Discussion about the future of the FF section

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

Gojira21
Futurian

Re: Discussion about the future of the FF section

Post by Gojira21 »

Im sure it will probably be a long process to do, but for me personally its already hard enough to locate stories when searching through endless pages.
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Gojira21 wrote:Im sure it will probably be a long process to do, but for me personally its already hard enough to locate stories when searching through endless pages.

i had this issue initially as well (you might see my posts asking for "through the gates of hell" by G1995 because the subforum is so cluttered). but i managed.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Gojira21
Futurian

Post by Gojira21 »

Oh I have no doubt people can manage. Im just thinking that having better organization might help with drawing in newer members.
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I say we hold another writing contest and advertise it on the board index usijg the news marquee ticker thing.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Mothra Freak wrote:Guys, guys, everything will be fine. I'm back.

;D
*insert highly.unnecessary over the top welcome back celebration.here*

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Gojira21 wrote:I have an idea but not sure if it will gain attetion. Could we possibly break up this fourm into seperate sections? What I mean is have different sections that are specifically for a certain genre. For example: you can a section for horror tilted: Horror, or one for Science Fiction, e.t.c. That will atleast keep this place less cluttered and organized.

Another idea (which might not work) is a Lottery. The idea is writters or general members can post up a topic idea for a story or what they might like to see in a story. Then can a voting process or a claims process where writters can take that idea and create a story with it...with permission ofcourse. Thats just a basic idea, it could change and anyone is encouraged too pitch their ideas.

Personally I always thought we should do something to split stuff up to make it less cluttered. I think there should be a sub-forum for discussion boards. The main part of this section is stories and the sub-forum is for discussion board.

If you all like it, I will pitch on the ideas thread and see if it can be done. :)
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

The only sort of split I could see working is to separate actual fan fiction and original stories. And maaaaaaybe a third section for signup stories.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

HayesAJones wrote:The only sort of split I could see working is to separate actual fan fiction and original stories. And maaaaaaybe a third section for signup stories.
Hmm that could work as well.

Good thinking Hayes.

Now to murder you and steal all the credit.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

GodzillavsJason wrote:Now to murder you and steal all the credit.
I dare you to try. I DARE you.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

GodzillavsJason wrote:@20th Century.

I agree that we need some meaningful stories but I think we do have some. Even if some are more in a comedic and silly value like my story, The Noob, but that was made when we were all having a fun conversation on me getting to know some of these people in The Last Writer Standing. If it wasn't for that then I wouldn't have formed a good friendship with writers such as Corzak, Spanishbuldog, Nani Sore, ernesth, Bio, Freak and Hayes. Hell, even in the discussion board on The Noob; I saw Giral, Bio and Nani all talking to each other and you may not call meaningful but I saw three users who don't really talk to each other actually having a great conversation and having a fun time. Sometimes meaningful can be silly and sometimes silly can bring out the best of things. It even brought just about the whole roster of writers at that time and having fun conversations just to one silly story that we were all talking about as a side to The Last Writer Standing.

I know we've had meaningful stories in the past that were more in a serious tone. Trust me I know. We've had stories like The Shade, The Summon of the Monsters, AVPVD, Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror, Sins of the Ancestors, The Kaiju Saga, Exitium, Rise of the three Spirit, Monster Hunter: The Crimson Shadow, Ender's Aftermath and Codex Godzillaverse. Need I say more?

I get what you're saying that you want to disrupt the flow of stories and I know that it can be done. Though, sometimes us writers want to make nonsensical things, make people laugh and pay tribute to those veteran writers. Yes, I know I've been doing this recently, but I do it because I pay tribute to the people who have taught me a lot in writing and without them I wouldn't have even be here. I also do it to make the other people a breather and give them a sense of calmness when they've had a bad day or just had to go through a lot of hard stuff. I've even seen a few people comment that it made them laugh their ass off and made their day a lot better just from something silly I made. That's one of the reasons I like to make these type of comedic stories is give people something to laugh at.

To answer your statement on the "silent majority", yes I do believe that there are people that maybe a part of that. I don't know I'm just going by assumption, but I have seen people doing it because they want to do their own thing. That's fine, I have expressed on how I want change here too, but that's because I just want to see some other writers do something different then their usual formula and to give us something new and challenging. Though, in the words of Gareth Edwards, "Sometimes you just got to make the movie the way you want it and not just for the audience."

Now remember, I'm not typing this up to antagonize or be rude; I just want to say how I felt about the subject and I want to say my point of view of the story. I would also like to say that your story is among the top of my list of stories that I am most excited for because it's a concept that no one here ever has really done. Plus, you're a writer we don't really see here that often and I would like really to see what you can offer to the table.

Thank you for listening to my point of how I felt about this subject and if I came off rude or mean-spirited then I deeply apologize.
Nah, you didn't come off as rude or anything. I agree with a lot of what you said, including the fact that there are some meaningful stories here. However, they were hard to find at first from the perspective of an outsider. Before exploring this section, I had some preconceived judgements on TK FF that I heard from other people around TK that made me assume there weren't any meaningful stories, barely any commenters, the same few writers only post stuff, etc. It wasn't until I did some exploring that I felt differently. However, that still appears to be the reputation of this section by people who aren't too familiar with this section. Some of the earlier comments in this thread are proof of that, for example. I didn't mean to contribute to that; sorry if it sounded like it. Nevertheless, I have learned quite a bit from this response, and this thread in general, so thank you for that.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

HayesAJones wrote:
GodzillavsJason wrote:Now to murder you and steal all the credit.
I dare you to try. I DARE you.
Please! You're talking to the person who made zillatoomanynumbers disappear. :twisted:

@20th Century. I am glad that we were able to come to an understanding and I thank you for taking the time to read my response. Again, I am excited for your story and I hope you learn more about how good this place is and what it can be. :)
52 wins and 27 loses

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

GVJ mentioned Gareth Edwards statement but to go along with it: a mantra from MST3K 'Not everyone will get it, but the right ones will get it'. Never write a story to appease everyone, write what you want to write about and the people who want read it will come to you.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't take people's suggestions on how to improve your story. For example: I'm usually terrible with endings so I welcomed any input on that part. I went through four endings on War of the Kaiju before going with the one I did. The original ending was after the toast during Tim's dinner with Diana and her mother. People suggested that it wasn't a satisfying ending. I came up with the idea that they needed to spend the night together so Diana can be his fail safe. I cut off after the deed. Again it was still considered unsatisfying. I added the morning after with them still lying in bed. I gave the store to a friend of mine to read it and she suggested that I change the part about them lying in bed because it sounded weird after his statement about him feeling like she's a sister to him (I later changed the line) so I changed it to them having breakfast on the patio. I found it satisfying and the response was positive: a win-win.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

Tim85 wrote:GVJ mentioned Gareth Edwards statement but to go along with it: a mantra from MST3K 'Not everyone will get it, but the right ones will get it'. Never write a story to appease everyone, write what you want to write about and the people who want read it will come to you.
This i can totally agree with.
Rest in Peace Victoria

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

GojirO wrote:
Tim85 wrote:GVJ mentioned Gareth Edwards statement but to go along with it: a mantra from MST3K 'Not everyone will get it, but the right ones will get it'. Never write a story to appease everyone, write what you want to write about and the people who want read it will come to you.
This i can totally agree with.
Seconded.