Destroy All Monsters AIP HD Reconstruction v2.0 AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Destroy All Monsters AIP HD Reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I probably wouldn't have either. Edits like these are interesting because they make every little change very obvious.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Yes, so right. The first time I got to the final battle, something about the sound didn't seem right. It took me a few moments to realize that the shot of Minya taken out when Anguirus was falling changed the syncing of the music and action off from what I was used to!
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I find it really interesting when little edits like that are the only changes they bother to make. Like they felt the movie as a whole was fine, but those two particular shots of Minya just really had to go; they really felt that strongly about it.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Another strange one is that deletion during the scene change from the SY-3 interior to the car interior. We can't have that one shot be a cut to Katsuo, we must have it cut right to Otani, no other option is possible!
HayesAJones wrote:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I'm still not sure if that one was intentional, but I do kind of like it. While Katsuo's side-eyeing of Otani is amusing, the US version turns it into a match cut, which is definitely a more interesting choice stylistically. It kind of fits with the slightly artsier cinematography during the interrogation.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Good point. I hadn't considered the idea that it might have been a stylistic choice. However, considering the fact that the edit as originally done would have cut off part of a wipe, it is entirely possible it is such an error. Another change that amuses me is the deletion of the close up on the sign after the monster rampage. It seems like such a unnecessary change. I guess their logic was that no one wants to see a important closeup of a sign they can't even read?
HayesAJones wrote:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That's my guess; however there's a similar little sound hiccup right after it, so who knows?

Added in 20 hours 42 minutes 2 seconds:
Video Collector from OriginalTrilogy.com has come through again with some terrific custom Blu-ray covers:

Download links:

MEGA: https://mega.nz/#!NINAwQja!wPl38UoXsqC0 ... fFoCQNadXQ

MediaFire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/re0hz ... covers.zip
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Wow, those look great! Do you know if they would fit in a DVD case? I don't have any spare Blu-Ray cases lying around.
HayesAJones wrote:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It would take some playing with the dimensions. The spines of Blu-ray cases aren't as wide as those of DVDs, and the covers aren't nearly as tall.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

hewylewis
Samurai

Post by hewylewis »

Could he make one of Godzilla 1984?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

A custom cover? He's actually done three for my Godzilla 1985 reconstruction
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

Hey man,

Can you give me info for the AIP stuff you have and how to get them? Thanks!
omgitsgodzilla wrote:Image

The AIP Destroy All Monsters reconstruction is available now!

The 1080p HD reconstruction of the original US version of Destroy All Monsters, dubbed at Titan Studios and released by AIP, is completed and available to download! Send a private message for details.

Notes on this release:
  • The bulk of film was sourced from the Media Blasters Blu-ray. The aspect ratio was corrected to the original 2.35:1 from something like 2.41:1 and the contrast was increased to alleviate some of the weaknesses of the Toho transfer.
  • The AIP logo, main title card, "the end" title card and end credits have all been carefully digitally recreated.
  • There are a several splices in the print of the AIP version that I used as a guide and audio source for this version, which result in a few missing frames each. These have been duplicated in this version to maintain proper synchronization with the original source.
  • One such splice occurs in a spot which interrupts an optical wipe present in the widescreen Japanese print; in that case, a digital wipe was employed to hide the problem and mimic the editing of the Japanese version while maintaining proper synchronization with the AIP version. This is the only such embellishment made in this edit; it is otherwise wholly faithful to the editing of the AIP version.
For those interested, here's a more comprehensive list of the edits made in the AIP version:
  • The Toho logo and the accompanying section of Ifukube's score are cut. The AIP logo and title card appear over the background originally used for the Japanese title card, and the score picks up at the appropriate spot as well.
  • The opening credits are removed. There is a straight cut from the shot of the Moonlight SY-3 cockpit to the overhead shot of Ogasawara Island that comes after the credits in the Japanese version.
  • The scene transition from Dr. Otani aboard the SY-3 leaving Monsterland to him riding in the back of a car with Katsuo and Dr. Yoshida is altered; where the Japanese version used an optical wipe to transition from a close-up on Dr. Otani to a close-up of Katsuo that pans over to Otani and Yoshida, the AIP version cuts directly from Otani aboard the rocket to Otani in the car, keeping his face framed in almost the same spot. (This was the edit noted above that was changed to a digital wipe.)
  • The pan across the aftermath of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Manda's rampage through Tokyo ends sooner in the AIP version. The Japanese version ends by zooming in on a sign in Japanese bearing the name of some sort of emergency bunker or headquarters, then cuts to Katsuo inside. The AIP version cuts the sign and goes straight from the wreckage to Katsuo.
  • There is one shot of the SY-3 landing in the Kilaak base on the moon that seems to be longer in the AIP version; this was matched by slowing down the shot that appears in the Japanese version - It's a brief shot but it is notable.
  • Not one, but two shots of Minilla are cut from the battle with King Ghidorah: One as Mothra and Kumonga spray Ghidorah with silk and webbing, and one as Angilas loses his grip on Ghidorah's neck and falls to the ground.
  • The final shot of Ogasawara Island, there the "The End" title appears, is longer in the AIP version, and the title appears much later.
  • Finally, the film's credits are displayed at the end over a black background, using the music cue that played under the opening credits in the Japanese version. Notably, Ishiro Honda's name is spelled correctly, as opposed to the commonly-used incorrect Romanization "Inoshiro."
Original post:
Now that a decently polished 720p version of Godzilla 1985 is out and available, and goji1986 is working on recreating the Walter Reade-Sterling version of Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (which I was originally planning as a follow-up), I've decided to undertake another, less labor-intensive project while we wait for the Kraken Blu-ray of The Return of Godzilla. I'm going to attempt a widescreen, HD reconstruction of the AIP version of Destroy All Monsters.

While I know that the AIP dub was included on the OOP version of the Media Blasters Blu-ray, that track was altered to account for minor edits made to the original US release of the movie so it would sync properly to the Japanese print used for Toho's transfer. What I'm talking about making is a complete recreation of the AIP version as originally released, cuts, credits and all.

I'll be using the current Media Blasters Blu-ray (which I have) as my main source, but at the moment I don't have an audio source/visual reference on hand for the AIP version. I do have an old DVD bootleg back home that's got the AIP version on it, and I could have my family mail it to me, but I could get started sooner if someone could either direct me to a non-torrent download option or send it to me via Google Drive, MEGA, MediaFire or some other file storage/transfer service.

Basically what I'm predicting this will entail is remaking the credits and such in widescreen (I already downloaded the font AIP seemed to generally use for titles/credits a while ago just because I liked it), then syncing the MB footage to the AIP version and replicating whatever edits there are. This should be a much simpler and easier job than Godzilla 1985, and I already have access to a 1080p source, so this should be completed in far less time than my last project was/will be.

TL;DR: Anyone have/know where to find a copy of the AIP version?
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you're asking for
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Gorka the Vampire
Yojimbo

Post by Gorka the Vampire »

Hello Red,

Just downloaded your HD reconstruction of Destroy All Monsters and in a word...magnificent! Is there any way you can put this onto a blu ray disc as I'd love to have something this perfect in my blu ray collection. Thanks.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I don't have the means to do that myself, but I'm sure someone around here does!
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

armoredsaint58
Ronin

Post by armoredsaint58 »

Gorka the Vampire wrote:Hello Red,

Just downloaded your HD reconstruction of Destroy All Monsters and in a word...magnificent! Is there any way you can put this onto a blu ray disc as I'd love to have something this perfect in my blu ray collection. Thanks.
you can download x264 encoder, and encode it into a bluray compliant stream, then use a program called TSMUXER to build the bluray structure where you can burn onto a bluray disc that way and it would play

Gorka the Vampire
Yojimbo

Thanks guys! I'll definitely look into doing this.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I just downloaded this and previewed it (the credits mainly). Here is the short version of how I felt :

The Gold Standard of Reconstructions.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Destroy All Monsters AIP HD Reconstruction MKV AVAILABLE NOW

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

If you want to burn this to a Blu-ray, you'll probably be interested in the new render I've made of the reconstruction. It's a 25mbps AVC video stream with AC3 audio and chapter stops, contained in an MKV file for easy viewing but also ideal for remuxing and burning to Blu-ray!

Message me for the details on where to download it if you don't already know where to look!
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Gorka the Vampire
Yojimbo

Re: Destroy All Monsters AIP HD Reconstruction MKV AVAILABLE NOW

Thanks Red.

If you wouldn't mind PM ing me with the download info that would be great. I'm terrible with all this technological jargon, but I'll see if some guys I know can help me. In addition, if anyone reading this thread knows how to transfer this to blu, please PM me and I'll gladly pay for the disc and postage fees. Thanks.

Added in 1 hour 14 minutes 9 seconds:
Hi Again All,

Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all! I have a special place in my heart for Destroy All Monsters at this time of year particularly since it played on our local New York City station WPIX channel 11 in the late 1970s as part of the station's "Monster Weeks" which were popular at the time.

I was still wondering if anyone can transfer this magnificent HD reconstruction of Destroy All Monsters to blu ray (or even DVD). I'd love to be able to get this for Christmas so if anyone reading this on this forum could PM me, I'd be glad to pay for the postage and handling as well as the costs for the blu ray or DVD discs and labor.

Thanks.