How big is too big for a Goji fanfic?

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

Gexistentialist
Monsterland Worker

How big is too big for a Goji fanfic?

Post by Gexistentialist »

I've noticed that a great deal of stories in this part of TK vary from short story to novelette length. However, suppose a TK writer tried to make an "epic" fanfic. It'd be difficult to post in its entirety without dividing it into parts for easier reading. Take my fanfic concept, which I have struggled on for a long time. There are about seven major characters out of sixteen PIP characters (plot important persons); there is going to be extensive detail in technology and military/government goings-on, and the action scenes are logistically complex. For example, a battle in my fanfic that could last for a few minutes on film could be 10+ pages.

Personally, I think I am overcomplicating what should be an accessible, easy-to-follow story.
Writer. Creator. Human Being.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: How big is too big for a Goji fanfic?

Post by Spuro »

How big is too big?

Only if it's bigger than what you can accomplish. ;) I myself, am working on a fan fic called Dawn of the Kaiju, an extremely long fan fic divide up into several novel length parts. And the two of us are not the only ones with a lot of ambition for a big fan fic. I've read plenty of fan fics that easily last the length of your average novel, that can take days for me to read.

If you feel that you can't write a story that is as long as you would have liked, perhaps it is best to shorten it a little. But if you're up to the challenge, I say "Go right ahead!" And if you want to make your story easier to follow, perhaps you could try releasing a chapter a day once the entire story is finished?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

There is no such thing as too big. Turn it into a multiple story arc; you'll be surprised to where it leads you.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

If you have ever been to KaijuPhile, I generally find that C.L. Werner's stories are appropriate in length. They are all one large story, but separated into several mini-stories that probably average around 80 pages each (except for the Bagan arch, which is probably 200 or so pages). It is probably easier to do something like that, individual segments all weaved into the same universe, rather than working on one huge story.
Legionmaster wrote:You can't counter-seduce, women can shut down their libido at will. It's scary fast too. You'll have to do the man version: punch her in the face.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

Yabs! Long time no see!

To expand on what I said about no such thing as too long; however long it takes to get your point across. Sometimes it won't take long, others will be looooooong. Do what you need to tell your story. I always right like I'm writing a novel so my chapters tend to be long.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/