ID Forever Part One (Independence Day 2) (2016)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: ID Forever Part One (Independence Day 2) (2015)

Postby o.supreme » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm sorry I have really lost all respect for Emmerich (I know GINO should have done that a long time ago) . But it just seems like he isn't even trying. Why studio's are still letting him direct is beyond me. 2012 is a film that should be referred to as little as possible (not hailed as what something "good" in anticipation of a new film) and White House Down looks like absolute poopie!
Looking for Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening English credit sequence

JGAR
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby JGAR » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Same here, anything Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich related has died out for me. After what they did to one of my biggest childhood icons, I can not like anything about, not even a movie like this.
Yooo 8-)

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:19 pm

o.supreme wrote:I'm sorry I have really lost all respect for Emmerich (I know GINO should have done that a long time ago) . But it just seems like he isn't even trying. Why studio's are still letting him direct is beyond me. 2012 is a film that should be referred to as little as possible (not hailed as what something "good" in anticipation of a new film) and White House Down looks like absolute poopie!

The studios surely see the big success of numerous films he's directed, such as Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, and so on. The money is the point, after all.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Roland's films can be bad but I don't get the sense of pretentiousness or any of the sexism from him that I get from Bay. I think he's learned his lesson from Godzilla and he just sticks to making movies that he knows he can do and that he himself likes.

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Tyler wrote: He's openly stated he makes films for teenage boys and critics should leave him alone for it,

and Emmerich makes films openly for morons. I can't fathom how Day After Tomorrow and 2012 made so much money. I really dont want to be on a planet with people who go to those films and say to themselves "Really makes you think don't it" :? .

RedZillaKing

Postby RedZillaKing » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Really? That's pretty positive. The most favorable reaction I've heard:

Friend 1: "???????"
Friend 2: "Well you can say this about it.... It definitely was a movie."
Friend 1: "!!!!??"

Julia Bristow
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Julia Bristow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:35 am

I think that there should be an audience for big dumb films (like there's an audience for Godzilla films & cheaply made B films of the Roger Corman &New World Pictures & American International variety) just like there is an audience for art house films.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:46 am

Gawdziller wrote:...
Who exactly are you talking about? I can't name one person who's ever said that at an Emmerich film. The most positive I've heard was "that was pretty fun."

Well specifically, i can think of a lady at my work who said pretty much those exact words when War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise came out a few years back. now granted, that isn't a "dumb fun" film like Emmerich's (supposedly), but the fact that she said that makes me painfully aware that there are plently of those people out there that look at 2012 etc... as if it could really ahppen.

Sydney Aradi wrote:I think that there should be an audience for big dumb films

I agree just as long as that is the resaon they are going. I know some dont believe me, but there are thos people that see Emmerich's films as "realistic disaster" those are the ones that give me a headache.

DeadpoolsbetterThanU
G-Grasper

Postby DeadpoolsbetterThanU » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:24 am

For my social science class, when we got to the Climate section our teach showed us The Day After Tomorrow. Flippin' really? Guess he missed the part where it's been proven that nothing in that movie could happen. Ever.

It really ticks me off when I meet people who believe anything in movies could happen. Unless it's like Transformers or something, then it's obvious.
CHIMICHANGA!!!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:Nothing says AMURIKA like cars, explosives, guns, hot chicks, and tons of money being spent on it.

JGAR
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby JGAR » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:51 am

Its possible that Michael Bay, despite all his crap, is better than Emmerich. At least his Transformers look like THE Transformers.
Yooo 8-)

gzilla46
EDF Soldier

Postby gzilla46 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:53 am

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:Its possible that Michael Bay, despite all his crap, is better than Emmerich. At least his Transformers look like THE Transformers.

Yes. I actually LOVE the Transformers trilogy. It helped me get into everything Transformers. I am not only hyped for Godzilla 2014, I also want to see Transformers 4.

How are they going to get Megatron back though? I hope they bring Galvatron into the mix. That would be AMAZING!
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Starsteam
Keizer

Postby Starsteam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:31 am

Tyler wrote:
JGAR4Entertainment wrote:At least his Transformers look like THE Transformers.

Do they really?

Sure, everyone knows that Ironhide has always been black, Bumblebee has always been a camaro, and Optimus loves showing off his flames.

Well.. at least they got a few things right. Rathet's a medic. Green for some reason.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Kwaidan

Postby Spirit Ghidorah 2010 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:34 pm

I really liked many of Emmerich's and Bay's films. Think the only movies I openly hated are Pearl Harbor and 10,000 BC. To me, they're good at delivering pure dumb fun.
Herpy Derpy Doo

TK's Resident Physician

goji89 wrote:Guess I'll leave, this place isn't what it used to be.

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Gawdziller wrote:I've never seen humping dogs and urinating robots in a Roland Emmerich movie. Just throwing that out there.

Nah, he just gave us a giant Iguana humping a building. ;)
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gzilla46
EDF Soldier

Postby gzilla46 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:22 pm

My favorite Bay movie from Transformers. My least favorite was Pearl Harbor. That movie was completely insulting to the US veterans that died in the real disaster. It was filled with historical inaccuracies. Transformers on the other hand...well, I explained numerous times, I'm not going to again.
Shadow Arena Records:

Julia Bristow
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Julia Bristow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:06 am

C'mon folks, Bay's films aren't REALLY offensive to humanity are they? If that's the case then so are the following:

Slasher films
cheapie B movie monsters
cheapie B films in general
Japanese monster films

gzilla46
EDF Soldier

Postby gzilla46 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:10 am

Sydney Aradi wrote:C'mon folks, Bay's films aren't REALLY offensive to humanity are they? If that's the case then so are the following:

Slasher films
cheapie B movie monsters
Japanese monster films

Let's not forget disaster movies in general.
Shadow Arena Records:

Julia Bristow
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Julia Bristow » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:11 am

gzilla46 wrote:
Sydney Aradi wrote:C'mon folks, Bay's films aren't REALLY offensive to humanity are they? If that's the case then so are the following:

Slasher films
cheapie B movie monsters
Japanese monster films

Let's not forget disaster movies in general.

Yeah that too.

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:29 am

Gawdziller wrote:The thing about Emmerich vs. Bay is that both are bombastic directors who got worse with the more resources Hollywood gave them.

Agreed 100% :)

Gawdziller wrote: But the difference for me is that Emmerich is dumb yet harmless while Bay goes loud and obnoxious. I can watch Emmerich far easier than I can Bay.

I guess I'm too much of a Transformers fan to be effected in that way. I'd say Emmerich's best has to be Stargate. I admit, really do enjoy that film immensely. But he has some early films that might rival his worst now, which might be the upcoming White House Down. But I've made a promise to myself not to see it, so I'll have to go with 2012. I actually think every film he makes gets progressively worse.

I would agree that Bay's worst would have to be Armageddon, but aside from the goofy nonsensical plot, I really didn't like the cast. Ben Affleck (awful), and at the time I realy didn't like Liv Tyler. Though I admit as she has gotten older and more mature, my heart has softened a bit towards her ;) .

gzilla46
EDF Soldier

Postby gzilla46 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:42 am

o.supreme wrote:
Gawdziller wrote:The thing about Emmerich vs. Bay is that both are bombastic directors who got worse with the more resources Hollywood gave them.

Agreed 100% :)

Gawdziller wrote: But the difference for me is that Emmerich is dumb yet harmless while Bay goes loud and obnoxious. I can watch Emmerich far easier than I can Bay.

I guess I'm too much of a Transformers fan to be effected in that way. I'd say Emmerich's best has to be Stargate. I admit, really do enjoy that film immensely. But he has some early films that might rival his worst now, which might be the upcoming White House Down. But I've made a promise to myself not to see it, so I'll have to go with 2012. I actually think every film he makes gets progressively worse.

I would agree that Bay's worst would have to be Armageddon, but aside from the goofy nonsensical plot, I really didn't like the cast. Ben Affleck (awful), and at the time I realy didn't like Liv Tyler. Though I admit as she has gotten older and more mature, my heart has softened a bit towards her ;) .

I disagree. I think Bay's worst is Pearl Harbor. Because it was insulting to the people in the real disaster with its historical inaccuracies. My best Bay films are the Transformers trilogy. Thanks to Bay's TF movies, I love Transformers now.
Shadow Arena Records:

Return to “Media Center”