Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by KaijuFiend »

Thoughts on the new Pokemon:

Starters: I like Litten the best, naturally. The other two are cool as well. I sincerely hope Litten becomes something other than mono-Fire or Fire/Fighting, we've had enough of those. Hoping for Fire/Dark.

The cover legendaries are pretty whatever. I'm not a competitive player, and prefer not to use Ubers in my playthroughs of the story, so I probably won't use either of them. I do like Lunala more, though.

The koala is very cute, could easily see it become part Grass because of the wood thingy it's holding.

Love the rock doggie. So adorbs <3

Regional bird is regional bird. Outside of Staraptor, they usually aren't very good (and Talonflame in competitive). It has a promising ability, we'll see if its stats can manage to back that up.

Yungoos seems like the regional rodent. I don't like it much, but that's par for the course since I never care for the regional rodent xD Yet another promising ability, we'll see how it fares.

Grubbin > Charjabug > Vikabolt seem like Alola'a regional bug. I don't like the first two stages, they're pretty boring-looking, but Vikavolt is great. Bug/Electric is a good typing. These could turn out to be good.

Drampa is pretty neat. I hope it gets an evolution. As a standalone it feels a little incomplete, though still a good design for a Dragon type.

Bruxish... I'm sorry, but I hate it xD I've never cared for fish Pokemon to be honest, and this one's pretty ugly. It reminds me of Seaking, Lumineon, Alomomola, Basculin... All very bland and underwhelming Pokemon. An evolution could save this thing, but it'll probably be standalone or be the final evo, based on its similarities to the Pokemon it reminds me of. I'm not expecting much in the way of stats, either, as fish tend to be lacking in that regard. The ability does seem promising, at least. I'm expecting average-but-not-great for this one. And note, this is all just in my opinion. And I know that Gyarados and Milotic evolve from fishes and are amazing, but both Magikarp and Feebas are much more simplistic than Bruxish is, making me think it getting a cool evolution won't be the case.

Cutiefly is my favorite of the new bunch after Litten. I'm hoping for another Ralts/Flabebe with this one. Weak throughout the early parts of the game, but gets really good once you hit the final stage. I like adding a second Pokemon to my team early on, so I'm hoping this one fills that spot. Fairy/Bug is a solid typing that seems like it'll be quite useful. High hopes for this one, hope it'll be good.

Togedemaru is Pikaclone, which means it'll probably suck. Electric/Steel is a good typing at least.

Tapu Koko is fantastic. I hope it doesn't end up as some postgame legendary, because I'd like to actually use it on a playthrough team. Hoping it's more along the lines of Absol and Pinsir: comes kinda lategame (though not too late), is kinda rare, and has high stats. If it's like that, it'll be a team consideration for sure.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Rodan wrote:Tapu Koko's the first newly revealed Pokemon I actually see making a splash. Automatic Electric Terrain is (literally) nothing to sleep on.
Complete speculation but there's that Koala Pokemon that can only be affected by sleep ailments. Again this is really early but using them together would give the Koala immunity to any statuses.
I don't see that being particularly useful in any format. Other status afflictions are not as relevant as sleep, and that koala would have to be very, very useful in other ways to make an impact.

Like, maybe if it turns out to be particularly useful against Thundurus-I or something. I'm thinking about VGC/Doubles here.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I used to be a huge Pokemon card collector back in the day, and I was particularly interested in those "Delta species" cards that they used to make. So I was thinking about it again today, about having Delta Species Pokemon in the games. I think it'd make the games somewhat more interesting, because of seeing different typings of a Pokemon species, like a fire type Ludicolo or a electric/steel Charizard. Anyone else think that seeing delta/alternate types of Pokemon in the game wouldn't be such a bad idea?
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Missingno. wrote:I used to be a huge Pokemon card collector back in the day, and I was particularly interested in those "Delta species" cards that they used to make. So I was thinking about it again today, about having Delta Species Pokemon in the games. I think it'd make the games somewhat more interesting, because of seeing different typings of a Pokemon species, like a fire type Ludicolo or a electric/steel Charizard. Anyone else think that seeing delta/alternate types of Pokemon in the game wouldn't be such a bad idea?
It would be interesting for sure. I'd say I'm for it, but only if it was like they have one alternate type. For example charizard could he his standard fire/flying, but his only alternate would be like steel/electric or something. Basically everyone only gets one alt so you can at least keep track of everything
Resized Image

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

So, for those of you interested, Pokemon Go is now available in the United States on your phones. For me, I'll skip on it and wait for SuMo.

Speaking of which, dat poison/fire salamander, tho.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Giratina93 wrote:So, for those of you interested, Pokemon Go is now available in the United States on your phones. For me, I'll skip on it and wait for SuMo.
I hear you. Mobile games were never my thing, and I'm not going to be on my phone the entire time when I'm out and about.
Giratina93 wrote: Speaking of which, dat poison/fire salamander, tho.
I love the ability and typing, but the design is kind of lackluster to me. A little bit too stylized.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Played Pokemon Go a little already. Haven't had a hard time catching Pokemon. Best Pokemon I have caught is a Blastoise and that was on my first full day with the game. It works when you are a passenger in a car, but you can expect trying to catch a Pokemon annoying as you try to rotate around your seat while the car is moving. I have also caught a couple Pokemon from my room which defeats the purpose of walking to Pokemon. This whole idea of specific candies for each Pokemon sucks and is an indicator of this game's pay-to-win culture. I think you can only get candies for certain Pokemon by catching another one and transferring it (you may get some from leveling up). I haven't battled yet, but I doubt it is much like the regular games.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

Ok so Pokemon GO is out and I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the damn Google Play store says its not compatible with my phone and my firmware and phone is up to date on the latest to play. Is anyone having the same problem as me? :|

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

No I haven't happened to see that problem. I have a S5 and it downloaded smoothly. It does have issues because of the server.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Hellblaze wrote:Ok so Pokemon GO is out and I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the damn Google Play store says its not compatible with my phone and my firmware and phone is up to date on the latest to play. Is anyone having the same problem as me? :|
Sideload it like any decent Android user from a trusted source. :lol: Like get your friend to dl it, then pass it along. Therefore, you should be fine.

Added in 13 minutes 37 seconds:
Missingno. wrote:I used to be a huge Pokemon card collector back in the day, and I was particularly interested in those "Delta species" cards that they used to make. So I was thinking about it again today, about having Delta Species Pokemon in the games. I think it'd make the games somewhat more interesting, because of seeing different typings of a Pokemon species, like a fire type Ludicolo or a electric/steel Charizard. Anyone else think that seeing delta/alternate types of Pokemon in the game wouldn't be such a bad idea?

I really like that idea. That and having Pokemon use disposable TMs in battle, ones in the eCard or that era's version which had all these different kinds of attacks that didn't exist in the games. I hope Nintendo integrates Go's GPS functionality in the 3DS games or I mean bases it off of local weather patterns, eclipses, solstices, and time.

I never quite understood why Fire Pokemon never weaken in battle despite being in the rain, or that even Ice types aren't negatively affected by the sun. It'd be much cooler if the games actually made the terrain matter much more than what it usually does.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Meant to post this a few days ago, but distracted + computer problems.

I decided to be a madman and do a Pokemon Y playthrough... with a rotating 30 mon team, the most I have ever done. Even with the Exp. broke, my crew was underleveled all the times, and more often than not horribly so. There were long periods of time spent grinding at the Battle Chateau, and Kecleon and Dunsparce ended up getting canned, lowering the team down to 28. It was a fun, hellish experience, and a fitting way to see Gen 6 off in my book.

Team that was with me when taking down Diantha:
lv. 55 Charizard (Air Slash, Flamethrower, Solarbeam, Focus Blast)
lv. 55 Chesnaught (Wood Hammer, Brick Break, Poison Jab, Pin Missile)
lv. 56 Drifblim (Acrofatics, Shadow Ball, Payback, Thunderbolt)
lv. 56 Meinshao (High Jump Kick, Acrofatics, U-Turn, Drain Punch)
lv. 56 Lapras (Ice Beam, Surf, Thunderbolt, Strength)
lv. 56 Haxorus (Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Shadow Claw)

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Sounds like a really good team. I like the movesets that you have for your Pokemon; they cover a lot of your weaknesses. Was Haxorus an effective Dragon Dancer? When I eventually get to Black 2, I am going to try Haxorus out.

Getting some decent Pokemon on Go. Just evolve an Eevee into Vaporeon. I am pretty sure that Eevee evolutions are done at random in this game. I had two Eevees before this with different movesets and they both ended up as Jolteon. I am gonna keep on getting more Eevees to hopefully get a Flareon too. Some Pokemon I have caught over the last couple days are Blastoise, Pidgeot, Parasect, Pinsir, Snorlax, and Starmie. Scyther, Magmar, Rhydon, and Fearow have all popped up. My Hawaiian vacation has been very rewarding for Pokemon Go.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, Haxorus was a solid DDancer. While it's a tad slower than Mence, the fact it has no quad weaknesses helps it set up slightly easier, and Mold Breaker cheeses all the Levitaters. in B2, it's one of the most broken mons you can get, with Magnemite, Riolu, and Azurill sharing its rank of brokeness.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:Sounds like a really good team. I like the movesets that you have for your Pokemon; they cover a lot of your weaknesses. Was Haxorus an effective Dragon Dancer? When I eventually get to Black 2, I am going to try Haxorus out.

Getting some decent Pokemon on Go. Just evolve an Eevee into Vaporeon. I am pretty sure that Eevee evolutions are done at random in this game. I had two Eevees before this with different movesets and they both ended up as Jolteon. I am gonna keep on getting more Eevees to hopefully get a Flareon too. Some Pokemon I have caught over the last couple days are Blastoise, Pidgeot, Parasect, Pinsir, Snorlax, and Starmie. Scyther, Magmar, Rhydon, and Fearow have all popped up. My Hawaiian vacation has been very rewarding for Pokemon Go.
Totally jealous on the Blastoise part.

I caught: 7 Rattata, a Pidgeotto, 2 Pidgey [had more but sacrificed for more candies], five Venonat, a Paras, 2 Caterpies, 2 Weedles, and I got a Charmander by default because I didn't know I could switch the starters by running away. Got most of these in and around my house. Despite the place I walk to being a hub for some grass types, none of them showed.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Bigdog wrote:
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:Sounds like a really good team. I like the movesets that you have for your Pokemon; they cover a lot of your weaknesses. Was Haxorus an effective Dragon Dancer? When I eventually get to Black 2, I am going to try Haxorus out.

Totally jealous on the Blastoise part.

I caught: 7 Rattata, a Pidgeotto, 2 Pidgey [had more but sacrificed for more candies], five Venonat, a Paras, 2 Caterpies, 2 Weedles, and I got a Charmander by default because I didn't know I could switch the starters by running away. Got most of these in and around my house. Despite the place I walk to being a hub for some grass types, none of them showed.
Having someone drive you o different areas helps out a ton with this game. My current hotel has only two PokeStops and so far the strongest Pokemon I have seen here are Fearow, Starmie, and Poliwhirl. When we go to this neraby town that has a ton, I see a ton of Pokemon such as Pinsir, Pikachu, and Rhydon. I got really lucky with the Blastoise (it was hanging out at this lagoon), but I cannot train it much because there are hardly any Squirtle around here. I started with Charmander and I have not seen a single one pop up on my radar. I have caught the occasional Bulbasaur at least.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

I'd prefer Stone Edge or even X-Scissors over Shadow Claw on Haxorus, simply because either one would provide superior coverage. With Stone Edge giving the best coverage options of the three, although X-Scissors offers really good coverage as well.

I typically go
Haxorus with Lum Berry
Mold Breaker
Dragon Dance
Earthquake or Stone Edge
Outrage
X-Scissors or Earthquake or Stone Edge

That's always been my favorite set for Haxorus.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

MysticalDL wrote:I'd prefer Stone Edge or even X-Scissors over Shadow Claw on Haxorus, simply because either one would provide superior coverage. With Stone Edge giving the best coverage options of the three, although X-Scissors offers really good coverage as well.

I typically go
Haxorus with Lum Berry
Mold Breaker
Dragon Dance
Earthquake or Stone Edge
Outrage
X-Scissors or Earthquake or Stone Edge

That's always been my favorite set for Haxorus.
The only reason I had Shadow Claw on haxorus was to kill Diantha's Gourgeist and Megavoir with less DDances once Haxorus got Trick or Treat'd. Otherwise, I'd be fully happy to go with a different move. Also, Outrage was a good 10 levels away at that point (66, when my Haxorus was 56 upon defeating Diantha)

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

I keep forgetting that X & Y didn't have advanced move tutors.

Diantha really was a super easy & forgetable pokemon champion though, almost as bad as Isis.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

MysticalDL wrote:I keep forgetting that X & Y didn't have advanced move tutors.

Diantha really was a super easy & forgetable pokemon champion though, almost as bad as Isis.
Much of the game was too easy, in my opinion. Having a Speed Torchic [from the Mystery Gift], a Froakie and a Bulbasaur really took the edge from it.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

Ok Kaiju fans here I'm really scared on this article I read today from Kotaku and I want you all to read this carefully alright? Point is my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 and Google Play on the site says Pokemon GO is not compatible with my phone. Disappointed I went to Youtube and found GameboyLuke's video how to get Pokemon GO on my phone. He showed us what to do and the Pokemon GO is from APK which is trusted source. So I did that now after hearing this news from Kotaku that Nintendo is gonna do this, I have to ask: Will my progress and app of Pokemon GO not be taken down by Nintendo despite being a APK file? Let me know thanks and this is the article please read and reply to me everyone and let me know what's going on here thanks. :( http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-trying-to ... Socialflow