Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Jomei
Futurian

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Jomei »

Are you watching FMA Brotherhood or the original?
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Jomei wrote:Are you watching FMA Brotherhood or the original?
The original, but once I'm done with that, I'll get onto the Brotherhood.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I think most people feel Brotherhood is better. Just be aware that, at least at first, its story overlaps a lot with the original, but then it follows the manga much more closely and wraps everything up in a way more satisfying way.

If you like Inuyasha (I really enjoyed the early episodes, which I saw when I was just discovering anime), you might try Ranma 1/2, which is based on manga by the same author. It's quite hilarious, has some great music, and you can recognize Rumiko's character archetypes that keep showing up. I also hear that Maison Ikkoku (another Rumiko Takahashi story) is fantastic.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

I actually plan on watching Ranma 1/2 eventually.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Same here.

I watched the first episode of Gurren Lagann a little while ago. First impression is that it seems potentially pretty cool, and is dumb in a very good kind of way. Characters seem likable enough, so far. I'll keep going.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Gurren Lagann slows down a bit after the first episode, but once it picks up again, it NEVER STOPS.

Meanwhile, Haruhi Suzumiya-chan is possibly the weirdest thing I've seen in a while.
Image Image

three
Keizer

Post by three »

i am getting more and more excited for book of murder (black butler). just saw screenshots from the japanese (unsubbed) version and i can't wait till we get anything subbed for viewing here.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

I enjoy a quality anime here and there (movies particularly), and was super into it during my early teens, but I stopped indiscriminately watching everything anime when I realized that just like anything there is good and bad. And nothing could ever top FLCL for me. That show is second in my mind only to Twin Peaks.
'And yet another one?'

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

FLCL is one of my all-time favorites, too, but there has been other worthwhile stuff since then. I went through a similar thought process, feeling burned out on the medium because I felt like I had seen the best, and the rest was shallow stuff. Rather, I just needed to broaden the genres I would watch and delve into more than just the Adult Swim-approved mainstream.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Jomei wrote:FLCL is one of my all-time favorites, too, but there has been other worthwhile stuff since then. I went through a similar thought process, feeling burned out on the medium because I felt like I had seen the best, and the rest was shallow stuff. Rather, I just needed to broaden the genres I would watch and delve into more than just the Adult Swim-approved mainstream.
sounds more like a preference problem than an anime problem. i think alot of people have that problem now, and are afraid to jump out of their approved anime shell. i was for a long time and then it broke down, and i watched shows like Ouran Host Club. they're alright, but it's not an overnight process of dumping the old habits of watching "fight fight fight" and action-y anime.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Three, it's not nice to bait others, even if you say you are just kidding.

Verbal warning to watch what you say of others. Next time, it's an actual warning.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

seamus
Monarch Researcher

Post by seamus »

It is a preference problem. And believe me, I've never been limited to mainstream anime. I hold many anime films and shows in high regard; FLCL just happens to reach me in a way no other anime has.. That said there is always good anime being made since. There is also trash anime being made. It's like pop music; the way it goes. Admittedly, I'm not always a fan of the way anime series look nowadays, but a film/show of substance will always overrule those preferences.
'And yet another one?'

three
Keizer

Post by three »

seamus wrote: Admittedly, I'm not always a fan of the way anime series look nowadays, but a film/show of substance will always overrule those preferences.
mm. me neither. sometimes it feels like they're trying to capture something but they, themselves don't know what it is. you know what i mean?

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Been watching Samurai Champloo for the past week in order to get myself back into the grove of watching Netflix (I spent the last two months going through the Gamera movies, Rebirth of Mothra, and Lord of the Rings). I am coming to like the show more and more with each episode I watch. Mugen is probably my favorite character right now as I just watched the episodes where he joins his old pirate crew for a heist. Mugen has the most personality in my opinion and it is fun to watch his antics. Jin is good too, but I am not a fan of how quiet he is or how ambiguous his emotions can become. Fuu is a mixed bag for me. I like some qualities about her such as her personality but I am bugged by her stupidity and constant desire for food. I am expecting that her story will unfold in the last couple of episodes so I am looking for that pay-off. I can see some of the hip-hop influence, which makes the show unique from others; however, the degree of its influence is not satisfactory for me. I feel conflicted by the late-1800s Meiji Japan and hip-hop influence because it seems that the show has two very different identities that do not exactly mesh. I was looking forward to hearing rap that I knew, perhaps the Wu Tang Clan. Their songs sometimes concern martial arts and East Asian cultures, so I figured that the show would use that (especially in the second episode where Jin fights the assassin in the bamboo woods, which is similar to a scene from The Boondocks in tone). Despite my criticisms, I am going to see this show through to the end.

On a side note, do any of you recommend an anime on Netflix that I should watch next? I would prefer a show that did not have a large amount of episodes. I have already watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Trigun, and some of Attack on Titan.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:On a side note, do any of you recommend an anime on Netflix that I should watch next? I would prefer a show that did not have a large amount of episodes. I have already watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Trigun, and some of Attack on Titan.
Looking at what's on Netflix...

Gurren Lagann (20-some eps) - Almost universally loved among anime fans. An over the top mecha epic.
Psycho Pass (20-some eps)- A pretty decent dystopian crime/sci-fi thriller series.
Welcome to the NHK (24 eps) - a Comedy/drama series about a hikkikomori guy. These people, for various reasons, retreat into their rooms and can no longer face the world.
Madoka Magica (12 eps) - A dark re-imagining of the magical girl genre, this show is visually striking and one of the most popular and influential shows of recent years.
Kill la Kill (24 eps) - I don't even know where to start. It's somewhere between Gurren Lagann and FLCL with a side of ecchi and shounen fighting. Tons of fun.
Soul Eater (A lot of eps?) - A pretty decent shounen fighting show. Stands somewhat apart from the rest of the pack for its interesting world and distinct art design.
The Devil is a Part-Timer! (13 eps) - I actually just started this, and... well, it's about the devil becoming a person and working at "MgRonald's." Yup.

Princess Jellyfish is supposed to be good, too, but I haven't seen any yet.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Jomei wrote:
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:On a side note, do any of you recommend an anime on Netflix that I should watch next? I would prefer a show that did not have a large amount of episodes. I have already watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Trigun, and some of Attack on Titan.
Looking at what's on Netflix...

Gurren Lagann (20-some eps) - Almost universally loved among anime fans. An over the top mecha epic.
Psycho Pass (20-some eps)- A pretty decent dystopian crime/sci-fi thriller series.
Welcome to the NHK (24 eps) - a Comedy/drama series about a hikkikomori guy. These people, for various reasons, retreat into their rooms and can no longer face the world.
Madoka Magica (12 eps) - A dark re-imagining of the magical girl genre, this show is visually striking and one of the most popular and influential shows of recent years.
Kill la Kill (24 eps) - I don't even know where to start. It's somewhere between Gurren Lagann and FLCL with a side of ecchi and shounen fighting. Tons of fun.
Soul Eater (A lot of eps?) - A pretty decent shounen fighting show. Stands somewhat apart from the rest of the pack for its interesting world and distinct art design.
The Devil is a Part-Timer! (13 eps) - I actually just started this, and... well, it's about the devil becoming a person and working at "MgRonald's." Yup.

Princess Jellyfish is supposed to be good, too, but I haven't seen any yet.
Thank you for the advice. Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, and The Devil is a Part-Timer seem very interesting to me.

Konica
Monarch Researcher

Post by Konica »

Any one seen K anime? Ep1 was weird, should I keep watching?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Konica wrote: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb1b1 ... o1_500.gif

why not? if you enjoy something, keep enjoying it until it stops being enjoyable. ^_^

Konica
Monarch Researcher

Post by Konica »

three wrote:
Konica wrote: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb1b1 ... o1_500.gif

why not? if you enjoy something, keep enjoying it until it stops being enjoyable. ^_^
True, true. I just wanted to get others' opinions on it is all :)

three
Keizer

Post by three »

aye, i know it's not totally in depth but that's mine. some of my favorite anime have come from just going head first in and hoping i didn't dive in shallow water. :lol: