Kaiju Combat - Too Big to Fail!

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Birdman
Kwaidan

Re: Colossal Kaiju Combat cards & merch - final printing 12/1/18

Postby Birdman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:12 am

At this point...

What game?
Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"

https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

Dv-218
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Dv-218 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:15 am

Lmao I forgot there was even supposed to be a game :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:25 am

Look, I get it. It takes a long time to make a video game. It’s also unfortunate that an environmental artist passed away during development. That’s a heavy emotional blow and a heavy roadblock for production. I’m not gonna dispute the importance of that.

However, it’s been six years, Simon. Six years and all that CKC has to show for itself is a demo with the most stock and unoriginal monsters possible and a collectible card game which most of the Kickstarter backers (not just monster creators) never knew was going to exist.

Most of the people I know who donated either did so to get their monster/character into a full-fledged fighting game or were excited by the possibility of having Godzilla, Gamera, etc in said fighting game. And I know you’ve said before in the past that the licensed content was just a possibility and not the main selling point but you have to admit that the majority of the people who heard about CKC were intrigued by that aspect in your original pitch video.

But you know what? I think you might still have something as far as a video game goes.

Hearthstone, the upcoming Artifact, video card games are all the rage these days. Why not take this physical board game (something which, lets be honest, will likely only be played at G-FEST) and turn it into a video game? Keep the basic rules and elements of the card game but implement animations and rendered fight scenes. Just a thought, really. There’s so many brilliant kaiju designs created for this game and I’d hate to see them sit unused in Matt Frank’s portfolio.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 am

UltramanGoji wrote:Look, I get it. It takes a long time to make a video game. It’s also unfortunate that an environmental artist passed away during development. That’s a heavy emotional blow and a heavy roadblock for production. I’m not gonna dispute the importance of that.

However, it’s been six years, Simon. Six years and all that CKC has to show for itself is a demo with the most stock and unoriginal monsters possible and a collectible card game which most of the Kickstarter backers (not just monster creators) never knew was going to exist.

Most of the people I know who donated either did so to get their monster/character into a full-fledged fighting game or were excited by the possibility of having Godzilla, Gamera, etc in said fighting game. And I know you’ve said before in the past that the licensed content was just a possibility and not the main selling point but you have to admit that the majority of the people who heard about CKC were intrigued by that aspect in your original pitch video.

But you know what? I think you might still have something as far as a video game goes.

Hearthstone, the upcoming Artifact, video card games are all the rage these days. Why not take this physical board game (something which, lets be honest, will likely only be played at G-FEST) and turn it into a video game? Keep the basic rules and elements of the card game but implement animations and rendered fight scenes. Just a thought, really. There’s so many brilliant kaiju designs created for this game and I’d hate to see them sit unused in Matt Frank’s portfolio.

The only constructive criticism in a topic filled with poop talking.

MM Raids Again wrote:So how about that video game?

With your conscience.

Non existent.

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
With your conscience.

Non existent.

Damn it, I must have lost that around the same time you lost the ability to make semi-decent (even if unneeded) insults. Wait... does that mean I never had one...?
Did you miss me?

SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Postby SpaceG92 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Stop derailing this thread with poop posts.

Do it and you'll get a warning from here one.

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 am

UltramanGoji wrote:Look, I get it. It takes a long time to make a video game. It’s also unfortunate that an environmental artist passed away during development. That’s a heavy emotional blow and a heavy roadblock for production. I’m not gonna dispute the importance of that.

I appreciate the reasonable tone of the question, so let me try to be clear:

I had to stop development on the video game, because all of the money was spent. A lot of the development was stuff I could do personally - and I work on CKC for free. But a whole bunch (60%) of stuff that needed to be done for the game I can't do on my own - so I need money to pay people to do it.

In 2012 I came up with a plan, a budget, and people willing to do the work for certain amounts, at certain times. (People have other jobs, so scheduling is important too.) We made good progress the first two years or so. We built character models, animations, sounds, effects, a few basic environments, and (most importantly) got the game engine running with 4-player local/online combat. It's still on Steam - you can still play it. I feel great about how much we accomplished up to that point.

The next step was to polish up content - adding final environments and polishing characters. Our budget for that was very low - because Ron and I were going to work for free. When Ron passed, there simply wasn't another good option. We were driving a car along a mountain road, and we had just enough gas to reach our destination. Then the bridge washed out - and there wasn't a way to get there without essentially starting over.

The card game, on the other hand, I can make almost entirely on my own. And it's remained popular and profitable. So I've kept at it. And that's the point of this announcement thread - to let people know that I'm planning on another print run for any orders made by December 1st.

If folks want to continue talking about the CKC video game, let's use the proper thread for that:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 10&t=11849

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Re: Kaiju Combat - Too Big to Fail!

Postby Mr. Strange » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:03 am

Hello folks - I made an announcement post about card printing elsewhere, and some people wanted to talk about CKC video game stuff. I suggested any such discussions happen here.

So this post is just to clarify that, yes, this is proper place to discuss things.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:01 pm

What happened to the other thread?!?!
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

UltimateDitto
Futurian

Postby UltimateDitto » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:22 pm

If the game ever picks up again, can monsters from the trading cards be eligible to be put in the video games?

And if so, would progenitor monsters come first, then, when they are all used, start picking monsters from the card game?
Last edited by UltimateDitto on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:01 pm

UltimateDitto wrote:If the game ever picks up again, can monsters from the trading cards be eligible to be put in the video games?

And if so, would progenitor monsters come first, then, when they are all used, start picking monsters from the card game?

Hell no. Cause Duncan won't be able to win. Duncan can't be mind controlled, and must always win and be comedic and funny and not a fighter. And his inflation/vore fetish buddy needs more art.

Face it, this is a death rattle, the project failed.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:08 pm

The furry bogeyman is just a meme
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

UltimateDitto
Futurian

Postby UltimateDitto » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:29 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote:
UltimateDitto wrote:If the game ever picks up again, can monsters from the trading cards be eligible to be put in the video games?

Face it, this is a death rattle, the project failed.

Yeah your right, guess I was just hoping for...something.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:54 pm

The roster for the first game was decided - no roster for any future game was ever decided.

So, for any hypothetical games with no roster set - any character could be used.
Last edited by Mr. Strange on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:20 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:

The roster for the first game was decided - no roster for any future game was ever decided.

So, for any hypothetical games with no roster set - any character could be used.

Mainly Duncan and his exclusive "You can't see his genitals"? :eh:

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote: Mainly Duncan and his exclusive "You can't see his genitals"? :eh:

? I have no idea how this sentence relates to the topic. Probably you're just trolling.

If you were trying to have a legit conversation, please try again with more detail.

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote: Mainly Duncan and his exclusive "You can't see his genitals"? :eh:

? I have no idea how this sentence relates to the topic. Probably you're just trolling.

If you were trying to have a legit conversation, please try again with more detail.

Doesn't it say on Duncan's game bio 'You can't see his genitals'?
EDIT:
Oh, and tell us about how when you guys tried to add Red from the Godzilla Creepy Pasta into the game, with his evil clones, Duncan's owner got mad so you guys removed Red. :lol:
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:43 pm

He was never in the game though

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:01 am

LamangoKaijura wrote:Doesn't it say on Duncan's game bio 'You can't see his genitals'?

Nope. Here's the link to his online bio: http://kaijucombat.com/wiki/doku.php?id ... ist:duncan

Oh, and tell us about how when you guys tried to add Red from the Godzilla Creepy Pasta into the game, with his evil clones, Duncan's owner got mad so you guys removed Red. :lol:

None of that ever happened. Here is Red's wiki entry: http://kaijucombat.com/wiki/doku.php?id ... dow_of_red

Cool story, though.
Last edited by Mr. Strange on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Postby Showa Gyaos » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:29 am

At this point, if I somehow win the lottery, I will give $900,000 just to see this project get done once and for all. People are still bringing it up in conversations and making it the brunt of jokes, and with good reason. The alpha was released five years ago. I was a senior in college! That was half a decade ago!
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Return to “Video Game Hub”