Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by MysticalDL »

I officially hate Amity Square in pokemon platinum.

They say your only allowed to have 'cute' pokemon walk around with you, BUT they don't allow my Eevee to walk with me. Instead they asked if I wanted Monferno to walk with me instead.
WTF!!??

Monferno is ugly as well I won't say. lol
Eevee on other hand is very cute & adorable.

Added in 23 hours 57 minutes 22 seconds:
I need suggestions on which path I should evolve Eevee in Platinum.

My current team is

Gyarados - lvl 27
Luxio - lvl 27
Monferno - lvl 28
Staravia - lvl 27
Eevee - lvl 26
HM Slave Bibarel

I have Fire, Thunder, & Water stones. I also have access to the mossy rock.
So should I evolve Eevee into Leafeon or Umbreon or Espeon or Glaceon or a different evolution?
I have a level 22 Scyther with Technician & Jolly nature in PC for sixth team member later on.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

MysticalDL wrote:I officially hate Amity Square in pokemon platinum.

They say your only allowed to have 'cute' pokemon walk around with you, BUT they don't allow my Eevee to walk with me. Instead they asked if I wanted Monferno to walk with me instead.
WTF!!??

Monferno is ugly as well I won't say. lol
Eevee on other hand is very cute & adorable.

Added in 23 hours 57 minutes 22 seconds:
I need suggestions on which path I should evolve Eevee in Platinum.

My current team is

Gyarados - lvl 27
Luxio - lvl 27
Monferno - lvl 28
Staravia - lvl 27
Eevee - lvl 26
HM Slave Bibarel

I have Fire, Thunder, & Water stones. I also have access to the mossy rock.
So should I evolve Eevee into Leafeon or Umbreon or Espeon or Glaceon or a different evolution?
I have a level 22 Scyther with Technician & Jolly nature in PC for sixth team member later on.
I would recommend that you roll with either Jolteon or Espeon. Both are pretty beast special attackers with a good amount of speed. Looking at Espeon's learnset, you can teach it Shadow Ball and Calm Mind through TMs and Psychic at Level 64. Jolteon is really good with Thunderbolt and I have heard that people like to give it Toxic. Jolteon will probably be an upgrade to your Luxio/Luxray in terms of offensive presence. Grass types are not my favorite and you will have to roll with Razor Leaf until Level 71, when it learns Leaf Blade. I never used Umbreon, but it seems like a decent tank, especialy in contrast to the several attackers you already have on your team. Glaceon seems good, but you have to wait until after the sixth gym to start heading to Snowpoint City.

On a different note, I have decided to get rid of my Dirfblim in favor of Froslass. I have not been too happy with Drifblim's ability to take hits and weakness to electric. I already have an Empoleon and Staraptor with electric weaknesses, so I felt that it was a glaring weakness. I completely forgot that Froslass could be captured in game. I overlooked her over my inability to get Mismagius and having Drifblim as my "only" option for a fully evolved ghost type. When looking at my team online, it seems like Froslass is a better fit more my team and helps make my team less vulnerable. What do you guys recommend for running a Froslass? I heard that she is great for Spikes, but I think that is only accessible via breeding. I am up to Snowpoint City and this is my current team:

Empoleon (Level 42)
Gallade (Level 40)
Rampardos (Level 42)
Froslass (Level 33)
Staraptor (Level 42)
Garchomp (Level 48)

I want to see if I can level up my Garchomp to 60 or so for the Pokemon League. I want to see it fight head on with Cynthia's Garchomp.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

Luxio/Luxray so far has been my team MVP along with Gyarados. I'll look into Espeon, since that'll keep my team from sharing to many shared weaknesses.

Garchomp covers your electric weakness, your biggest concern should be your Fire weakness. As Froslass & Empoleon are weak to Fire, maybe try Scizor if you can trade with a friend over Froslass. Or Scizor over Rampardos, as Scizor would become a lot more helpful in the end.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

I am pretty sure that Empoleon has neutrality to fire thanks to his water typing. Rampardos and Garchomp especially are my counters to fire. As much as I would love to own a Scizor (or any trade Pokemon in general), it cannot be done because I play on my phone. I do not know if my emulator supports cheat codes, but even if they did, they may limit the number of characters you can insert unless you pay for the app.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Yes, Empoleon is neutral to fire. and yes, Espeon is probably the best of those eeveelutions, if you don't want to use a free Surfer or something to replace Luxio with.

As for Frosslass, she works best with a wide range of moves at her disposal. Mine in OR ran Shadow Ball, Blizzard, Thunderbolt, and Psychic. Just beware that she works best when preying on quad weaknesses, since otherwise you WILL get annoyed when she goes first, hits something... and fails to kill, only to die herself.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Giratina93 wrote:Yes, Empoleon is neutral to fire. and yes, Espeon is probably the best of those eeveelutions, if you don't want to use a free Surfer or something to replace Luxio with.

As for Frosslass, she works best with a wide range of moves at her disposal. Mine in OR ran Shadow Ball, Blizzard, Thunderbolt, and Psychic. Just beware that she works best when preying on quad weaknesses, since otherwise you WILL get annoyed when she goes first, hits something... and fails to kill, only to die herself.
Agreed. It does not seem like Froslass is a strong sweeper when looking at her stats. I am probably going to try to invest in her special attack with calcium. She already has a Rash nature, so I guess her special attack will be better than average down the line.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:
Giratina93 wrote:Yes, Empoleon is neutral to fire. and yes, Espeon is probably the best of those eeveelutions, if you don't want to use a free Surfer or something to replace Luxio with.

Agreed. It does not seem like Froslass is a strong sweeper when looking at her stats. I am probably going to try to invest in her special attack with calcium. She already has a Rash nature, so I guess her special attack will be better than average down the line.
Your best bet is to do both that and invest in speed, so she can outspeed and prey on foes with either weaknesses to her moves, like Gliscor, Gyarados (Thunderbolt), and Garchomp, or low special defense plus a weakness to her moves. If you have a hunch something can take an Ice Beam or two, then don't even bother, since she won't be living any strong hits.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

Your TBolt on Gliscor isn't a good example, considering immunity. :P

Though trying to outspeed & prey upon enemy weakness is a perfect idea for Froslass. Just make your positive that Froslass can one shot it's target, or you'll end up with a dead Froslass. I doubt Froslass can one shot Cythia's Garchomp though, as it's a damn sturdy tank.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

The T-bolt was for Gyarados, Mystical. You know perfectly well what I mean :P

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

Giratina93 wrote:The T-bolt was for Gyarados, Mystical. You know perfectly well what I mean :P
Sure it was Gira, sure it was. :P

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

100 SpA Froslass Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 180-216 (80 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (This is assuming you have 100 EV's on special attack, as well as a lv. 50 Frosslass against Cynthia's lv. 62 Garchomp)

Well, you can always go with Blizzard for guaranteed die :P

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

Those stats are for 0/0 HP/SpD, but isn't Cythia's Garchomp 252HP & 252SpD?

Meaning that even with a perfect IV in SpA and 252 EV's in SpA for Froslass would only at best 2HKO Cythia's Garchomp, but fail to OHKO with Blizzard.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

I definitely see what you guys mean. Froslass really cannot take many hits. I figured that I teach her Ice Claw over Ice Fang because of priority, but it hits too softly. Shadow Ball is her best move by far at the moment and she also has access to Crunch and Hail. I am probably going to get rid of Hail because it does not fit with the rest of my team (same with Garchomp's Sandstorm). I am probably going to consider the following as her final moveset:

Ice Beam (If I can afford it)
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Thunderbolt

As you guys said, I will use her for a straight-up special attacker. Destiny Bond seems like an interesting option for Froslass. She cannot take hits so it does not seem right to give her stat enhancing moves. I would love to give her spikes, but I do not have the patience to breed another one (plus I used the second Dawn Stone on her). I could perhaps give another of my Pokemon another entry hazard such as Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:I definitely see what you guys mean. Froslass really cannot take many hits. I figured that I teach her Ice Claw over Ice Fang because of priority, but it hits too softly. Shadow Ball is her best move by far at the moment and she also has access to Crunch and Hail. I am probably going to get rid of Hail because it does not fit with the rest of my team (same with Garchomp's Sandstorm). I am probably going to consider the following as her final moveset:

Ice Beam (If I can afford it)
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Thunderbolt

As you guys said, I will use her for a straight-up special attacker. Destiny Bond seems like an interesting option for Froslass. She cannot take hits so it does not seem right to give her stat enhancing moves. I would love to give her spikes, but I do not have the patience to breed another one (plus I used the second Dawn Stone on her). I could perhaps give another of my Pokemon another entry hazard such as Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes.
Game Corner in Veilstone makes it easy to obtain, it's just a slow & boring process. Took me around 5 hours to obtain 60,000 coins that I needed, to obtain all necessary TM's.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Finally beat the eighth gym leader and heading to Victory Road. My team is starting to come around and they should be ready after a few more moves. This is the state of my team:

Empoleon (Level 50):

Surf: the primary STAB move
Grass Knot: to give Empoleon an edge over other water Pokemon
Flash Cannon: to take care of ice types
Blizzard: Hard-hitting option for dragons

Flash Cannon might be on its way out. Its only purpose is to get rid of ice types, which I can already do with my Rampardos, Staraptor, and Gallade. Stealth Rock may be put in place.

Rampardos (Level 50):

Rock Tomb: Works much better than I expected, but a stronger STAB move would be better. Rock Slide, Stone Edge, or Head Smash are all options. I do have to decide between Rampardos and Garchomp which one gets Rock Slide or Stone Edge.
Take Down: I hate this move with a passion. I need this gone and put Fire Punch in its place.
Zen Headbutt: Good move to get rid of fighting types
Pursuit: It has lost its usefulness. I am thinking about Rock Polish or Return in this spot.

Gallade (Level 50):

Drain Punch: I have Big Root on Gallade, so he can gets more HP from the move than usual. Helps out because of Gallade's low defense and average HP. Might use Close Combat instead, but I do not like its side effect.
Psycho Cut: the primary STAB
Night Slash: Helps give Gallade an edge over Psychic and Ghost types.
Leaf Blade: One of the three moves my party has to counter water Pokemon,

Staraptor (Level 50):

Brave Bird: Really strong STAB
Return: Same as Brave Bird
Close Combat: The counter for rock and steel types.
Agility: temporary move that I am going to try to get rid of. Any ideas?

Froslass (Level 50):

Shadow Ball: Main STAB
Ice Beam: Another good STAB
Thunder: I will get Thunderbolt eventually, but this move is necessary for taking out Pokemon like Gyarados.
Psychic: To make fighting Pokemon pay for switching in.

Garchomp (Level 52):

Earthquake: The best move he has.
Dragon Claw: I might want to have a stronger STAB move in place of this. I have to test it out more.
Crunch: great move
Slash: This move will be gone soon in place of either Stone Edge or Rock Slide.

Any other suggestions you guys have for my team? I am looking forward to pulverizing the Pokemon League. Gonna try to get everyone to at least Level 55 beforehand. I might level up Garchomp to 60.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Give Rampardos Stone Edge. He needs all the firepower he can get so he can OHKO foes, and not die instantly. Garchomp's got enough bulk to afford the weaker but more accurate Rock Slide.

Also, Garchomp ain't getting Outrage as a tutor until post-game, and Dragon Rush is FAR too inaccurate to use as your STAB. As for Staraptor, either U-turn or use that slot or Flying, since STaraptor only really needs those other 3 moves to work.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

I'm heading into 7th gym in platinum with following team. I didn't farm for coins at game corner this time, so I have none of those TM's.

Infernape lvl 39
Taunt
Mach Punch
Close Combat
Flame Wheel

Gyarados lvl 38
Bite
Ice Fang
Brine (Will replace with D Dance)
Aqua Tail

Staraptor lvl 39
Whirlwind
Roost
Close Combat
Return

Luxray lvl 37
Bite
Thunder Fang
Return
Swagger

Snover lvl 37
Icy Wind
Ice Shard
Wood Hammer
Swagger

Scizor lvl 38 - Technician.
Quick Attack
Pursuit
Metal Claw
Roost

I'll end up later coin farming for U-Turn, and searching for a move rememberer to hopefully learn Scizor Bullet Punch. Until then I'm using Metal Claw & Quick Attack.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Good looking team. I like that you managed to fit in moves like Swagger, Roost, and Taunt into your movesets unlike my all-attack team. Can you fit a ground move like Earthquake onto one of your Pokemon like Gyarados? I think a ground move would help your team's coverage towards electric. Looks like Scizor will learn X-Scissor at Level 41 and Iron Head at 53. Heck, Scizor even learns Swords Dance at 57. You could potentially use Scizor as a hard hitter, but your moveset is good too. It will help Scizor live longer.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

I'm considering EQuake on possibly Infernape or Gyarados, possibly Infernape. Unsure if Gyarados can use Rock Slide or Stone Edge though. If he can then it'll replace Bite, while D Dance replaces Brine.

With Technician ability I want all my moves to have a power of 60 or less, since technician will give a 1.5 power boost to those moves.
Meaning as examples
Quick Attack or Bullet Punch would jump from 40 power to 60.
Metal Claw from 50 to 75.
etc.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

I prefer going with AoA teams, unless it's a Pokemon that either lacks enough coverage or power for it (Zebstrika), or really loves a good setup move (Gyarados, Haxorus).

Speaking of which, playing through Black right now. Just beat Brycen, and going to the 8th gym leader. Some of these mons still have HM's on them, but once I reach the Elite 4, those will be replaced with better moves and coverage.

lv. 38 Serperior (Coil, Leaf Blade, Leech Seed, Return)
lv. 38 Krokorok (Crunch, Rock Slide, Dig, Bulldoze)
lv. 38 Sawk (Brick Break, Counter, Rock Slide, Strength)
lv. 38 Sigilyph(Psybeam, Air Cutter, Shadow Ball, Charge Beam)
lv. 38 Simipour (Scald, Surf, Blizzard, Grass Knot)
lv. 38 Zebstrika (Discharge, Stomp, T-wave, Flame Charge)