Godzilla: Omniverse [V.0.13 BETA Update]

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters REDUX

Post by LegendZilla »

NoName wrote:July - August 2018 Progress Report:

. Additional stages complete.
. Moguera completed. Destroyah in progress.
. Completed Star Falcon and Land Moguera. Moguera will be able to detach at any time during the middle of a match. Like the film, he'll only be able to do so while hovering.

Way to go on that Mogera! By the way, I remember a fan-made sprite of the Toho Kong on Deviantart, but i’m Not sure if it’s still up.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Utsuno would be an amazing addition, and Zone Fighter.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

LegendZilla wrote:

. Completed Star Falcon and Land Moguera. Moguera will be able to detach at any time during the middle of a match. Like the film, he'll only be able to do so while hovering.

Way to go on that Mogera! Bye, I remember a fan-made sprite of the Toho Kong on Deviantart, but i’m Not sure if it’s still up.
I did a quick google search, but wasn't able to find this sprite unfortunately. I do have a Kong sprite sheet posted earlier by Ultimate Ditto. Its not Toho Kong, but its there so maybe something can be done with it, but unlikely at this time.
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Utsuno would be an amazing addition, and Zone Fighter.
Utsuno would be interesting to do, no doubt. I've wanted to do Orochi, and add Utsuno as a complementary, but those heads... need a practical way to do them, but I've not been able to get around with experimenting on different approaches. I do hope I'll be able to soon enough though. Zone Fighter is kind of in the air at the moment.
Last edited by _MHG_ on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

https://i.imgur.com/8ux0hB6.png
Moguera looking pretty sexy. Can't wait to see your beastly Destoroyah more :D

I once was in a pickle about animating several heads at once. Basically just animate the necks with a blank head attached. Swap the heads as needed and recolor them for foreground and background. Once you have the frames it should be easier to approach it. Still will be a pain in the ARSE but once you have the idle frame, it should be just be set. I tried something similar in GIMP where I completed head animations, saved it as a GIF. Imported it back onto the main frame and just kept importing it during different cycles and it cycled fluidly. Then again, I do things the hard way :P

As for Toho Kong. The only Toho Kong I remember seeing on DA was from Cosbydaf's Replay. That's the only one I remember seeing.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flowrellik
Ronin

Post by Flowrellik »

oh man this game is looking better and better! Keep up the good work!

PHRHD
Samurai

Post by PHRHD »

Holy crap, I just discovered this project and caught up with its progress and such. This is amazing! If you need any help with design or anything along those lines, let me know! I'd love to help out with this project. :D
Check out my Godzilla Fan Forum! Click the Banner Below! :D

Win a NECA Shin Godzilla Action Figure on Monarch Sciences!

Resized Image

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

SpaceG92 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/8ux0hB6.png
Moguera looking pretty sexy. Can't wait to see your beastly Destoroyah more :D

I once was in a pickle about animating several heads at once. Basically just animate the necks with a blank head attached. Swap the heads as needed and recolor them for foreground and background. Once you have the frames it should be easier to approach it. Still will be a pain in the ARSE but once you have the idle frame, it should be just be set. I tried something similar in GIMP where I completed head animations, saved it as a GIF. Imported it back onto the main frame and just kept importing it during different cycles and it cycled fluidly. Then again, I do things the hard way :P

As for Toho Kong. The only Toho Kong I remember seeing on DA was from Cosbydaf's Replay. That's the only one I remember seeing.
Oh yes, once he's done, Destroyah gonna ravage players :twisted: .

On approaching the issue of animating multiple heads, your technique reminds me of a similar concept which would involve having a "main frame", but here using a single primary head+neck animation and stacking an amount of additional layers equivalent to the number of necks Orochi has, with each layer being simply a copy of the main and with the starting point of the animation randomized for each neck. Essentially, only two types of neck animations would be needed (diagonal screen-facing and profile). Only issue with this would be the extra shading that'd be needed between the necks to blend them together in order to avoid making it appear jarring. Thought about employing bezier curves as well but that would just give it too much of a "beads on a string" feel. Orochi is probably not as difficult as one might think, he's just Biollante with Ghidorah necks (and I'd expect his in-game behavior to be quite similar as well). Definitely in the favorite's list, but not in priority atm.

On Toho Kong, some thoughts occurred:

. Thanks to all the accumulated best practices learned in creating the earlier characters, Destroyah's progress has been substantial. I do think he'll be done the quickest of all characters thus far. In comparison, Toho Kong is quite simple actually (no huge wings, no complex details on body parts, no additional appendages etc.) so he should be even quicker to do.
. For the upcoming update, the Battle Legends roster selection was intended to include G60s (MosuGoji iteration), Hesei/"Futurian" King Ghidorah and Mech-King Ghidorah. Combined with the current roster and the ones done so far, right now, there is too much scale n' tail, but no anthros. Some diversity is in order. Toho Kong would also be an excellent complement to G60s, regardless of the difference in appearance.
. Legendary Kong won't be joining for a while, and the next update will focus a lot on the MV/MP stuff, so it'll feel out of place (for me at least) to start doing TK then.

In short, the ape is in. I don't typically detract from the development schedule, but in this case, I think its needed. If all goes well, I should be able to not only have Destroyah's sprites done by the next progress report, but have a good portion of Toho Kong finished as well.

@Flowrellik and PHRHD. Thank you both. Appreciate the input! PHRHD, I'll certainly keep that in mind!
Last edited by _MHG_ on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

September - October, 2018 Progress Report

. Final Form Destroyah sprites completed.
. Aggregate Destroyah incorporated to Final Form Destroyah***.
. Toho Kong sprites (based on a pre-existing base) completed.
. Additional stages completed.
. G60s, HKG and MKG sprite standardization in progress.

*** The Agg Destroyah is intended to be a playable character on its own, but not for this update. Currently, it will serve as Final Destroyah's "Swarm" ability. The sprite itself will be about a third of the scale presented above (similar to the film scale). There will be a difference in how it plays out though. In the film, iirc, the Swarm was rather incompetent. I like the concept but imo, it wasn't executed effectively. The G just swatted them away with little trouble.

The Swarm here will be far more aggressive. They will spawn rapidly and the player will need to remove them quickly if they latch on, and eliminate them. If they overwhelm the player, they're gonna fall and the player's monster won't be getting up this time. It'd probably be similar to Dieter's fatal encounter with the compies in The Lost World.

That's it for now. Stay tuned.
Last edited by _MHG_ on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

That is awesome! Digging Kong and the Aggregate!
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Flowrellik
Ronin

Post by Flowrellik »

Man seeing this game still go on brings joy to my heart. I enjoyed playing Kaiju daikessen and Battle legends back when I was a kid. I am curious though, for nostalgia sake will there be a low-res version of this game like the original stage sprites and effects?

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

UltimateDitto wrote:That is awesome! Digging Kong and the Aggregate!
Thanks! Appreciate it.
Man seeing this game still go on brings joy to my heart. I enjoyed playing Kaiju daikessen and Battle legends back when I was a kid. I am curious though, for nostalgia sake will there be a low-res version of this game like the original stage sprites and effects?
There will be no low-res version at any time, unfortunately. I understand the nostalgia aspect, but I feel that a low-res version would drastically work against my own desire for the direction I want this project to go towards.
Last edited by _MHG_ on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

November - December, 2018 Progress Report

. All character sprite work completed, just wrapping up with a few items.
. Programming block will follow shortly.
. Estimated release for version 0.11 is mid-February, 2019. I should be able to provide a more accurate date around the time of the Jan-Feb, 2019 PR.

Summary of update

Monsters included:

. Godzilla 60s
. Godzilla 90s
. Mothra
. Zilla [new]
. Grand King Ghidorah [new]
. DesGhidorah [new]
. Mogeura [new]
. Destroyah [new]
. Toho Kong [new]
. Hesei King Ghidorah
. Mecha King Ghidorah

New Stages:

. Pacific Ocean (Day and Dusk)
. Midtown Manhattan, New York City
. Planet X
. Eldgjá Canyon, Iceland
. Great Basin Desert
. Haneda Airport, Tokyo
. Faro Island
. Tavan Bogd, Mongolia
. Marina Bay Area, Singapore

New Mechanics:

. Building destruction in combat-plane (unit-based damage and pancake collapsing)
. Grab-lock
. Guard compromise

Additional notes

. As mentioned earlier, throughout the development of v 0.11, some significant improvements to spriting techniques were learned.
. If it weren't for the engine switch, the update could have been released sooner. Though it works correctly, it only does so thanks to compatibility scripts. These act as a crutch and therefore need to be removed completely.
. Once v 0.11 is released, moving forward, a) the project will have been made 100% compatible to the new engine, and b) the speed at which new monster sprites can be made will have been improved substantially.
. In short, not factoring IRL commitments and my schedule, the speed of development will be much faster after this update. 2019 will definitely be an interesting year for the franchise, and for this project.
. The project will be renamed "Godzilla: Omniverse" to reflect its overall direction. Changes will take effect once the update is released.

That's it for now. Stay tuned.
Last edited by _MHG_ on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Flowrellik
Ronin

Post by Flowrellik »

Apologies for the overall necro, but I'm curious if there has been any new news for this game? I enjoyed playing the prototype so I'm curious on what the future's in store for this.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

^News will be posted sometime between end of Jan and beginning of Feb. Might change the order I've used thus far later on, but for now, I prefer to keep it this way.

In any case, project's doing fine. Had to impose some freezes throughout December last year and January, but hopefully I'll have some short and basic previews of gameplay with the new content by the time the progress report's usual cycle comes around.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

January - February, 2019 Progress Report:

. Coding block on-going.
. V 0.11 Release date pushed to next PR cycle, around March 31st, 2019.
. Will post small previews of gameplay and new characters as development continues. These will be more frequent. Example of Zilla/G90 below:

Stay tuned for more.
Last edited by _MHG_ on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

God I wish we had gotten a live action Godzilla with Green Atomic Breath, closest we have to that is the Super-X2 reflecting Godzilla's rays back at him.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

That Zilla is awesome!
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

^ ^
Thank you for the input.

DesG and HKG previews:

More coming soon.

_MHG_
GPN Volunteer

Post by _MHG_ »

T-Kong/G60 preview:

Last edited by _MHG_ on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

Holy cow that is beautiful!! I can't believe this isn't getting as much exposure! This is comparable to the levels of hyper dbz (in terms of animations, spriting and gameplay), and it looks like we Godzilla fans have our own now. This is unreal! Can't wait for the release!
Last edited by airforce111 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.