Resident Evil Discussion Thread

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
RedZillaKing

Re: Resident Evil Discussion Thread

Post by RedZillaKing »

Resident Evil 6 is a blast. My cousin and I kill hours playing campaign and Mercs. Its funny... if I had actually listened to the critics, I would never have touched it.

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

RedZillaKing wrote:Resident Evil 6 is a blast. My cousin and I kill hours playing campaign and Mercs. Its funny... if I had actually listened to the critics, I would never have touched it.
Game Informer gave it a 8.75. Though I think that is defintly on the upper end of the scale for the reviews.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/resid ... kinks.aspx
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

I got the two Resident Evil Archives books today. They're pretty damned cool. Worked out to about thiryeen bucks each. Volume I is better.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Not happy that RE:R2 is going to be episodic I'll just wait for the disc version to come out, it will have more content in it.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Revelations 2 is an easy pass. Don't really care about Claire or Barry Burton's spawn. The episode shit is irritating too.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

I've given up on RE series, I didn't like 5 or 6 because I felt it was the wrong direction for franchise to go into. I wanna see RE go back to it's survival horror roots, this attempting to be a 3rd person action shoot is boring.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Then play the first Revelatons. And Revelations 2 seems to be far from an action shooting game. I'm just not pleased with the why they are releasing it. I'll be waiting for the full disc version if I do pick it up.

Plus, keep in mind that RE4 ushered in the action. And that game was heralded.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

Castellan Zilla wrote:Then play the first Revelatons. And Revelations 2 seems to be far from an action shooting game. I'm just not pleased with the why they are releasing it. I'll be waiting for the full disc version if I do pick it up.

Plus, keep in mind that RE4 ushered in the action. And that game was heralded.
I loved RE4, but RE5 & 6 felt bad on all aspects. RE5's story sounded half baked, responsiveness of characters to inputted actions was sluggish, each level felt like it was a slightly reworked previous level, etc.

RE6 felt all wrong as it had the same forced co-op system as RE5, but made it 5x worse. The way they introduced Jake as Weskers son was stupid and felt forced. The bosses lacked any form of a challenge and felt like a tedious chore to fight, instead of being enjoyable.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

I really enjoyed RE5. I just loved the design of the enemies and adored the first half the game when you were chasing after Irving. Who was an awesome boss battle by the way. I'm not a huge fan of RE6, but I loved some of the new characters that were introduced, namely Helena and Piers. I still feel to this day that Chris should have died and Piers carry on in his place. But, nope. Capcom didn't have the stones to do it.

The first Revelations will always be my favorite Resident Evil game though.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

Castellan Zilla wrote:I really enjoyed RE5. I just loved the design of the enemies and adored the first half the game when you were chasing after Irving. Who was an awesome boss battle by the way. I'm not a huge fan of RE6, but I loved some of the new characters that were introduced, namely Helena and Piers. I still feel to this day that Chris should have died and Piers carry on in his place. But, nope. Capcom didn't have the stones to do it.

Only thing I really enjoyed about RE6 was getting to play as Ada Wong.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Castellan Zilla wrote:I really enjoyed RE5. I just loved the design of the enemies and adored the first half the game when you were chasing after Irving. Who was an awesome boss battle by the way. I'm not a huge fan of RE6, but I loved some of the new characters that were introduced, namely Helena and Piers. I still feel to this day that Chris should have died and Piers carry on in his place. But, nope. Capcom didn't have the stones to do it.

6 was meh. so was 5, really. the last good one IMHO was 4, and that's because it kept up the original "values" of resident evil, namely

you're isolated and alone. there is no partner, there is no "buddy" to help you get over a wall; you're stuck.

you need to get out, not in: from RE one onward, a key component is that you're trapped and a fight will get you out, and only a fight. 5 felt like you were fighting your way in, and 6 was more like a special ops game with resident evil sprinkled in.

the enemies: whether they're in a cult or undead, they're uniform and their sheer numbers make them terrifying. 5 kept this. 6 lost this.

the latter two games in the franchise just bothered me. now, if you had a resident evil set in an urban environment (such as a suburb, and the city was far off) that'd be great.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I like RE5 as well. RE6 kinda sucked, but RE5 brought back the classic characters like Chris, Jill and Wesker. At the time, it felt like it been so long since we seen them and Wesker making a major come back was awesome to me. If RE7 is going to end the franchise then they should reboot the series in a new direction several years later. Don't reboot it like three - five years later like DMC: Devil May Cry and the 2008 Prince of Persia game. Wait for time to past before you reboot it.
RE5 was an atrocity in all aspects of the word. All you needed to do to beat the game was basically farm through 1-1 to 2-3 for about 4 hours to gain enough currency, guns & ammunition so that you could max upgrade the weapons. After that was done you could beat the game within 4 hours without fear of death since you had plenty of healing items, maxed guns & ammo to cruise through the game on even it's hardest setting.

That's not a good game, it's a stupid game that had far too easy exploitable flaws. Flaws that RE6 didn't even attempt to fix at all, and seemed to make those same exploits easier to perform.

Those are the reasons that I've lost faith in modern time Resident Evil games, because those exploits wasn't possible in the older & infinitely better Resident Evil games. I never had a sense of I could potentially lose in RE5 or RE6 because no healing items or ammo for guns, simply because I could back track through the easy acts to restock on healing items & ammo anytime I needed them. Which effectively killed game difficulty and the need to conserve vital resources.
Last edited by MysticalDL on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I like RE5 as well. RE6 kinda sucked, but RE5 brought back the classic characters like Chris, Jill and Wesker. At the time, it felt like it been so long since we seen them and Wesker making a major come back was awesome to me. If RE7 is going to end the franchise then they should reboot the series in a new direction several years later. Don't reboot it like three - five years later like DMC: Devil May Cry and the 2008 Prince of Persia game. Wait for time to past before you reboot it.
wesker comes back to die in a really poor ending battle. that sucked. there are a few things to like about 5 and a host of things to dislike. 6 again felt like a wargame, but then when bioterrorism is the theme...
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

three wrote:
wesker comes back to die in a really poor ending battle. that sucked. there are a few things to like about 5 and a host of things to dislike. 6 again felt like a wargame, but then when bioterrorism is the theme...
Everything about RE5 & RE6 was horrible, like I explained the most glaring flaws of both games. If they had removed the ability to back track & farm currency, healing items & ammo then both games would of been better.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

I play games for story and characters, which the later Resident Evil do infinitely better at than the older ones. The original three RE games for the Playstation have not aged well at all. And if I want to play the first Resident Evil, I play REmake.

A lot of the difficulty that's associated with the older games is due to the limitations of the software and hardware that it was made on. Those fixed camera angles can go fuck themselves.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

NOW people play games for story and characters. People didn't play PAC man because he was a great character. Games are meant to be entertaining. This whole artsy part is new.

Yes, yes, you kind of addressed that, and I'm springboarding into this little rant.

MysticalDL
EDF Instructor

Post by MysticalDL »

I play games that challenge me, I don't play games that become almost boringly easy to beat. RE5 & RE6 just failed to challenge me at all, and that's because of all the easy to abuse exploits that are rampant in the games. Which to me gameplay & difficulty are far more important factors over story & characters (5's best character was literally Sheva)

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Looks like RE0 will be getting a HD port for the PS3, PS4, X360, X1 and PC much like REmake did.

http://kotaku.com/resident-evil-zero-is ... 1706870479

Now just give us a true remake of RE2 and I'll be happy.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

gvamp wrote:Looks like RE0 will be getting a HD port for the PS3, PS4, X360, X1 and PC much like REmake did.

http://kotaku.com/resident-evil-zero-is ... 1706870479

Now just give us a true remake of RE2 and I'll be happy.
if they remade 1-4, i'd be happy. in fact, this is one of the few series of games that i think could deliver on an early series set of remakes. there's not much that needs to change, but the shift in what consoles are capable of would really bring it home.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

It sounds like RE0 will be remade from the ground up and just not a port with enhanced visuals like REmake HD was.

PC Specs