Star Wars battlefront

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Star Wars battlefront

Postby Zarm » Fri May 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Alas, poor Battlefront.

...But perhaps this could be an opportunity? Might it be time to finally move back into other genres of gaming, like starfighter combat sims, strategy games, or any of the many other entries that used to all be part of the spectrum of Star Wars gaming products?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Thu May 17, 2018 5:12 am

This game is a dumpster fire of controversy. My interest in the game has died down significantly due to the severe lack of content (Namely new weapons and heroes. Where's my T-21 blaster???). Instead we get pointless hero skins and DLC nobody wanted from a movie nobody wanted (Solo). Unless they stop milking the original trilogy and give us a huge Clone Wars content update (weapons, heroes, maps, customization, etc), I'm not touching this game for a while.
ImageBaby free at last! Thank Megatron I'm free at last!

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Postby The Godzilla King » Thu May 17, 2018 11:37 am

Ahh, about the T-21...

It, along with a bunch of other things (Clone skins, extra star cards, more emotes, etc...), has been sitting around in the files since launch. The T-21 has a ridiculous fire rate but that's like the easiest fix ever.

One thing I do appreciate about the latest patch is the improved loading times. Not that it matters much since I hardly play this game anymore but still a good change. The downside is that they completely broke mods. But there's still such a minuscule amount of content added in the latest patch. The next half of the season better be worth the wait.
Long live the King

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm

The classic Battlefront games are out for digital download on xbox one and steam. These games are obsolete now

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 pm

The Godzilla King wrote:Ahh, about the T-21...

That...infuriates me. All this sitting in the files and they can't be bothered to add whats already there.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Postby The Godzilla King » Fri May 18, 2018 12:20 pm

As if that wasn't lazy enough, take a look at this issue with the Zabrak skin, which was present in the files since the beta:

It's pretty funny how they had all this time to fix whatever issues there were with any of the skins and yet all they bothered doing was enabling the skin menu that's been present since the beta and lock them behind a paywall. And they still haven't released all of the skins yet. Laziness at its best. :lol:

Godzillian wrote:The classic Battlefront games are out for digital download on xbox one and steam. These games are obsolete now

And they're extremely cheap too! All EA had to do was take those games and update them.

Here's what an ex-Pandemic developer had to say about EA's reboot series (before SWBF15 released but presumably his opinion hasn't changed):

I don't have high expectations for DICE's Battlefront because it's EA. 10 years ago is when they should have done it which is when they could have contributed something to the industry/genre, but in that time all they have done is get console gameplay and quality up to where PC gameplay and quality was ten years ago, and Star Wars is just another license for EA to exploit as much as possible. Even LucasArts I would not trust to make the game fun because both take into account the business considerations and money too much rather than having it be about Star Wars and fun. They'll focus on what characters can be licensed and put in the game for maximum profit, and how much more they can add and charge us for as DLC. They will then probably release 2 more, each time adding content and functionality they should have put in the first one but didn't because they knew they could charge us for 2 more games before we got what we really wanted.

Some of the guys from the original are working on it, one of the level designers and one of the artists at least. It looks like it has better graphics and they didn’t make them make it cartoony like they made us, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be better than BF2. It’s only 4 planets and 16 maps I think they said and no clone wars era content. So I think it's going to be weak. No space battles either. I’d almost have preferred they avoided the existing films and went 100% Rebels at this point. The new animated series does a nice job of mixing the content from both eras.
Long live the King

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Fri May 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Breakdown wrote:nstead we get pointless hero skins and DLC nobody wanted from a movie nobody wanted (Solo).

Nobody wanted a majorty of the Star Wars films Rogue One included.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Fri May 18, 2018 1:21 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
Breakdown wrote:nstead we get pointless hero skins and DLC nobody wanted from a movie nobody wanted (Solo).

N O B O D Y asked for a Han Solo movie though, at least Rogue One and The Force Awakens where considered to be alright. As a result I don't know why they're giving us a skreeonking Solo DLC rather than more Clone Wars stuff seeing as out of all the eras in the game it's the most lacking. The game is supposed to span across all 3 eras but only the OT gets any love and the other two are literally an afterthought.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri May 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Breakdown wrote:The game is supposed to span across all 3 eras but only the OT gets any love...

Welcome to basically every piece of Star Wars media these days, unfortunately.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri May 18, 2018 2:23 pm

I wish- but from an OT fan's perspective, it is only used and abused to carry on the legacy of Clone Wars stories (Rebels), or ground in the mud as a launching pad for new character (TFA/TLJ). Rogue One is about the only project since 1997 that actually feels like a tribute to the OT (from an OT fan's perspective), rather than an attempt to cash in on the most iconic elements to build extra audience for something that wants to focus elsewhere but also wants that built-in audience boost.

Maybe it feels different to a prequel/Clone Wars fan... but from an OT-lover's perspective, the grass ain't any greener over on this side. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Fri May 18, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Breakdown wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

N O B O D Y asked for a Han Solo movie though, at least Rogue One and The Force Awakens where considered to be alright. As a result I don't know why they're giving us a skreeonking Solo DLC rather than more Clone Wars stuff seeing as out of all the eras in the game it's the most lacking. The game is supposed to span across all 3 eras but only the OT gets any love and the other two are literally an afterthought.

We have no idea if Solo will be good or not till next week. No asked to see a movie about the death star plans being stolen yet it turned out all right.

At least Kasdan is writing Solo and it's the only ideas brought over from Lucas.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Fri May 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Zarm wrote:I wish. The OT is the only era that deserves any love, from my POV (and the prequels kinda just got off a 3-movie, 6-season, 15-year-uninterrupted-sole-focus era where the OT got nothin')- but from an OT fan's perspective, it is only used and abused to carry on the legacy of Clone Wars stories (Rebels), or ground in the mud as a launching pad for new character (TFA/TLJ). Rogue One is about the only project since 1997 that actually feels like a tribute to the OT (from an OT fan's perspective), rather than an attempt to cash in on the most iconic elements to build extra audience for something that wants to focus elsewhere but also wants that built-in audience boost.

Maybe it feels different to a prequel/Clone Wars fan... but from an OT-lover's perspective, the grass ain't any greener over on this side. :)

If you're going to advertise a game as spanning across all 3 eras, the least you could do is actually give the eras content. It doesn't matter weather or not the Clone Wars just finished a TV show and some comics, it's still an advertised part of the game and it's sorely lacking in content. Where's Anakin, Obi Wan, Count Dooku, Mace Windu, Ashoka or Rex as heroes? Where's the plethora of planets that could be used for Galactic Assault like Mustafar, Christophisis, Utapau, etc? Where's the tons of Clone Wars vehicles like the Spider Droid or that 6 legged Republic tank? The fact is that the OT is literally the only thing getting content as of late and apparently by August all we're getting for the Clone Wars is a Geonosis map abd General Grievous as a hero before EA leaves this game to die.

I like General Grievous, he's probably my favorite Star Wars character, but that alone isn't enough to make me come back and play the game for any significant length of time.
Last edited by Breakdown on Fri May 18, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri May 18, 2018 3:55 pm

Breakdown wrote:If you're going to advertise a game as spanning across all 3 eras, the least you could do is actually give the eras content. It doesn't matter weather or not the Clone Wars just finished a TV show and some comics, it's still an advertised part of the game and it's sorely lacking in content. Where's Anakin, Obi Wan, Count Dooku, Mace Windu, Ashoka or Rex as heroes? Where's the plethora of planets that could be used for Galactic Assault like Mustafar, Christophisis, Utapau, etc? Where's the tons of Clone Wars vehicles like the Spider Droid or that 6 legged Republic tank? The fact is that the OT is literally the only thing getting content as of late and apparently by August all we're getting for the Clone Wars is a Geonosis map abd General Grievous as a hero before EA leaves this game to die.

I like General Grievous, he's probably my favorite Star Wars character, but that alone isn't enough to make me come back and play the game for any significant length of time.

Oh, sure - sorry, my statement was in response to the claim that that's the way the franchise in general is trending... but in terms of the game, I would agree that it seems like the content is sorely lacking. Especially if they did advertise it as spanning all three franchises.

I think they put themselves in a bit of a narrative corner. The prequels/Clone Wars storyline is very closed off, narratively; we know where its going and how it ends. It's really too long ago for it to have much of a connection to the sequel films, with most of the characters either elderly or dead by that point, and no tie has been established between the First Irder and the prequels. So there's not much they can do there.

And they can't do much in the era of the Sequel Trilogy itself, because the stories are clustered very tight together with no real room in between to tell stories, and the direction the story's heading in is uncertain, so they have no ability to tell stories set after. By the time episode 9 comes out, we'll have essentially spent about 5 real-world years focusing on about a week-long span in one small corner of the Galaxy, with the writers essentially straightjacketed from doing anything else with the wider universe, because they can't until they see how this all plays out.

Which basically means that the only era available to them for tie-ins (which they want for marketing purposes) is the period in-between the original trilogy in the sequel rrilogy, which basically means 'set-up' stories telling how they got from one area to the other- which is primarily told through the characters of the original trilogy, because the majority of the characters in the sequel trilogy don't come to prominence or have a major effect on events until the sequel trilogy.

So unfortunately, their choice of writing has just kind of boxed them in to the point that from the announcement of episode 7 all the way up through the release of episode 9, there's really only one era they can produce new media for if they want it to have any relevance to the ongoing franchise (including the spinoff films, which are also setup/backstory films).

Which is a bit shortsighted, from a marketing and storytelling perspective, and more than a little frustrating from a fandom perspective. So, from that perspective, I could see how everything does feel like it revolves around the original trilogy- even though it is not necessarily set there, or taking things in a direction complementary to that era, using pieces from that era and being set generally around that era are the only things they really can do at the moment.

Except, you know, in video games- where they should be able to do whatever the heck they want. So it's kind of inexcusable in a Battlefront game not to be able to just tell separate disconnected stories in each era, or at least have that in free-for-all multiplayer, which doesn't have a canon narrative to begin with.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri May 18, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#ProLife

Maranatha!

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Fri May 18, 2018 4:01 pm

They could try to bring back the Old Republic era. That's something I can confidently say that most Star Wars fans would absolutely adore seeing as it was rectonned by Disney. Right now the only Old Republic era game is the MMO of the sams name.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri May 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Breakdown wrote:They could try to bring back the Old Republic era. That's something I can confidently say that most Star Wars fans would absolutely adore seeing as it was rectonned by Disney. Right now the only Old Republic era game is the MMO of the sams name.

Oh, heck yeah! But, I think Disney is only interested in promoting their ongoing era. Hence why Rebels was axed a year earlier than originally planned, and conveniently, there's a new Resistance cartoon coming out. And, probably why there's no love for the Clone Wars in this game. Because they just want to prop up the singular era or issue tie-ins (like Rebels, Solo, Rogue One) to the existing films (which they were trying promote so that the original trilogy's ever-dwindling connection to the sequels would be hyped up; 'Here's Luke and Han and Leia... and guess what, they're in our upcoming film, too!'). The EU was about exploring... the current canon is about propping up the main film line in every possible way, either directly or indirectly, and it doesn't seem to care about anything that doesn't work toward that goal.

Maybe as the stand-alones diversify, that will change. But for the moment, it seems like everything is just designed to feed back into the Episode VII-IX trilogy.
Last edited by Zarm on Fri May 18, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#ProLife

Maranatha!

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Postby The Godzilla King » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:58 pm

The latest build of the Xenia emulator is now able to run Free Radical's Star Wars Battlefront III pre-alpha. The graphics don't look too great at the moment but it runs and is playable. In the video, I only showcase some of the maps where you can actually see anything. A lot of maps, such as Mustafar, Coruscant, and Tatooine, are waaay too bright for gameplay. But it's a great start and at long last, we can finally play the game, even if it's only a very early prototype. It's just unfortunate that later builds were never leaked. The game definitely had potential.
Long live the King

Breakdown
Kwaidan

Postby Breakdown » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:52 pm

So apparently before Geonosis we're gonna be getting Obi-Wan-Kenobi as a character as well as an enormous Clone Wars content drop. Can anyone confirm?

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:53 pm

Breakdown wrote:So apparently before Geonosis we're gonna be getting Obi-Wan-Kenobi as a character as well as an enormous Clone Wars content drop. Can anyone confirm?

Really? I thought they were just doing Solo content and that was it? I thought I read all the developers were kind of letting the game die.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Postby The Godzilla King » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Breakdown wrote:So apparently before Geonosis we're gonna be getting Obi-Wan-Kenobi as a character as well as an enormous Clone Wars content drop. Can anyone confirm?

So far, no leaks or official sources have actually said Obi-Wan is coming at all. But since Grievous was in the files and has been mentioned in leaks multiple times, it's assumed Obi-Wan will be the hero as he and Grievous pretty much go along with each other. I haven't heard of any large content drops coming prior to Geonosis.

Really? I thought they were just doing Solo content and that was it? I thought I read all the developers were kind of letting the game die.

Nah, the leaks suggest that support will last at least as long as the previous game. That means it'll be supported until around January next year.
Long live the King

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Giratina93 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:28 pm

well, we're getting the two big names from The Clone Wars on both sides: Grievous, Dooku, Obi Wan and Anakin. And the planet Geonosis.

So stuff that should have been in the base game but wasn't, because EA.
You dare try to challenge me? Then we shall see how you fare against a true Archangel!

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Return to “Video Game Hub”