The Sonic The Hedgehog thread

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Sonic The Hedgehog thread

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Ehh, Eggman and Shadow in Adventure 2 had pretty good voice acting, granted Mike Pollock is the ultimately superior Eggman and Jason Griffith's 06 Shadow voice is the definitive Shadow voice in my opinion: determined, strong, heroic, and sympathetic when he needed to be, Shadow's voice was the best in 06.

He is truly is the best part of 06; great voice, best story, fantastic character development, best companions with Omega and Rouge who also get plenty of character, and Mephiles, in my opinion, is an intimidating and cool villain. Hell, his chaos powers and melee attacks are nice additions as well, shame he didn't keep his gunplay though.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Postby F4ZaTE_X » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Mike Pollock is best Eggman
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:56 pm

In all honesty, Deem Bristow was the definitive Dr. Eggman, he could play the character as truly menacing or lightly comical without missing a beat.

Mike Pollock does amazing work though, he's easily my favorite VA out of all the post-Sonic X voice casts.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Postby F4ZaTE_X » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:09 am

Ivo-goji wrote:Deem Bristow was the definitive Dr. Eggman

FIGHT ME
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 am

I'm still annoyed that they changed Shadow's voice/personality from a calm, intelligent, and pained one to... Whatever the cringeworthy, edge-lord he is now.

#BotM

soulgodzilla
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby soulgodzilla » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:57 am

Godzilla165 wrote:I'm still annoyed that they changed Shadow's voice/personality from a calm, intelligent, and pained one to... Whatever the cringeworthy, edge-lord he is now.

Finally I'm not the only person who despised Shadow's amnesia and brooding personality!

But yeah, Shadow and Eggman I guess are the only ones with okay voice actors, probably the second and third best voice actors in the Adventures games next to Gamma. But for everyone else (especially Amy and Tails) all sound so lifeless.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:30 pm

soulgodzilla wrote:
Godzilla165 wrote:I'm still annoyed that they changed Shadow's voice/personality from a calm, intelligent, and pained one to... Whatever the cringeworthy, edge-lord he is now.

Finally I'm not the only person who despised Shadow's amnesia and brooding personality!

But yeah, Shadow and Eggman I guess are the only ones with okay voice actors, probably the second and third best voice actors in the Adventures games next to Gamma. But for everyone else (especially Amy and Tails) all sound so lifeless.

Actually he was refering to Kirk Thornton's Shadow. Kirk has voiced Shadow since Free Riders. David Humphrey was SA2 to Heroes and sounded whiny. Jason Griffith was ShtH to Black Knight, and from 06 onward Jason was the perfect Shadow voice. Kirk is doing a very bad, early Vegeta impression.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:39 pm

Thornton is also my least favorite Shadow.

Personally I liked David Humphrey's performance, though when I imagine Shadow what I picture is really his post Sonic X voice.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:54 pm

I liked Humphry too, but he also sounded too 'young' in a sense. Jason nailed what Shadow should sound like by 06.

soulgodzilla
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby soulgodzilla » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:17 pm

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:

Actually he was refering to Kirk Thornton's Shadow. Kirk has voiced Shadow since Free Riders. David Humphrey was SA2 to Heroes and sounded whiny. Jason Griffith was ShtH to Black Knight, and from 06 onward Jason was the perfect Shadow voice. Kirk is doing a very bad, early Vegeta impression.

Oh. I see what you mean.

I don't know if I'm the only or first person to say this. But the more I hear people hate Shadow because hes either too edgy or hes the reason why we have the Sonic recolors OC or whatever, the more I imagine what if instead of Shadow, we have a mobian version of the Biolizard take his role.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:24 pm

soulgodzilla wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:Finally I'm not the only person who despised Shadow's amnesia and brooding personality!

Oh. I see what you mean.

I don't know if I'm the only or first person to say this. But the more I hear people hate Shadow because hes either too edgy or hes the reason why we have the Sonic recolors OC or whatever, the more I imagine what if instead of Shadow, we have a mobian version of the Biolizard take his role.

I'd rather put up with shitty fan characters. Shadow can be the best character in the series when he's written well... it's just tgat we only really get to see that in games like Battle and 06. I'm m not counting Black Knight because that was Lancelot and he didn't receive enough focus in SA2 to warrant being a really good and deep character.

soulgodzilla
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby soulgodzilla » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:33 pm

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:Actually he was refering to Kirk Thornton's Shadow. Kirk has voiced Shadow since Free Riders. David Humphrey was SA2 to Heroes and sounded whiny. Jason Griffith was ShtH to Black Knight, and from 06 onward Jason was the perfect Shadow voice. Kirk is doing a very bad, early Vegeta impression.

Oh. I see what you mean.

I'd rather put up with shitty fan characters. Shadow can be the best character in the series when he's written well... it's just tgat we only really get to see that in games like Battle and 06. I'm m not counting Black Knight because that was Lancelot and he didn't receive enough focus in SA2 to warrant being a really good and deep character.

Written well, I can see why. But character design wise including his species, I like it, but I can see why some people might not like it.

Thats why I imagine what if instead of being a black and red hedgehog, hes a mobian version of the Biolizard. Besides, I think we have plenty of characters that are either hedgehogs or look like Sonic. Aside from any of the characters that appeared in shows or comics, we have Sonic, Amy, Silver and several robotic doppelgängers of Sonic himself like Metal Sonic, Silver Sonic, Mecha Sonic, etc.

What I'm trying to say without causing a argument, is wouldn't it hurt to have one mobian that isn't a hedgehog? Or at least isn't a mammal?

I know we have Espio and Vector, but thats about it.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:42 pm

It's the 'Saiyans do everything' problem, Hedgehogs are the most important of all Mobians in the series: something we have to put up with. The Echidnas do come in as a close second though.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Eh, the only games that really over expose the Hedgehogs are Sonic Next Gen and Sonic Generations (sort of, it's two versions of Sonic that do everything in that game). SA, SA2, Heroes, Battle, and the Riders series are pretty balanced, and in the Rush games Blaze and Sonic are on equal footing. Other games like Unleashed and Colors only feel like this because they feature few characters to begin with.

I'd be pleased if we had another fighting game like Sonic Battle, with a large cast and a storymode for each character. Would especially like to see the Chaotix in such a game, they've only had bit parts since Sonic Heroes.
Resized Image

soulgodzilla
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby soulgodzilla » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:11 pm

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:It's the 'Saiyans do everything' problem, Hedgehogs are the most important of all Mobians in the series: something we have to put up with. The Echidnas do come in as a close second though.

So what you're saying is that Sonic, Shadow, Silver and Knuckles (and maybe Amy if possible) are the only characters that can gain access to their Super forms, yet Tails can also turn into Super Tails in Sonic 3.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:15 pm

soulgodzilla wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:It's the 'Saiyans do everything' problem, Hedgehogs are the most important of all Mobians in the series: something we have to put up with. The Echidnas do come in as a close second though.

So what you're saying is that Sonic, Shadow, Silver and Knuckles (and maybe Amy if possible) are the only characters that can gain access to their Super forms, yet Tails can also turn into Super Tails in Sonic 3.

Whilst I'd say Super Tails is non-canon I wouldn't say only Hedgehogs can go Super. No, Knuckles can clearly go Super as can some Robots like Mecha Sonic. I'd go as far to say that as long as they can use Chaos energy, anybody can go Super with the Chaos Emeralds: even humans. The Hedgehogs just get all the main focus and Sonic, Shadow and Silver are all very clearly the strongest characters.

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:38 pm

Obviously the hedgehogs have been made out to be the strongest and fastest characters, and it's been that way for awhile now. Especially when it comes to Sonic.

#BotM

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:46 pm

And I honestly don't have a problem with the focus being Sonic, Shadow and Silver as long as the others are at least consistently portrayed well and treated with respect. Hell, I think Shadow and especially Silver don't get near enough focus these days: its primarily the Sonic show. And whilst I like Sonic and love his character arc of accepting the hard truth of life and death after Perfect Chaos drowned a lot of Station Square's residents, he was naive enough to think he could always save everyone, up to Black Knight where he tells Merlina she has to accept her world and its peoples' inevitable deaths: showing Merlina has Sonic's old naivete and he's now mature enough to know you can't save everyone, as much as I love that character arc: Shadow and Silver need some spotlight, especially Silver. Silver could be a great, no-nonsense character if they developed him as well as they have Sonic and Shadow in the past.

soulgodzilla
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby soulgodzilla » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Godzilla165 wrote:Obviously the hedgehogs have been made out to be the strongest and fastest characters, and it's been that way for awhile now. Especially when it comes to Sonic.

I can understand if Sonic, Shadow and Silver are the strongest characters in the series. But what I rather not see is the Hedgehog race are the most fastest, strongest and most powerful mobian species in Mobius.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:55 pm

^Again, it only seems that way in like one game in the series, it's not true most of the time. Although Sonic himself is indeed very strong.

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:

Whilst I'd say Super Tails is non-canon I wouldn't say only Hedgehogs can go Super. No, Knuckles can clearly go Super as can some Robots like Mecha Sonic. I'd go as far to say that as long as they can use Chaos energy, anybody can go Super with the Chaos Emeralds: even humans. The Hedgehogs just get all the main focus and Sonic, Shadow and Silver are all very clearly the strongest characters.

Super Tails was in S3&K, Sonic Heroes, and the modern re-release of Sonic 2. He's definitely canon.

Also I'd rank Knuckles as stronger than Silver.

Added in 3 minutes 51 seconds:
Silver doesn't strike me as being particularly strong at all with regards to the rest of the cast. Add to that the fact that Shadow is an artificial lifeform... eh, Hedgehogs aren't especially strong, Sonic himself is the only strong 'normal' Hedgehog.
Resized Image

Return to “Video Game Hub”