Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by Fish Cakes »

_JNavs_ wrote:Your hatred for people who have different interests than you is staggeringly high.
You're 23. Chill out lol.
Seethe harder, cringelord.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: You know, as an adult fan, who has been a fan since I was 4 or 5, I don't get why adults, or really children, pretending to be adults, want a more "mature pokemon". It's a children's franchise. Get over it. The anime is made for children in Japan, and around the world. It isn't made for edgy 16 year olds who think that being mature equates to violence and death.
Your hatred for people who have different interests than you is staggeringly high.
No, I'm pointing out that it's unreasonable for a franchise made for children to suddenly become adult, and pointing out your standards on what is or is not considered mature are warped.

And also, your comments, come off as the type of person who wants to complain about something which you haven't even watched. The Sun and Moon anime, just like the XY anime, while made for children, still has some dark moments, and character development for everyone involved.
Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and the first half of Sinnoh were my preference. Yes i grew up on them as well, even rented the movies from the local library as a kid.

Just feel like there's a whole audience out there for something a bit more mature.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

When are we getting an aged adult's perspective on Curious George?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Fish Cakes wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Your hatred for people who have different interests than you is staggeringly high.
What lol? You may teeter on that line a bit closer than I.

Added in 36 seconds:
Smuggers wrote:When are we getting an aged adult's perspective on Curious George?
So you're saying it wouldn't be interesting to get something with a bit more substance for an older audience?

Added in 5 minutes 17 seconds:
Look at the Power Rangers Multiverse event, where they went and killed tons of rangers and universes, with Tommy as Head Hunter.

It'd be cool to see something similar with a smaller scope.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:
What lol? You may teeter on that line a bit closer than I.

Added in 36 seconds:
Smuggers wrote:When are we getting an aged adult's perspective on Curious George?
So you're saying it wouldn't be interesting to get something with a bit more substance for an older audience?

Added in 5 minutes 17 seconds:
Look at the Power Rangers Multiverse event, where they went and killed tons of rangers and universes, with Tommy as Head Hunter.

:lol:

You just summed up my point. Killing characters doesn't equal mature lol.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote: So you're saying it wouldn't be interesting to get something with a bit more substance for an older audience?
An older person can still enjoy it, but they have to be aware that the property is family friendly brand and not expect anything more than that. It's okay to just have your one market and to own it very well, that's why different properties exist in the first place; not everything needs to be continuously reinvented or reinterpreted. I see it on the same level as "Dude they should make an M-rated Mario game". I honestly don't think it would be that compelling.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Look at the Power Rangers Multiverse event, where they went and killed tons of rangers and universes, with Tommy as Head Hunter.

:lol:

You just summed up my point. Killing characters doesn't equal mature lol.
Except the story surrounding the deaths was certainly a bit more substantial than the sunday morning episodes often put out by the series.

Added in 3 minutes 44 seconds:
Smuggers wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: So you're saying it wouldn't be interesting to get something with a bit more substance for an older audience?
An older person can still enjoy it, but they have to be aware that the property is family friendly brand and not expect anything more than that. It's okay to just have your one market and to own it very well, that's why different properties exist in the first place; not everything needs to be continuously reinvented or reinterpreted. I see it on the same level as "Dude they should make an M-rated Mario game". I honestly don't think it would be that compelling.
I mean you're right, something like Mickey Mouse or Mario, etc. would never be suitable for something like that.

It's okay to dominate a singular market, but i think if the story, or world, could be expanded into other demographics, it'd be beneficial for everyone involved.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I honestly think people wouldn't mind a series similar to the Generations clip I posted. Not that there's anything wrong with the current ongoing series.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Smuggers wrote:
It's funny because a lot of Pokemon games are overtly and very subtly dark. It's clear that Jnavs hasn't played the games in years, and even the ones he has played are , by his standards, dark. And that doesn't mean they're good games. I actually agree an issue with modern games is how excessive they have gotten with some ridiculous stuff.

In Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, Team Galactic use a bomb to blow up a lake, in order to capture lake spirits. They proceed to use it, to summon Dialgia/Palkia/Giratina, because the leader is mentally unstable. Cyrus in Platinum, gets comeuppance by seemingly being killed/forced to live in the Disorted World, a bizarre purgatory. That isn't even speaking to all the other creepy stuff in the game.

In XY, it's shown that there used to be a big pokemon war, and many Pokemon died. The King, used a giant weapon, to eradicate most pokemon in Kalos, leading to the formation of MegaStones, as the spirits of pokemon are now trapped inside. Lysandre, another mentally unstable ego maniac, wants to destroy the world.

Sun and Moon and USUM has an alien invasion, a future where the world is completely destroyed by pollution and Guzzlord, a woman that freezes pokemon and abandons her family to live in an alien dimension...

You can say these stories are bad, or dramatic, but they're exactly what JNavs wants.

Added in 38 seconds:
Dracosaurian wrote:I honestly think people wouldn't mind a series similar to the Generations clip I posted. Not that there's anything wrong with the current ongoing series.
Generations worked well, as a short series. Wouldn't mind seeing more shorts. But they can only really work as shorts (I mean I hope they prove me wrong). The major underlying flaw with Pokemon, is that the games are incredibly by design, episodic. Most of the games have a structure of badge to badge, with story segments sprinkled in between.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
It's funny because a lot of Pokemon games are overtly and very subtly dark. It's clear that Jnavs hasn't played the games in years, and even the ones he has played are , by his standards, dark. And that doesn't mean they're good games. I actually agree an issue with modern games is how excessive they have gotten with some ridiculous stuff.

In Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, Team Galactic use a bomb to blow up a lake, in order to capture lake spirits. They proceed to use it, to summon Dialgia/Palkia/Giratina, because the leader is mentally unstable. Cyrus in Platinum, gets comeuppance by seemingly being killed/forced to live in the Disorted World, a bizarre purgatory. That isn't even speaking to all the other creepy stuff in the game.

In XY, it's shown that there used to be a big pokemon war, and many Pokemon died. The King, used a giant weapon, to eradicate most pokemon in Kalos, leading to the formation of MegaStones, as the spirits of pokemon are now trapped inside. Lysandre, another mentally unstable ego maniac, wants to destroy the world.

Sun and Moon and USUM has an alien invasion, a future where the world is completely destroyed by pollution and Guzzlord, a woman that freezes pokemon and abandons her family to live in an alien dimension...

You can say these stories are bad, or dramatic, but they're exactly what JNavs wants..
Yeah, I personally enjoyed that Sinnoh plot.

As far as subtlety, I reference a page back that there is certainly death, spirits and the likes within the Pokemon world (Cubone wears his mothers skull, like it doesn't get more metal than that), I'd just like to see more of it expanded visually. Like don't fret to push the boundaries. The games I felt were dark? Emerald, FireRed, Soul Silver, Platinum.

Just because of the underlying things that as a kid you would never understand, but as you get older you're like ahhhh I get it now.

I think in Laymen's terms, what I'm trying to say is I just want a Pokemon series that feels like an actual anime. For example, just because it's a similar idea, Naruto. First couple of seasons he was like Ash, a go-getter, hot headed kid with a great heart. But as the series evolved, we watched him and his crew grow, their missions increasingly grew more sophisticated, darker, "edgier" and wiser.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote:Just because of the underlying things that as a kid you would never understand, but as you get older you're like ahhhh I get it now.

I think in Laymen's terms, what I'm trying to say is I just want a Pokemon series that feels like an actual anime. For example, just because it's a similar idea, Naruto. First couple of seasons he was like Ash, a go-getter, hot headed kid with a great heart. But as the series evolved, we watched him and his crew grow, their missions increasingly grew more sophisticated, darker, "edgier" and wiser.
Viewing Naruto as a role model explains a lot.

And again, your points are completely moot. Ash consistently developed and has changed as a character. He's not well written, but again your point is wrong. In the original anime, maybe until Hoenn, Ash was super obnoxious and downright dumb, continually piggybacking off of those around him. Both Black and White and the XY series made Ash way more mature and more serious competitively. Sun and Moon, took a stylistic change, and made him a little more responsible and gung-ho.

You're also ignoring that Season 1 of pokemon, and Pokemon in general is a real anime. There are entire plot arcs, like the SS Anne, or the Sabrina Psychic Ghost Saga.

Anyways, this conversation is getting old. What's everyone's favorite Pokemon? Mine is Slowking.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Viewing Naruto as a role model explains a lot.

Anyways, this conversation is getting old. What's everyone's favorite Pokemon? Mine is Slowking.
I think any and every body would consider Naruto as some sort of role model. Dude peaked and got a spinoff.

But I never said he was?

Anyway, any dragon type minus Dragonite would be my go-to.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Slowpoke in general is great, I wish you could actually get it fairly early in the Kanto games.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Fish Cakes wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Ash has finally won at the pokemon league after 20+ years.
He won the Orange League in like Season 2.
According to people Orange Island and Battle Frontier didn't count for some reason.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Anyways, this conversation is getting old. What's everyone's favorite Pokemon? Mine is Slowking.
Giratina and Groudon

Dunno why, but I've always found myself liking those two a lot.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Anyways, this conversation is getting old. What's everyone's favorite Pokemon? Mine is Slowking.
Mewtwo. Darkrai, Scizor, and Dewott are also cool.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Anyways, this conversation is getting old. What's everyone's favorite Pokemon? Mine is Slowking.
Mewtwo. Darkrai, Scizor, and Dewott are also cool.
ManuJM1997 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Anyways, this conversation is getting old. What's everyone's favorite Pokemon? Mine is Slowking.
Giratina and Groudon

Dunno why, but I've always found myself liking those two a lot.
Unfortunately Darkrai, Groudon and Giratina seem ripe for the cutting :(

Also, SirFetch'd looks awesome. It feels deserved after so long to finally get a FarFetch'd evo, and some evolutions to old pokemon (haven't done it since gen 4).

Also, not to come off as some crazy pokemon defender again, but I realized that if they did remove Megas, then pokemon like Farfetched can get evolution that aren't absurdly busted, and still matter. For example, SirFetch'd could have like 550-570 BST, and that would still be considered great. I think this is what they meant when they meant balancing the games.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matango Taste
Ronin

Post by Matango Taste »

I really can't pick a favorite when it comes to the Kanto Pokemon because each design is so nostalgic for me, from Krabby to Magikarp to Mewtwo, I love them all equally.

There's seriously not a Pokemon i didn't like from the original 150
Last edited by Matango Taste on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Matango Taste wrote:I really can't pick a favorite when it comes to the Kanto Pokemon because each design is so nostalgic for me, from Krabby to Magikarp to Mewtwo, I love them all equally.

There's seriously not a Pokemon i didn't like from the original 150
I think, I'm the same way, but it feels more stockhomey syndromey.
It's also weird because actually the bulk of my favorite pokemon are weirdoes from gen 2.

Also, now that SirFetch'd is a sword exclusive, that means shield will most likely get one as well. SirFetch'd is a pokemon that was supposed to come out in Gen 2, or at least had a Beta version. If I had to guess, an expected but also not expected, would be the fabled Ditto evolution. Since Sirfetch'd is attack oriented, Ditto's evo could work similarly to Ditto, except the pokemon it turns into gets boosted points in defensive stats, and it's base HP (that never changes when transforming) would be higher.

Also predicting, literal Dragonite Galar line.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I realized that if they did remove Megas, then pokemon like Farfetched can get evolution that aren't absurdly busted, and still matter. For example, SirFetch'd could have like 550-570 BST, and that would still be considered great. I think this is what they meant when they meant balancing the games.
But there's nothing really stopping them from doing that with Megas still in the game, is there? The majority of "busted" Megas were a result of giving power boosts to already strong Pokemon or giving them poorly balanced abilities on GF's part. If Farfetch'd did get a mega as opposed to an actual evolution it would've been one like Beedrill's. What turns me off about these new cross-gen evos is that they're regional, so it's easy to flick that "doesn't matter" switch again and just make it irrelvant again because the next region won't be cold enough for Farfetch'd to evolve or something.

As for Sirfetch'd himself, I like how he looks. I used a Farfetch'd in FRLG and it wasn't too bad as long as it was holding a stick. Mono Fighting (though this isn't really too bad) with Steadfast is a bit dull though, and the description of his new signature move makes it sound like a reskinned Giga Impact unless they're explaining it badly. Maybe he gets a unique hidden ability?

Oh, and about the Ditto evo: I feel like they scrapped that after realizing how redundant it would be. Ditto's whole schtick is that he copies the stats and moves of the opposing Pokemon, so giving him an evolution wouldn't really change anything unless they take away what makes Ditto... Ditto? Maybe the Shield counterpart won't even be a Generation 1 Pokemon, or it could just be a furball Meowth or something.
Last edited by Smuggers on Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.