Fan-Made Kaiju Redesign Thread

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Best and Worse Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Jermobooka »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:20 am Dunno if it's been mentioned before, but...thoughts on the Scholastic book Mothra?

I mean, it looks good, but...what?

Scholastic book Mothra??? What book is this? Are there any other kaiju in this book?
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:09 am Scholastic book Mothra??? What book is this? Are there any other kaiju in this book?
Oh, there's a whole range of books and trading cards of this series. All sorts of monsters from myths, books, films, folklore etc. I think they're called Mythical Monsters or something.

And yes, Godzilla and Kong are there also.
Spoiler:
ImageImage

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:11 am
Jermobooka wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:09 am Scholastic book Mothra??? What book is this? Are there any other kaiju in this book?
Oh, there's a whole range of books and trading cards of this series. All sorts of monsters from myths, books, films, folklore etc. I think they're called Mythical Monsters or something.

And yes, Godzilla and Kong are there also.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
I remember picking up this book in the library and being very shocked when I got to the page with Godzilla, and even more shocked when I saw Mothra a few pages ahead.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:20 am Dunno if it's been mentioned before, but...thoughts on the Scholastic book Mothra?

I really like it. Although, I feel like there should be a topic in General Toho or Monster Manor for licensed kaiju redesigns.

Now, I should really cool down from this topic but Hypoem released a Singular Point-inspired Godzilla and I dare say it looks better than the one they made.

ArtMaker
Interpol Agent

Post by ArtMaker »

Oh man, I remember reading that book back in elementary. Ah, the memories. : )

Personally, I think the design is well done. Gives Mothra that “creepy bug” vibe. It rather reminds me of her appearance on the American poster: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY741_.jpg, which it probably might be. If I had to guess, the alterations made here were probably to avoid any copyright infringement or other. Probably got the license for name(s) and such, but not the likeness. Idk.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:34 am

I really like it. Although, I feel like there should be a topic in General Toho or Monster Manor for licensed kaiju redesigns.

Now, I should really cool down from this topic but Hypoem released a Singular Point-inspired Godzilla and I dare say it looks better than the one they made.
It looks like the Etch-a-sketch version of SP G
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

merio
GPN Volunteer

Post by merio »

cool behemoth

Gun345
he/him 17

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

My take on Godzilla. More to come. I know I am a rather mediocre artist but I think it gets across most of what I wanted to show. Note that his tail would usually be lower down, but I had to fit him onto the page somehow.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:43 am My take on Godzilla. More to come. I know I am a rather mediocre artist but I think it gets across most of what I wanted to show. Note that his tail would usually be lower down, but I had to fit him onto the page somehow.
It's a pretty neat look. The head really reminds me of a Gorgonopsid or something which is cool. I'd say to maybe pad him out with some detail on the body, yknow, maybe an area with scutes or something on the lower body, or bigger claws? It's not necessary, but it'd flesh it out a bit more. It's a very natural looking Godzilla. ^-^b
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:43 am Image

My take on Godzilla. More to come. I know I am a rather mediocre artist but I think it gets across most of what I wanted to show. Note that his tail would usually be lower down, but I had to fit him onto the page somehow.
Reminds me of a mix of Doomsday *DC* with Godzilla. Needs more details and fix the posture a bit to not look so straight up like an older rendition of a T-Rex but pretty good. I'd get rid of the tail spikes makes it too close to a SG.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I assume this is some sort of Saturday-morning-cartoon-type design. Still not that good.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:42 am
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:43 am My take on Godzilla. More to come. I know I am a rather mediocre artist but I think it gets across most of what I wanted to show. Note that his tail would usually be lower down, but I had to fit him onto the page somehow.
It's a pretty neat look. The head really reminds me of a Gorgonopsid or something which is cool. I'd say to maybe pad him out with some detail on the body, yknow, maybe an area with scutes or something on the lower body, or bigger claws? It's not necessary, but it'd flesh it out a bit more. It's a very natural looking Godzilla. ^-^b
Aye, thank you. Looking back on it I think the legs may need more bulk. I also did want to do scutes on the legs and tail but forgot to add them :mad: . I do appreciate the comment on how natural he looks; I kind of wanted to imply he was natural but was slightly "twisted" by the bomb (he has six digits for example). Really appreciate it.

Also, funny you mention gorgonopsids, I did in fact reference the skull of Inostrancevia and the synapsid Dimetrodon while drawing :p

Added in 37 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:12 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:43 am Image

Reminds me of a mix of Doomsday *DC* with Godzilla. Needs more details and fix the posture a bit to not look so straight up like an older rendition of a T-Rex but pretty good. I'd get rid of the tail spikes makes it too close to a SG.
Honored to see the guy with the best takes on the forum comment on my art
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Also, here's the Walking With Giants Bagorah, combined with the Gryphon.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:08 pm

Damn that is some fine sarcasm you got going on :lol: .

Love it.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I don’t know how to feel about this Ultraman redesign...

:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:16 pm I don’t know how to feel about this Ultraman redesign...

I don't get nightmares, but I know I'm gonna be seeing this shit in my sleep lol.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:58 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:08 pm

Damn that is some fine sarcasm you got going on :lol: .

Love it.
No im actually being honest lmao

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:16 pm I don’t know how to feel about this Ultraman redesign...

I can tell you.

It sucks. I think the design is rather interesting but the face kills it for me, too humanoid A.I style and looks more horror than Ultraman should.

I look at it and all I hear is

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? Dave, I really think we should kill that monster and tear it limb from limb".

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I'm getting a Dr. Manhattan vibe from that Ultraman redesign, an almost-human-but-no-quite-there feeling like certain basic human emotions and behaviors would be alien to this version.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Whoever made this, we should bar them and everyone who shares even a single gene with them from ever making a tokusatsu reimagining.

Seriously, as a (newly-devout) Ultraman fanboy, this hurts my soul. I'm just glad this isn't how Shin looks.