"The Strong Man" Discussion

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

Godzilla The King
Futurian

"The Strong Man" Discussion

Post by Godzilla The King »

Had to repost this due to it being deleted, feel free to leave any criticism on this (very) short story. I'd like your honest opinion folks, no need to sugar coat it.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "The Strong Man" Discussion

Post by GodzillavsJason »

That was quite a good story about a hero and a villain not being the sterotypical black and white but more of grey in there. Both think what they're doing is the right thing and yet question themselves. Very good short story and I was happy enough to notice this. Good work.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

Just finished reading your story.

I have to say, for its length, it's rather good. It's difficult in a short story to find the right way to work in tone and detail, but you've put in a satisfactory amount for how long the story is that a reader can become engaged by the it.

The use of the grey morality (In which it is difficult to discern hero from villain) is this story's strongest aspect, I think. You write from the perspective of the 'villain' and make the 'hero' whose actions would typically written in a positive light, come across as menacing and brutal to the 'villain'. The idea you have, that villains are simply heroes who become disillusioned with their own actions, cements this tone in my mind. It's a clever mechanic, and you do it well.

The only thing that I must say could use some improvement is the ending. It does somewhat end on an abrupt note, and I think that you could stand to flesh it out just a tad more.
Lazer's Art Thread:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

I've had the same opinion on the ending myself, it was my first ever story and I never knew how to finish it. Honestly, I might go back and edit it at some point. It needs more meat on that ending.

Yes, the idea of a hero being horrifying to the villain is only really focused on in a few Batman stories and even then we rarely see from the villain's perspective. I just thought the idea was interesting, I also find the idea that villains and heroes are only split because of one difference. Morality in fiction needs to be more grey, but not to the extent where we feel the heroes are only slightly better than who they face, but they need to be shown as people who aren't always right.

I always thought of showing this to a few real life friends.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"