Godzilla 1985 - Red Menace Reconstruction 35mm hybrid v1.5 AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla 1985 - Red Menace Reconstruction 35mm hybrid v1.5 AVAILABLE NOW

Post by G-MAN »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
airforce111 wrote:have you guys looked at using x264 for bluray output (voukoder plugin for adobe does this)? Adobe's built in h264 encoder is not that great
You actually messaged me about Voukoder a while back, shortly after I released v1.5! I used it for a Blu-ray encode of Cozzilla from the 2017 HD scan at a corrected frame rate; it worked quite nicely!
Speaking of is it possible to get a second version of that or more importantly an upload of the raw 2017 scan you had on the disc? As I noticed alot of macroblocking and compression artifacts present throughout the version on MS. And it would be amazing for preservationists sake to have the raw HD scan uploaded and preserved. I'll pm you
Last edited by G-MAN on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Any updates?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

We should finally have all of the 4K scans pretty soon. We've got reels four and five, but we discovered that maybe 30 or so seconds somehow went missing from the end of the full 4K scan of reel one. Not sure how that happened, but we're in contact with our guy to get that as well.

Servanov has been sending me preview clips every so often as he works on stuff like color correction, stabilization, deflickering and so on. It looks very promising, especially the US footage. We're fairly close to having enough for a PFClean license, which is what will allow us to deal most effectively with the vertical scratches that are probably the biggest problem with this print. If you want to help us get there a little faster, that's where all of my Patreon proceeds are currently going.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

littlebase631
Ronin

Post by littlebase631 »

Been following your work for this for awhile now and I must say it is amazing what you guys are doing with this film! Your work is immensely appreciated! I have a couple of questions though.

With the new 4K scan your working with are you planning on using the whole scan? Or just the scenes that was in the American version and use the blu ray as the source for the other scenes? Will you also do a 1080p version along with the 4K version? And finally would there be disc compatible versions so someone could put these on discs for their own viewing without having to re-encode?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

We are using the whole scan, only reverting to the Blu-ray for damaged/missing material.

I've probably mentioned this before but at the time this movie came out, most theaters were using platter projection, which is when the whole feature, trailers and everything are spliced together and run through a single projector from a large horizontal platter, as opposed to individual reels alternating between two projectors. This required the heads and tails of each reel to be cut off and then spliced back on when the theater was done with the print. Some projectionists did this more carefully than others. There's a fair amount hacked out of this print at the beginning and end of each reel, either intentionally (it originally featured a trailer for New World's The Stuff before the Bambi short) or otherwise. We'll be using the Blu-ray for that stuff and at least one mid-reel splice I can remember offhand.

There will be both 4K and 1080p releases. I'm planning on including some other audio options, like an isolated score track and possibly a commentary. There will be extras. I'm hoping to make a fully authored BD50.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

littlebase631
Ronin

Post by littlebase631 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:26 am We are using the whole scan, only reverting to the Blu-ray for damaged/missing material.

I've probably mentioned this before but at the time this movie came out, most theaters were using platter projection, which is when the whole feature, trailers and everything are spliced together and run through a single projector from a large horizontal platter, as opposed to individual reels alternating between two projectors. This required the heads and tails of each reel to be cut off and then spliced back on when the theater was done with the print. Some projectionists did this more carefully than others. There's a fair amount hacked out of this print at the beginning and end of each reel, either intentionally (it originally featured a trailer for New World's The Stuff before the Bambi short) or otherwise. We'll be using the Blu-ray for that stuff and at least one mid-reel splice I can remember offhand.

There will be both 4K and 1080p releases. I'm planning on including some other audio options, like an isolated score track and possibly a commentary. There will be extras. I'm hoping to make a fully authored BD50.
Awesome stuff to hear! Loving the idea of using the scan as much as you can. I’m quite certain with both of you’re amazing skills you won’t be able to tell the difference between the scan and the blu ray scenes you had to use I’m sure it will all look seamless :)

Very exciting news about the 4K, 1080p and authored BD50 as well. Would love to have the final version on a special 4K/1080p disc set if possible and would definitely be worth paying for.

I would also like to help the project out by donating. Which would be the best way? Maybe I could help with a donation towards the PFClean license?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It'd take some doing to make the BD footage blend in 100%, but we will try to match it as best we can!

This isn't something we're intending to sell, just to clarify. The disc contents and artwork would be available to download, as with my reconstructions.

If you want to put something toward the cost PFClean license, that's where all of my Patreon proceeds are currently going! If you'd prefer a one-time thing, send me a private message and I'll give you my PayPal email. Thank you!
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Any chance we might still get a release of the raw footage? Maybe not in it's original form so much as it may be too big to store online with your other reconstructions. But at least a full 1080p and 4k version with an appropriate to mainstream bluray and 4k bitrates?
Also are you saying you're going to be blending in the kraken/toho bluray footage with the scan? As i assumed that would be fairly pointless considering the print would be given a 4k scan and yield much better results than the current toho HD offerings

littlebase631
Ronin

Post by littlebase631 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:14 am It'd take some doing to make the BD footage blend in 100%, but we will try to match it as best we can!

This isn't something we're intending to sell, just to clarify. The disc contents and artwork would be available to download, as with my reconstructions.

If you want to put something toward the cost PFClean license, that's where all of my Patreon proceeds are currently going! If you'd prefer a one-time thing, send me a private message and I'll give you my PayPal email. Thank you!
Yeah I’m sure it will be challenging but I’m sure you’ll knock it out of the park matching it. You’re talking about matching the blu ray scenes with the 4K scan right? Lol because if you use a 1080p scan with the blu ray scenes there wouldn’t be that much to match besides color right?

Oh of course I wasn’t saying you should or anything I just meant the magnitude of this film with this type of quality would be worth that kind of combo set lol.

Yes I was thinking of a one time donation at the moment. I messaged you on fb I don’t have my pm privileges yet lol.
Last edited by littlebase631 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Not to repeat myself but I still hope Seranov and you should put out a 1080p version of the film in the MKV format to drum up donations or at the very least a more raw capture of the print for preservation sake. I know if myself and others ould see what it looks like in its current state before the digital cleaning there would be more of an influx of donations. I personally would gladly donate quite a bit if that happens and you can hold me to that. Just honestly very excited to see proper looking footage of the American cut scenes
Last edited by G-MAN on Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

I haven't been here in over a year and this is what happens? There's a 35mm print of 1985 and it's being restored? I'm really glad to be a part of this project, and it'll be awesome to see the final release when it does. There's been so much decent work going into this that just seemed unthinkable years ago. Kudos for that.

littlebase631
Ronin

Post by littlebase631 »

Sorry to bump an old topic but is there any updates on this?

Chaotic-Strike
Yojimbo

Post by Chaotic-Strike »

May be a little late now since it’s been over a year since this project has been updated. But have you guys that own the 35mm print ever tried to reach out to Kinekovideo on Twitter? They recently restored a 35mm Z film print of Bojack Unbound and it was gorgeous. I would get in touch with them about Godzilla 1985. Maybe host another crowdfunding thing here and other sites to cover their price of restoration?

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Any updates?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just finished watched this reconstruction on YouTube. I saw my username in the special thanks at the end! May I ask how we contribute without actually working on the project?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.