The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Re: The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Recreation

Post by Servanov »

I have uploaded a BD cover that I made. It's nothing incredible, and it doesn't acknowledge that it's this specific recreation, you could almost just use it as a cover for this movie.

http://imgur.com/ic0pTu4

Added in 4 minutes 12 seconds:
Oh woops, that's not it. Sorry, the real image should be here.

http://i.imgur.com/fdif3dI.jpg

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Love both covers, especially End of Evangelion.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

This makes me very happy.
http://m.imgur.com/STLCAN6

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Congrats, man! Patience IS a virtue. And if you need a Blu-ray cover custom-made, let me know. I can hook u up. ;)
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I'd love some cover art! I'm not good at it at all.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

It's okay. We have our different, but special talents. Take your time, and i'll make one for you to look at in a day or two. :huge:

Added in 16 hours 28 minutes 15 seconds:
Servanov wrote:I'd love some cover art! I'm not good at it at all.
Here you go, a nice, sleek Blu-ray cover of The Return of Godzilla!!!!! :huge:
http://imgur.com/Gk1epoP

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Wow! That looks great! Thanks! Also, I got the German DVD and after popping in the DVD on my computer, I was at first disappointed to find that the DVD used the Japanese masters in the main feature. After that, I waited a few days and I recently was looking over the DVD's special features, and since it was all in German, I couldn't read it and was really just clicking on random things. Two things I realized were that

A. This DVD is a gold mine of special features. It includes trailers, both Japanese and English, for not only this movie but many other Godzilla films. It also comes with a making of featurette.

B. One of the special features was thankfully the English titles! I will be using those and also as a more accurate reference for the titles. One place I realized that I messed up in was the 'TOHO EIGA' card. I thought there was a black outline, but that was really just over sharpened masters. It played when I pressed a button that looked a little like the word 'Alternate'

Added in 22 minutes 48 seconds:
If anyone has a textless source for the newspaper montages (both of them) that would be very appreciated. I can't seem to find any sources for that.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Thanks! I wonder what that source is. Looks like laserdisc to me.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Servanov wrote:Wow! That looks great! Thanks! Also, I got the German DVD and after popping in the DVD on my computer, I was at first disappointed to find that the DVD used the Japanese masters in the main feature. After that, I waited a few days and I recently was looking over the DVD's special features, and since it was all in German, I couldn't read it and was really just clicking on random things. Two things I realized were that

A. This DVD is a gold mine of special features. It includes trailers, both Japanese and English, for not only this movie but many other Godzilla films. It also comes with a making of featurette.

B. One of the special features was thankfully the English titles! I will be using those and also as a more accurate reference for the titles. One place I realized that I messed up in was the 'TOHO EIGA' card. I thought there was a black outline, but that was really just over sharpened masters. It played when I pressed a button that looked a little like the word 'Alternate'

Added in 22 minutes 48 seconds:
If anyone has a textless source for the newspaper montages (both of them) that would be very appreciated. I can't seem to find any sources for that.
Quite unfortunate that the main film used the Japanese masters, but it's fantastic that you still managed to have the English titles. :huge:

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I considered buying a laserdisc for this project, but any laserdiscs were far out of my price range. Besides, I'm a bit low on cash since I just recently bought a Super8/8mm dual projector to view the Godzilla super8 reel I bought. I just finished removing the text from the shot of the boat "Barashibo", which is about 52 minutes in. I was able to use complete HD sources for that, by employing some techniques of film restoration, using surrounding frames and pixels. I'll probably post a preview of it soon.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Wow. Grade A+ for dedication AND effort. :huge: Take your time!!!

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I cannot stand the way some disc releases use Japanese credits and some use English credits, I wish they would be consistent. Since Godzilla 1985 was kept from us for legal reasons, I think that this is the release we should have received from Kraken Releasing. It just seems so lazy for Media Blasters, Kraken and Echo Bridge to just give us Japanese titles instead of English ones that would be easy enough to edit into the Japanese material.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Great Hierophant wrote:I cannot stand the way some disc releases use Japanese credits and some use English credits, I wish they would be consistent. Since Godzilla 1985 was kept from us for legal reasons, I think that this is the release we should have received from Kraken Releasing. It just seems so lazy for Media Blasters, Kraken and Echo Bridge to just give us Japanese titles instead of English ones that would be easy enough to edit into the Japanese material.
So True! You expect Media Blasters to use the english print from the ADV FIlms DVD of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS for disc 1 and use a bootleg VHS rip of the AIP version for disc 2. EVEN THE AIP AUDIO is F##KED UP on the DVD. Red Menace actually gives fans what we want instead of half-ass effort from Media Blasters.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:I cannot stand the way some disc releases use Japanese credits and some use English credits, I wish they would be consistent. Since Godzilla 1985 was kept from us for legal reasons, I think that this is the release we should have received from Kraken Releasing. It just seems so lazy for Media Blasters, Kraken and Echo Bridge to just give us Japanese titles instead of English ones that would be easy enough to edit into the Japanese material.
So True! You expect Media Blasters to use the english print from the ADV FIlms DVD of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS for disc 1 and use a bootleg VHS rip of the AIP version for disc 2. EVEN THE AIP AUDIO is F##KED UP on the DVD. Red Menace actually gives fans what we want instead of half-ass effort from Media Blasters.
It is pretty telling when someone like omitsgodzilla, with second-hand materials and a budget of almost $0.00, can do a better job and put out a better product than a decent-sized company that does this for a profit and could have had access to higher quality raw material.

Of course I remember the 90s when I so badly wanted Japanese versions of the classic films and actual releases of the post-Biollante films. I had to pay bootleggers for that back then.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

People like omgitsgodzilla are dedicated fans who are willing to use their expertise and know how of various sources to give what we want. Hell, he's gives out higher quality material than mainstream companies.

Lord Krit
Samurai

Post by Lord Krit »

It's sad but true, companies that license these and put them up for sell usually only care about the profits, not the content or quality.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Great Hierophant wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:
It is pretty telling when someone like omitsgodzilla, with second-hand materials and a budget of almost $0.00, can do a better job and put out a better product than a decent-sized company that does this for a profit and could have had access to higher quality raw material.

Of course I remember the 90s when I so badly wanted Japanese versions of the classic films and actual releases of the post-Biollante films. I had to pay bootleggers for that back then.
GodzillaBurgh wrote:People like omgitsgodzilla are dedicated fans who are willing to use their expertise and know how of various sources to give what we want. Hell, he's gives out higher quality material than mainstream companies.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I find this vitriol for the companies handling the official releases more than a little misguided. I don't have to pay anyone to assemble these presentations of the US versions, nor do I have to deal with Toho's approval process. Companies that are releasing these films officially do, and while Sony and Universal are one thing, companies like Echo Bridge, Media Blasters, Kraken Releasing and the like are small companies with limited resources. They haven't got the money to pay people to re-scan and restore original film elements, or to do all this extra work with digital sources, and I don't really blame them for not wanting to get even more bogged down in the approval process that comes with dealing with Toho. Obviously, certain things are objectively their fault (MB's bad recreation of FCtW's US version, the poor quality of the AIP dub track on their DAM release), and I do kind of resent Kraken Releasing intentionally beating out other companies for RoG when another company might have put more care into their release, but by and large I can't really fault these companies for not being able to give us anything but the existing masters (usually Toho's), especially considering that you can't really count on any larger company bothering with most of these movies. It's frustrating and it's disappointing, but in the end I don't hold it against companies that can't afford to offer anything more.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote: So True! You expect Media Blasters to use the english print from the ADV FIlms DVD of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS for disc 1 and use a bootleg VHS rip of the AIP version for disc 2. EVEN THE AIP AUDIO is F##KED UP on the DVD. Red Menace actually gives fans what we want instead of half-ass effort from Media Blasters.

GodzillaBurgh wrote:People like omgitsgodzilla are dedicated fans who are willing to use their expertise and know how of various sources to give what we want. Hell, he's gives out higher quality material than mainstream companies.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I find this vitriol for the companies handling the official releases more than a little misguided. I don't have to pay anyone to assemble these presentations of the US versions, nor do I have to deal with Toho's approval process. Companies that are releasing these films officially do, and while Sony and Universal are one thing, companies like Echo Bridge, Media Blasters, Kraken Releasing and the like are small companies with limited resources. They haven't got the money to pay people to re-scan and restore original film elements, or to do all this extra work with digital sources, and I don't really blame them for not wanting to get even more bogged down in the approval process that comes with dealing with Toho. Obviously, certain things are objectively their fault (MB's bad recreation of FCtW's US version, the poor quality of the AIP dub track on their DAM release), and I do kind of resent Kraken Releasing intentionally beating out other companies for RoG when another company might have put more care into their release, but by and large I can't really fault these companies for not being able to give us anything but the existing masters (usually Toho's), especially considering that you can't really count on any larger company bothering with most of these movies. It's frustrating and it's disappointing, but in the end I don't hold it against companies that can't afford to offer anything more.
Very good point, man! Nice to hear from you. How are you and your "ASTRO-MONSTERS" reconstruction?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Honestly, I'm pretty burned out from my classes this quarter. I've rarely got an entire day free, and most of my energy for video editing is taken up by the editing class I'm taking, which uses Premiere - I don't know if you've ever used it, but the interface is kind of awful. I haven't really touched Astro-Monsters in ages.

I'll almost certainly finish it once this term's over, though, so keep an eye out for it sometime in April at the absolute latest.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon