Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by KaijuFiend »

Giratina93 wrote: Speaking of that, just cleared the game (I got a physical copy early from a friend of mine who runs a Smash 4 youtube channel), and it's HAAAAAAAAAAAARD if you try to be underleveled. I was, and a lot of healing items were wasted.
I concur with this. I got to the Fire trial with a team of Torracat, Rockruff, and Pikachu, and got friggin' wrecked by the Totem Salazzle. I wasn't even underleveled. I think my levels ranged from 21-23, so I was more or less on par. But holy crap, pitting you against all of these fully-evolved Pokemon when your team is nowhere near that, with no way to heal in between? Seems more like something a hard romhack would do, than an official game would do. Though I will admit, part of my downfall may have been that Torracat didn't have anything better than Lick to hit em with. His other moves were Work Up, Fire Fang, and Ember. I had neglected to replace Lick with anything stronger via TM, because I didn't know it would be so important to do so.

And then I leveled up Rockruff to 25 and he evolved, and he one-shot everything lolz.

OgreTusk
Yojimbo

Post by OgreTusk »

I had a lvl 27 snorlax by the time I faced the Salazzle. I actually fought 6 marowaks before taking on Salazzle just to get some more xp. Here's to taking things slow and hunting for rares :D

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

OgreTusk wrote:I had a lvl 27 snorlax by the time I faced the Salazzle. I actually fought 6 marowaks before taking on Salazzle just to get some more xp. Here's to taking things slow and hunting for rares :D
You're the second person I've heard mention that their team was significantly higher level than mine at that point. I don't think I missed much, though. I re-combed the island after and only found something like three battles I had missed. I had only used the Exp Share for a couple short bursts, so I'm sure that contributed. Only grinding I did was when I first caught Pichu and Rockruff, raising their levels to better match the rest of my team.

Regardless, it seems Sun and Moon are structured to balance out the Exp Share. With trials often throwing a lot at you, Totem Pokemon getting huge stat boosts, and the return of the exp system from Black and White, it feels like GameFreak listened to everyone's complaints of "The Exp Share is broken!"

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

I finally reached the elite 4. I leveled up all my guys to 50, and am about to head in. Here's what I'm working with.

Lycanroc w/hard stone
-stealth rock
-stone edge
-accelerock
-crunch

Mudsdale w/ soft sand
-earthquake
-heavy slam
-rock tomb
-payback

Vikavolt w/electrium z
-thunderbolt
-bug buzz
-agility
-hidden power ice

Greninja w/waterium z
-ice beam
-extrasensory
-scald
-night slash

Salazzle w/firium z
-flamethrower
-toxic
-nasty plot
-sludge bomb

Decidueye w/ deciduim z
-spirit shackle
-leaf blade
-swords dance
-low sweep

I used to have toucannon and turtonator in my team, but they just werent bringing enough to the table. I only just brought lycanroc back after ditching it as soon as I caught a mudbray. I'm hoping it can hold up this late in the game.

Here goes nothing.

OgreTusk
Yojimbo

Post by OgreTusk »

Careful, those guys are in the 60s. This may be too early for you... I'm too late, aren't I?

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

OgreTusk wrote:Careful, those guys are in the 60s. This may be too early for you... I'm too late, aren't I?
They are in their 60's... for the rematches.Round 1, it's mid 50's.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

Anyone here have a Kommo-o and/or Pallossand (or their pre evolutions) with their hidden abilities? Haven't had much luck with SOS. PM me if you do and we can negotiate.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Joined the party quite late (just got Sun last week), but I'll give the game that it isn't as terrible as I imagined (even though some of the Pokemon are... ehhhhhhh). Best thing about these so far: that Elite Four music.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I have to say, I enjoy a lot of the new designs in SuMo. However, what did end up pissing me off was the relative lack of pokemon yet AGAIN. We could have had so many more new and amazing mons. Once you take our all the UBs, Legendaries, and Alola Forms, there really isn't a lot of new Pokémon, especially in comparison to the last generation too (take out the legends and alt forms and you'll still have a decent amount of newbie mons). Really wish they would have put more Pokemon in, even if it was only 10 more.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

CyberZilla wrote:I have to say, I enjoy a lot of the new designs in SuMo. However, what did end up pissing me off was the relative lack of pokemon yet AGAIN. We could have had so many more new and amazing mons. Once you take our all the UBs, Legendaries, and Alola Forms, there really isn't a lot of new Pokémon, especially in comparison to the last generation too (take out the legends and alt forms and you'll still have a decent amount of newbie mons). Really wish they would have put more Pokemon in, even if it was only 10 more.
You want to know the root of that problem? Gen 5 and the initial reception it got. 156 new pokemon.. and people bitched about how their old favorites were getting shunted to the side and how so many designs seemed to be expies of their old favorites... it was a lot of bitching and complaining. So what does Gamefreak do? dial back the number of new mons and start focusing on good old gen 1 pandering (well, there are quite a few non-gen 1 megas, but the largest percentage of megas and all the Alolan forms are gen 1, because MUH NOSTALGIA). It's really dumb and stupid, but that's how Gamefreak operates nowadays, by pandering to the gen 1 fanbase and raking in the cash that way.

Then you factor in how shit most of the non-UB's and legendaries are... (There's a reason people call Alola "Aslowla"). So many of these mons would be amazing if they weren't slow as molasses. Crabominable especially suffers because of this; We finally have an Ice/Fighting type, amazing stab and offensive power, but it's frail, slow, and weak to so much shit it's borderline unusable even in-game.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Giratina93 wrote:
CyberZilla wrote:I have to say, I enjoy a lot of the new designs in SuMo. However, what did end up pissing me off was the relative lack of pokemon yet AGAIN. We could have had so many more new and amazing mons. Once you take our all the UBs, Legendaries, and Alola Forms, there really isn't a lot of new Pokémon, especially in comparison to the last generation too (take out the legends and alt forms and you'll still have a decent amount of newbie mons). Really wish they would have put more Pokemon in, even if it was only 10 more.
You want to know the root of that problem? Gen 5 and the initial reception it got. 156 new pokemon.. and people bitched about how their old favorites were getting shunted to the side and how so many designs seemed to be expies of their old favorites... it was a lot of bitching and complaining. So what does Gamefreak do? dial back the number of new mons and start focusing on good old gen 1 pandering (well, there are quite a few non-gen 1 megas, but the largest percentage of megas and all the Alolan forms are gen 1, because MUH NOSTALGIA). It's really dumb and stupid, but that's how Gamefreak operates nowadays, by pandering to the gen 1 fanbase and raking in the cash that way.

Then you factor in how shit most of the non-UB's and legendaries are... (There's a reason people call Alola "Aslowla"). So many of these mons would be amazing if they weren't slow as molasses. Crabominable especially suffers because of this; We finally have an Ice/Fighting type, amazing stab and offensive power, but it's frail, slow, and weak to so much shit it's borderline unusable even in-game.
Precisely. I can count all the fast Alola Pokemon on one hand!!

Gen 5 kind of did add a bit too many. A good sweet spot is always within 90-110 new Pokemon imo. That way there's new stuff to work with while still allowing room for the oldie but goldie past genners.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Giratina93 wrote:

I like Black 2 because it has the best of both worlds. It has the 156 new Pokemon as well as the older ones. The best part about the fifth gen was that there were Pokemon I didn't know exist that were there because I didn't really look into them. It felt that aside from Platinum like I was playing a wholly immersive game. If SuMo had that sort of balance, I would find it worthy to go for.

Generation 1 pandering wouldn't be bad if it wasn't solely on that.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Bigdog wrote:
Giratina93 wrote:

I like Black 2 because it has the best of both worlds. It has the 156 new Pokemon as well as the older ones. The best part about the fifth gen was that there were Pokemon I didn't know exist that were there because I didn't really look into them. It felt that aside from Platinum like I was playing a wholly immersive game. If SuMo had that sort of balance, I would find it worthy to go for.
I liked BW2 as well for the same reasons. My favorite part about them was fusing Pokemon. White and Black Kyurem were pretty awesome.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Kaijunator wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
Giratina93 wrote:

I liked BW2 as well for the same reasons. My favorite part about them was fusing Pokemon. White and Black Kyurem were pretty awesome.
I wish they went the Monster Rancher and Demikids route and had the ability to crossbreed certain Pokemon that are close to each other, to create hybrids that are mostly infertile but powerful. I was hoping that for SuMo's conservation theme, they would have that as a feature to compound the Alolan Species.

If Gen VIII was like V or Stars expanded the Dex to address the issues with original Pokemon and Alolan variations, I might consider it because Geewunner nostalgia i just irritating to me. I want them to acknowledge Johto , Hoenn.and later regions.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

I hope everyone got their midnight Lycanroc at Gamestop today it runs until next month. Also I saw a big Charizard wooden poster there I may grab it when I get paid again the guy said it was $20. I just gotta figure where to hang it up in my room. :shock:

Added in 31 minutes 16 seconds:
So tomorrow is the big Pokemon Direct reveal what do all of you Pokemon trainers think on what game they're coming out with? I'm saying it'll be a remake of Red/Blue/Green or Sinnoh. Reason why on Sinnoh is because of one reason: They have no mega Pokemon. Neither does Johto but no remake on that. One thing I like for Nintendo to do and hope for is GBA and GC Pokemon games at the eshop and are compatiable with Poke Transfer and Pokemon Bank. I don't think Pokemon Stars is happening at all that's just a fake rumor but I like to see remakes of Pokemon that we all know and love. Which games do you think Pokemon Direct will reveal and which ones do you think deserves remakes? Pokemon Direct starts tomorrow at 9am CDT.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Hellblaze wrote:So tomorrow is the big Pokemon Direct reveal what do all of you Pokemon trainers think on what game they're coming out with? I'm saying it'll be a remake of Red/Blue/Green or Sinnoh. Reason why on Sinnoh is because of one reason: They have no mega Pokemon. Neither does Johto but no remake on that. One thing I like for Nintendo to do and hope for is GBA and GC Pokemon games at the eshop and are compatiable with Poke Transfer and Pokemon Bank. I don't think Pokemon Stars is happening at all that's just a fake rumor but I like to see remakes of Pokemon that we all know and love. Which games do you think Pokemon Direct will reveal and which ones do you think deserves remakes? Pokemon Direct starts tomorrow at 9am CDT.
I believe the direct will only be 8 minutes long... But some more observant fans have pointed out that pretty much all these Pokemon-exclusive directs reveals something totally new in the series. Maybe the long-rumored Switch port?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

GigaBowserG wrote:
I believe the direct will only be 8 minutes long... But some more observant fans have pointed out that pretty much all these Pokemon-exclusive directs reveals something totally new in the series. Maybe the long-rumored Switch port?
I'm not thinking the Switch if so I will save up and buy a Switch just for Pokemon. They do need a Pokemon game to get the Switch hyped up but also they can get more money on more Pokemon remakes such as Red/Blue/Green. People are pointing out that offical Japanese Pokemon Twitter and Facebook are posting Red/Blue/Green video gameplay for some unknown reason some are speculating a remake of this some are saying that it will be Stars for the Switch. Others are saying there's hints in Sun and Moon that Sinnoh will be remade we're not sure but I am putting doubts that it will not be a Switch game but a 3DS game.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Doing it on JUST the Switch isn't what I'd call a smart Gamefreak move. Remember, they kept Gen 5 on the standard 2DS because it was the device more people had, and only went to the 3DS when it was absolutely necessary for what they wanted to do. A smarter option would be to keep Gen 7 on the 3DS, then transfer over to the Switch for Gen 8 later on down the Switch's lifespan

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

Giratina93 wrote:Doing it on JUST the Switch isn't what I'd call a smart Gamefreak move. Remember, they kept Gen 5 on the standard 2DS because it was the device more people had, and only went to the 3DS when it was absolutely necessary for what they wanted to do. A smarter option would be to keep Gen 7 on the 3DS, then transfer over to the Switch for Gen 8 later on down the Switch's lifespan
I agree plus how many people have bought a Switch in this community? Not a lot I bet I'm one of them that does not own one. Also since the launch it's harder to find a Switch and Japan restocked and people are lining up again to get one. So Japan still has more units to make and sell so that's why I'm also doubting that there will be a Pokemon game for the Switch but if they announce a Pokemon game for it tomorrow, it's gonna catch people off guard completely and how is Japan gonna keep up with the Switch demand here in the States or in the rest of the world so people can own one if there's gonna be a Pokemon game for the Switch. I'm calling it gonna be on the 3DS there's no way Nintendo can keep up with the Switch demand since millions of units have been sold since launch and it's harder to find one in stores. If you look at Gamestop, Best Buy or any other gaming websites, you see they're out of stock of them and people will be stupid enough to spend $400+ on scalpers on ebay or Amazon. So, if there is a Pokemon game tomorrow for the Switch, Nintendo better get going on making more units because Pokemon is a popular game. Right now I'm seeing it's not gonna happen and it'll be on the 3DS tomorrow is gonna shock everyone on what they will announce.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Hellblaze wrote:So tomorrow is the big Pokemon Direct reveal what do all of you Pokemon trainers think on what game they're coming out with? I'm saying it'll be a remake of Red/Blue/Green or Sinnoh. Reason why on Sinnoh is because of one reason: They have no mega Pokemon. Neither does Johto but no remake on that. One thing I like for Nintendo to do and hope for is GBA and GC Pokemon games at the eshop and are compatiable with Poke Transfer and Pokemon Bank. I don't think Pokemon Stars is happening at all that's just a fake rumor but I like to see remakes of Pokemon that we all know and love. Which games do you think Pokemon Direct will reveal and which ones do you think deserves remakes? Pokemon Direct starts tomorrow at 9am CDT.
You forgot that Mega Lucario and Mega Garchomp exist.

Sinnoh seems likely enough, though.

Resized Image