Kaiju Combat - Too Big to Fail!

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Kaiju Combat - Too Big to Fail!

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 am

Mr. Strange wrote:Nope. Here's the link to his online bio: http://kaijucombat.com/wiki/doku.php?id ... ist:duncan

Well, if you look at the original version....

As with all male kangaroos, Duncan has no pouch. As with all male Kaiju, Duncan has no visible genetalia.

http://kaijucombat.com/wiki/doku.php?id ... 1373148311
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Showa Gyaos wrote:At this point, if I somehow win the lottery, I will give $900,000 just to see this project get done once and for all. People are still bringing it up in conversations and making it the brunt of jokes, and with good reason. The alpha was released five years ago. I was a senior in college! That was half a decade ago!

I feel you. But here's the thing - wouldn't you now want something using a more modern engine? Something that runs on modern hardware, instead of being tied to an older DirectX dll?

This is a big problem with older projects - they need maintenance just to remain where they were.

But hey - do let me know if you win the lottery. I'm not above doing work for money.

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Doesn't it say on Duncan's game bio 'You can't see his genitals'?

Nope. Here's the link to his online bio: http://kaijucombat.com/wiki/doku.php?id ... ist:duncan

Oh, and tell us about how when you guys tried to add Red from the Godzilla Creepy Pasta into the game, with his evil clones, Duncan's owner got mad so you guys removed Red. :lol:

None of that ever happened. Here is Red's wiki entry: http://kaijucombat.com/wiki/doku.php?id ... dow_of_red

Cool story, though.

Yes yes, Red's on the wiki, but is he in the game?

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote:Yes yes, Red's on the wiki, but is he in the game?

This is a slightly confusing question. In what game? The game was never finished.

To give a more clear answer, I need to explain the process that was in place.

1 - A bunch of people earned the right to have collaborations with myself and Matt. Early people paid for this, and later people won it through community votes. All of those collaborations are "official CKC characters." They are part of the world, lore, etc.

2 - Early on, we voted on the roster for Fall of Nemesis - the CKC video game. This was long before Red even became an official CKC character. So he wasn't part of that vote.

3 - The long-term plan was to develop additional games, and thus (eventually) hold more votes for who would be on the roster. But since we never finished Fall of Nemesis - we never got to a point where it made sense to seriously discuss rosters for later games.

I'll also point out that all of this - game roster votes, collaborations, etc - happened well after all of the fundraising was completed.

UltimateDitto
Futurian

Postby UltimateDitto » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Will a new engine be used for the repackaged Fall of Nemisis? What game engines would you consider using?
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:04 pm

UltimateDitto wrote:Will a new engine be used for the repackaged Fall of Nemisis? What game engines would you consider using?

My official line is that I won't discuss details until there is something firm to discuss.

I'll point out that Pipeworks stopped using their own engine in 2013, and has been using Unity and Unreal since then.

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:32 pm

So Simon. Was it really too big to fail? Empty promises of getting the IPs for Gamera and Godzilla, letting one furry put in his fetish character and his friend's fetish character, no concept arts being made anymore? Other people from the 'make a monster' group getting bullied by Duncan's fan following of furries? The forums being over run with said furry fans? The rumors of the people wanting refunds?

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Postby Showa Gyaos » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:32 pm

Actually, I remember before leaving the Sunstone boards, some losers from 4chan were making the Duncan rumors up. Or at least they were wildly speculating that he and his fursona were the downfall of the project.

Granted, this was back in skreeonking 2015 (it's been that long) and a lot of this stuff was a blur to me. I just left because I noticed nothing was getting done.

I think it was just about running out of cash and nothing more. $100,000 can't build a solid game unless you cut corners like Toby Fox did with Undertale, and even then THAT was still a small game compared to most titles.

Also, by mid 2013, Duncan stopped frequenting the boards from what I can remember. He wasn't a regular visitor beyond that point. 2013 was when stuff was supposedly beginning to kick off too.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote:So Simon. Was it really too big to fail? Empty promises of getting the IPs for Gamera and Godzilla, letting one furry put in his fetish character and his friend's fetish character, no concept arts being made anymore? Other people from the 'make a monster' group getting bullied by Duncan's fan following of furries? The forums being over run with said furry fans? The rumors of the people wanting refunds?

You seem very ill-informed.

1 - We built the game such that we could include licensed monsters (Godzilla, Gamera, others) in the future. We never had any plans to use them in the initial releases. You know that we were focused on rosters including original monsters, so it seems incongruous to simultaneously cast blame for doing so!

2 - I don't like the implications in the phrasing that we "let" someone put in a furry character. We took all sorts of characters - if you paid $500 we developed and included a character with your input. Do you think we should prevent people from participating if the have certain affiliations? Should we exclude gay people from making original monsters? Maybe you think we should exclude concepts from African-Americans?

3 - There were absolutely people who wanted refunds. But that's because they didn't (apparently) understand how donations work.

Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Smuggers » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:40 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote:Other people from the 'make a monster' group getting bullied by Duncan's fan following of furries? The forums being over run with said furry fans?

As someone who frequented the forum for a few years, this never happened. There was never a large group of furries on the site and anyone who was a furry wasn't tied to Duncan. The big green mobster himself was also pretty much never there. He hasn't logged in years and his last post was a year before even that. The whole "furries took control of CKC" is literally fake news-tier gossip that has more poop added to it every time it's posted and as someone who was never a fan of the monsters that were clearly based on their creator's fursona, even I can say that the worst thing these guys did is muddy the public perception of the game to people who take a very vocal stance against furries.

Nobody there got bullied by any furry on the site either. The site had a large amount of children on it who were honestly too young to be part of a community. Then there were people who were just plain weird. The most controversial person on that forum was anyone who'd dare criticize a user-submitted monster. The users there tended to have very thin skin and the site was very hugboxy, especially early on. There were also a couple people who took advantage of the fact that the forum took very little action in the way of problem users--they didn't really do anything too bad, they were just very consistently annoying which was enough to make all the 12 year olds go nuclear.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:52 pm

^^ Sounds about right.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:37 pm

As one of the donators, I'm at least thankful for having the chance to collaborate with Simon and Matt on a new character. Plus I got some nifty Matt Frank artwork of my monster.

It's a shame the game never saw completion, but I wouldn't call it a total loss.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:So Simon. Was it really too big to fail? Empty promises of getting the IPs for Gamera and Godzilla, letting one furry put in his fetish character and his friend's fetish character, no concept arts being made anymore? Other people from the 'make a monster' group getting bullied by Duncan's fan following of furries? The forums being over run with said furry fans? The rumors of the people wanting refunds?

You seem very ill-informed.

1 - We built the game such that we could include licensed monsters (Godzilla, Gamera, others) in the future. We never had any plans to use them in the initial releases. You know that we were focused on rosters including original monsters, so it seems incongruous to simultaneously cast blame for doing so!

2 - I don't like the implications in the phrasing that we "let" someone put in a furry character. We took all sorts of characters - if you paid $500 we developed and included a character with your input. Do you think we should prevent people from participating if the have certain affiliations? Should we exclude gay people from making original monsters? Maybe you think we should exclude concepts from African-Americans?

3 - There were absolutely people who wanted refunds. But that's because they didn't (apparently) understand how donations work.

Didn't know the furries were a race or a sexual orientation. Learned something here.
The thing is Duncan WASN'T a kaiju. He was a giant looney toons character who you couldn't see the genitals of so other furries couldn't sexualize him. He's the same guy who's fandom bullied a girl until she accepted him as her character's boyfriend.

And from the people who 'donated' and refunded, I hear they were literally attacked by Duncan's 'Furry Mafia' to leave the project. :lol:
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:11 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote:Didn't know the furries were a race or a sexual orientation. Learned something here.
The thing is Duncan WASN'T a kaiju. He was a giant looney toons character who you couldn't see the genitals of so other furries couldn't sexualize him. He's the same guy who's fandom bullied a girl until she accepted him as her character's boyfriend.

And from the people who 'donated' and refunded, I hear they were literally attacked by Duncan's 'Furry Mafia' to leave the project. :lol:

1 - Do you think that race and sexual orientation are the only qualities that we shouldn't discriminate on, and otherwise it's fine to mock and abuse people? Personally, I think all people have an intrinsic dignity that should be respected.

2 - The character Duncan in CKC is absolutely a kaiju. Remember - we don't simply "take" character ideas whole-cloth. We run them through a lengthy collaboration process where Matt Frank and I talk with the creator, and we put together something that we all like and which fits inside the CKC universe.

The CKC iteration of Duncan is actually the manifestation of an Australian trickster spirit. He takes on impossible forms and causes mayhem, and then vanishes when he is defeated, or his objectives are met.

3 - This idea that Duncan has rabid fans who are somehow attacking other people - to what end? Just sounds like nonsense to me.

Beast Blood
Samurai

Postby Beast Blood » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 am

I had fun talking to people on the CKC forums and goofing off in the chatbox. It's where I met one of my best buddies, actually.

kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 am

I was on the CKC forums back then, did some drawings for people. I've been trying to find them so I can give them the drawings again, but I've been having no luck with it. Anyone knows who I've done drawings for and how to get a hold of them, let me.

MrGameguycolor
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MrGameguycolor » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:27 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:snip

Hey Simon, I sent you a message.

Did you get it?
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

A guy named Peter who is part guy, part game
But 100% Mecha Kaiju Monster

Fear me, I am MattG

https://fat.gfycat.com/DisgustingIdealJay.webm

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:34 pm

I literally went through Duncan's BS, and no, Duncan was never officially supposed to be a kaiju, he's supposed to be a giant looney tunes type character who's massive size leads him into embarrassing situations. Such as, his ass being the reason the leaning tower of piza is leaning. He also probably doesn't know you made his furry fetish fap bait into a semi decent kaiju concept of an 'Australian Trickster Spirit'.

But yeah, Duncan and his fans bullied a person to have their giant kangaroo girl become Duncan's girlfriend. Duncan paid for Macrosaurus to be in game when Macrosaurus' creator didn't want anything to do with it. And he threw a poop fit over twitter when Red was announced to be able to 'make evil clones and or mind control other kaiju to do his bidding', something that Duncan would never do, cause he is, in fact, a giant looney tunes character. Hell, Duncan didn't even want him to be a brawler, he wanted his fap bait to be akin to Bugs Bunny. But you did what you could with that concept, I guess. As long as he doesn't order TNT and Anvils from ACME or run on the air and look down, mug to the camera and fall...Cause that's what Duncan really wanted.

Face it, Simon, 'Too Big to Fail!' as a tagline when poop like this is being exposed to the air? At least Dragon Lotus let you change his girlfriend's OC to actually fit the damn game.

Ironic, all this, since you worked closely with pipeworks. Seems like getting Godzilla, Gamera and Ultraman in a brawling fighter game by some indie devs in the states was a Pipe-Dream.

Wait, Simon...Is Duncan's furry mafia holding you hostage? Is that why you're defending him so much? Even most of the furry community thinks the guy's an asshole and only wanted in your game for bragging rights to the other furries, that his fursona got into a 'game'.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:24 pm

Ancient Chinese proverb wrote:Internet arguments boil down to an unstoppable retard vs an immovable autist
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:51 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Ancient Chinese proverb wrote:Internet arguments boil down to an unstoppable retard vs an immovable autist

Weren't you banned from a Godzilla 4chan discord? :lol:

Return to “Video Game Hub”