The Umbra Writing Contest

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

What do you want to write?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 am

A tale on the gods
45%
A tale about love
No votes
A tale about revenge
9%
A tale on the darkness of evil
9%
A tale on Ice Cream
36%

Total votes: 11

Kubo
Sazer

Re: The Umbra Writing Contest

Post by Kubo »

HayesAJones wrote:
Corzak The Mighty wrote:Da's kinda sad, actually.
That depends on your point of view.

*has actually paid off people to whack the other contestants*

Mwuhahah!
Why didn't you stay quiet about that?! I told you to not say anything, man! ;)
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Oh, KC... you know I can't resist boasting.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Corzak The Mighty wrote:Or did everyone forget?
Maybe it fell into the same hole as the last round of the Last Writer Standing contest and now they're stuck playing poker together.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

I am waiting for Shi-Ni to send me over his scores. Then we can show who won. But since Shi-Ni's been absent since the day the contest ended... we are at an impasse.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

TheCheatingSimmer56 wrote:Wait, we're still seriously waiting on Shi-Ni? Flygon I say if he doesn't send them in by Thursday (I image that would be your Wednesday since I'm Australian) we should just go with the two scores.
Seconded. We don't want another contest halted like the LWS and BB contests were.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

well, we are waiting for ONE last score from Shi-Ni, and then I will post the scores here.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

At long last... the time of judgment is here! The scores have all been added together, and here are the results!

Kiryu's entry: the song was out of place, and while he did have some entertaining characters and ideas, it didn't really seem to go anywhere until the God Mode Sue ending... I'm not hating him no God mode Sue stuff, since this IS about gods... I just felt it didn't really go much of anywhere, or establish the world it was in, aside from how strong his stuff was. 6/10. (me)

I thought it was a tad lacking. The dialogue was pretty stale, nothing really eye catching, it also felt as there was no point to them being gods in the first place because they were surprisingly pretty mortal. The song caught me completely off guard and didn't really better my experience with it and on top of all I kept on getting lost in every character's convoluted description.
There were some things good with it, there was a real effort to not repeat the same word again and I only saw about one or two grammar errors.
Overall I give it a 4/10 just below average (TCS)

I give it a 7/10. Rather interesting. I like dragons, so I was intrigued by the story. (Shi-Ni)

Overall Score: 17/30

Corzak's Entry: I don't see much clichéd about it. It's got a very linear, easy to follow fashion. Plus, the subject matter and the way the poem flows interests me quite abit. I give it a 9/10 (Me)

It was a bit forgettable and I got lost quite a few time, it was quite clichéd but the choice of words and no evident spelling or grammar errors did serve it to be better.
I think it deserves a 6/10 just above average (TCS)

10/10 I hate poems, but this shit was noice. The style was excellent, but the delivery was a-ma-zing! (Shi-Ni)

Final Score: 25/30

Biogoji's entry: Okay, okay, this is just silly. tense changes are annoying, the fact he's already had this written on here and just copied it over is also lazy. I can see the god aspect on this and I respect that... but I felt there was very little character development or world building here. 5/10. (Me)

It had some grammar errors and wasn't very descriptive, the dialogue pretty much swamped everything. And to be honest he just reused a school project he wrote.
2/10 Poor (TCS)

7/10 It reminded me of the original Godzilla, what with the ending and all. And the differing points of view were interesting. Would like to see another one, with similar format. (Shi-Ni)

Final Score: 15/30

Hayes's entry: This definitely kept my interest, and the gods did feel godly. Well paced, well thought out, and well executed. 8/10 (Me)

Well written, I didn't find any grammar or spelling mistakes and I felt absorbed by it. 8/10 Great (TCS)

8/10 I really liked the inner conflict. Reminds me of Russell, for some weird reason. (Shi-Ni)

Final Score: 24/30

4th place: Biogoji
3rd Place: Kiryu
2nd Place: Hayes

And in first place.....

CORZAK THE MIGHTY! CONGRATULATIONS!

Astrelus: Thanks to all of you who have joined this contest. Though many had to drop out for one reason or another, we would like to congratulate those who stuck through to the end, and especially those who made it into the top three. Sorry Biogoji.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Congrats, Corzak!

wisper15
Xilien Halfling

Post by wisper15 »

Congrats, Corzak. I'll pay for the shots ;)
TK's resident Taurean

Biogoji
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Biogoji »

Dam it. Well this isn't the last you have seen of Biogoji. Now Goodbye for ever!!!!