Godzilla 1985 - Red Menace Reconstruction 35mm hybrid v1.5 AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Re: Godzilla 1985 - Red Menace Reconstruction v0.6 AVAILABLE NOW

Post by Servanov »

This sounds like an incredible project! I've never released any fan projects that I've done, but I'm into video editing myself, so I know how cool this is. While the Japanese version of this film is my favorite Godzilla movie, I still love this edit. Also, one thing, have you considered using Laserdisc audio? I own an LD player myself and many laserdiscs. One thing you can ask anyone who likes laserdisc about is the audio and they will tell you it sounds phenomenal. Also, a little suggestion, for your future 1080p release that uses the Kraken Blu-Ray you could include the different audio mixes. I only own the MonstersHD version and a VHS, but I've heard there are some noticeable differences. Anyway, I love what this project is about, and can't wait for the newest update. Until then, I will definitely use your version as a primary viewing source!

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I'm using the MHD as my audio source; I don't know how the LD audio compares but the MHD sounds pretty good.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kore321
Yojimbo

Post by Kore321 »

Awesome Job you did here!! The only source I was able to watch this before your reconstruction was the New World SP VHS tape that I ripped (so I don't ruin the tape).
I don't remember hearing the roar at the beginning, near the end of the New Word Logo. I have to watch the VHS again to see if that is there.

Added in 10 hours 12 minutes 55 seconds:
Found this on youtube. it is a re-creation of Bambi meets Godzilla. Maybe it can be slapped on at the beginning like the New World VHS.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I thought about including the short, but I decided against it as I think it clashes with the seriousness of the film itself. I might throw it in for the double feature, though, since the whole point of that presentation is kind of like the Grindhouse experience that Tarantino and Rodriguez were emulating, minus all the film damage of course.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I thought about including the short, but I decided against it as I think it clashes with the seriousness of the film itself. I might throw it in for the double feature, though, since the whole point of that presentation is kind of like the Grindhouse experience that Tarantino and Rodriguez were emulating, minus all the film damage of course.
I like that sort of idea myself. Keep going on the project because going by the 0.5, the final copy's gonna be stellar. :mrgreen:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Forgot to address this:
Kore321 wrote:I don't remember hearing the roar at the beginning, near the end of the New Word Logo. I have to watch the VHS again to see if that is there.
The roar isn't in the video version. It was, however, present in the theatrical release.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kore321
Yojimbo

Post by Kore321 »

Thanks for the clarification omgitsgodzilla. Never knew there was a roar sound in the theatrical release.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Yep, Space Hunter M hooked me up with a good audio source and an excerpt of a TV airing that kept the roar in, the latter of which I used as a reference for the proper timing of the roar. I'd been on the fence about including it, as I didn't have any reference for which sound effect was used or how it was timed, but when I messaged Tamura about an effects shot I couldn't locate in the Japanese version (it wasn't there), he pointed me SHM's way.

(Tamura also sent me a rip of the Australian VHS release on the off-chance that it might help remove the Monsters HD logo from that mystery shot; I didn't end up using it for that but it turns out that it has the theatrical subtitles for the Russian dialogue, so v1.0 will feature more faithful recreations of the subtitles, as opposed to the current subs which are just what I thought looked good.)
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Chaotic-Strike
Yojimbo

Post by Chaotic-Strike »

If I remember right there was a loon call when the birds flew away right before Godzilla first appears in the theatrical version, and was changed to something different in the MHD version.

I think the original call is on the SP Godzilla 1985 VHS that I have. You should include it on your next version.

Here's all the changes from the Monsters HD from the theatrical cut according to this blog.

http://hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/2007/10/ ... sters.html

*The film opens with the New World Pictures logo without Godzilla roaring (this can only be heard in the Japanese and UK home video release of the film)
*The eerie sound heard before the birds take flight is omitted
*The suspenseful musical cue when the Prime Minster watches a helicopter on a monitor has been replaced with mumbling and voices in the background
*Footage of Godzilla stepping on the homeless man is not tinted red (this was corrected on all home video releases except the Australian release which utilized a 35mm theatrical print)
*Half of the music is omitted when Godzilla roars in triumph over the Super-X
*The music is downplayed slightly when Godzilla approaches Mt. Mihara due to an increase of the supersonic sound he is being attracted to
*A slightly different take of the volcano erupting is used before the credits roll. In this version, the credits music begins to play as the screen fades to black.

*The biggest change occurs with the Russian dialogue. None of the Russians are subtitled in this version, even though the original newspaper headlines and location texts are present. It should be noted, however, that the English subtitles for the Russians were video generated in previous home video releases except the Australian one that had burned-in subtitles (which is what theatrical prints used).

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I do have a couple different VHS rips of the movie on hand; I might include some of the different bits of audio in the next version if the quality of either copy is high enough. (The American tape rip isn't very high in sound quality; I don't remember how the Aussie tape sounds but there's also the possibility of slowing it down from PAL speed and using that.)
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

Just finished my first viewing. Great work! It felt like I was 6 years old again and the ending still gave me chills. Bravo!
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

One thing I noticed Is that there is a Japanese title in the Japanese version. However, it is superimposed over stock footage from Toho's The Last War. It appears in the Japanese version at about 1:16:48 and in the American version at about one hour 2 minutes. You could use the footage from The Last War, and it would be textless.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Is there an HD source for The Last War?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Is there an HD source for The Last War?
There's only a DVD version as far as I've researched. It's available on Amazon Japan.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think my bootleg guy might also sell copies; I don't think I'll probably be pursuing that option though, seeing as the Blu-ray source has the shot in HD, which no other existing source does.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

How's the 1080p version progress and still aiming for bluray quality?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I haven't begun work on the 1080p version as I'm currently in the middle of my review series leading up to the US release of Shin Godzilla. I intend to begin work on that version as soon as I finish these reviews, which will be the day before the US release at the very latest.

If you're interested, you can read my reviews on my blog, which is linked in my signature.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

hewylewis
Samurai

Post by hewylewis »

Was this the project that was originally going to be a fan dub of The Return of Godzilla? Because I think I was originally cast as the reporter character before it got canned.

Added in 2 minutes 48 seconds:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:Video Collector over on OriginalTrilogy.com has made some really terrific custom Blu-ray covers and disc art for this project!

I've collected the printable versions of these in a .zip folder and uploaded it to the usual couple of hosts:

MEGA - https://mega.nz/#!pVUGzayK!4NQsymfF_U7E ... qX2Bg3O5Ms

MediaFire - https://www.mediafire.com/?d05b3yu1jjc0sy1

These will also be included with v1.0 and any other future versions of the project. Enjoy!
Could he maybe do a custom blu ray cover for the recent Kraken blu ray release?

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

hewylewis wrote:Was this the project that was originally going to be a fan dub of The Return of Godzilla? Because I think I was originally cast as the reporter character before it got canned.
This isn't related to what that was, but that project sounds interesting. Way different version of the movie.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I think I remember either trying to start or getting involved with such a project years ago; this is a different project. I'd forgotten all about that.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon