Ideas, Advice and Suggestions Thread

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Re: Ideas, Advice and Suggestions Thread

Postby Titanoterror98 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:21 pm

^Interesting. It reminds of the Vortaak mothership stag from Destroy All Monsters Melee! What would the setting be like? If you want to discuss some story ideas without giving anything away, feel free to PM me.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

MorgansTShirt
Yojimbo

Postby MorgansTShirt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:44 am

It occurs to me that a "beginning writers" section is entirely redundant. After reading Giratina's Cheshire Cafe story, and some of the recent parts of his Promised Heir, and a couple stories written by other soi-disant veterans of the fanfic section, I realized that everyone here is only a beginner; hardly skilled or seasoned enough to distinguish themselves so pompously from the beginning writers section.

11) Don’t be a know it all – No one, and I mean no one, likes the person who decides to try and show off that they perhaps know a bit more about writing than another person; all it comes off as is immature and arrogant. If you’re using some ridiculously long and complicated word to try and say what could be done better, make sure you post a meaning for it, or use a less complex word for it. You won’t seem smarter, you’ll just seem like the guy who likes to copy and paste big words.

And this rule is just really awful advice for a beginning writer.

Writing is a skill that can be cultivated. There's a reason why Poe, Hearn, Borges, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Rowling are celebrated (or criticized) while typical fanfics are the subject of snickering if they get any acknowledgment from outsiders. I don't even like Rowling's work, but I can instantly see how her skill in word-weaving surpasses that of many people. I may dislike Harry Potter, but I would be mad to suggest that anyone here has written anything better or comparable to it.

And this rule just aches of insecurity. It basically says "Don't use long words because we resent you for going over our heads."

There is a thing called prosody. Prosody is the pattern or rhythm that words make when strung together in sentences. Sometimes a sentence that would sound clumsy, choppy, dry, or monotonous due to basic vocabulary can be made more lyrical—and much more impressionable to the senses—when a suitable word—even a long or complicated one—is inserted into the rhythm.

Here is a passage from a distinguished author's short story that is made great thanks to its meaningful use of uncommon vocabulary, and would be made much weaker if it were rendered in flat, simplified, easy words:

Not as the plants and flowers of Earth, growing peacefully beneath a simple sun, were the blossoms of the planet Lophai. Coiling and uncoiling in double dawns; tossing tumultuously under vast suns of jade green and balas-ruby orange; swaying and weltering in rich twilights, in aurora-curtained nights, they resembled fields of rooted serpents that dance eternally to an other-worldly music.

Many were small and furtive, and crept viper-wise on the ground. Others were tall as pythons, rearing superbly in hieratic postures to the jeweled light. Some grew with single or dual stems that burgeoned forth into hydra heads, and some were frilled and festooned with leaves that suggested the wings of flying lizards, the pennants of faery lances, the phylacteries of a strange sacerdotalism. Some appeared to bear the scarlet wattles of dragons; others were tongued as if with black flames or the colored vapors that issue with weird writhings from out barbaric censers; and others still were armed with fleshy nets or tendrils, or with huge blossoms like bucklers perforated in battle. And all were equipped with venomous darts and fangs, all were alive, restless, and sentient.

http://www.eldritchdark.com/writings/sh ... the-flower
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:42 am, edited 11 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016
Futurian

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:24 pm

wow. you are pretentious.

#MinillaForSmash2018

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

MorgansTShirt
Yojimbo

Postby MorgansTShirt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:37 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:wow. you are pretentious.

And damn glad for it.

goji89
Keizer

Postby goji89 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:26 pm

MorgansTShirt wrote:

And damn glad for it.

Oh dear God...... :roll: .

GodzillavsJason

Postby GodzillavsJason » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:25 pm

MorgansTShirt wrote:

And damn glad for it.

If this is your way of saying "I'm going to start poop to get a rise out of everyone" then don't even do it. I, along with the rest of the mod/admin team will warn you if you do that. I will not give out another verbal warning.

Everyone else, drop the subject.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, The Goldbergs, and Red vs Blue!

NSZ wrote:Well thanks, GVJ, now I can't not picture Sal being voiced by Geoff Ramsey. :lol:

"Stop being a skreeonk and put it in my mouth!"-Adam (Funhaus of Rooster Teeth)

"For the kids"-Adam (Funhaus of Rooster Teeth)

NSZ wrote:It's only been two goddamn days, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I already miss Al's terrible puns.

Return to “Fan Fiction”