DOOM Franchise Discussion Thread

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.

Favorite DOOM?

DOOM
31%
DOOM II
31%
FINAL DOOM
No votes
DOOM 64
8%
DOOM 3
8%
DOOM (2016)
23%

Total votes: 13

g2vd
Kwaidan

DOOM Franchise Discussion Thread

Postby g2vd » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:40 am

So I just bought the DOOM Classic Collection off of Steam.

Anyone play a DOOM before?
Last edited by g2vd on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Re: Doom Franchise Discussion Thread

Postby ZinK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 am

I just got Ultimate Doom and am playing with an HD mod, it's awesome.
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Postby Komenja » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:06 am

I love me some Doom! I mostly play it with Zandronum these days but I still have floppies of Doom 2, and a cartridge of Doom 64 that still gets some love.

Speaking of, Doom 64 isn't on the poll :x
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Postby ZinK » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:26 am

Komenja wrote:I love me some Doom! I mostly play it with Zandronum these days but I still have floppies of Doom 2, and a cartridge of Doom 64 that still gets some love.

Speaking of, Doom 64 isn't on the poll :x

Doom 64 is awesome, I loved the way Pinky looked.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:52 am

While I may not be the biggest FPS fan, much prefer Platformers, Stylish Action, Fighters, etc, I can always go back to some DooM, because I do love this series. Definitely one of the best FPS series, if not the best, and definitely a great showcase of what makes a good FPS. Granted, my favourite FPS still is, and most likely always will be, Perfect Dark Zero but DooM I & II come damn close. No doubt DooM 4 (Still calling 4, not gonna call it DooM 2016, personal preference) will also take a very high spot on my list, might even surpass 1 & 2 for me. I'll probably never play Brutal DooM though, as disappointing as that sounds, due to my bias against PC gaming. Granted, if I can ever get Brutal DooM on my PS3 for the DooM Classic Collection, I'll jump at it.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:59 am

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Granted, my favourite FPS still is, and most likely always will be, Perfect Dark Zero but DooM I & II come damn close. No doubt DooM 4 (Still calling 4, not gonna call it DooM 2016, personal preference) will also take a very high spot on my list, might even surpass 1 & 2 for me. I'll probably never play Brutal DooM though, as disappointing as that sounds, due to my bias against PC gaming. Granted, if I can ever get Brutal DooM on my PS3 for the DooM Classic Collection, I'll jump at it.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22249

Oh well looks like you are never going to enjoy the glories of the Perfect Dark Zero Mod for DOOM.

Join The Dark Side. :xilien:

You know you want to. :lol: MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Godzilla

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:29 am

g2vd wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Granted, my favourite FPS still is, and most likely always will be, Perfect Dark Zero but DooM I & II come damn close. No doubt DooM 4 (Still calling 4, not gonna call it DooM 2016, personal preference) will also take a very high spot on my list, might even surpass 1 & 2 for me. I'll probably never play Brutal DooM though, as disappointing as that sounds, due to my bias against PC gaming. Granted, if I can ever get Brutal DooM on my PS3 for the DooM Classic Collection, I'll jump at it.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22249

Oh well looks like you are never going to enjoy the glories of the Perfect Dark Zero Mod for DOOM.

Join The Dark Side. :xilien:

You know you want to. :lol: MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm good. The revelation of the mod wounds me a little, but it's nothing major. Throw in a MGSV PDZ mod and I might need a Senzu bean, well half of one anyway, but consoles and handhelds still come first for me. I have no interest in the Xbone however, so PC automatically ranks higher than Microsoft's consoles: so you win there. Let Rare go, Microsoft, set them free... I couldn't care less about Banjo or Battletoads but I want my PD and Conker, give or take KI...

OT: So, opinions on DooM 4, anyone? Game looks awesome and I'm definitely picking it up when I get a PS4.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:23 am

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:I'm good. The revelation of the mod wounds me a little, but it's nothing major. Throw in a MGSV PDZ mod.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/metal-gear-doom

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:and I might need a Senzu bean, well half of one anyway

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36369
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=32851

And that is not even mentioning all the Sonic Mods and Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Star Trek mods.

Dark Side. Join.
Godzilla

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:37 pm

g2vd wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:I'm good. The revelation of the mod wounds me a little, but it's nothing major. Throw in a MGSV PDZ mod.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/metal-gear-doom

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:and I might need a Senzu bean, well half of one anyway

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36369
https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=32851

And that is not even mentioning all the Sonic Mods and Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Star Trek mods.

Dark Side. Join.

Sonic and DooM do not mix. DBZ and DooM do not mix. No sell. I have Battlefront 2 and both Force Unleashed games, don't need SW DooM mods. Don't care for Ghostbustes, I dislike Star Trek. Don't need those. I have all MG games, why would I need a MGS DooM mod? When I said MGSV PDZ mod, where did DooM factor in?

You have failed me for the last time.

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:33 pm

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Sonic and DooM do not mix.

Oh really?
http://www.srb2.org/

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:No sell. I have Battlefront 2

Think of the glory Protheus.
Godzilla

BurningGMK54
Yin-Yang Master

Postby BurningGMK54 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:53 pm

I don't see Doom64 or Final Doom on that poll.
Son, you disappoint me.

Edit: I now see Doom64 and Final Doom on that poll.
Son, you've made me proud.
My entire experience at TohoKingdom before 2015 can be summed up like this:
I joined, said some REALLY dumb s***, and then disappeared.

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Re: DOOM Franchise Discussion Thread

Postby ZinK » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Could somebody tell me the difference between Ultimate Doom and Doom?

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Postby Komenja » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:19 pm

ZinK wrote:Could somebody tell me the difference between Ultimate Doom and Doom?

Ultimate Doom was a retail version of Doom that included a new episode: ''Thy Flesh Consumed''
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Postby ZinK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Komenja wrote:
ZinK wrote:Could somebody tell me the difference between Ultimate Doom and Doom?

Ultimate Doom was a retail version of Doom that included a new episode: ''Thy Flesh Consumed''

Thanks, that's the one I just got a few days ago.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
G-Grasper

Postby GodzillaXGomoraFight » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:29 pm

I've played the XBOX Arcade version of Doom for my XBOX 360. I had a ton of fun playing the game co-op and I felt that for an old game it was kinda creepy. Hoping to eventually get my hands on the new Doom. That game looks so cool.

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:25 am

So does anyone have a favorite DOOM Mod?
Godzilla

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:16 am

g2vd wrote:So does anyone have a favorite DOOM Mod?

Brutal DooM and Sonic Robo Blast 2. (Inb4 somebody jokingly (or not...) says HDooM)

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:53 am

Holy Hell!

That's what Brutal DOOM is?! I thought it was just a difficulty mod with Gore Effects and a few new additions like Melee Attacks, I didn't know it was like that.

I mean it's beautiful, disgusting, sadist levels of coolness.
Godzilla

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:58 am

g2vd wrote:Holy Hell!

That's what Brutal DOOM is?! I thought it was just a difficulty mod with Gore Effects and a few new additions like Melee Attacks, I didn't know it was like that.

I mean it's beautiful, disgusting, sadist levels of coolness.

Brutal DooM is a masterpiece of what not only you can do with the DooM engine but modding in general.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Postby Komenja » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 pm

To be fair, most of the technical aspects of the mod are actually just from the sourceport needed to run it, such as Zandronum, ZDoom, Odamex, and many others. Beyond the fatalities, new sounds, custom animations for gore and enemy behavior, most of the stuff people attribute to Brutal Doom is actually the work of other people and mods.
Resized Image

Return to “Video Game Hub”