Official Halo Thread (for those that care)

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
g2vd
Kwaidan

Re: Official Halo Thread (for those that care)

Postby g2vd » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:38 am

So how does the game end, what was Master Chief's motivation, what are the new aliens, and of course does the Chief die?
Godzilla

Kaijunator
Kwaidan

Postby Kaijunator » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:29 am

g2vd wrote:So how does the game end, what was Master Chief's motivation, what are the new aliens, and of course does the Chief die?

Spoiler:
Chief and Locke both live. They fight each other once, with Chief locking Locke's armor.

And it's out now! Now I just need an XB1.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.

TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!
Resized Image

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:08 am

Just finished downloading. Didn't take long at all, and the day has finally come :D.

Greyshot151
KWC Manager
KWC Manager

Postby Greyshot151 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:33 am

So I beat the whole game (Took about 5.5 hours to be honest on Heroic with my brother) which if you want to see is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvE5560hRIo

But now to the spoilers which yeah.... really big

Spoiler:
If you watch the Marketing of this game you might think its a 50/50 Chief vs. Locke Hunt with Chief looking to save his best friend. BUT YOU WOULD BE WRONG! which I was kinda happy about. I knew Halo4s story going into it and I guessed how it would end, but here it felt like I didn't know what was going to happend. Jul dying at the beginning was a big WTF, and Hasley joining the group was another strange turn. Cortana being ALREADY alive was another twist, and it just kept coming which I liked. It didn't feel like 1 cohesive story, but an event being witnessed by a group of characters trying to make heads or tails of the whole thing. Combat was fantastic, missions were solid if not overly memorable (Minus Shanghelios cause that was like an awesome train that wouldn't end), but yeah... to the bad...

So I was kinda disapointed Cheif wasn't as big a player. HIS relation to Cortana was kinda the subplot which it shouldn't have been. You saw in 4 how close they were and I wish I could have seen more development into Cortana's betrayal... Also Locke still isn't THAT interesting. Solid team just not THAT interesting.... And the ending being Mass Effect 3 with the reapers, AI war, and everything kinda going to hell was out of left field in a good and bad way.

So yeah my thoughts... Halo 4 definitely had the more solid single player story. It told a gripping, small story of someone trying to save their friend. Halo 5 while still good, kinda gets muddled in its execution. Its as if they took out parts because they wanted to appease fans, and inserted new parts which didn't match other thematic levels of the story. Its not my favorite story, nor do I think it will be remembered as well as Halo 4s, but at the end of the day its a solid enough step to Halo 6 where I hope it will be Chief in the main role again, who agaisnt everything she is doing still tries to save that best friend.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:55 am

A third of a way through the first mission on Heroic, and it feels good... Really bloody good. Even playing with the H4 control setting, Halo 5 plays so much like a Halo game should compared to Halo 4, that it's just a massive night and day difference. Everything from graphics, to overall performance (aside from enemies being rendered in 30fps at some distances), and tightness in controls is just wonderful. Great stuff mates... Now I'm going back in .

Breakdown
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Breakdown » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:12 am

Watched all the cutscenes for the game and man do I miss Halo even more.

In particular, the scene where
Spoiler:
Cortana betrays Chief is heartbreaking. You can almost feel Chief's pain, and the music really completes the scene.
Boo-Hoo, I'm leaking lubricant!

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Since I need some good military science-fiction reading, and since I love HALO's character designs, I've been thinking of getting into the novels. Are they self-contained enough for someone who's never played the games to understand what's happening, or are they heavily reliant on prior knowledge?

(I guess it depends on what series it is if there are multiple, but I just need to know if someone would be able to read them without having to play the games.)

Giratina93

Postby Giratina93 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:50 pm

2004Zilla wrote:Since I need some good military science-fiction reading, and since I love HALO's character designs, I've been thinking of getting into the novels. Are they self-contained enough for someone who's never played the games to understand what's happening, or are they heavily reliant on prior knowledge?

(I guess it depends on what series it is if there are multiple, but I just need to know if someone would be able to read them without having to play the games.)

Fall of Reach is very self-sustaining, as is Flood, and the prequel books like the Cole Protocol. I highly recommend Fall of Reach and First Strike, which are high quality and full of fun.
You dare try to challenge me? Then we shall see how you fare against a true Archangel!

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:33 am

I just got "Halo Combat Evolved" For the Xbox O (Original) and played it a little bit last night I really liked it was fun.
Godzilla

Breakdown
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Breakdown » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:48 pm

Giratina93 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:Since I need some good military science-fiction reading, and since I love HALO's character designs, I've been thinking of getting into the novels. Are they self-contained enough for someone who's never played the games to understand what's happening, or are they heavily reliant on prior knowledge?

Fall of Reach is very self-sustaining, as is Flood, and the prequel books like the Cole Protocol. I highly recommend Fall of Reach and First Strike, which are high quality and full of fun.

This, with the exception of First Strike since for some of it to make sense you'd have to have played CE or read The Flood and Fall of Reach.

Personally I'd start with The Flood. It introduces all the basics of the Halo universe as it's a novelization of the first game. It's a perfect, bare-bones Halo story for newcomers to the series who haven't played the games. From there, you can pretty much go in any direction in the timeline. With the only exception in mind being Cole Protocol since a-lot of it uses characters introduced in Halo 2. If you REALLY want to go back, the Forerunner trilogy focuses on the Forerunners as a race and their war with The Flood. It also gives some backstory for The Didact from Halo 4.

Ghosts of Onyx is a fantastic read, though I'd strongly recommend you read FoR first because a lot of characters from that book return in Ghosts of Onyx , and I'd also recommend you at least play Combat Evolved OR read The Flood.

Giratina93

Postby Giratina93 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:59 pm

My only complaint about The Flood is that the MC's personality is strikingly different between FoR/First Strike and The Flood, since it was written by someone else. If you can look past that, go ahead and read it.
You dare try to challenge me? Then we shall see how you fare against a true Archangel!

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

JAGzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:43 am

From what I remember, The Flood pretty much reads like a novelization of a shooter game: so much cover-to-cover action that it loses its impact and gets tedious pretty quickly. The other books do a better job balancing everything.
"When you're serious about having fun, it's not much fun at all!" -Calvin

EdGojira
EDF Soldier

Postby EdGojira » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:45 pm

My introduction to Halo was the novels. Those novels, from what I recall, were First Strike, Fall of Reach and Contact Harvest. I think the latter two are the most memorable. I would recommend reading them.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtesy+of+that+ed+edd+amp+eddy+post+a+_b4fa40b3496a

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Decided to go with The Fall of Reach as my first introduction into the HALO universe. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Breakdown
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Breakdown » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:54 pm

Fall of Reach is good as well. It details the creation of the SPARTAN Program and one of the biggest, most catastrophic battles in the Human-Covenant war.

HedorahGrabber
Samurai

Postby HedorahGrabber » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:02 am

Even though I love Halo, I will always have issue with some things in the games.

Halo CE:
1. Level Designs begins to fall apart in the half way point with practically reusing the same levels and set pieces. *cough cough* The Library
2. Multiplayer was a unbalanced mess and majority of the maps are Good-horrible. Even some so bad that they didn't even make it on the MCC.
3. The story was simple but wasn't executed well in the gameplay/campaign

Halo 2:
1. The game design has very restrictive level design and not so fun Arbiter missions.
2. Multiplayer was great but the BR was not nice towards noobs.
3. The ending....

Halo 3:
1. The mellow drama taking place in the campaign such as Miranda Keyes and Sargent Johnson's death. Wasn't executed well.
2. STUPID skreeonking SNOWBOUND. Hopefully someone got that reference.
3. Floodgate is mediocre and Cortana is awful.

Halo Reach: (And yes, I am skipping Halo 3: ODST and Halo Wars as those games don't necessarily stand out from the rest of the games)
1. I didn't care much for the campaign
2. Gameplay in multiplayer was bleh
3. Maps sucked

Halo 4:
1. Restrictive levels in campaign
2. Loadouts......I know Halo reach had it but seriously 343?
3. Maps are slightly better than reaches maps but not great.

Halo 5:
1. The story was a disappointing continuation of Halo 4's amazing campaign
2. Level design is restrictive and the visuals are downgraded for the 1080p and 60fps
3. Multiplayer is way to competitive. I like going pro just as much as the next guy but it took so damn long for 343 to add gamemodes like Infection, Firefight, Forge, BTB, Community Action Sack, and Grifball into the game. But to be fair, these are my personal favorite versions of this gametypes. The gameplay mechanics in these gamemodes make it even more fun.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

Return to “Video Game Hub”