RWBY: A Beacon of Hope Discussion Thread

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RWBY: A Beacon of Hope Discussion Thread

Post by SpanishBulldog63 »

GodzillavsJason wrote:Well then....... *Sadly walks off with The sad Incredible Hulk theme plays*

I can't find this reference you speak of.

Also, the song is The Lonely Man by John Harnell
NSZ wrote:Well thanks, GVJ, now I can't not picture Sal being voiced by Geoff Ramsey. :lol:
"-what they don't know won't hurt 'em... until they're dead."
Resized Image

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

“CHOKE ON YOUR PUNS!”
I feel like this phrase is applicable to everyday life.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

GAH! THE PUNS! THEY BUUUUURRRRRNNNNNN!

ohai Stella. Also, Argenta, not Argent. :P

Great chapter, as usual.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

Inferno Rodan wrote:GAH! THE PUNS! THEY BUUUUURRRRRNNNNNN!

ohai Stella. Also, Argenta, not Argent. :P

Great chapter, as usual.
But they can't burn you, you're Inferno Rodan! :lol:
NSZ wrote:Well thanks, GVJ, now I can't not picture Sal being voiced by Geoff Ramsey. :lol:
Resized Image

SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

After many setbacks, school, and the grim situation in the family, chapter 7 is finally here. Big thanks to NSZ for looking it over before I posted it today.

References abound, and running gags galore, enjoy folks!
Resized Image

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

That. Was. Amazing!

I loved every bit of that chapter and such feelz! Seriously you did an amazing job with Marian this chapter with her flashbacks, the others helping her out and just the overall character banter! This is what George Lucas was missing in the prequels. This is how characters talk to each other!

Also, that ending was hilarious! Got love the running gag we have here.

And let's not forget deez references!
I really like Agent Carolina…such a tragic family of hers, though
[Screams}
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

SpanishBulldog63 wrote:Big thanks to NSZ for looking it over before I posted it today.
:angel:

Seriously, it was my honor, dude, glad to be of help.

Now, let me just yank this big ol' knife this chapter put into my heart, and I can get to gushing about it proper.

[SHLINK!]

Holy fuck, you were not kidding when you said that you were gonna put Marion through the emotional wringer in this chapter. And I knew there were gonna be shout-outs to the JP franchise with the villages being shout-outs to the Five Deaths, but surprise JW shout-out for the fucking win!

Also, angry Blitz is scary I am so proud (Rest in Fucking Pieces the dumbass who thought it was a good idea to modify their weapon in the middle of a job, we hardly knew ya).
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

I'm actually kinda surprised you two of all people didn't pick up on the RvB reference towards the end.

And angry Blitz is fun to write. Speaking of, surprised you haven't said much about her screwing over the competition (Roman).
Resized Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

SpanishBulldog63 wrote:I'm actually kinda surprised you two of all people didn't pick up on the RvB reference towards the end.
You referenced a joke from Seasons 6 & 7. That was five to four years ago, Sal, cut us some slack. :P
And angry Blitz is fun to write. Speaking of, surprised you haven't said much about her screwing over the competition (Roman).
Never fraternize with the competition, especially if it's Blitz. :angel:

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

SpanishBulldog63 wrote:I'm actually kinda surprised you two of all people didn't pick up on the RvB reference towards the end.

I did pick up on them, that's why I said, "Deez references".
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Post by DinoMaster »

Excellent chapter! While a newer fan in all of this, it was really cool to see the character development, the off days, and the Jurassic Park refreneces were really well done. And man, that was a really tragic backstory for Marian and I loved how Nemo kicked ass. Good work Sal.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Ozpin sighed as he turned to walk away before stopping, glancing in the direction of the gardens, “And I’d reconsider your stance about your team. Broken bonds mended together can sometimes be the strongest."
What a random, means-nothing direction to glance. I'm sure that will never come up again.
“Vert Williams, Beacon’s groundskeeper."
OOOOOH.

SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

Yup, that happened, Hayes. I will say I'm surprised you noted that and not-
“WHAT!”

SLAP

“THE HELL!”

SLAP

“WERE YOU!”

SLAP!

“THINKING?!”

SLAP

“Hey, I am in love with Marlin Brando, and I am fine with my love of Marlin Brando…and snack cakes.”
Resized Image

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I purposely ignored it. I figure it's like the boogeyman. If I stop believing in it, it goes away.

DinoMaster
G-Force Personnel

Post by DinoMaster »

Having caught up to Season 2, and with permission, I went and made a few characters. Please enjoy Gray and Naples, the last survivors of Team GREN.

Name: Gray Summers
Species: Human
Symbol: A black nautilus shell with white segments, sitting above two parallel grey helixes.
Appearance: Gray is 6’ 4”, and 190 pounds of lean muscle, with a lighter skin tone, and sharp steel eyes Gray seemed to have earned his name from the steel grey hair that dawns his head. A set of claw marked scars cross the left side of his face. Dress wise, he wears a variety of shades of grey button up shirts, vests, pants, and shoes.
History: Once one of the most excited and fairly talented students of Beacon of his class, Gray was part of the team GREN for the entirety of his time as a student. Quickly bonding and becoming tight friends with his team, they were the ones held highest for defending Vale from his graduating class, and those that were expected to do the best of things. He, Robin, Eggie, and Naples were sent out on their first real mission, with the utter expectancy to be handling a few grims, rescuing a few people, and making it all out overall.
This soon turned into disaster however, when a Bull Goliath Grimm appeared from almost nowhere. What was a simple mission soon turned into a bid for survival, with Eggie being crushed underfoot by the behemoth. With time running out, and the rampaging beast headed straight for Vale, Robin took things under her own control, leading the beast away and sacrificing herself to save the population of the small village that they had rescued.
Once everything was taken care of, Naples left the hunting business for good, settling down and opening a small bookshop in Vale. Gray did the opposite, taking to the field and almost rarely leaving it. While he holds out for the small hope that Robin is still alive out there, he hunts with a vengeance that few would devote to such a beast. Rarely coming back in and taking most of his missions from the field, only a few know him well.
Personality: The ones that most people see is a surprising social side to a loner, where he is a smiling and amicable person. This comes more however, from the fact that he comes in only for his social needs. Out on the field, he is a lone wolf, rarely taking missions with more than himself needed or used for such a situation. Working with him can mean a cold shoulder or a detached personality, growing from a fear that if he gets close again, they’ll be ripped away from him.
Strength: Gray is an incredibly durable person, able to take hits from grim and the like without receiving much damage. This with a fury of hatred for Grimm allows him to be a formidable foe, slicing through enemies without much hesitation. Every now and then, he considers taking a trophy from one of the Grimm, to show that he remains vigilant, and isn’t something to be trifled with.
Weakness: While a strong and formidable foe, he remains a lone wolf. This can be tricky when dealing with multiple foes, and no one to fall back on. His anger can also be used in the same way, making his attacks sloppy and not as well thought out as a graduate would normally be.
Semblance: Gray’s semblance revolves around weather manipulation, such as summoning a small bolt of lightning, sudden flashpoints of sunlight, vanishing into fog, etc. These tend to be more for distractions and camouflage, as the more attack based ones drain him fairly quickly.

WEAPON

Name: Gaia’s Damnation
Primary Form: Looking like something out of a future based Evil Dead film, the main form is a chainsaw basis, using a dust kick to create a heated plasma blade that can cut through materials with ease. It also can be used as a ways of moving quickly across terrain, like a giant motor through certain field situations. A blade guard allows for more defensive based moves, blocking blows with it and the like.
Secondary Form: The blade can extend, and hook outwards like the guard, and turn into a double ended scythe that can be wielded with ease. Plasma state can also be achieved with this state, as well as a semblance of flight that can be used in falling scenarios for more controlled climbing of terrain using the motor of the chainsaw.
History: Originally a double scythe blade, Gray received a challenge by the headmaster at the time to come up with something that was totally unique, that was his own. With tweaking, he created the first student in the academy to use a Dust powered Chainsaw, creating a unique strategy with his team to utilize it. Now without it, it works well in slicing invasive Grimm into pieces.

Name: Naples
Species: Owl Faunus
Symbol: A lavender flower wrapped around by thorns, the logo of her Bookstore.
Appearance: Physically, she looks fairly human. The only few cues that she’s not is a set of larger eyes, a small smattering of feathers that remain well covered, and the ability to rotate her head around like that of an owl. The big brown eyes and the various hidden scars on her body show that she isn’t one to be trifiled with, even at four feet and 120 pounds.
Outfit wise, she wears a white, billowy undershirt accented by a brown overcoat and pants, and dark brown shoes. A small pair of rounded glasses sit on her face, and she’s not often seen without some sort of Owl jewelry on her somewhere.
History: The thinker and planmaker of the group GREN, she was the one that made sure that things went well, and everyone stuck together and did what was needed to be done. Normally covered for any contingency, the surprise and death of her teammates tore her apart inside. Once things had been taken care of, she quickly vanished off from the Huntsman lifestyle, opening a small, hidden bookstore that would be more for those looking for specific things rather than more open mainstream. She still remained in contact with Gray Summers, and a few others to be around just in case of needing.
Personality: While a dominant personality, she is also bookish and prefers to keep to herself a good deal of the time.
Strength: Agility and smarts are her two greatest strengths, and she applies these well in battle as needed. When in GREN, she would pair up with Gray as the mid and long range, allowing for the chainsaw wielding Gray to come in and deal the massive amounts of damage.
Weakness: Social situations and strength can be weak points, as she rarely gets to go and leave without stopping herself from doing so. Easier to exploit from a loner.
Semblance: Her semblance allows for her to tap into her more animal side, and obtain limited flight to be used in fighting situations and those that

WEAPON
Name: Aztecia
Primary Form: A metal staff lined with sharpened blades like that of a Maquahuitl, she swings it around as well as any swordsman, and can use it to disarm those that think have an advantage against the shorter woman.
Secondary Form: For when enemies are farther away, or reach is needed, Aztecia can collapse, and turn into a studded whip useful for reaching out and grasping foes, or holding things down for an ally to go and deal the more massive levels of damage.
Tertiary Form: A cane that she uses, hiding a more leathal weapon in plain sight. Less for combat, more for a reason to cart it around in this day and age.
History: Built as a mid-range, Aztecia was modified for use with the team that Naples was on. She kept it even after everything, because in an age of unrest and criminal activity, who could know when it would be needed again?

SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

Just wanted to let those following this know that this is far from dead, the new chapter is halfway through despite multiple rewrites and outside complications. Keep your eyes out in the future, everyone, and breathe easy! And as a little hint for what to look forward to:

Coming-up arc is dubbed 4 Birds, 1 Stone. Make of that what you will.
Resized Image

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

SpanishBulldog63 wrote:Just wanted to let those following this know that this is far from dead
Shit, I need to hire some better guys then.

"Ace hitmen," my ass...

SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

1 year, 20 days, and god knows how many setbacks later, I finally bring you chapter 8!

Big thanks to NSZ for looking it over and the addition of BAJJ (Beige), and to my asshole coworker/friend for supplying me with caffeine!
Resized Image

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Completely worth the wait, Sal. And kudos for managing to work in the material presented in the Manga.
SpanishBulldog63 wrote:Big thanks to NSZ for looking it over and the addition of BAJJ (Beige),
No prob, dude! Was happy to help out there.

SpanishBulldog63
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, chapter 2 of the manga actually helps set up the next few chapters too.

And speaking of new material, I'm sure you guys are wondering just who exactly Team BAJJ is. Well, here's a look at each member of the new team:

Character
Name: Jesse Burnside
Species: Human
Symbol: A black heart between two brackets.
Appearance: Stands at about 5’9” in height; athletically built; light skin; black hair and amber eyes; besides the school uniform, his attire consists of a white t-shirt, a red overshirt, dark gray pants, black bracers, and gray & black boots.
History: Jesse tends to keep his past close to his chest, the most he’s ever disclosed to his teammates was that he has a dead father (that he may or may not have seen be executed), and a mother who’s been missing since he was 11. Thus far, he’s only confided the whole truth to three specific people that he felt he could truly trust: a dusty old crow, an experienced huntress, and a wise headmaster.
Personality: Jesse is an optimistic individual in spite of his rather turbulent history (being dealt a bad hand by life hasn’t ruined him, though there are moments where he needs some time alone); he’s someone who’s ready and willing to protect those who can’t protect themselves; he also has a bit of a sweet tooth, give him a bag of anything chocolate and not only will it probably be gone within 15 minutes, you'll more than likely become good friends.
Strengths: He’s fast on his feet, and has very good reflexes.
Weaknesses: His skill in hand to hand combat is... lacking, though he’s making an effort to improve, and he isn’t necessarily fond of using his semblance in combat. He’s also very awkward around strangers.
Semblance: Pyromancy- can create and manipulate fire, ranging from tiny flames to massive infernos (granted, he has seldom conjured up blazes that large). This semblance also grants him protection against fire-based attacks (Burn Dust is essentially useless against him).

WEAPON
Name: Dead Master
Primary Form: Scythe – A scythe with a black colored frame and green trim, and a crescent-shaped blade. Overall, it’s not too dissimilar from Crescent Rose, though there are slight differences, such as a slightly thinner frame, the lack of a scope, and no blades at the bottom.
Secondary Form: Automatic Shotgun – In this form, the blade of the scythe folds in and the frame slides down towards the magazine, and the barrel shortens but doesn’t collapse fully. A pistol grip pops out just behind the trigger, another grip springs out from the frame, and the bottom of the staff bends downwards at a 90 degree angle. Magazine holds 15 rounds.
History: Dead Master was built with the aide of the man that had found and taught Jesse, Qrow Branwen. He opted for a scythe as it was something he was familiar with due to his education, and it wouldn’t heavily rely on his semblance.

Character
Name: Ash Williams (based on the Evil Dead character)
Race: Human
Symbol: A rotting hand
Appearance: Charcoal grey hair and dull red eyes always looking like he’s seen some things, Ash stands at roughly 6’0”. He wears dark brown pants and a blue longsleeve button-up shirt with two slings across it: one for Evil Dead, another for its ammunition.
History: An average citizen of a town on the edge of Vale’s reaches, Ash only took up combat school in Signal to appease his parents. On the weekends, he and his friends would visit a cabin and party like most civilian teens would. But fate was cruel one night when Geists invaded the cabin, possessing anything they could to harm the partygoers. Ash watched in horror as his friends were killed by the Grimm, stuck in the garage with a metal rod through his hand. The only thing in his reach was a chainsaw…
Now he’s in Beacon, taking everything more seriously (or at least trying to), so he can ensure nothing like that happens to anyone else....and stocking the shelves at the S-Mart in Vale when he’s not in class.
Personality: Ash’s personality is a bit rough around the edges when it comes to being a team player. He takes a bit to grow on you, but he really is a trusty teammate. Crafty, Evil Dead was a creation of his own design after circumstances required he take his own hand off with the chainsaw he uses now. He’s got a bad habit of trying to be a ladies man at the worst times
Strengths: Craftiness such as limited knowledge of makeshift explosives (I’m looking at you, Army of Darkness), the strategist and wildcard of BAJJ
Weakness: His personality makes it hard to work with sometimes, especially when it comes to his womanizing. He is also, unfortunately for the rest of BAJJ, prone to cowardice and moments of stupidity. He’s also just barely above average as a fighter, but he’s getting there.
Semblance: Increased Durability- Ash increases his aura output and his durability increases alongside it, making him not just a strategist but a damage sponge. It’s especially helpful when coming to a teammates aid or if the tide has turned against him.

Weapon
Name: Evil Dead
Primary: Chainsaw that attaches to the adaptor that holds his robotic hand. It syncs to the circuitry inside, allowing Ash full control of its functions.
Secondary: The chainsaw retracts into the frame and the twin barrels extend forward to take its place. Unlike a standard double barrel, Evil Dead is capable of firing multiple shots before needing to be reloaded.
History: The chainsaw Ash used to amputate himself. Ash modified it to suit his fighting style, even if it serves as a cruel reminder of his missing hand.

Character
Name: Johnny Blaze (based on the Ghost Rider)
Symbol: A flaming skull
Appearance: The tallest member of BAJJ, he stands at 6’2” with a lanky yet burly build one would expect from a biker. He has orange eyes and his hair is reminiscent of a flame, colored dark red at the bottom, fades to orange in the middle, then fades from yellow to white at the top. Wears a black leather jacket with a row of three metal spikes on each shoulder and spikes on the forearms, and black pants.
History: A traveling stunt rider with his father, Johnny originally comes from Vacuo, but all of the traveling has left memories of his hometown fuzzy. One trip to a village in the badlands between Vacuo and Vale across poor terrain led to an accident; the trailer tipped over a ledge, and both he and his father broke loose of the seat belts, falling out of the windshield. Johnny made it out okay, at least in comparison to Mr. Blaze, who was crushed by the trailer. A good samaritan had passed by, offering to help Blaze’s critical injuries by unlocking his aura before taking him to a hospital. Wary of the stranger, Blaze accepted the help, feeling fully restored until he was told nothing could be done about his father.
Apparently, after the accident, a little bird sent word to a combat school in Vacuo who housed and trained Blaze. Once it was time to select an academy, Johnny was greeted with a call from Beacon Academy. Remembering the good times that were had in the kingdom of Vale, Blaze accepted, leaving all the blood, sweat, and tears of that day behind.
Personality: Johnny Blaze’s past as a stuntman shows as he is more than reckless, especially on his motorcycle. He can be serious, aside from picking on Sturm and making everything those two do competitive, as he watches passerby like a hawk. He’s not a holy roller, but he does believe that people should stand for those who are innocent, even if he’s not so innocent himself. This belief sometimes makes him a bit...hot-headed.
Strengths: Skilled mechanic, knowledgeable in Grimm, Remnant’s history, and Dust, can tell when someone’s lying (some say it’s like he’s staring into their soul), CQC/physically the strongest on BAJJ, good shot
Weakness: Recklessness and hotheadedness lead to more trouble than he likes to admit, not afraid to stand up for what’s right, and calling people out on lies, have also gotten him in fights.
Semblance: Ghost Rider (Transformation)

Weapon
Name: Phantom Morrow and Hellfire
-Phantom Morrow is Blaze’s primary weapon, an incredibly long chain tipped with a dagger-like point
- Hellfire is a 6-shot tactical shotgun with a ghost ring sight. Capable of projecting blasts of Blaze’s firey aura when out of ammo.

Character
Name: Sturm Johann
Symbol: A ball of fire between two hands
Appearance: Stands at just about 5’10” in height, with a lean athletic build to him. His hair is blonde and spiked up, and his eyes are an electric blue. Wears a white and blue jacket, a white tank top, and dark blue pants.
History: An energetic youth from the kingdom of Atlas, Sturm was always a bit of a rebellious child when compared to his older sister, which understandably caused its fair share of headaches for their parents. One day, his sister’s boyfriend invited the two of them and a fellow friend to witness a dust-related experiment he was about to conduct. It… ended poorly, to say the least. With Sturm being the only one not laid up in the hospital, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out who was quietly blamed behind closed doors. Fed up, Sturm quietly packed whatever belongings of his that he could carry and sneaked away into the night. Now he attends Beacon, quietly hoping his past doesn’t come calling for him.
Personality: Cocky, always eager to show off. Bit of an attention hog, really, but has a heart of gold.
Strengths: A decent fighter, and is the fastest member of Team BAJJ.
Weakness: His cocky attitude and eagerness to show off will often times cause him to let his guard down around opponents. This has, predictably, cost him fights he would have otherwise easily won. He’s also not the sharpest tool in the shed, and his semblance can be easily countered with large amounts of water.
Semblance: Heat Generation- Sturm can generate a field of heat around himself that keeps enemies at a distance unless they want to be cooked well done. It’s speculated that it can be as hot as the sun, but he hasn’t attempted such temperatures for obvious reasons.

Weapon
Name:Nova Superior
Primary Function: Bladed tonfas- Sturm wields a pair of bladed tonfas that are similar in color style to Pyrrha’s Milo. The blades rest on the long end of the tonfas.
Secondary function: Flamethrowers- at the bottom of the grips are button-triggers that activate the flamethrowers inside of Nova Superior’s short ends. Flames can also shoot with enough force to propel him (think Sharkface). Not only useful in combat...he uses it to race Johnny and his bike on occasion.
History: Constructed by Sturm during his time at Atlas’ primary combat school.
Resized Image