Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Hotrod93
JXSDF Technician

Re: Official Super Smash Bros thread

Postby Hotrod93 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:40 pm

TitanoGoji16 wrote:
Gigan X3 wrote:No I meant, for a one slot, form changing character, to change between heavy, heavy and quick character, it's not very balanced.

So then mix the order up so it's Squirtle/Charizard/Ivysaur/Snorlax/Espeon/Lapras, something like that.

Legionmaster wrote:Other than the original Metroid (in which Kraid is tiny too), Ridley has ALWAYS been much larger than Samus.

The opening of Melee shows Samus fighting a Ridley that's the same size she is.

Keeping the Pokemon Trainer at only three pokemon leaves it open for a another Pokemon Trainer with new Pokes.

True about Ridley I rewatched the video and Ridleys only around 2 feet taller(With his neck fully erect), but that was more of a super deform form of Ridley even thought the intro bit was based off of Super Metroid. But even in Super Metroid Ridley was far much taller and with Zero mission remaking the first game we know he was even larger, but even if they did resize Ridley and make him playable people would skreeonk and complain about them resizing him and would never let it go.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Legionmaster
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Legionmaster » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:04 pm

I'd much rather have Dark Samus and Sylux anyway. Word.
bleep bloop

Hotrod93
JXSDF Technician

Postby Hotrod93 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Legionmaster wrote:I'd much rather have Dark Samus and Sylux anyway. Word.

Agreed, Keep Ridley as a Boss so they can keep him full size.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Gigan X3
EDF Soldier

Postby Gigan X3 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:38 pm

TitanoGoji16 wrote:So then mix the order up so it's Squirtle/Charizard/Ivysaur/Snorlax/Espeon/Lapras, something like that.

Cycling between the 3 pokemon already took too much time, 3 PKMN per trainer is good enough.

And one PKMN trainer is more than enough for me, there's already more PKMN characters than any other series.
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?

He was going to kill the T1000 with SEXINESS

Zilla103192
Keizer

Postby Zilla103192 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:53 pm

agreed.

give othr franchises a chance...

why not let birdo be playable?
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

hammysammy59
Interpol Agent

Postby hammysammy59 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:30 pm

If we're going to get more playable Metroid characters, I SUPER don't want them to be Samus clones. Brawl has clones a-plenty as-is. Have normal Ridley be a (large) playable character, keep Meta-Ridley as a humongo boss character. Works for Bowser and Giga Bowser.
Haters gonna hate

Legionmaster
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Legionmaster » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:20 pm

zilla103192 wrote:agreed.

Right...so giving "other" franchises a chance means making MORE Mario characters?
bleep bloop

Gigan X3
EDF Soldier

Postby Gigan X3 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:29 pm

I was thinking on Fire Emblem, Star Fox, F-ZERO, Metroid and Mother.
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?

mecha-gino
EDF Soldier

Postby mecha-gino » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:44 pm

We need more characters from the series involving the man in the purple suit WITH GOLDEN NIPPLES OF JUSTICE!!!

And some others wouldn't be bad either. More metroid would be nice, if they can work dark samus so she wouldn't be a clone, I'd be all over that!
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

Gigan X3
EDF Soldier

Postby Gigan X3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 am

mecha-gino wrote:We need more characters from the series involving the man in the purple suit WITH GOLDEN NIPPLES OF JUSTICE!!!

That's super special Awesome!
Chris55 wrote:

hammysammy59
Interpol Agent

Postby hammysammy59 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:12 am

Gigan X3 wrote:

I was thinking on Fire Emblem, Star Fox, F-ZERO, Metroid and Mother.

Fire Emblem maybe, Star Fox no, F-Zero and Metroid YES please and Mother not so much.

Why?

Fire Emblem has a decent following in the west now, but 2 characters I'd say is pretty good recognition for what's more of a niche series for Nintendo.

Star Fox already has three characters. I LOVE Star Fox and Star Fox 64, but three is enough, especially since two of them are clones.

F-Zero needs a little more love (how about a Wii F-Zero for god's sake?). Playable Samurai Goroh was something I was hoping/expecting in Brawl. We know how I feel about playable Ridley for more Metroid representation.

Mother is sadly dead in the West, and I think the series is pretty much done for even in its homeland. The most recent entry was a Japan-only GBA game, after all. I think the fact that we even got Ness in the first two SSBs was a pretty generous move by Sakurai and co.

I think how iconic a character is to a series is/should be a big factor to whether or not a character gets playability status (one of the major reasons I want playable Ridley instead of Dark Samus, etc.). As an example, Birdo has yet to star in his/her/its own game, so I feel like that character is better suited as a low-level enemy or trophy. Likewise, the bigger the franchise, the more characters it gets/"deserves." Hence why we have a handful of playable Mario characters and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land has yet to be playable.

I'd also like to see:
-Playable Tingle (be a great joke character, and would expand the Zelda roster)
-Playable Ridley
-An Advance Wars character
-Playable Little Mac
-Medusa or Palutena or Eggplant Wizard (somebody from Kid Icarus, depending on how good/well-received the 3DS game is)
-Playable Mach Rider (kind of a "return-from-NES-limbo" character ala the Ice Climbers, ROB and Mr. Game and Watch. His gritty post-apocalyptic motif would be pretty fresh for the series, and make him a fun companion for other futuristic Nintendo characters like Samus and Captain Falcon)
Haters gonna hate

Legionmaster
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Legionmaster » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:43 am

If we get playable Little Mac and Eggplant Wizard, we need King Hippo. And then Megaman and Simon Belmont as 3rd party characters. Oh, and might as well toss a playable Mother Brain. And then, and only then, can we get playable Captain N. :P
bleep bloop

hammysammy59
Interpol Agent

Postby hammysammy59 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 am

Hahaha, gross. As long as they look and act like the real/video game versions of themselves (Mega Man is BLUE, not green you idiots!), I'm 100% down with everyone you just listed... except Captain N. He is an abortion.
Haters gonna hate

Gigan X3
EDF Soldier

Postby Gigan X3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 am

Tingle is hated on the West, so much that he won't be appearing in future console/big Zelda games, and hasn't appeared since Wind Waker, he's still appearing in the portable games though. So Playable Tingle is kinda tough, I'd rather see Vaati or Skull Kid.

Advance Wars SOOOO needs to be represented with playable characters.

By the way, Falco is no longer a Fox clone at all.
Chris55 wrote:

vaporchu
Yin-Yang Master

Postby vaporchu » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:54 am

And Wolf is even less of a clone. :/

I still feel that we should either get playable Ridley or no more Metroid characters. The only other iconic characters are what? The titular Metroid? Mother Brain? Dark Samus? The former two wouldn't make for a great playable character at all, and the later would most likely end up being a clone(even though a unique moveset is entirely possible). Ridley on the other hand would bring something fresh to the table, while still being a recognizable character. I don't care if they have to shrink him, I mean, they done the same to Bowser.

I think we should also get another F Zero character. I was expecting someone to be playable in Brawl besides the Captain.

mecha-gino
EDF Soldier

Postby mecha-gino » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Gigan X3 wrote:
mecha-gino wrote:We need more characters from the series involving the man in the purple suit WITH GOLDEN NIPPLES OF JUSTICE!!!

That's super special Awesome!

Wait a minute how can the GOLDEN NIPPLES OF JUSTICE be both Super and special in the category of awesome? Infact how can Awesome be both special and awesome!?
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

hammysammy59
Interpol Agent

Postby hammysammy59 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Gigan X3 wrote:By the way, Falco is no longer a Fox clone at all.

I'd say that's debatable. Yeah their movesets aren't EXACTLY the same, but they still have the same basic set-up with some tweaks. However you want to look at it, we have three of almost the same character, I don't think we need 4+.

vaporchu wrote:I still feel that we should either get playable Ridley or no more Metroid characters. The only other iconic characters are what? The titular Metroid? Mother Brain? Dark Samus? The former two wouldn't make for a great playable character at all.

Mother Brain cannot work as a playable character in Smash Bros. It WOULD however, make for a freaking fantastic stage/boss fight. YES PLEASE. I slapped together an okay-ish facsimile in the stage editor, it's pretty cool. (Also thank you for supporting Ridley! :D )

Hellspawn28 wrote:What about the characters from Metroid Prime Hunters for the next game?

With them having only one appearance in a (non Smash Bros.) game, I'd definitely log them in the "not iconic enough" category. They're perfect for trophies and assist trophies though!

The no-more Tingle news sads me out. Yeah he's weird and awful... but it was kind of hilarious and endearing in a weird way. The disconnect between East and West is super interesting here: he was reviled over here, but had such a following in Japan he had his own comical adventure game for GBA. I still think he'd make a hella fun character, and would be some nice comic relief. Creepy, terrible comic relief. If you thought getting beat by Jigglypuff was embarrassing....

Speaking of Jigglypuff, does anyone give a poop anymore? I mean is it just here for nostalgia now? That always seemed like such a strange choice. I take it Jigglpuff is huge in Japan?
Haters gonna hate

Gigan X3
EDF Soldier

Postby Gigan X3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:39 pm

hammysammy59 wrote:I'd say that's debatable. Yeah their movesets aren't EXACTLY the same, but they still have the same basic set-up with some tweaks. However you want to look at it, we have three of almost the same character, I don't think we need 4+.

Wait what? Wolf a 3rd Clone? There's NOTHING in him that is ripped from Fox, the only things they KIND OF share work waaaay differently, just as different as Mario,Kirby and Samus sharing the same forward Kick.

Wolf's playstyle is nothing close to Fox's and much less Falco's, Wolf's reflector can even be used as a counter, Fox's uses it as part of his combos, Falco barely shares moves with Fox, let's see:

Down A
Forward A
Back Air ( Lasts longer, Is not as good at killing as Fox's )
Up Air ( Only one hit, not used for killing )
Down Air ( Only One Hit, Is a Meteor )
Dash Attack
Laser ( Stuns, much slower )
Fire Bird ( This one regardless of the differences, work pretty much the same on both characters, recovery move only )
Phantom ( Much more combo friendly )
Up Smash ( Pretty much the same only it doesn't kill )
Down Smash ( Less Knockback as well )

That's more or less as Sonic shares moves with everyone.

Wolf is EVEN more different, only shares 2 moves if anything.
Chris55 wrote:

Legionmaster
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Legionmaster » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:08 pm

hammysammy59 wrote:I take it Jigglpuff is huge in Japan?

Basically only second to Pikachu.
bleep bloop

Bret
G-Grasper

Postby Bret » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:31 pm

The man behind Nintendo's insanely popular fighting game series, Super Smash Bros., worked tirelessly to give fans their GameCube sequel to the Nintendo 64 original. He calls the making of that game "grueling" and part of a "really destructive lifestyle."

Masahiro Sakurai, the game designer of Super Smash Bros. and its two sequels, writes in a new magazine column about the hardships of development of the GameCube entry, Super Smash Bros. Melee. He also says we'll likely never see a Smash Bros. game that "hardcore"-leaning again.

"On a personal level, Melee had an extremely grueling development cycle," Sakurai wrote in a new Famitsu column, translated by 1UP. "I worked on that game for 13 months straight, after all, without a single Sunday or holiday off that whole time. During parts of it, I was living a really destructive lifestyle — I'd work for over 40 hours in a row, then go back home to sleep for four."

Sakurai says he considers Melee to be the "sharpest" of the Smash Bros. games, but one that was "just too difficult." More from the game designer at 1UP.

http://kotaku.com/5709421/smash-bros-cr ... 8Kotaku%29

Bet Gigan will be raging about that.
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

Return to “Video Game Hub”