DARK SOULS/BLOODBORNE

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

DARK SOULS/BLOODBORNE

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Any fellow dark souls players here? I've played Demon Souls, Dark Soulss, and Dark Souls 2 obsessively. I've beaten each maybe three or four times in new game pluses and I've done the dlc for both 1&2. Which is your favorite entry in the series?

And also are you excited for Bloodborne? I'm not expecting a souls clone so I understand it'll be different but I'm hyped. It's the game that's forcing me to buy a next gen console.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Re: DARK SOULS/BLOODBORNE

Postby Young Guy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:58 am

I'm pretty hyped about Bloodborne. Hope it's as good as it looks.

MysticalDL
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MysticalDL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 am

I loved Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 immensely, but Dark Souls 2 is a steaming pile of glitchy poop.

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:11 am

MysticalDL wrote:I loved Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 immensely, but Dark Souls 2 is a steaming pile of glitchy poop.

Hmm, I won't really care if you don't like it but why? I'm honestly curious. I've heard people praise demon souls but not dark souls or dark souls 2.
I know Dark Souls 2 didn't have all of the same devs as the first dark souls but bloodborne will. I personally really like Dark Souls 2 because I felt that dodging was a lot tighter and the running ability was really useful.

I do agree with the common complaints that a lot of bosses from Dark Souls 2 were just big men with swords as opposed to demonic monsters or creatures which is a bit sad. However I think if you include Dark Souls 2 DLC as part of it it's way better because the DLC areas were all really cool and I liked their boss fights.

MysticalDL
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MysticalDL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:47 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
MysticalDL wrote:I loved Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 immensely, but Dark Souls 2 is a steaming pile of glitchy poop.

Hmm, I won't really care if you don't like it but why? I'm honestly curious. I've heard people praise demon souls but not dark souls or dark souls 2.
I know Dark Souls 2 didn't have all of the same devs as the first dark souls but bloodborne will. I personally really like Dark Souls 2 because I felt that dodging was a lot tighter and the running ability was really useful.

I do agree with the common complaints that a lot of bosses from Dark Souls 2 were just big men with swords as opposed to demonic monsters or creatures which is a bit sad. However I think if you include Dark Souls 2 DLC as part of it it's way better because the DLC areas were all really cool and I liked their boss fights.

DS2 has too many reoccuring bosses.
Too many bosses as to where you can repeat the same boring strategy as you used to beat a previous boss.
DS2 has zero difficulty, all of the bosses are too blatantly easy.
Heide Knights are horrible substitute for DS1's Black Knights, as Heide Knights are infinitely easier.
DS2 storyline is below subpar, and borderline garbage.
PvP is extremely laggy, has horrible hitboxes, and skreeonked up parry & backstab mechanics.
DEX & STR builds are practically unusable in DS2, as the buffs for hitting 40 or 50 suck compared to FTH & INT's buffs.

I'll end my rant there even though that's only about 60% of DS2's problems.

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:48 pm

I'll accept your criticism and I do actually agree. However because I invested so much time into the game I feel internally forced to like it. I started playing Dark Souls late, I had no idea DS2 was even a thing and bought it a few weeks before it came out. As a result I never got to experience DS1 PVP fully which is a shame.

I will say my first run of Dark Souls was the most nightmarish experience I've ever had and it was an absolute uphill struggle throughout. Because it was so difficult I felt absolutely amazing getting through it and was so surprised at how little I knew about the game. I loved the difficulty curve of it being super super hard as a newb and then just hard as a pro.
For starters for my first play through here's a bunch of mistakes I made:

-I never used any weapon beyond the basic straight sword.
-Never got the ring you use to help you through the swamp area.
-Didn't bother learning any magic that might have helped me out even a little.
-Never got the item box.
-Never knew how to properly use a shield.
-Accidentally triggered an important npc to become hostile. Had no idea how to make them forgive me.
Finally this is the most embarrassing. You know those skeletons in the beginning by fire link shrine? Guess who grinded on them early on for six hours thinking that was the proper way to go! ...and they didn't even drop good EXP. People said it was a hard game so I assumed that was the right way.

MysticalDL
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MysticalDL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:00 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'll accept your criticism and I do actually agree. However because I invested so much time into the game I feel internally forced to like it. I started playing Dark Souls late, I had no idea DS2 was even a thing and bought it a few weeks before it came out. As a result I never got to experience DS1 PVP fully which is a shame.

I will say my first run of Dark Souls was the most nightmarish experience I've ever had and it was an absolute uphill struggle throughout. Because it was so difficult I felt absolutely amazing getting through it and was so surprised at how little I knew about the game. I loved the difficulty curve of it being super super hard as a newb and then just hard as a pro.
For starters for my first play through here's a bunch of mistakes I made:

-I never used any weapon beyond the basic straight sword.
-Never got the ring you use to help you through the swamp area.
-Didn't bother learning any magic that might have helped me out even a little.
-Never got the item box.
-Never knew how to properly use a shield.
-Accidentally triggered an important npc to become hostile. Had no idea how to make them forgive me.
Finally this is the most embarrassing. You know those skeletons in the beginning by fire link shrine? Guess who grinded on them early on for six hours thinking that was the proper way to go! ...and they didn't even drop good EXP. People said it was a hard game so I assumed that was the right way.

I invested around 300 hours into DS2 in the past, but I don't feel forced into defending a shitty game. What makes it worst is that DS2 felt like 70% finished product or less when released due to it's issues.

I remember my first time in DS1 encountering a Black Knight w/Ultra Greatsword, I remember seeing him one moment, and the next moment I was sent soaring in the air to my death.

I loved the Black Knight & Silver Knight armor sets in DS1 and each max upgraded.

NSZ
E.S.P.Spy

Postby NSZ » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Ah, Demon's Souls. The only game to make me wish I had asked for a PS3 instead of a 360. :lol: :(

And while I have Dark Souls, I haven't exactly gotten that feel for it quite yet. But this tends to happen to me whenver I bring an RPG home, I play it for a day, not get the feeling for it, stop, not touch it for months, pick it up again, and suddenly I get the feel for it.

But then again, it could be that I actually just suck at video games. :lol:

However, from videos I've watched, I can say that Dark Souls is something beautiful.

Now, while I don't have Dark Souls 2, I think that FROM probably should have waited until at least the Crown Trilogy content was completed. The vanilla release really does seem like an incomplete product, and the Crown Trilogy and Scholar of the First Sin's content seem to fill that void.

Will be eagerly awaiting videos of Bloodborne. :lol: :(
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

MysticalDL
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MysticalDL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:42 pm

NSZ wrote:Ah, Demon's Souls. The only game to make me wish I had asked for a PS3 instead of a 360. :lol: :(

And while I have Dark Souls, I haven't exactly gotten that feel for it quite yet. But this tends to happen to me whenver I bring an RPG home, I play it for a day, not get the feeling for it, stop, not touch it for months, pick it up again, and suddenly I get the feel for it.

But then again, it could be that I actually just suck at video games. :lol:

However, from videos I've watched, I can say that Dark Souls is something beautiful.

Now, while I don't have Dark Souls 2, I think that FROM probably should have waited until at least the Crown Trilogy content was completed. The vanilla release really does seem like an incomplete product, and the Crown Trilogy and Scholar of the First Sin's content seem to fill that void.

Will be eagerly awaiting videos of Bloodborne. :lol: :(

I suggest avoiding DS2 like as if it's the blaque plague.

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:22 am

Oh I meant to reply to the Black Knight remark. Yeah it sucks how DS2 had no central area. I loved how you would occasionally encounter them early on as optional mini bosses but then you got to Anor Londo and they became regular enemies. Heisei knights sucked, at least the normal variations. I really liked the Drakekeepers and the giant guys with swords in the dragon shrine but I know some of them were buggy. The black knights were better thematically and as difficult enemies. They could have just given the black knights a reskin as Heide knights and I think everyone would have liked it a lot better.

Also Demon Souls and Godzilla for the ps3 are what forced me to buy a ps3.
I liked a lot of areas in demon souls a lot but it becomes apparent how inspired a lot of dark souls areas and enemies are. I liked how arcadey it was with different levels but the game felt much easier.

MysticalDL
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MysticalDL » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:26 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Oh I meant to reply to the Black Knight remark. Yeah it sucks how DS2 had no central area. I loved how you would occasionally encounter them early on as optional mini bosses but then you got to Anor Londo and they became regular enemies. Heisei knights sucked, at least the normal variations. I really liked the Drakekeepers and the giant guys with swords in the dragon shrine but I know some of them were buggy. The black knights were better thematically and as difficult enemies. They could have just given the black knights a reskin as Heide knights and I think everyone would have liked it a lot better.

Also Demon Souls and Godzilla for the ps3 are what forced me to buy a ps3.
I liked a lot of areas in demon souls a lot but it becomes apparent how inspired a lot of dark souls areas and enemies are. I liked how arcadey it was with different levels but the game felt much easier.

Silver Knights are the regular enemies in Anor Londo, Black Knights are exclusively chance encounters until you reach the end game area of DS1 that contains Lord Gywn.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Young Guy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:56 am

They re-released Dark Souls 2 for next gen . Will they do the same for the other Souls games?

MysticalDL
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MysticalDL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:04 pm

Young Guy wrote:They re-released Dark Souls 2 for next gen . Will they do the same for the other Souls games?

No, Dark Souls 1 & Demon Souls are old PS3 games. There would be little to no profit from porting those games onto PS4 or XBox One.

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:17 am

I'm very confused of Scholar of the First Sin.
Apparently they added a new boss you fight after Nashandra if you meet certain requirements. But is this in the patch or do I need the full next gen version?

MysticalDL
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MysticalDL » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:07 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I'm very confused of Scholar of the First Sin.
Apparently they added a new boss you fight after Nashandra if you meet certain requirements. But is this in the patch or do I need the full next gen version?

Probably a DLC for both, although I doubt the new class will offer anything good enough to make DS2 a less stagnant game.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Young Guy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Any details on the rumoured "beast mode" in Bloodborne?

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:53 am

Just got bloodborne and a ps4, so far it's great. If you liked demon souls then you'll love this. The interface and everything is very familiar. Bonfire type stuff is back, everything is good.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Young Guy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:37 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Just got bloodborne and a ps4, so far it's great. If you liked demon souls then you'll love this. The interface and everything is very familiar. Bonfire type stuff is back, everything is good.

It doesn't come out till Friday here in Britain. I just hope I can afford it because I gave a lot of my money to my brother and I just recently pre-ordered MKX.

LSD Jellyfish
EDF Soldier

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:00 am

Young Guy wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Just got bloodborne and a ps4, so far it's great. If you liked demon souls then you'll love this. The interface and everything is very familiar. Bonfire type stuff is back, everything is good.

It doesn't come out till Friday here in Britain. I just hope I can afford it because I gave a lot of my money to my brother and I just recently pre-ordered MKX.

Oh man, don't remind me, I need to get MKX too. Suddenly the PS4 has games I want!
Also I won't be posting any spoilers just stuff about the first area. It's really nicely designed and feels gigantic. The combat was more hack and slashy but you still have dodge buttons. There's no more estus but instead a healing item that is easy to find with a cap of 20 to prevent abuse.

I'll also say the game is a lot scarier than demon souls and dark souls. There's a lot of horror sound effects and the enemies look way creepier. The whole atmosphere is much more dreary.

My only hopes is that the game gets more diverse as it goes on. Not gameplay wise but area wise because I've only seen this first basic town area and I have no clue what comes after it.

gvamp
E.S.P.Spy

Postby gvamp » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:06 pm

I'm getting the game on Friday probably starting it Saturday. The game is easier than the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls games isn't it?
optimum in mundi

Return to “Video Game Hub”