Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:27 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So down the road eventually due to still having plenty of anime I have to still watch I'm gonna give One Punch Man. So I just wanted to ask in your guys opinion but how good is the show?

very.

I'm barely an anime fan and I love it

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:31 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So down the road eventually due to still having plenty of anime I have to still watch I'm gonna give One Punch Man. So I just wanted to ask in your guys opinion but how good is the show?

It's amazing. Also you aught to check out Jonathan Young's cover of the theme song:

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:14 pm

MikeSTZillak wrote:It's amazing. Also you aught to check out Jonathan Young's cover of the theme song:

I really like Jonathan Young (and Caleb Hyles). He's a great musician. But he really needs to stop adding reverb to his voice with every song. It doesn't always fit.

One Punch is a pretty good show. I would definitely recommend it.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:27 pm

One Punch Man is a beautiful deconstruction of superheroes and the superhero story. It's funny, filled with beautifully animated action, and surprisingly emotionally uplifting. Best of all what makes it a beautiful superhero story telling tradition deconstruction is that it is also an amazing superhero story unto itself.

godzilla98rules
Futurian

Postby godzilla98rules » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 pm

It's in the top 5 of my favorite shows. You'll love it.

Just keep in mind that it's a parody of superhero stories. It's not meant to be taken seriously.....
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image
R.I.P. George Root III

UltimateDitto
Futurian

Postby UltimateDitto » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Definitely give it a watch! I enjoyed it tons!
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

MorgansTShirt
Yojimbo

Postby MorgansTShirt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:19 am

Anyone else seen an anime called Mononoke? No, not Mononoke Hime, just Mononoke. It's probably the only anime TV series I can say I really, really enjoy. And it doesn't rely on those tired cliches of panty shots, bouncing boobs, pointless fight scenes, power of friendship, or pseudo-philosophic monologues derived from shallow Wikipedia articles or quick-and-easy self-help articles.

It's a series of surreal stories set during the Edo period of Japan, following a mysterious medicine man who heals people plagued by phantasmal entities. The narratives move forward like a mystifying flow of thoughts or dreams, and the visuals are so rich, colorful, and out of the ordinary; many frames are works of art in themselves! The way the medicine man unfolds the characters' psyches like multi-layered flowers also brings out a truly cathartic element I so rarely feel in TV shows.

Having recently studied Japanese history, with special interest in folklore, I'm also pleased with how these stories are so modern yet so cleverly express an attitude or reality that is prevalent in the world of folk culture.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:45 pm

On the subject of One Punch Man, the first episode of Season 2 premiered on Hulu today.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:55 pm

One Punch Man is worth watching for Mumen Rider alone.

Stand-Up Pedal Mode....ACTIVATED!!! :lol:

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:32 pm

One Punch Man is pretty fun. Though the last guy he fights at the end of season 1...the feels.

MorgansTShirt
Yojimbo

Postby MorgansTShirt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:14 pm

Hm... I remembered watching half of the first season of One Punch Man. I thought it was kinda funny and quirky and clever at times. Is it really worth finishing though if I initially thought it was just "meh" entertainment at best? I never got a feeling of forward momentum while watching the episodes go on.

Edit: to be fair, it's kinda rare for satires and parodies to impress me, so maybe that's my main issue with the first half at least. At the very least, I think satirical anime tend to be miles beyond the usual brainless fluff like Naruto or Gurren Lagann.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Big oof
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 pm

MorgansTShirt wrote: I think satirical anime tend to be miles beyond the usual brainless fluff like Naruto.

oof

Pain would like to speak with you.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Apprentice. 竜主. ニューヨーク市. SaveTheAmazon.
tyrantgoji wrote:Rodan actually claps cheeks.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:44 pm

2004Zilla wrote:Big oof

Added in 2 days 18 hours 18 minutes 40 seconds:
Has anyone here seen any of Satoshi Kon's work?

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

G-Matt
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby G-Matt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 am

MikeSTZillak wrote:Has anyone here seen any of Satoshi Kon's work?

So far I've only seen Perfect Blue, and I think that's the perfect one (no pun intended) to get started with on his work. It's an undeniable anime masterpiece.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Postby Titanoterror98 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 am

G-Matt wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:Has anyone here seen any of Satoshi Kon's work?

So far I've only seen Perfect Blue, and I think that's the perfect one (no pun intended) to get started with on his work. It's an undeniable anime masterpiece.

I watched Millenium Actress last month and I couldn't have asked for a better introduction to Satoshi Kon's work. It's beautiful, moving, inspired; everything about feels like a tribute to cinema itself.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Anonziller
Yojimbo

Postby Anonziller » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am

It's great. Also check out Mob Psycho 100, same writer, equally incredible animation and similar comedy but way more over the top.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
G-Grasper

Postby GodzillaXGomoraFight » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:00 pm

Just starter watching the Fist of the North Star anime on Crunchyroll. About 10 episodes in now and I was wondering if any of you have seen it before. I was reading some posts in Reddit and the reactions to the anime were mixed. I personally am a sucker for old anime and I like the aesthetic of the show (reminds me a lot of Trigun which was a great show). What do you guys think of Fist of the North Star?

xolta
Samurai

Postby xolta » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:49 pm

God in heaven season 2 of one punch mans animation has gone down the toilet. Its soooooo soo bad. :c

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Postby Titanoterror98 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:45 pm

^Well that sucks. If that's the case, Netflix only having season 1 doesn't seem so bad.

I finished the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga last week and it. Was. Incredible! I've spent the past couple years burrowing the volumes from the library since I first the movie two years ago. It was a journey unlike any other. I can't recommend it enough.

Next up, the second half of Gurren Lagann and the first volume of the Urusei Yatsura collection!
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Return to “Media Center”