Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
User avatar
JAGzilla
Keizer
Posts: 7009
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:22 am

Attention all Pokemon fans! I need some advice. I'm getting my younger brother and sister a Switch for Christmas. We've never had a Nintendo console, so my knowledge of its franchises is pretty much non-existent. Which Switch Pokemon games, if any, are both good starting points for beginners and just generally good?

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14397
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:02 am

JAGzilla wrote:Attention all Pokemon fans! I need some advice. I'm getting my younger brother and sister a Switch for Christmas. We've never had a Nintendo console, so my knowledge of its franchises is pretty much non-existent. Which Switch Pokemon games, if any, are both good starting points for beginners and just generally good?


You really don't have many options for Switch Pokemon games. Just Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Sword/Shield. Of the two (four?) choices, I'd go with the latter.
Image

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2318
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Postby Smuggers » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:41 pm

I really hope the next games are better because despite the console jump these games ended up being what I was afraid they'd be, the latest in a long line of disappointments that's started after 2013. If the next games are exactly the same deal then I'll probably just mess around with the new Pokémon on Showdown or something.

In fact, despite the generational jump and sacrifices that were made, some aspects of the game are the worst they've ever been. The postgame especially seems like some kind of psyop to drive people insane, I have no idea how you're meant to find the Pokémon you want in Max Raids without abusing date-changing exploits. It's genuinely either unfinished or intentionally grindy beyond any sense of reason.
Last edited by Smuggers on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Online
User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6881
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Smuggers wrote:I really hope the next games are better because despite the console jump these games ended up being what I was afraid they'd be, the latest in a long line of disappointments that's started after 2013. If the next games are exactly the same deal then I'll probably just mess around with the new Pokémon on Showdown or something.

In fact, despite the generational jump and sacrifices that were made, some aspects of the game are the worst they've ever been. The postgame especially seems like some kind of psyop to drive people insane, I have no idea how you're meant to find the Pokémon you want in Max Raids without abusing date-changing exploits. It's genuinely either unfinished or intentionally grindy beyond any sense of reason.

I got the impression it was intended as a "check back everyday" to see what you can catch, and meant to segue the game into a "30 mins a day" that works well over a long period.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2318
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Postby Smuggers » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:58 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I got the impression it was intended as a "check back everyday" to see what you can catch, and meant to segue the game into a "30 mins a day" that works well over a long period.

That'd make sense were it not for just how damn low the likelyhood of finding certain Pokémon is. When the only way to get a certain Pokémon with a Hidden Ability is to hope that one of two specific raid dens is active with a purple beam, then hope that the Pokémon with a 5% chance to appear is there, *then* hope that it happened to roll its Hidden Ability... You'll get bored of checking in every day long before that happens. Even if you try to spam Wishing Pieces you could potentially be spending upwards of 30,000 Watts per purple beam, it just doesn't check out. A friend of mine was looking for a Gigantamax Grimmsnarl by using the date changing exploit, by the time one actually showed up the date on their Switch was almost at the end of March. They dragged it out waaaay too much and it's totally at ends with their philosophy of making everything accessible and not a huge time sink. It's frustrating because this is the flagship endgame activity and it could've easily been tweaked with the addition of more Wishing Pieces that do more specific things so players can have more control over what's showing up in their game but it seems like they were satisfied with the bare minimum. This is also without taking into account that the actual gameplay of Max Raids is a bit of a snoozefest and the game actively punishes you for joining up with other players by giving everyone shitty catch rates. Speaking of online, I really wish they'd go back to the PSS used in X and Y, they got online interaction so right on their first try and the newest iteration is, again, the worst it's ever been.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Online
User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6881
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:25 am

I agree with what was said above^^^

That being said, what happened today was pretty cool. Instead of getting a third version to shell out another 60$ for, we are getting 30$ dlc. Some of the new stuff looks pretty neat, and my boy slowpoke gets a new form.

Additionally, 200 old Pokémon will be patched back into the game, free, separate from the purchase.

All in all a big win for everyone I suppose.

Added in 3 days 5 hours 40 minutes 56 seconds:
Does anyone have a spare Gmax Snorlax? Or Darumaka? I have spare Gmax Pokémon.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.


Return to “Video Game Hub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest