Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD Reconstruction

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
alicec24
Young Farmer

Re: Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD Reconstruction

Post by alicec24 »

Great Hierophant wrote:There are two problematic inserts in this film where English is used instead of Japanese. The VHS and Laserdisc crop them, cutting off text mutuelles Entreprise. I doubt anything can be done about these unless a widescreen source for the inserts can be found. SpaceHunterM did an SD AIP reconstruction and he could do nothing about it.
It may be necessary to call an audiovisual professional or an image technician to solve the problem.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Hey goji1986, it's GodzillaBurgh. A few months ago I PM you custom covers for GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER. Can you PM me back the file links I give you? I got a new laptop, and I want to save them.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:Hey goji1986, it's GodzillaBurgh. A few months ago I PM you custom covers for GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER. Can you PM me back the file links I give you? I got a new laptop, and I want to save them.
I can't seem to reply or compose any new private messages...tried on several browsers and I just get a blank screen. Anybody else having this problem?

I have a small update regarding the reconstruction, or rather I'm looking for some thoughts on finishing it. Based on omgitsgodzilla's restoration of Son of Godzilla, which blended 4x3 footage into the HD widescreen print, would this be a sufficient way to get around the credits? I ask because besides removing a few kanji overlays at various spots, the reconstruction is really being held back by the opening credits. There is no way to satisfactorily mask out and replace these moving sections of background and make it all look good. The color timing between prints is radically different and no amount of color correction seems to get a decent match in certain shots. Plus I still haven't been able to determine the precise font used. So, in the interest of getting this out to all of you who have been waiting so patiently, would everyone be fine with me weaving in the laserdisc rip for the intro credits (sans the title screen) and one or two other quick shots with English text?
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

goji1986 wrote: I have a small update regarding the reconstruction, or rather I'm looking for some thoughts on finishing it. Based on omgitsgodzilla's restoration of Son of Godzilla, which blended 4x3 footage into the HD widescreen print, would this be a sufficient way to get around the credits? I ask because besides removing a few kanji overlays at various spots, the reconstruction is really being held back by the opening credits. There is no way to satisfactorily mask out and replace these moving sections of background and make it all look good. The color timing between prints is radically different and no amount of color correction seems to get a decent match in certain shots. Plus I still haven't been able to determine the precise font used. So, in the interest of getting this out to all of you who have been waiting so patiently, would everyone be fine with me weaving in the laserdisc rip for the intro credits (sans the title screen) and one or two other quick shots with English text?
I can't see what else you can do with the materials available. At least the laserdisc opening credits should be in widescreen. It would be great to have another HD Reconstruction to add to the growing list.

Gorka the Vampire
Yojimbo

Post by Gorka the Vampire »

Hi Goji,

Long time, no hear! I hope you, your wife, and your new little baby are doing well.

I agree 200% with you. The laserdisc is absolutely the way to go. Red Menace did an amazing job with his HD reconstruction of SON OF GODZILLA. Everything blended gracefully, beautifully, and stylishly. It was almost like a curtain opening to a play and closing again at the end. Some positive things are that you'll still have HD master materials from which to work for the main feature, but you'll still be able to use the authentic opening 1970s AIP logo that we all know and love plus the end titles ("The End An American International Release") had a completely black background so even when the picture reverts back to 4:3, it really won't be noticeable because of this completely black background. Believe me Goji, if this HD restoration is done anywhere near the quality you gave us on GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER last winter, then this one is going to be your masterpiece! Keep up the great work...and can't wait to see the finished product!

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Yeah I can't wait for this one! Hope the family is doing good!
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

mrfixit
Young Farmer

Post by mrfixit »

I too am waiting in anticipation for this release. My all time Favorite Godzilla movie is finally getting the treatment and love it deserves.
It will be a great day when I finally get to sit on the couch with a big bowl of popcorn and hit play on the AIP dub of Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Sorry for bumping the thread, but how is the recreation going?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Sorry for bumping the thread, but how is the recreation going?
I appreciate your enthusiasm and wanting to know about how this is coming, but derailing an entirely different thread to hound me over it is not appropriate. I haven't cleared out my inbox recently so I didn't see your PM either. You will hear about it when I've got something to report. I am very busy with other projects, work, and home life. Please be patient.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

So I'll be honest...in addition to life getting in the way, I had put this on the back burner in hopes that Criterion would do the impossible and release this dub in their set. Sadly, that isn't going to happen. SO....

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

EDIT
So that embed doesn't seem to wanna work, here's the link instead:

https://youtu.be/poDgsYYxBIo
Last edited by goji1986 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Wow! Nice work, keep it up!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

goji1986 wrote:EDIT
So that embed doesn't seem to wanna work, here's the link instead:

https://youtu.be/poDgsYYxBIo
AWESOME! Definitely looking forward to this, it's gotta be DECADES since I last watched this version. ^_^

ultrase7en
Samurai

Post by ultrase7en »

That looks fantastic!! I can't wait to see the finished version.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

I got a widescreen vhs of this dub recorded from the sci fi channel back in 1993 and your pretty much spot on with the location and size of the text, bravo!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1996 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GodzillaFan1996 wrote:I got a widescreen vhs of this dub recorded from the sci fi channel back in 1993 and your pretty much spot on with the location and size of the text, bravo!
Sci-Fi never showed this version of the film, only Toho's international version (which is on the TriStar and Kraken releases), and it wasn't broadcast until 1996.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Yeah I was about to say, I have a couple movies recorded from Sci-Fi’s Godzilla Incorperated movie marathon in the 90’s and the dub used for Hedorah most certainly wasn’t the AIP one.

Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Stump Feet wrote:Yeah I was about to say, I have a couple movies recorded from Sci-Fi’s Godzilla Incorperated movie marathon in the 90’s and the dub used for Hedorah most certainly wasn’t the AIP one.
It wasn't part of that marathon, I remember because Star Trek played right afterwards and its definitely not the same dub as the one on the kraken blu ray.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1996 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

GodzillaFan1996 wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:Yeah I was about to say, I have a couple movies recorded from Sci-Fi’s Godzilla Incorperated movie marathon in the 90’s and the dub used for Hedorah most certainly wasn’t the AIP one.
It wasn't part of that marathon, I remember because Star Trek played right afterwards and its definitely not the same dub as the one on the kraken blu ray.

I'm sorry, my family shares the account with me and my father hasn't watched that VHS in years, I can assure you guys that it is the same dub as the kraken blu ray. Again I want to apologize for my fathers comment's, he's getting my bootlegs mixed up with his VHS recordings. I really need to get my father his own account.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1996 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I was about to say no matter when it was airing or what marathon it was apart of (Godzilla Incorporated, Monsters of the Rising Sun, etc.) they’ve always used the same dub.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting