Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Hey everyone I have a question for you all:

I am currently at the third gym in Heartgold on an emulator and I have questions about teams for Heartgold. Since I am on an emulator, I cannot trade. The Pokemon that I am building around are Typhlosion and Scyther (for nostalgia purposes). Do any of you have any recommendations for an in-game team to build around these two? Currently I have these candidates:

Ampharos: I currently raising a Flaafy.

Bellossom: Just won the Bug Contest with Scyther and have a Sun Stone. I always wondered how good it is.

Donphan: I think Manphy comes later in the game but I always like ground types

Water-Type: I think a must on any team, but wondering what my best option is.

Togekiss: Afraid of having another flying type alongside Scyther, but the stats look great

Let me know what you guys think. I am not looking to use legendaries as well as Pokemon after the Pokemon league like Tyranitar.

Thanks!

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Heartgold mons... There's a few I can recommend with Typhlosion and Scyther to base around...

Quagsire or Lapras: Solid surfing mons with a lot of utility and great coverage in the case of Lapras, and they eat up specific hits for days. Plus Lapras handles Lance's dragons very well, while Quagsire walls Red's Pikachu and Charizard to the end of the world.

Ampharos is a solid choice

Heracross: It's a goddamn Heracross, and it WILL wreck almost anything in its path. Why NOT use it?

Tangrowth: This thing is insane, and much better than Bellossom. It's fat, it hits hard, it will not die to any physical move, and it's got a solid movepool.

Those are my personal suggestions, with the usual mons like Gyarados, Skarmory, Magneton, and Primeape all being solid options as well.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Giratina93 wrote:Heartgold mons... There's a few I can recommend with Typhlosion and Scyther to base around...

Quagsire or Lapras: Solid surfing mons with a lot of utility and great coverage in the case of Lapras, and they eat up specific hits for days. Plus Lapras handles Lance's dragons very well, while Quagsire walls Red's Pikachu and Charizard to the end of the world.

Heracross: It's a goddamn Heracross, and it WILL wreck almost anything in its path. Why NOT use it?

Tangrowth: This thing is insane, and much better than Bellossom. It's fat, it hits hard, it will not die to any physical move, and it's got a solid movepool.

Those are my personal suggestions, with the usual mons like Gyarados, Skarmory, Magneton, and Primeape all being solid options as well.
Thanks for the response. I am definitely gonna give Lapras a shot as I have never used it on a team before. Question about Tangrowth: do I have to breed it to gain access to Ancient Power or is at a tutor move later on?

Also what is your opinion on Mamoswine?

Thanks Giratina93

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:
Giratina93 wrote:Heartgold mons... There's a few I can recommend with Typhlosion and Scyther to base around...

Thanks for the response. I am definitely gonna give Lapras a shot as I have never used it on a team before. Question about Tangrowth: do I have to breed it to gain access to Ancient Power or is at a tutor move later on?

Also what is your opinion on Mamoswine?

Thanks Giratina93
Mamoswine's Ancient Power is Move Relearner only, so you're gonna need a heart scale to slap onto a Piloswine to get it. Tangela doesn't need a move relearner for it, since it learns it via level up at lv. 33. So just cap it, level it up, and you're good.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Cool looking forward to giving Tangrowth a try!

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I'm starting to pull my nostalgia glasses off and moving away from gen 1.

I still think the designs are getting worse with each gen, but there are still some seriously cool looking pokemon in every gen.

Tyrantrum has skyrocketed into my top 3 pokemon list in the last year. And Feraligatr has recently become my favorite starter.

I still am losing interest in the main series games. They just get so boring after doing the same thing over and over. But the spin off titles and the lore still have me hooked.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Zilla103192 wrote:I still am losing interest in the main series games. They just get so boring after doing the same thing over and over. But the spin off titles and the lore still have me hooked.
They took gyms out of gen 7, but a lot of people want them back already. It’s the damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario. I don’t really get bored of Pokémon, but I get what you mean.

Hopefully the switch game will be more focused on having a better world and more of a longer and harder story.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Regarding the main complaints of gen 7, I never really heard people wanting the gyms back, at least not as a vocal majority or even minority. The bulk of the complaints are in regards to SOS weather calls, the horrible distribution of mons in general, the unskippable cutscenes that take far too long, and Rotomdex, especially in USUM (And complaints about Lillie, but I have no issues with her)My god, whoever decided to make Rotomdex into the next Navi deserves to burn in hell. I JUST SAVED ALREADY, YOU JACKASS!YOU DON'T NEED TO FUCKING REMIND ME!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Giratina93 wrote:whoever decided to make Rotomdex into the next Navi deserves to burn in hell. I JUST SAVED ALREADY, YOU JACKASS!YOU DON'T NEED TO skreeonking REMIND ME!
I always saw the addition of the Rotomdex as 4th gen remake foreshadowing/pandering, much like how the Johto Pokemon suddenly started reappearing in the card game or as bonus starter 'mons prior to HGSS. The little bastard's annoying, but I did enjoy his power-ups.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Giratina93 wrote:Regarding the main complaints of gen 7, I never really heard people wanting the gyms back, at least not as a vocal majority or even minority.
I remember seeing people upset that there wouldn't be gyms in Sun and Moon when the trials were first shown in a trailer. I don't think it was a huge uproar, but they were still there.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Just beat the Elite 4 for the first time in HeartGold. I got my team up to Level 45 and with the exception of Bruno's Machamp, this team performed relatively well. Here is my team for the W and my thoughts on them:

Typhlosion (Naive, Blaze)

Moveset: Sunny Day, Focus Blast, Solarbeam, Flamethrower

Opinion: I've used Typhlosion in Gen 2 multiple times, but this is the first time I've used Typhlosion with the Gen 4 physical/special attack split. With the nature, this mon is my fastest Pokemon by a margin and a great special sweeper. Sunny Day is good for setting up a stronger Flamethrower and Solarbeam spam. Focus Blast is a strong move that while it has some redundant coverage with Solarbeam, it was very handy in taking out Dark Pokemon in the Elite 4. I will probably stick to this moveset in the future.

Tangrowth (Serious, Chlorophyll)

Moveset: Growth, PoisonPowder, AncientPower, Mega Drain

Opinion: A fantastic physical tank. Tangrowth hits hard even with Mega Drain being its most effective move. It does poorly against most special attacks, but Mega Drain helps keep it around a bit longer. Will most likely change the moveset to include Power Whip and/or Giga Drain at the very least.

Scyther (Calm, Technician)

Moveset: Wing Attack, Double Team, X-Scissor, Pursuit

Opinion: The nature hurts Scyther's great attack for a little bit of special bulk, which I have tried to nullify by giving Scyther Protein several times. He still manages to hit hard most of the time and his Wing Attack takes care of most Fighting types; however, if Scyther can't get the KO on the first blow, he is very suspect to getting KOed after by a strong Pokemon. This happened with Bruno's Machamp, who took a Wing Attack head on and then one-hit KOed Scyther with Rock Slide. Looking to use Swords Dance over Double Team and Aerial Ace over Wing Attack in the future. Considering exchanging Pursuit for Quick Attack because Scyther is not the fastest Pokemon out there.

Kangaskhan (Brave, Scrappy)

Moveset: Return, Outrage, Drain Punch, Sucker Punch

Opinion: This is the hardest-hitting physical attacker on my team. Has very balanced stats and a great movepool. This moveset makes Kangaskhan a very versatile all-out attacker. Return hits hard and Outrage was a great help against Lance's dragons. Drain Punch could hit harder and I think I will use Reversal over this once it learns it. Have yet to use Sucker Punch yet, but I think it will be a good priority move. Kangaskhan is the best candidate on my team for Earthquake, which I think my team desperately needs since it doesn't have a great counter for Fire and Electric types.

Lapras (Rash, Shell Armor)

Moveset: Ice Beam, Perish Song, Surf, Body Slam

Opinion: Like Kangaskhan, Lapras is very balanced with a good amount of bulk. STAB Ice Beam is a treat and Perish Song helped me through some tough gym battles. His Attack is very close to his Special Attack, so I am debating whether or not I put an Electric move instead of Body Slam.

Raikou (Gentle, Pressure)

Moveset: Thunder, Reflect, Crunch, Shadow Ball

Opinion: Raikou is a slower Special sweeper than Typhlosion with very good Special Defense. Thunder hits real hard and with the right moveset, I think Raikou can be fantastic. Calm Mind in the future for sure.

Overall, I think this is a pretty decent in-game team. With the exception of Fire types and Electric types, I think this team has pretty solid defensive coverage and better offensive coverage. Got all of Kanto to explore so this team can only get better.
Last edited by GodzillaXGomoraFight on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

Just started playing Pokémon Emerald today. It's so far an awesome game.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

ZeppandonConfirmed wrote:Just started playing Pokémon Emerald today. It's so far an awesome game.
Really solid game. Played it several times over haha.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I’m looking for dusk lycanrock, if anyone’s willing to trade, PM me, got loads of cool stuff to offer
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesTurner_42
In case anyone hasn't heard of the unused gen 1 Pokemon that just popped up. :D
Now I want to make actual sprites for these guys in paint. ;)
Last edited by UltimateDitto on Thu May 17, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

UltimateDitto wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesTurner_42
In case anyone hasn't heard of the unused gen 1 Pokemon that just popped up. :D
[]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdZ2TyfX4AAjUIj?format=jpg[/]
[]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdWog9QVMAAWe2e?format=jpg[/]
Now I want to make actual sprites for these guys in paint. ;)
That deer one looks great, shame it went unused.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

From one of Ruffled Rowlets newer videos.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

I ♡ Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think I like the unused crocodile one the most, just because it looks really big eyed. Also, remember gen 1 sprites were notoriously crappy, so even if they looked bad I’m sure they’d look normal with more updated art.

And I really like most of the Gorochu concept art, I’m hoping the new games include it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Am i the only one beyond missed by the lack of a national powered in UMUS
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Let's Go Pikachu and Let's go Eevee officially announced!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Pokemon/stat ... 6498248704

Seems neat, but I will probably skip this one and wait for generation 8.

I ♡ Image