Gandalf Vs. Dumbledore

For the discussion of all fantasy matches, Toho or otherwise.

Gandalf Or Dumbledore?

The Grey Pilgrim
52%
The Headmaster
48%

Total votes : 23

Gandalf Vs. Dumbledore

Postby biomanzilla » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Gandalf The Grey
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Gandalf#Second_Appearance

Vs.

Albus Dumbledore
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Albus ... and_skills

Arena: The Scottish countryside.

Rules: No interference, Gandalf cannot call upon Shadowfax, Gandalf has Glamdring, Dumbledore has the Elder Wand, Gandalf cannot come back as Gandalf The White.

I choose Gandalf for this one. He's a lesser angel, and pretty much one of the most powerful beings in Middle Earth. He holds one of the 3 elven rings of power, and killed a Balrog (he died afterwards, but still). It would be a close fight, however. Dumbledore is one of the most powerful wizards of all time, and he wields the most powerful wand of all time. I still think Gandalf would be able to win in the end, though.
Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi, gwlad beirdd a chantorion , enwogion o fri, ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr ra mad, dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.
biomanzilla
Ronin

Re: Gandalf Vs. Dumbledore

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:30 pm

I'm voting Dumbledore. Because all Gandalf can really do apparently is force push.
Legionmaster wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:And Northern Appalachian "rednecks" are scarier than anything we have down here.

Like MonsterMaster! :P

Kaiju-King42
The Mighty Lambish

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Destoroyah

Postby Breakdown » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:07 pm

FINALLY a non-kaiju FM. We need more of these cause the FMs where starting to get stale.

Im going with Dumbledore. A friend of mine whos a hardcore LOTR buff tends to fanwank the hell out of Gandalf, so I dont know what's fact or what's fake. So yeah, Im gonna go with the one who I has actual feats.
Vatarian wrote:When the movie comes out on DVD,I'm going to frame a screenshot of his death-grimace and mount it on my wall next to the vial of tears I collected from a thousand angry Broni Friendzonis ranting about how Prime's an amoral psychopath and Bay violated their childhood like some sort of ancient Babylonian sex-demon.

"Are you insane!? We're gonna die!!"

Breakdown
The fastest thing on 4 wheels!

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Team: Stunticons
Favourite Kaiju: Baragon, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Godzilla, King Seesar

Postby Gawdziller » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:21 pm

This match would be easier to predict if we knew all the facts about the Elder Wand.

According to myth, the Elder Wand is supposed to never fail its master in battle, however it's alluded that this aspect might just be an exageration. The only times we've ever seen the wand actually switch loyalties was when it wasn't being used against someone else (when Grindlewald stole it, when Dumbledore allowed himself to disarmed, and when Harry disarmed Draco of his normal wand), and the Tale of the Three Brothers states the first brother was killed in his sleep.

What I want to know is how exactly Dumbledore disarmed Grindelwald, the previous owner. According to Rowling, Dumbledore and Grindelwald were lovers, which may have made Grindelwald hesitent, while allowing Dumbledore to take the upper hand. Or was it Dumbledore's own skill that overcame the Elder Wand? Sadly, details of the duel are limited, so only Rowling knows for sure.

If the Elder Wand truely cannot fail its master, Dumbledore is the clear winner. If it was just a glorified stick, the odds are more even. Though keep in mind Dumbledore did very much hold his own against the Elder Wand with a regular wand. That has to count for something, so I'd still side with Dumbledore.
TEAM (Gareth) EDWARD(s)!
Legion1979 wrote:Oh yes, thank you for linking to a page with nothing but Japanese text. That was so damn helpful.
Brody wrote:I don't approve of any kind of sex that involves male genitalia
gzilla46 wrote: I've come up with WAY worse ideas than this.

Gawdziller
Mmmmm...open faced club sandwich...

Geiger Counter

Team: (Gareth) Edward(s)
Favourite Kaiju: Your momma

Postby TechnoForce » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:17 pm

I think Gandalf might just have this. While he doesnt seem to have all the crazy flashy magics of dubmledore I just think that his whole being an angel type being would clinch it. I would assume his resistance to magic would be high enough to keep him safe from anything a mere mortal could muster. Like that shield that took the blow of the Balrogs. I mean the Balrog is not only really strong but magic as well.
Arena victories
Wins: 1
Losses: 0
Draws: 0

Watch this space
TechnoForce
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Huan_of_Valinor » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Gyaos wrote:Im going with Dumbledore. A friend of mine whos a hardcore LOTR buff tends to fanwank the hell out of Gandalf, so I dont know what's fact or what's fake. So yeah, Im gonna go with the one who I has actual feats.

what does your friend say about Gandalf? I'm a pretty big LotR buff myself i could proabably sperate the wheat from the chaff so to speak

also is this the Film Gandalf or is it the one from the books/expanded tolkien universe? I'm sorry i'm on my phone and the OP doesn't make it abundantly clear, and there is a difference.

Also @ the OP, the Elven Ring that Gandalf weilds will probably nt be a direct combat factor in this. None of the Three were designed to be used as weapons and are actually incapable of being used as such. The only ring that was forged with the direct intention of being used as a weapon was the One.
You're doomed if you do and you're doomed if you don't...
Unless you do both...

DrBreakfastMachine wrote: Final Wars should be Independence Day Matrix Terminator MMA Wars, because it's more of those things than it is a Godzilla movie.
Huan_of_Valinor
Interpol Agent

Postby Breakdown » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:08 pm

He said something along the lines of wiping out entire armies with some kind of shockwave. I dont remember the rest, but he makes it sound like Gandalf is an extremely powerful Sorcerer.
Vatarian wrote:When the movie comes out on DVD,I'm going to frame a screenshot of his death-grimace and mount it on my wall next to the vial of tears I collected from a thousand angry Broni Friendzonis ranting about how Prime's an amoral psychopath and Bay violated their childhood like some sort of ancient Babylonian sex-demon.

"Are you insane!? We're gonna die!!"

Breakdown
The fastest thing on 4 wheels!

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Team: Stunticons
Favourite Kaiju: Baragon, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Godzilla, King Seesar

Postby Huan_of_Valinor » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 am

Gyaos wrote:He said something along the lines of wiping out entire armies with some kind of shockwave. I dont remember the rest, but he makes it sound like Gandalf is an extremely powerful Sorcerer.

i would say that he got that from a video game, because i certainly don't remember that from any of the books lol

but he's right, Gandalf is an extremely powerful Sorcerer in the eyes of most of the inhabitants of Middle Earth, but since he's a devine being he's more than a bit above that, even as the Grey Pilgrim. However, while he's a Maiar Spirit and has a good deal of ''personal power'', when he was sent to contest Sauron he was limited by his form and by the Valar. Even in this form where his power was limited, he was a match for a Balrog and was able to hold off the Nine Riders on Weathertop at night (but only barely and he had to run afterwards).

I forgot where i was going with that -_-

also lol @ the force push comment. That's Peter Jackson's Gandalf, not Tolkiens
Unless you do both...

DrBreakfastMachine wrote: Final Wars should be Independence Day Matrix Terminator MMA Wars, because it's more of those things than it is a Godzilla movie.
Huan_of_Valinor
Interpol Agent

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 pm

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:
Gyaos wrote:
also lol @ the force push comment. That's Peter Jackson's Gandalf, not Tolkiens

Well I don't know which version of the two we're using. I just assumed movies.
Legionmaster wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:And Northern Appalachian "rednecks" are scarier than anything we have down here.

Like MonsterMaster! :P

Kaiju-King42
The Mighty Lambish

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Destoroyah

Postby GreenScar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:45 pm

I have to base my decision on the movie showings of each character. And from what I've seen, Dumbledore has the far superior feats. Don't get me wrong, Gandalf's take down of the Balrog was epic. But Dumbledore's has a potentially unlimited variety of spells to use. Great match!

Dumbledore 6/10
:g2k: End of line.......
GreenScar
Yin-Yang Master

Postby RedZillaKing » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:57 am

According to the film, Gandalf taked hits from the Balrog, its body's hellish heat, and a fall equalling the height of a mountain (or perhaps much higher). And what do the deathless care about death curses, anyway? Albus Dumbledore is a powerful human, but a human nonetheless.
KaijuAlertSystem wrote:So essentially what we learned from the interview is that Tamashii doesn't really give a shit about what their Western fans want to see unless it matches a similar scale of Japanese demand. It doesn't matter that its the US collectors who essentially keep the toyline alive and profitable, because "we make glorious Japan toy for Japanese who don't care" is the modus operandi of Tamashii. I wish I could say I was surprised.

RedZillaKing
Keizer

Geiger Counter

Postby Genoliger » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Shouldn't this be called the battle of the Father Time look-a-likes?
Genoliger
Ronin

Postby Feline-Owl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:18 pm

I don't really know much about Gandalf, except the movies, and I read all the Harry Potter books, so I don't know how accurate I can be with this.

but from what I've seen, I don't think Gandalf stands a chance. Dumbledore has apparition, to teleport instantly, and silently, something few wizards can do.

The Elder Wand does not make you win any battle, it's just an extremely powerful wand. Dumbledore vs Grindelwald(who was already the most powerful dark wizard at the time) meant that, even though the Dark Wizard had the most powerful wand in the world, Dumbledore was still a shade more better than him. Combine his already powerful abilities with the Elder Wand is just... i don't know, big big...

Gandalf is strong, but I noticed that he doesn't use his magic often in the movies. Either because of plot, or because if he does, he has to wait a while for his power to recharge, I don't know. I hope someone can explain this please.

Dumbledore can transfigure objects, manipulate elements, make himself invisible, and cast spells in an instant, without uttering them out loud.

Combine that with his already impressive dueling skills and extremely high intelligence, I don't think Gandalf stands a chance.

But I only know Movie Gandalf. And if he needs to chant to use magic, he won't last long. The wizards in Harry Potter fought so fast that their arm movements were a blur, shooting spells instantly at one another like swordsplay.

Gandalf hasn't displayed a lot of quick powerful spell works that I've seen.

But again, I haven't been able to read much of the LOTR books to see how powerful he can truly be. I read here he's a Divine being, but I have no idea if that helps him in anyway in combat. Does it give him access to more powerful spells, transforms him into an angel or something else?
Feline-Owl
Ronin

Postby The H-Man » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Feline-Owl wrote:Gandalf is strong, but I noticed that he doesn't use his magic often in the movies. Either because of plot, or because if he does, he has to wait a while for his power to recharge, I don't know. I hope someone can explain this please.

Gandalf, Saruman and the other three wizards were sent to Middle-Earth to rally resistance against Sauron. They went in the guise of old men and weren't supposed to show their power unless there was dire need.
The H-Man
Samurai

Postby Feline-Owl » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:21 pm

The H-Man wrote:
Feline-Owl wrote:Gandalf is strong, but I noticed that he doesn't use his magic often in the movies. Either because of plot, or because if he does, he has to wait a while for his power to recharge, I don't know. I hope someone can explain this please.

Gandalf, Saruman and the other three wizards were sent to Middle-Earth to rally resistance against Sauron. They went in the guise of old men and weren't supposed to show their power unless there was dire need.

so this means that we don't know Gandalf's true power? That makes this fight moot then, unless we have an inkling of what he can do 0.o
Feline-Owl
Ronin

Postby SoleMan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:31 pm

I think they'd just hook up, have a gay night on the town! 8-)
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.
SoleMan
JXSDF Technician

Postby Huan_of_Valinor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Feline-Owl wrote:
The H-Man wrote:

so this means that we don't know Gandalf's true power? That makes this fight moot then, unless we have an inkling of what he can do 0.o

well there's a big difference in the way that the respctive stories were written. in the Harry Potter universe you have magic spells and everything you listed. in the LotR universe "magic" is typically very subtle. there are words of command and such but no one waves wands around and shoots beams that do things.

good examples of magic in the tolkienverse... well there's a ton in the silmarillion but i'll name one or two from LotR.

the nazgul's black breath. gandalf's manipulation of fire. the effect of Black Speech on the enviornment (just speaking the ring rhyme near the One causes the sky to go dark). the power of the Three Rings (almost literally holding back time). Sauron's forging of the One Ring. Sauron pre-ring causing the mountians to the north of Mordor to raise out of the ground. the phail (?) of Galadriel.

the Palantir actually do not qualify as magical items according to the Elves: it falls under their definition of Art.

i've listed those mostly from memory, i haven't read the books for a while, i'll check and add or edit as needed lol
Unless you do both...

Huan_of_Valinor
Interpol Agent

Return to Fantasy Matches