Tohokingdom's Writing Class

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Tohokingdom's Writing Class

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:16 am

Not sure if this has already been done yet. I looked in the last ten pages of the sub-forum, but I couldn't find anything.

If anyone has trouble writing and is looking to improve, come here to post your problems. If anyone wants a quick critic, post here if you'd like. If you want to randomly give out writing advice, by all means, this is the thread for you. This is the TK Writing Class.

I'm not in charge here, so I invite any members to share their ideas. We all have something to teach and learn, whether it's the art or writing or the aspects of storytelling.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Gojira21
EDF Soldier

Re: Tohokingdom's Writing Class

Postby Gojira21 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:05 am

Hmmm, interesting thread topic. This could probably be useful for everywhere in the future.
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

http://pokemunity.proboards.com/index.cgi

"Promethus has landed"

Kubo
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Kubo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:56 am

Hm...the biggest thing I've learned is to map out a story before you start writing. Otherwise, you'll end up three chapters deep and realize you ran into a dead end. If it's a looser story (like a series of events with some relevance), then make sure you have plenty f room to expand. Nothing sucks more than finding out you've dug a hole without bringing a ladder.

Dat is all.
Your friendly neighborhood tailor (definitely not a spy)
Next Episode Airs August 4th @ 10:00 pm EST in the Fan Fiction Forum
NEW EPISODE OUT NOW!
New Episode Every Saturday!
Thread

Twitter: @Dead_Ed_Lemmik
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Gojira21
EDF Soldier

Postby Gojira21 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Good advice KC, i agree with that although...Exitium ran into many of those same senarios...>_> but hey i was able to complete that! :D lol
"Monsters are tragic beings; they are born too tall, too strong, too heavy, they are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy"

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Giratina93 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:13 pm

As KC said, it is best to plan ahead on a story. Don't feel ashamed of going through multiple drafts and having a test audience to read to...

Also, to prevent schedule slips, put yourself on a schedule, like a chapter per 3 days, or one a week, depending on your business. Keeping on track helps to ensure that you don't suffer a Duke Nukem...

How ironic, considering I don't follow that advice at all... and look how I turned out...
You dare try to challenge me? Then we shall see how you fare against a true Archangel!

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Gojira21
EDF Soldier

Postby Gojira21 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:30 pm

I think everyone has that at one point or another Flygon, lol Another thing is, or for me at least, go into writting your story picturing what to happen in this specific scene. Having that aspect will help you understand what words or sentences you are going to want to form to bring that image to life.

-Ishiro Honda

"Promethus has landed"

Tim85
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tim85 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 pm

As stated before, make an outline of your chapters and summarize them. Also when doung fight scenes, write a brief play by play on how you want it to go and then expand on it later.
Also, after I get my stuff all typed up, I print them out and as I'm reading it, I use a pencil to make revisions. I actually find I think better about certain aspects or catch typos better then when I staring at a computer screen.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

62JackC
Yin-Yang Master

Postby 62JackC » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:55 pm

I don't know how to really "blow up" my ideas or explain properly and then my grammar is awful, because I don't know where to put commas at and it doesn't help that all of my english teachers seem to have ignored proper grammar.
TK's Resident Destoroyah Fanboy

Legion1979 wrote:
bearijuana wrote:Lol, I dress up like that at parties alot, and my cousin will dress up as Harley Quinn when I dress up as him ;)

And I'm assuming after that you two get it on? Or does her brother have first dibs?

Tim85
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tim85 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:35 am

62JackC wrote:I don't know how to really "blow up" my ideas or explain properly and then my grammar is awful, because I don't know where to put commas at and it doesn't help that all of my english teachers seem to have ignored proper grammar.

Practice my friend, practice. Feel free to have people proof read for you and keep a Thesaurus around if you're still learning. It's hard to get a scene sound epic on paper when it's epic in your mind.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Postby HayesAJones » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Jomei wrote:
King Caesar wrote:Hm...the biggest thing I've learned is to map out a story before you start writing. Otherwise, you'll end up three chapters deep and realize you ran into a dead end. If it's a looser story (like a series of events with some relevance), then make sure you have plenty f room to expand. Nothing sucks more than finding out you've dug a hole without bringing a ladder.

They often teach you the opposite in creative writing classes. Not that either approach is inherently right or wrong, and pre-conceived plots may be more important in genre fiction, but sometimes "planned out" stories lack a sense of truth and honesty that stories which are allowed to develop freely contain.

Stories are about characters. Throw a character in a situation and see what happens. Don't force him from point A to point B--start him in situation A and see where he goes. Or at least don't wed yourself to a particular conclusion.

I would try and reach a midpoint. Definitely plan out a few core events/concepts/whatever, but let what's in between come as you go.

That's how I do it- a hollow outline filled and reenforced with spontaneity.

Tim85
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tim85 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Jomei wrote:
King Caesar wrote:Hm...the biggest thing I've learned is to map out a story before you start writing. Otherwise, you'll end up three chapters deep and realize you ran into a dead end. If it's a looser story (like a series of events with some relevance), then make sure you have plenty f room to expand. Nothing sucks more than finding out you've dug a hole without bringing a ladder.

Dat is all.

They often teach you the opposite in creative writing classes. Not that either approach is inherently right or wrong, and pre-conceived plots may be more important in genre fiction, but sometimes "planned out" stories lack a sense of truth and honesty that stories which are allowed to develop freely contain.

Stories are about characters. Throw a character in a situation and see what happens. Don't force him from point A to point B--start him in situation A and see where he goes. Or at least don't wed yourself to a particular conclusion.

Sometimes it is okay to come to a conclusion early: like picking someone to win a fight: just make sure it's not one that you can see coming a mile away.

Kubo
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Kubo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:56 am

I would try and reach a midpoint. Definitely plan out a few core events/concepts/whatever, but let what's in between come as you go.

That's how I do it- a hollow outline filled and reenforced with spontaneity.

That's probably the best way to handle it. I'm going to try that with TKFA 4, which I already have a very loose outline of events I would like to see happen. Lol, you guys will looooove it so much more than 3, I promise.
Your friendly neighborhood tailor (definitely not a spy)
Next Episode Airs August 4th @ 10:00 pm EST in the Fan Fiction Forum
NEW EPISODE OUT NOW!
New Episode Every Saturday!
Thread

Twitter: @Dead_Ed_Lemmik
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

scarecrow
Yin-Yang Master

Postby scarecrow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:24 am

Dumb question really but uh I'm writing a fanfic and it involves a fan made Kaiju.Are fan made Kaijus allowed?My sis and I are working on a sketch on how this Kaiju would like so when I post my story I'll also put the link to pic of our creation along with it
https://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc= ... fid=8&_rdr

^If you like my fanfics, feel free to follow me on Facebook

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Giratina93 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:44 am

Why of course they are. Original Characters are quite common in most fanficts. Just be sure to flesh them out... otherwise, the result is... less than stellar.
You dare try to challenge me? Then we shall see how you fare against a true Archangel!

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

scarecrow
Yin-Yang Master

Postby scarecrow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:46 am

Flygon King wrote:Why of course they are. Original Characters are quite common in most fanficts. Just be sure to flesh them out... otherwise, the result is... less than stellar.

Thanks a bunch 8-) now I'ma continue on with the story without hesitation.
https://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsrc= ... fid=8&_rdr

^If you like my fanfics, feel free to follow me on Facebook

Tim85
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tim85 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:54 pm

If it weren't for my own character The Kaiju: my story could not exist. But yes, do at some point in the story provide some background. In my first story JLA: War of the Kaiju: I gave hints throughout the story and then revealed his origins at the end.

Tim85
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tim85 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:45 pm

SpanishBulldog63 wrote:
Tim85 wrote:If it weren't for my own character The Kaiju: my story could not exist. But yes, do at some point in the story provide some background. In my first story JLA: War of the Kaiju: I gave hints throughout the story and then revealed his origins at the end.

This is a part in my story where I'm gonna have bad writer's block: I'm debating whether to go into a flashback-style origin explanation or have natives explain the origin of the Draconis Spiritus Elementi.

This may sound like a cop out but here's what I did.
Early on, during an interaction with Wonder Woman: I bring up that he thinks that the reason he has feelings for her is because of her connection to his past but doesn't want to get hurt again. On her side; the connection to his past IS the reason she has feelings for him and I mention she thinks he looks like his grandfather.

Then in the end: when Kaiju is treating Diana and her mother to dinner: I explain his origin through them telling each other what they know: Hippolyta tells Tim about his grandfather on Themyscira and Tim tell her and Diana about what happened after he returned home. The next morning, over breakfast, he tells Wonder Woman the reason he felt uncomfortable trying to start a relationship because a bad break up is part of the reason he became the Kaiju.

I don't know if this helps but this is what I did. Feel free to dig up War of the Kaiju and read specifically Chapter 2 and the last two chapters and the Epilogue to get a feel for what I did.

But above all, pick the method that would fit your story.

Return to “Fan Fiction”