Elder Scrolls series

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Elder Scrolls series

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 am

Can’t belive I couldn’t find this as a topic already. Discuss the Elder Scrolls series! One of my all time favourite video game franchises.

My personal favourite is Oblivion, although I’ll admit the mechanics, dungeon crawling and main questline are stronger in Skyrim - but I love the map of Cyrodill, and each of the four faction questlines, which really made the game for me. The DLC for Oblivion was also excellent, whereas the dlc of Skyrim I found sort of boring.

Still loved Skyrim too though, my favourite part being the civil war questline. I loved just roaming around in uniform and capturing forts or having skirmishes with randomly generated enemy forces in the wildnerness.

I tried ESO, didn’t care for it much personally.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Re: Elder Scrolls series

Postby ShinGi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 am

Brilliant series, cant wait for 6 though i dont that we will see it in this decade

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:16 pm

ShinGi wrote:Brilliant series, cant wait for 6 though i dont that we will see it in this decade

I’ve been reading rumours that it will be announced at this E3, but who knows. It has to come at some point though, right? Skyrim is still
like Bethesda’s biggest game ever.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Postby ShinGi » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:27 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:
ShinGi wrote:Brilliant series, cant wait for 6 though i dont that we will see it in this decade

I’ve been reading rumours that it will be announced at this E3, but who knows. It has to come at some point though, right? Skyrim is still
like Bethesda’s biggest game ever.

Bethesha is rumored to present a new Sci fi RPG called Starfiled at this years E3

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Postby gvamp » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:16 pm

We won't see it at E3. The rumor was that it was going to take place on Summerset but that turned out to be an expansion for ESO. Bethesda will probably announce Doom 2 or Doom 5 depending on how you look at it. Prey DLC and a new IP. I would also imagine they'll announce Fallout 4 VR for PSVR and if MS announces a VR solution at their conference I can see them announcing it for that too along with Skyrim VR.

I don't think we'll see ESVI until 2020 or 2021, it'll get an announcement at the 2019 VGAs or 2020 VGAs just like Skyrim did at the 2010 VGAs
optimum in mundi

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue May 01, 2018 5:55 am

gvamp wrote:We won't see it at E3. The rumor was that it was going to take place on Summerset but that turned out to be an expansion for ESO. Bethesda will probably announce Doom 2 or Doom 5 depending on how you look at it. Prey DLC and a new IP. I would also imagine they'll announce Fallout 4 VR for PSVR and if MS announces a VR solution at their conference I can see them announcing it for that too along with Skyrim VR.

I don't think we'll see ESVI until 2020 or 2021, it'll get an announcement at the 2019 VGAs or 2020 VGAs just like Skyrim did at the 2010 VGAs

Ugh... I mean the rumours I read were different and very recent, but that is all also very possible. I just don’t care about the rest, except a new ip potentially. Send me back to Tamriel, dammit!

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Postby ShinGi » Tue May 01, 2018 6:37 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:
gvamp wrote:We won't see it at E3. The rumor was that it was going to take place on Summerset but that turned out to be an expansion for ESO. Bethesda will probably announce Doom 2 or Doom 5 depending on how you look at it. Prey DLC and a new IP. I would also imagine they'll announce Fallout 4 VR for PSVR and if MS announces a VR solution at their conference I can see them announcing it for that too along with Skyrim VR.

Ugh... I mean the rumours I read were different and very recent, but that is all also very possible. I just don’t care about the rest, except a new ip potentially. Send me back to Tamriel, dammit!

There are also rumors that say that Bethesda is buidling a new engine for the ES6

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue May 01, 2018 10:06 am

What do you guys think of this as a pitch for an Elder Scrolls 6?

- 500 years after Skyrim, the Empire has collapsed and the Aldmeri Dominion has expanded to conquer a lot of new territory. It’s now an 18th/19th century type of setting, but obviously still with all the fantasy of the old games - there are still armour sets and ‘muskets’ only take as long to load as bows did. The Aldmeri Dominion are like a stand-in for Napoleonic France, just overrunning borders and bullying Tamriel into submission. They are opposed only by Hammerfell and High Rock, the latter of which has become powerful from overseas exploration (sort of a stand-in for Britain of the era). The game takes place in Summerset Isle, but you can also take a boat to Hammerfell, where the war front is. That’s just the backdrop though - like all Elder Scrolls games, the main plot is something mostly unrelated involving some magical or daedric super villain. It could be called Elder Scrolls VI: Dominion.

This is entirely my idea and probably not even close to what would happen, but what do you guys think?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue May 01, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Tue May 01, 2018 1:10 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:What do you guys think of this as a pitch for an Elder Scrolls 6?

- 500 years after Skyrim, the Empire has collapsed and the Aldmeri Dominion has expanded to conquer a lot of new territory. It’s now an 18th/19th century type of setting, but obviously still with all the fantasy of the old games - there are still armour sets and ‘muskets’ only take as long to load as bows did. The Aldmeri Dominion are like a stand-in for Napoleonic France, just overrunning borders and bullying Tamriel into submission. They are opposed only by Hammerfell and High Rock, the latter of which has become powerful from overseas exploration (sort of a stand-in for Britain of the era). The game takes place in Summerset Isle, but you can also take a boat to Hammerfell, where the war front is. That’s just the backdrop though - like all Elder Scrolls games, the main plot is something mostly unrelated involving some magical or daedric super villain. It could be called Elder Scrolls VI: Dominion.

This is entirely my idea and probably not even close to what would happen, but what do you guys think?

I imagine the next game be set in Elsweyr.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Postby ShinGi » Tue May 01, 2018 1:30 pm

I think the next game is going to be set in the entire Aldmeri Dominion -Summerset Isles, Elsweyr and Valenwood

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:34 pm

The next game should be much more than just one province. No reason it should just be one region when games have advanced this far. ESO is massive. If they can handle that, they should be able to expand the map size of a main entry in the series.

Has anyone else here played all the main entries? They're all fun in their own way. For me, Skyrim and Morrowind are my favorite entries; albeit, for different reasons. After that I really enjoy Daggerfall, followed by Oblivion, with Arena as my least favorite. But I love them all.

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Sat May 19, 2018 5:56 am

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:The next game should be much more than just one province. No reason it should just be one region when games have advanced this far. ESO is massive. If they can handle that, they should be able to expand the map size of a main entry in the series.

Has anyone else here played all the main entries? They're all fun in their own way. For me, Skyrim and Morrowind are my favorite entries; albeit, for different reasons. After that I really enjoy Daggerfall, followed by Oblivion, with Arena as my least favorite. But I love them all.

I adore Oblivion. I used to play the hell out of it back in High School along with Fallout 3. I still play it on PC every once and a while on Steam with some mods. Skyrim was really fun too, but I'm not that big of a fan of how streamlined the class customization became and the removal of some traits like Athletics, acrobatics, etc. The roleplay elements in Skyrim also feel a bit watered down as well.
ImageBaby free at last! Thank Megatron I'm free at last!

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sat May 19, 2018 9:26 am

Breakdown wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:The next game should be much more than just one province. No reason it should just be one region when games have advanced this far. ESO is massive. If they can handle that, they should be able to expand the map size of a main entry in the series.

I adore Oblivion. I used to play the hell out of it back in High School along with Fallout 3. I still play it on PC every once and a while on Steam with some mods. Skyrim was really fun too, but I'm not that big of a fan of how streamlined the class customization became and the removal of some traits like Athletics, acrobatics, etc. The roleplay elements in Skyrim also feel a bit watered down as well.

Skyrim I would say is superior in combat and the main quest line. Oblivion for me was better in every other way, so it’s my favourite.

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Sat May 19, 2018 1:25 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Breakdown wrote:

Skyrim I would say is superior in combat and the main quest line. Oblivion for me was better in every other way, so it’s my favourite.

Oh definetly, the inclusion of dual weilding, executions and other stuff made Skyrim's combat system much more enjoyable than Oblivion's monotonous "swing your sword until things die". I kinda disagree about the main storyline a bit. I like the whole end times theme it was going for, but my only issue was being the Dragonborn thing. What I liked about Oblivion is that my character was literally a nobody. He was just a normal being with no dormant superpowers or legendary bloodline. I liked having to work to get my character powerful and well respected among the land. In Skyrim that power is kind of just handed to you.
ImageBaby free at last! Thank Megatron I'm free at last!

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat May 19, 2018 4:51 pm

ESO is massive, but it is boring and bland. It is not about world size, but rather how interesting and packed that world is.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sat May 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Breakdown wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
Breakdown wrote:I adore Oblivion. I used to play the hell out of it back in High School along with Fallout 3. I still play it on PC every once and a while on Steam with some mods. Skyrim was really fun too, but I'm not that big of a fan of how streamlined the class customization became and the removal of some traits like Athletics, acrobatics, etc. The roleplay elements in Skyrim also feel a bit watered down as well.

Oh definetly, the inclusion of dual weilding, executions and other stuff made Skyrim's combat system much more enjoyable than Oblivion's monotonous "swing your sword until things die". I kinda disagree about the main storyline a bit. I like the whole end times theme it was going for, but my only issue was being the Dragonborn thing. What I liked about Oblivion is that my character was literally a nobody. He was just a normal being with no dormant superpowers or legendary bloodline. I liked having to work to get my character powerful and well respected among the land. In Skyrim that power is kind of just handed to you.

I agree about the nobody thing, but I would also argue that’s something that is enjoyable about the game as a whole. You start off as this nobody, and then as you complete all the faction quest lines and such you slowly become the Most Awesome Person Ever. (And that’s another thing Oblivon has going for it - the guild quest lines were all excellent).

When I say Skyrim had the better main quest line, I think I just mean that it was made up of more enjoyable levels. The quest to the ancient Blades temple, for example, was quite epic, as was the final showdown. The main quest line in Oblivion was... almost unplayable, for me at least, because of how many times you’d have to do that grindy, grindy, grindy trek through oblivion. The worst part about Oblivon was, ironically, Oblivon.

I’ll say for this for Skyrim though; loved the civil war. Taking forts, having random skirmishes out in the woods - that was all great.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat May 19, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Sat May 19, 2018 11:07 pm

You still have to work to become powerful and respected in Skyrim. You're not recognized by everyone as Dragonborn right off the bat. Just like in Morrowind you have to earn respect to be recognized as the Nerevarine. You're still, essentially, a nobody to begin with. But you uncover your own story as you go along.

I also found it extremely satisfying as a long time Elder Scrolls player to get to actually BE dragon born when you read so much about Talos and the Septim dynasty in previous games.

In terms of story, Morrowind and Skyrim are byfar the best Elder Scrolls games. At least for me. The political climate in those two games are also the most engaging. They're actually similar in a lot of ways. The Ashlanders of Morrowind don't want to be ruled or replaced by an Empire of Men, just as the Stormcloaks of Skyrim don't want to be ruled and replaced by the Aldmeri Dominion.

Oblivion certainly beats out both of those games in terms of guild stories, though. Skyrim has some really cool concepts where its guilds are concerned. But the quest lines are too short.

Beast Blood
Samurai

Postby Beast Blood » Sun May 20, 2018 1:53 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:I’ll say for this for Skyrim though; loved the civil war. Taking forts, having random skirmishes out in the woods - that was all great.

I'm with you there. The Stormcloak quests are my favorites to do beyond the main quests and Skaal quests (love their culture).

I grin every time I come across Imperial soldiers or Thalmor. The glorious mook destruction that ensues. I love it. Onto the pile of slain milk drinkers they go.

I may or may not be a tad bloodthirsty in this game.

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:Oblivion certainly beats out both of those games in terms of guild stories, though. Skyrim has some really cool concepts where its guilds are concerned. But the quest lines are too short.

Yeah, I wish those questlines were longer. I didn't think they were bad, but I wish there was more to them.

Edit: Hey, why don't I give my thoughts on the ES games I played/play to contribute more to this thread?

Morrowind: Never played that one a lot because the quest directions tend to frustrate me more than anything (I once had "where the -censored- is Korst Wind-Eye near Lake Fjalding" in my search history). I adore Solstheim, though. The bears and other fauna and flora, the Skaal and their culture, the werewolves and Hircine, Karstaag, the cozy wooden homes, the pine trees and landscape in general, the people complaining about the cold while I laugh in Nord... so good.
Oblivion: Honestly not sure what to say about this one other than "I like it". I just do. It's simply very fun.
Skyrim: If what I said above about Solstheim didn't clue you in, you'll notice I very much like the snowy, wintery, rugged environments the most. I live in such an environment and revel in it. Skyrim has mountains, snow, pine trees, dragons, bears and vikings, all of which I enjoy, so there you go. It's by far the Elder Scrolls game I play the most. I have a soft spot for Skyrim not only because I find it so fun, but because it's my go-to game to play when I feel sad. It's great to fight depression. Supported me through a lot. The beauty of the land (especially when modded) is nice to just sit and relax to, also. I recall doing homework while having my character chill in his wooden cabin home, listening to the ambient of the howling wind and fireplace... Also, werebears.
ESO: Play that less often than WoW, Fallout 4 and Skyrim, but it's definitely on the list of games I cycle through. I thought it was great until I walked into Wrothgar and came across the echateres. Then it became awesome.
Last edited by Beast Blood on Sun May 20, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun May 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Beast Blood wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I’ll say for this for Skyrim though; loved the civil war. Taking forts, having random skirmishes out in the woods - that was all great.

I'm with you there. The Stormcloak quests are my favorites to do beyond the main quests and Skaal quests (love their culture).

I grin every time I come across Imperial soldiers or Thalmor. The glorious mook destruction that ensues. I love it. Onto the pile of slain milk drinkers they go.

I may or may not be a tad bloodthirsty in this game.

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:Oblivion certainly beats out both of those games in terms of guild stories, though. Skyrim has some really cool concepts where its guilds are concerned. But the quest lines are too short.

Yeah, I wish those questlines were longer. I didn't think they were bad, but I wish there was more to them.

Edit: Hey, why don't I give my thoughts on the ES games I played/play to contribute more to this thread?

Morrowind: Never played that one a lot because the quest directions tend to frustrate me more than anything (I once had "where the -censored- is Korst Wind-Eye near Lake Fjalding" in my search history). I adore Solstheim, though. The bears and other fauna and flora, the Skaal and their culture, the werewolves and Hircine, Karstaag, the cozy wooden homes, the pine trees and landscape in general, the people complaining about the cold while I laugh in Nord... so good.
Oblivion: Honestly not sure what to say about this one other than "I like it". I just do. It's simply very fun.
Skyrim: If what I said above about Solstheim didn't clue you in, you'll notice I very much like the snowy, wintery, rugged environments the most. I live in such an environment and revel in it. Skyrim has mountains, snow, pine trees, dragons, bears and vikings, all of which I enjoy, so there you go. It's by far the Elder Scrolls game I play the most. I have a soft spot for Skyrim not only because I find it so fun, but because it's my go-to game to play when I feel sad. It's great to fight depression. Supported me through a lot. The beauty of the land (especially when modded) is nice to just sit and relax to, also. I recall doing homework while having my character chill in his wooden cabin home, listening to the ambient of the howling wind and fireplace... Also, werebears.
ESO: Play that less often than WoW, Fallout 4 and Skyrim, but it's definitely on the list of games I cycle through. I thought it was great until I walked into Wrothgar and came across the echateres. Then it became awesome.

Totally agree about these games being therapeutic. Skyrim and Oblivion both, just moving around the overworld listening to Jeremy Soule’s amazng score can be so peaceful.

I always play for the Empire though... this is awkward... :lol:

Beast Blood
Samurai

Postby Beast Blood » Mon May 21, 2018 7:59 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:Totally agree about these games being therapeutic. Skyrim and Oblivion both, just moving around the overworld listening to Jeremy Soule’s amazng score can be so peaceful.

How in the world did I forget to mention the music? The music is so good. I hate it when my favorite track in Oblivion gets interrupted by enemies, though (which happens a lot when enemies are so common). Mudcrabs are the worst offenders in that regard. Bandits and animals are fine; I can just turn around and one-shot them. But mudcrabs pop up along the shores a distance away from the road I'm traveling on, are small and hard to see in the foliage and take 30 years to at all move up to me, so it takes way too long to finish the encounter... and then the ambient music resumes, but it's not the track I wanted to listen to. ;-;

I know there are mods that remove the combat music, but the thing is I do like the combat music... just not when it happens to interrupt my favorite song. lol

I always play for the Empire though... this is awkward... :lol:

lmao

Know what's more awkward? Me having to eat my foot, because I thought "if the patriotic guy with the bear icon doesn't fight for the patriotic bear people army, I'm going to eat my foot". So... I have to eat my foot. lol

Return to “Video Game Hub”