Earth Defense Force/EDF Series Thread II

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Earth Defense Force/EDF Series Thread II

Postby GIGAN05 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:52 am

Well ... after digging through it appears the original thread was deleted.

On topic, Shadow Of New Despair finally got released in the UK last Friday. After playing a solid 6 hours this is pretty much an upgraded 2025 with some scenery and lighting touches. The controls feel tighter then previous Gen as well.

But that is not a bad thing, you know the tunnel missions? They have applied proper lighting as if your going down into a pitch black cave with only head lights to guide you. Definitely added a layer of atmosphere for when the bugs try to get you. Plus, the A.I has gotten a wee bit smarter. The Wing Diver ailles will boost up before hitting the ground from an attack. Also, at long last, artillery vehicles have been added. It caught me off guard when A.I driven tanks started coming out of no where :lol:

But ... one the biggest and newest addition, the thing I was looking forward the most was the welcome return of Giant Monsters! Encountered the first one and holy crap that thing is a different ball game compared to the bugs.

Say hello to Erginus!

The best part however (I have yet to reach this mission) and the most highlighted feature of this version ...
Giant Monster On Giant Mech battles!

Im soo hyped for that mission ...

With that, Shadow Of New Despair is THE definitive Earth Defense Force game. Highly recomended if you have a PS4.
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

g2vd
Kwaidan

Re: Earth Defense Force/EDF Series Thread II

Postby g2vd » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:01 am

Man, I loved playing Earth Defense Force 2017 on my old Xbox 360, Insect Armageddon on the other hand..not so much

I really wish Earth2017 had been released on the PS3, because ever since my old Xbox Red-Ringed I haven't been able to play them since.
Godzilla

GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Postby GIGAN05 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:04 am

g2vd wrote:Man, I loved playing Earth Defense Force 2017 on my old Xbox 360, Insect Armageddon on the other hand..not so much

I really wish Earth2017 had been released on the PS3, because ever since my old Xbox Red-Ringed I haven't been able to play them since.

2025 saw a PS3 release and is the sequel to 2017 ;).
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:18 am

GIGAN05 wrote:
g2vd wrote:Man, I loved playing Earth Defense Force 2017 on my old Xbox 360, Insect Armageddon on the other hand..not so much

Wait..it had a PS3 release..COOL!! I thought it was only for Next-Gen Consoles this whole time, awesome!

Edit: Wait, there's a PSVita Earth2017 on the PS3 store is it exactly like the 360 version or are there big differences?
Godzilla

GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Postby GIGAN05 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:23 am

g2vd wrote:
GIGAN05 wrote:

Wait..it had a PS3 release..COOL!! I thought it was only for Next-Gen Consoles this whole time, awesome!

Edit: Wait, there's a PSVita Earth2017 on the PS3 store is it exactly like the 360 version or are there big differences?

No, 4.1 Shadow Of New Despair is the upgraded 2025 for Next gen. So your in luck!

And in regards to that, cant say ... Only heard about them just recently.
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

Dino-Mario
Interpol Agent

Postby Dino-Mario » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Well, that seems great! You see, i've always enjoyed EDF series, shooting down aliens and monsters with crazy designs and an epic soundtrack to boot, the perfect kind of game to have fun on weekends! Plus, it brings me some Metal Slug flashbacks.
Image Image

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:44 am

GIGAN05 wrote:No, 4.1 Shadow Of New Despair is the upgraded 2025 for Next gen. So your in luck!

Cool! and it's only $14 at GameStop, while I have been trying to save up to get a PS4 that might just be too good to pass up.
Godzilla

GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Postby GIGAN05 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:31 pm

g2vd wrote:
GIGAN05 wrote:No, 4.1 Shadow Of New Despair is the upgraded 2025 for Next gen. So your in luck!

Cool! and it's only $14 at GameStop, while I have been trying to save up to get a PS4 that might just be too good to pass up.

Do it. Heck that's a STEAL right there.

Some of the EDF 4.1 DLC:

Those green ants, jesus christ.
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Postby Komenja » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:08 pm

EDf 4.1 is one of the main reasons I got a PS4. 2017 and 2025 were so fun, and 4.1 is such a huge improvement over 2025!

Wait, there's a PSVita Earth2017 on the PS3 store is it exactly like the 360 version or are there big differences?

The PSVita version is the same game as 2017, but it has a second character class, the Pale Wing, returning from EDF 2. You unlock her after beating all the missions as the Ranger on any difficulty.

On the Vita there's also Earth Defense Force: Invaders from Planet Space, which is a re-release of EDF 2 that added the Air Raider from 2025 into it's roster of characters.
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Postby GIGAN05 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Bumping this thread because LASER CHAINSAW motherskreeonkers!!!!!

Worth the farm grind.
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Postby Komenja » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:43 pm

HEADS UP! Earth Defense Force 4.1 is coming to Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410320/
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Postby GIGAN05 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:02 am

Komenja wrote:HEADS UP! Earth Defense Force 4.1 is coming to Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410320/

... The mods, THE MODS...

Someone rip the Godzilla models from the PS3 game quick!!!
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Postby Komenja » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:52 pm

EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5 ANNOUNCED!

GIANT FROG MEN WITH LASER CANNONS! ANTS THAT DEPLOY FROM SKY SPEARS! NEW MECHS!

EDF! EDF! EDF!
Resized Image

GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Postby GIGAN05 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:10 am

In addition ... MASER TANKS, NEW KAIJU, BEING ABLE TO SPRINT.

I cannot get over that skreeonking frog!!!

Please bring this to steam D3!!!
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Postby Zilla103192 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:39 pm

That Spiky kaiju is awesome! And I LOVE that sprinting is finally being added.

I need this game

EDIT:

Decided to toss 4.1 in again, and you know what the series desperately needs? A "Finish Level" button.

When you complete the objective of the level, it automatically ends, and fades out. But there's always unclaimed loot. When you complete the level, you should still be allowed to run around and gather all of your drops, then end the level (via a button in the pause menu or something) once you finish getting them. Or do what Monster Hunter does and allow you a certain amount of time before the level is over to grab as much loot as you can.

I just finished a round against Red/Silver Ants, Jumping Spiders AND Wasps, and had SO MANY loot boxes lying around, but I couldn't grab more then a few of the ones that were near me before the level faded out. That was irritating.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Postby GIGAN05 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:43 am

Zilla103192 wrote:That Spiky kaiju is awesome! And I LOVE that sprinting is finally being added.

I need this game

EDIT:

Decided to toss 4.1 in again, and you know what the series desperately needs? A "Finish Level" button.

When you complete the objective of the level, it automatically ends, and fades out. But there's always unclaimed loot. When you complete the level, you should still be allowed to run around and gather all of your drops, then end the level (via a button in the pause menu or something) once you finish getting them. Or do what Monster Hunter does and allow you a certain amount of time before the level is over to grab as much loot as you can.

I just finished a round against Red/Silver Ants, Jumping Spiders AND Wasps, and had SO MANY loot boxes lying around, but I couldn't grab more then a few of the ones that were near me before the level faded out. That was irritating.

That's why I try to leave 1 alive so farming them all is possible.
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Postby Zilla103192 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:42 pm

I usually try to leave one too... then some jackass npc blows it to bits!
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Postby GIGAN05 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Zilla103192 wrote:I usually try to leave one too... then some jackass npc blows it to bits!

And thats why I go renegade :twisted:.
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Postby Komenja » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:17 am

New Gematsu article: http://gematsu.com/2016/11/earth-defense-force-5-details-new-actions-giant-grey-aliens-mysterious-monsters

Cliff notes: EDF starts out as a Civilian Militia, Characters have new abilities (Ranger can sprint, Wing Diver has a boost to close distance and evade attacks; Fencer and Air Raider still unconfirmed), giant robot-like enemies can have their helmets shot off to reveal they are really Grey Aliens, new kaiju Archeluth has a rolling attack like Angy's Thunderball and can shoot projectiles from it's back.

Spoiler:

edit: put pics in spoiler tag.

Added in 11 hours 51 minutes 11 seconds:
Sorry for double post seriously you nurds, get in here and get hype about EDF but MOAR NEWS! The Fencer is confirmed to return, and he looks great! Love the redesign.

Spoiler:
Resized Image

Resized Image

Added in 32 minutes 21 seconds:
Air Raider is back for EDF5, with an even sillier helmet! The whole gang's back together, and should be ready to save the world this summer in Japan! I've heard rumors it'll be released overseas in September, but no confirmation yet. Gematsu article

Air Raider's getting some nice quality of life improvements in EDF5. The "designation" for Air Strikes makes it sound like you can confirm or cancel an air strike after you throw/shoot the marker, so you can avoid killing your entire team "on accident." And his rolling/bouncing bombs can now lock on to targets and maneuver around obstacles!

The new Nyx mech is pretty much just a thin Vegalta, but it looks like it might handle better. And of course, the maser tanks still look wonderful!
Resized Image

Saansilt
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Saansilt » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:18 pm

I really do enjoy 4.1. But dangnabbit is command a bunch of idiots. Assaulting the nest underground? Since when does man get outsmarted by ants?
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.

Chris55 wrote:Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?

My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Return to “Video Game Hub”