmstudios »

Honestly, I was actually considering doing pretty much the same thing, though, it seems you beat me to the punch. I'm interested in seeing what exactly you put out.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

This is actually an awesome idea. Good luck!
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I look forward to seeing this!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Genuinely interested to see how this turns out. I agree with you on the Japanese original and the Americanized version; the original is obviously the superior version, but I too hold a soft spot for those Raymond Burr scenes. I really look forward to seeing this.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

Honestly, I was actually considering doing pretty much the same thing, though, it seems you beat me to the punch. I'm interested in seeing what exactly you put out.
Thanks cmdmstudios, and given the nature of fan edits being an all-inclusive community thing, I encourage you to still give yours a try. You never know, we may end up with some different ideas in the process!

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

anzilla wrote:
Thanks cmdmstudios, and given the nature of fan edits being an all-inclusive community thing, I encourage you to still give yours a try. You never know, we may end up with some different ideas in the process!
Quite true. But it also gives me time to work on a fan edit of G2K. Basically taking the Japanese cut and editing it along the lines of the US cut, but also making a few special changes. ;)
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This sounds awesome! Can't wait to see it!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

cmdmstudios wrote:
anzilla wrote:Thanks cmdmstudios, and given the nature of fan edits being an all-inclusive community thing, I encourage you to still give yours a try. You never know, we may end up with some different ideas in the process!
Quite true. But it also gives me time to work on a fan edit of G2K. Basically taking the Japanese cut and editing it along the lines of the US cut, but also making a few special changes. ;)
A G2000 edit and G1984+G1985 mix both sound fantastic. Best of luck to both of you! :)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Big question, though- are you keeping the 85 ending with the additional roar and the Burr narration?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Good luck!
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It would be cool if more fans could do more hybrid cuts of Toho films. For example, an amalgamated cut of Godzilla 1954 with its 1956 re-edit.

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

Big question, though- are you keeping the 85 ending with the additional roar and the Burr narration?
I will actually be doing a bit of a hybrid version of the end scene, with the G85 roar and the Burr narration, but with some cuts inspired by the Japanese version. The best example I can recall for you right now will be that the zoom-in of Hayashida's face occurs in it's original place, over the big on-screen eruption of Mt. Mihara, and not when Steve Martin begins his speech.
It would be cool if more fans could do more hybrid cuts of Toho films. For example, an amalgamated cut of Godzilla 1954 with its 1956 re-edit.
I hadn't considered that particular idea, but now I'm wondering if that might be a good one!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

anzilla wrote:
I will actually be doing a bit of a hybrid version of the end scene, with the G85 roar and the Burr narration, but with some cuts inspired by the Japanese version. The best example I can recall for you right now will be that the zoom-in of Hayashida's face occurs in it's original place, over the big on-screen eruption of Mt. Mihara, and not when Steve Martin begins his speech.
Fantastic! I can't wait to see it!

Maranatha!

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

A little update on my progress so far on my main blog: https://temporalproductionsonline.wordp ... s-project/

Basically, I have to start the whole timeline over, I stupidly did not pay attention to the fact that I was working with compressed audio, and I want the best possible quality for this project. Derp.

But it's coming along great, this is the most fun I've had on a video project in a while!

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

It's been about a week, how bout an update?

https://temporalproductionsonline.wordp ... audio-mix/

I just finished the Ihama Attack, that was a fun, three-day process. I'll have to upload that one as a clip to show it off.

Til then, I have posted the opening wreck of the Yahata Maru. This is still unfinished without a regrading and contrast fixing, and I have yet to generate the subtitles, but the audio and main cut have all been finished, so this is pretty much how it will appear in the finished product.

https://vimeo.com/257996782

password is "daikoku"

Kore321
Yojimbo

Post by Kore321 »

Awesome, cant wait to see how this looks. Good luck!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Awesome work! Keep it up!
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

I have been a bit on-and-off with working on Resurrection, but significant progress is being made. I am now into Godzilla's landing at Tokyo, having just completed re-editing the attack of the metro train.

I do have a few more in-progress clips for you all, I just have to go about uploading them, I will have one new one for you at the bottom of the post. I tried to upload these to YouTube, but alas, even as unlisted or private videos, that damn copyright detector immediately blocks them, so for now, I'm stuck with Vimeo's limited storage space. I am going to try DailyMotion however, it seems they are a little more forgiving.

I also want to announce that I have secured the help of a second fellow editor in acquiring material for this project: Servanov. After reading on the forum about his reconstruction project of The Return of Godzilla's English On-Screen Text International Cut, I realized that this fan edit was a means to finally remove the pesky burned-in Japanese text on the Kraken Releasing print, given that Godzilla 1985 did not contain many of the shots I need to replace. Servanov has agreed to provide me with in-progress work for these shots so that I may deliver a more complete experience. Thanks, Servanov!

Taking a break from the editing last night, I was inspired to change my artwork for the edit to something that felt a little more '80s. Given the entire premise of this project is to envision an alternate international version of The Return of Godzilla, it felt important to my sensibilities to have a poster that matches that. The biggest change is the logo; simpler, more original. So without further ado, here it is:

With that being all I have today, I will leave you with the newest in-progress clip: the Ihama Attack. Password is reactor. Enjoy!

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

Hey everyone! Haven't had many chances to work on Resurrection, life once again intrudes (rudely).

I am currently working on restructuring my professional and fan editing spheres to keep them separate, and make a little more sense--so in the very near future, I will be directing all of my fan edit endeavors to my Movie Maestro blog and away from the Temporal Productions website. I'll be providing links.

I also have several new in-progress clips from Resurrection, I'll be sharing those soon!

Thanks to all of you for showing interest and offering your support!