Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by o.supreme »

My error, you are right, there are 6 Zoalords left, but we have seen Archanphel & Imakarum's Zoaforms. Although I woldn't be surprised if Archanphel still has some powers yet unseen. If he can return from the Black Hole, then he must be able to do just about anything, kind of like Gumby :lol: .

Is Galenos the ruler of the Africa Branch of Cronos? If so then yes we haven't seen much of him, hopefully soon. Also I hope as you do that Shin takes down the other 2 rogues, or in a round about way assists the Guyvers to do so.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I've watched Evangelion: You Are (Not) Alone several times since I've bought it. Fantastic.

I eagerly await Part 2.

Thus commences my contribution to the Anime thread. Carry on.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I dont give any legitimacy to such lists AH, dont worry about it. Indvidual tastes are diverse, and what is popular today is forgotten tomorrow. I had to go to #21 before I had even seen anything on that list (Spirited Away, not my favorite Anime film, not even my favorite Studio Ghibli).

If its not Robots, or Space Opera I know I dont even need to waste my time. But the great thing about Anime is that others can love it and never have even seen anything I have seen.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Here's a recommendataion for anyone, because I just pulled it out of obscurity in my DVD collection:

Kishin Corps (7 part OVA series about robots/aliens during WWII) It may also go under the name "Geo-Armor" but Kishin Corps is the correct name

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Draglord wrote:@ O. Supreme, Why does that anime sound so familiar? I know I heard that name before, but I just can't remember where. I'll have to check it out.
Unfortunately I cant referrence pictures or video clips from work, but here is a short article:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... .php?id=35

The funny thing is, when the VHS first came out in the US early-mid 1990's, they were like $30.00 for 2 episodes! I just got the DVD of the whole series used on Amazon for under 5.00 ;) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005 ... ss_product

I just think its cool because you dont often see Robots done in Old tech (gears, steam, vacuum tubes etc...) . And of course the Panzer Knight is just Awesome! Basically it is an Aliens providing Nazi's with their technology to help them win the war, but earth Scientists have developed their own weapons to counter the Aliens. It is pretty cool for an obscure little Anime.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Let me start with this: Gurren Lagann kicks ass. I love all the characters, but Yoko is my favorite.

I'll follow up with this: I re-watched Cowboy Bebop. Still isn't my favorite, but I enjoyed it more this time. I really like the end - the "Space Cowboy" line in particular. OST still blows me away.

I also saw Adolescence of Utena. It was... unusual. Still haven't seen the series though.

NEVER watch Green Green, EVER. Not even if you like the harem/fanservice type of anime.

Now I'm going to be re-watching Yu-Gi-Oh (the Japanese version, 'cause the English dub pretty much rewrites the show and the characters). I'm going to make it people, all five seasons - every episode. I'll use this thread to catalogue my progress. Why Yu-Gi-Oh? I honestly don't know. I've just got this... craving for it, I guess. Right now I'm still in the first season - the Duelist Kingdom season. Haven't gotten too far in (college is eating up quite a bit of my free time).

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

Linebarrels of Iron part 2 is coming out 10.5.10. It's animated by the same people who did Gundam Seed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e63f81XxNxE
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

Has anybody else watched high school of the dead? I'm thinking of watching it and wanted to get a opinion on it.
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I actually saw the original Ghost in the Shell movie in the theater in its extremely limited run 10+ years ago. It was an awesome event I'll never forget. Sadly I have never seen the second film, or any of the TV series. Oh and I almost forgot, I had a PS1 game for a long time that was pretty cool where you went around in one of the walking tanks and basically just blew stuff up. Good Times. Oh and would you consider Dominion Tank Police in that same category even though it is more comedy thank anything else?

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Been chugging along in my Yu-Gi-Oh marathon ever since I announced it a few days ago. Right now I'm up to Episode Sixteen and will probably get through a few more today. So far it's about as good as I remember it, but because they had about fifty-something manga chapters to catch up on while pressing ahead with the Duelist Kingdom arc, there's a lot going on and a lot of backstory crammed into these episodes. For example, Episode One must condense Yugi's two manga duels with Kaiba into a single episode. Still I'm loving it. The Japanese version is far superior to the raping 4Kids gave this series.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

wataru wrote:Im downloading Voltron Defender of the Universe. Just the Lions. Screw the Vehicles.
Why not just DL Golion? Oh and for what its worth BOTH series are awesome. IMHO

Lion Force= Star Wars
Vehicle Force= Star Trek
Last edited by o.supreme on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

alienhulk2099 wrote:Wasn't Vehicle Voltron originally known as Dairugger XV or something like that?
Yes I have the first 2 volumes on DVD, and the 3rd comes out in a few weeks. I know a lot of people get overwhelmed because you have 15 heroic characters, not to mention the crew of the Ruggar Guard (their flag ship), and the many alien leaders/generals etc... It is an awesome Super Robot & Space Opera put together.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

wataru wrote:Im weird. I love the Harmony Gold edit of Macross, Mospeada and Southern Cross
Robotech. Its ok to say the name, its not dirty or anything ;) . I like those series also, as that is how many of us were first exposed to those shows . It takes quite a writing talent to take 3 totaly unrelated series and rewrite them to seem like they are in fact connected. Macron 1 failed in that attempt as did other shows of the same type.

AH- SRW:OG TI dosen't start for about 3 weeks. here is a cool article though, looks like we'll be able to see them instantly:

http://www.mania.com/super-robot-wars-o ... 25184.html

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

I guess this new series will cover the inspectors and the einst huh? that will be really cool.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

So... I finally finished the Duelist Kingdom portion of the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh. Good stuff so far, but I don't know if I'm looking forward to that five-episode game between Yugi and Otogi. But I'm taking a break from YGO for this weekend to focus on something else.

Is anyone here a Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki fan? I'm curious about some of these oh-so-amazing movies I keep hearing about in anime circles and figure I'll give one of 'em a watch this weekend.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm a big Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki fan, and go watch Castle in the Sky. Its a amazing movie, and Totoro is great too (It was my first anime).
Alright, I'll see if I can find it. Thanks.
The only Ghibli films I've seen would be Spirited Away and Valley of the Wind. I loved them both.

The_Olden_Thing
Monarch Researcher

Post by The_Olden_Thing »

STOP THE PRESSES!

New Berserk anime!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lihPs4BoDvo

A new adaptation of one of the greatest manga series of the past twenty years? HELL YEAH!

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

Stuckey wrote:
wataru wrote:Stuckey,

What's your taste shifted to in Anime? Harem, comedy, sci fi, robots, monsters, action?
Dude, I'm all over the place in Anime. But I'd say probably action is what the majority would be considered. Once I finish Higurashi I'll probably watch Blood+ and then maybe give one of AH's suggestions a try. Also should probably watch Deathnote and NGE, as I've only seen the first episode of each.

...And hopefully there will be a season 3 of K-ON!! soon...
I really liked Blood+ . Also if you saw Blood: The last Vampire and expecting this to be a sequel to it, it's not.

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

I didn't have that problem since I had (still haven't) seen Blood: The last vampire. Blood+ is a little slow in the beginning, but it really picks up after about 5 or so episodes.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Back to my Yu-Gi-Oh marathon...

So I finished Season One finally and began on Season Two - which starts off with a two-episode long duel between Yugi and Bandit Keith. Can't say I was too fond of it, though it does introduce Malik (who becomes the main villain in this season and the next one). I'm more interested in the episodes leading up to the creation of Battle City and the introduction of the Egyptian God Cards.

On top of that, I've also watched a Miyazaki film - Castle in the Sky (thanks to Hellspawn). It's pretty good. I love the Miyazaki films I've seen. They're really fun to watch.

I'm also going to take a look into the phenomenon known as K-ON, something I tried earlier and didn't care for. I'll try it again.

And I've also found a manga known as Zettai Shoujo Seiiki Amnesian, which re-introduces the characters Himeko and Chikane from Kannazuki No Miko in a new, much more fanservice-oriented story (Chikane gets stripped in almost every chapter).