Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD Reconstruction

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD Reconstruction

Post by goji1986 »

That's right, folks, get ready to enjoy this classic dub in 1080p!

With omgitsgodzilla's blessing and support, I have decided to take on this project. For video I will be using the Kraken Bluray as a main source, while a rip of the Orion laserdisc will provide the reference for titles and other things that were modified for the US release.

Right now I've tested out things on just the first title card during Save the Earth, which you can view below.

http://imgur.com/kEMjK0z

The laserdisc source is currently a heavily compressed MP4 file I ripped off of Facebook, but a better one is hopefully on the way courtesy of heiseigodzilla425. That being said, even with the crappy one I'm using now, the results aren't half bad. The titles just don't have the crispness I need, but that should hopefully be solved once the better source is available!
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Kore321
Yojimbo

Re: Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD Reconstruction

Post by Kore321 »

Awesome! This is one of my favorites. Will you be reconstructing the aip logo and English credits? That would probably be a big task. ;)

Edit. Just reread your post and see that you are trying to use the LD rip titles..

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Making a full HD render of this that's bluray compatible?

ultrase7en
Samurai

Post by ultrase7en »

Cool! I cannot wait to see it considering how great your Sea Monster reconstruction turned out.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Interesting!!! Go for it, man!
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

There are two problematic inserts in this film where English is used instead of Japanese. The VHS and Laserdisc crop them, cutting off text. I doubt anything can be done about these unless a widescreen source for the inserts can be found. SpaceHunterM did an SD AIP reconstruction and he could do nothing about it.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

goji1986 wrote:That's right, folks, get ready to enjoy this classic dub in 1080p!

With omgitsgodzilla's blessing and support, I have decided to take on this project. For video I will be using the Kraken Bluray as a main source, while a rip of the Orion laserdisc will provide the reference for titles and other things that were modified for the US release.

Right now I've tested out things on just the first title card during Save the Earth, which you can view below.

http://imgur.com/kEMjK0z

The laserdisc source is currently a heavily compressed MP4 file I ripped off of Facebook, but a better one is hopefully on the way courtesy of heiseigodzilla425. That being said, even with the crappy one I'm using now, the results aren't half bad. The titles just don't have the crispness I need, but that should hopefully be solved once the better source is available!
How are you going to mask certain inserts?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

G-MAN wrote:Making a full HD render of this that's bluray compatible?
Yes! The final file will be an MKV render, which can easily be converted to bluray. Now that I have a bluray burner and gotten the necessary software to do this, I can finally do this right off the bat.
Great Hierophant wrote:There are two problematic inserts in this film where English is used instead of Japanese. The VHS and Laserdisc crop them, cutting off text. I doubt anything can be done about these unless a widescreen source for the inserts can be found. SpaceHunterM did an SD AIP reconstruction and he could do nothing about it.
GodzillaBurgh wrote: How are you going to mask certain inserts?
I'm going to solve that problem once I get there. At the worst, I will just upscale the existing footage and leave it as is. However, there may be a few other options. I'm still waiting on a better rip of the laserdisc before I start considering.

I've done a ton of research and have yet to find any existence of a widescreen print, unless some lucky fan is sitting on one and hasn't come forward with it, so this will be the great challenge of this particular reconstruction. I will keep you all posted on my progress once I get started.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

This is gonna be interesting.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

YES!!!
Last edited by G-MAN on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

There's also the question of what to do about the English titles inserted into the scenes about phenomena in space and such in the International version, which I don't think are present in the AIP version. Might be worth trying to get your hands on an HD source of the Japanese version as well.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:There's also the question of what to do about the English titles inserted into the scenes about phenomena in space and such in the International version, which I don't think are present in the AIP version. Might be worth trying to get your hands on an HD source of the Japanese version as well.
I found these on SpaceHunterM's YouTube channel.

Hope these will help. :huge:

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:There's also the question of what to do about the English titles inserted into the scenes about phenomena in space and such in the International version, which I don't think are present in the AIP version. Might be worth trying to get your hands on an HD source of the Japanese version as well.

I have a copy of the HDTV version, which I will use when necessary.

And thank you, GodzillaBurgh! I'd seen these a while ago and nearly forgot about them.

I finally started verifying and checking the bluray print to the 10-year old AIP laserdisc rip, which has been provided to me by ultra7en and will be used until heiseigodzilla425's new rip is available. Even though everything appears to synch up in the beginning, by the end there seems to be a few seconds difference between the two, so I'm still scrubbing through the movie and making edit points at each cut on the HD print. I'm about 10 minutes in. Progress!

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Sweet will it be the same bitrate and quality as the kraken bluray?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

G-MAN wrote:Sweet will it be the same bitrate and quality as the kraken bluray?
Correct. The main video is sourced from the Kraken Bluray as a pass-thru MP4, meaning besides the container change no compression has been applied. Rendering will involve matching the source directly, so it should be 1:1.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I also found the SAME AIP logo from another movie called C.H.O.M.P.S. It's about a cyborg dog, it's actually ridiculous.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It occurs to me that some of the raw images I used to reconstruct the AIP logo in Destroy All Monsters might be helpful; I can send you those if you want!
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:It occurs to me that some of the raw images I used to reconstruct the AIP logo in Destroy All Monsters might be helpful; I can send you those if you want!
For sure! That would be wonderful. And thank you again, GodzillaBurgh, for your diligence in finding that version of the logo!

So I've just received heiseigodzilla425's rip of the Orion Laserdisc, and I must say...this is a STUNNING transfer! Everything is a vast improvement in color and detail, even in standard def! His work must be applauded, as he just made the DEFINITIVE digital version of the laserdisc.

I've synced it up with my current timeline and it matches perfectly, so in the coming days it will finally be time to recreate those titles! Now the fun begins :)

Kore321
Yojimbo

Post by Kore321 »

Looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Keep up the great work!

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

I'm working on vectoring out the letters for the title screen, and just had a thought. Does anyone know what font is being used in the credit sequence? I can't seem to find one that matches, and it would be helpful for down the line as the font sizes change. I'm pretty bad at telling fonts apart!