Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by o.supreme »

alienhulk2099 wrote:I forgot to mention that yesterday I watched a rare half-hour movie called The Great Battle of The Flying Saucers, done by Go Nagai himself. It's supposed to be a "pilot" of sorts for Grendizer and the opening song is a pretty good indicator to that. Don't let the title and trailer fool ya, it's one of the those "tragic romance" stories with a robot named Gattaiger thrown in at the beginning and end. Good, but it could have been better. I found it kind of strange that the Yaban bothered destroying so many world cities when they were just hunting down Duke. Oh well, the final fight scene was still neat. 8-)
I have that on a DVD set of Mazinger Movies. I think it is odd because the theme song sings "Gattaiger" in place of "Grendizer" but Duke Fleed's actual robot name in that OVA is Roboizer (sp??). There is also an actual animted short OVA about UFO's in general, sort of like "Unsolved Mysteries" Anime style.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Godzilla2000
Ronin

Post by Godzilla2000 »

So has anyone here read Clover/Kishin? If so, how did you feel about it? I thought it was pretty good.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Just finished watching Gundam 00 up to episode #38 (season 2 volume 2 from Bandai) . It is interesting to see how the Gundam's various abilities are amped up throughout the series I know this always happens, either a Gundam gets destroyed & replaced by a stronger one, or powers are upgraded, or both, but it is still fun to watch. Setsuna &Lockon (or his twin brother...) are probably to only heroic character that dont annoy me though. Even though Stsuna is bascially a clone of Heero from Gundam Wing. I just hope when Bandai finishes their DVD releases at the end of this year, they can concentrate on releasing some more older series (Hey Bandai how about ZZ and Victory please!!) I have seen them on-line but I would like to get a licensed English dub.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Draglord wrote:They're releasing Turn A Gundam on dvd here in the US. Personally, I would've rather seen Gundam X get released first, but oh well.
TurnA is one of those odd series either you love/hate it because its so different, and I really haven't seen enough to make a decision yet, but at least its something. Thanks Draglord. Can you provide any links, Bandai's official site dosen't show anything unless I'm just not looking in the right place.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

alienhulk2099 wrote: but good lord the plot and pacing was just all over the place! I probably would have liked this more if it was shorter and if they didn't jump around a lot in the beginning.
I think the reason why Genocyber suffers from this is because its 5 parts were animated so far apart (I believe the chapters were done 6 months to a year apart in some cases). and with no Manga referrence it really is 3 seperate stories not really tied together (part 1, part 2&3, & part 4&5) . Wiki says this came out in 93/94 but I thought it was older for some reason.... Anime has gotten a lot better in terms of being able to crank out stories if they want to. I remember wondering why each episode OVA of MazinKaiser were released 3 months apart, when the animation, while awesome, wasn't something that i hadn't seen in a weekly series.

Take Gundam Unicorn for instance- Why several months between each episode? The animation isn't superior to anything else of the same genre

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Interesting this was brought back as just today I began watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, some weird mecha anime. I just finished the first episode and liked it.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Draglord wrote:On their facebook page, Dark Horse is taking suggestions for new manga titles to acquire: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=430072274100
Interesting, does DHP still hold the comic book rights to Godzilla? I wouldn't mind seeing some of the old Godzilla manga's associated with the heisei films translated

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Hellspawn28 wrote:If DH does release the Guyver manga then do you will think they will start where the Viz manga left off, or start from the first chapter?
I would think/hope they start from the beginning. I would like to see a more accurate translation. Dont get me wrong, i like the Viz volumes, but the name translation was horrible.

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

Full Metal Panic! - Complete Series on DVD and Blu-ray 9.7.10 - Anime Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esF0awoqHg&feature=sub
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I have only seen an enjoyed 1 Anime an that was when i was really young an it was (Guyver: Biobooster Armor) it was the one with 12 Episodes only.

I remember it being really late an i saw ''Guyver 1 get pretty much raped by Enzyme'' on T.V. prior to this i had never seen a Super-Hero not just get killed but tortured an ripped apart. While i may not enjoy Anime it just isn't my thing but i will always have a soft Spot for that Guyver Series.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

That series is a classic in my mind because it is basically the first "adult" anime I saw, althuogh I was just 16 when I first saw it back in 1992. The newer series from 2005 (26 episodes) is more true to the Manga (although it takes some liberties), and while I do enjoy it much more, I dont think it has the shock value of that original 12 episode series, maybe its just because I've grown callous, but still, the new seies is definitely worth seeing if you enjoy the first one. Also the one shot "Guyver Out of Control" OVA is weird but I like it because it is so old, the animation design of the characters matches how they looked in the very first manga volume.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

alienhulk2099 wrote:So Omega Supreme, got any opinions on Super Robot Wars L?
Unfortunately I cant really give an informed opinion as I haven't seen much, and the game dosen't come out for another 3 months. Also I haven't played any SRW DS games, and the saddest thing about that is, you dont need any converter to play them on a US NDS. I still have yet to play the first one (SRW W) so I can finally be GoLion.

But from what I've seen the omission of Getter Robo is a little shocking. Also adding Izcer series, dosen't impress me. To me those series weren't mecha oriented even if they had a few. (although Its probably been almost 12 years since the one and only time I saw Iczer 1&3, I could be wrong) Their are far to many SR/RR series to choose from to start in on the ones that only have mechs as plot devices. Dancouga Nova & Macross Frontier are nice additions though ;). I've only seen a few short previews, i dont even know if the full one is out yet.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've actually never wanted a DS, I'm just not that into it. I just wanted to play as GoLion. My next SRW will be either SRW Z (the last PS2 game) or Neo (if I choose to soft mod my Wii).

Like I said it has been several years since I saw Iczer 1&3 (and no desire to see again btw...), but IIRC there was a lot of cleaveage, but no actual nudity, but then again, maybe my subconscious is just blotting it out.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Takign this thread in a new direction:

New subject: Theme Songs. Most people who watch Anime ove the theme sogs. CD soundtracks are immensely popular in japan, not so much in the US but we all love the music right?

My question is... I've found that most anime have a better opening theme than ending theme (naturally to get the audiance hooked). But there are a few, that I can actually say the opposite of. Here's my question: Can anybody name any anime series that in YOUR Opinion, has a better ending theme, than opening one?

Off the top of my head I can only thing of one. The original Science Ninja Team :Gatchaman. The ending theme song resonates much more in fans than the opening does (although for a soft opening song it is pretty memorable). I'm sure i'll think of others, but feel free to post away with any comments about ending themes.
Last edited by o.supreme on Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

The info was cool, thanks AH. i was probably goign to go with SRWX anyway (my PS2 system is alreasy to go vs my Wii I have to pay money to modd). And it just seems more to my liking. I dont know how SRW on the Wii will work being all "interactive" ;) . I'm a bit taken back by your choice Shin Mazinger Z. I thought the first opening theme was pretty kick-ass, (actually sung it in my car while CD is playing) the 2nd was ok... but the ending theme was, as ending themes go, not that great. But different tastes for different people I understand. I'm just happy i actually got the CD of this with my DVD set (one of only 2 Anime CD's I have heh...)

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

Well my mom is getting me the first Giant manga volumes(the ones that are 3 in 1) of Ruroni Kenshin. I also got .hack/4koma it is really funny, I also got Volume 18 of D.gray-man. I suggest to anyone who is a fan of the anime or hasn't heard of it to check out the manga.
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings All,

Been a little slow in here lately, maybe everyone is just too busy for anime at the moment (like myself) :( . But anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any Animes, or knew of any with mutiple english dubs? The only one I have is Giant Robo. I dont know why a 2nd dub was done, I dont think the first was that bad, but I do know of several that I "wish" would get another dub. Just something I thought was interesting. Feel free to add any if you know of them.

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

o.supreme wrote:Greetings All,

Been a little slow in here lately, maybe everyone is just too busy for anime at the moment (like myself) :( . But anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any Animes, or knew of any with mutiple english dubs? The only one I have is Giant Robo. I dont know why a 2nd dub was done, I dont think the first was that bad, but I do know of several that I "wish" would get another dub. Just something I thought was interesting. Feel free to add any if you know of them.

I don't know if this counts,but Yu Yu hakusho had 2 different English dubs for the special and the movie. Both weren't funimation's dub either.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

alienhulk2099 wrote:I take it O Supreme got Super Robot Wars Z and is enjoying it. :P
Unfortunately that is probably going to have to wait until october sometime. But I did finally catch up with The Guyver Manga (I think...) I discovered there is a bit of inconsistancy of the numbering ofchapters between the bound volumes & individual releases. Anyway hthe last one I think currently is #177. Guyver III (Agito) finally returns to Japan and confronts Guyver I (Sho). Apparantly this is a showdown fans have wanted for a long time, but I think is pointless. I know GIII's motives have always been self serving, but why does he have to confront basically the only other person who can really help him defeat Cronos?

Up until this point though, the series has been pretty cool. Currently 6 of the 12 Zoalords are out of action (5 dead, and 1 dying having his crystal removed by the mysterious "Apollon") . Also is is nice to see Valkyria introduced to the Manga, as she was originally used in the OVA "Out of control" almost 20 years ago as an alternative Guyver II. The creation of an artificial control medal/Biobooster is a little cheezy to me, but I guess no more so than the good guys having an artificial Zoalord (Shizu aka Griselda). If a 2nd Anime series is made, I think an ecellent ending point would be volume 25 where Gigantic turns into Exceed to confront Kabla Khan (or whatever his name is). Seeing Guyver basically become "Ultraman" was kind of cool in a geeky sort of way.

With so many issues unresolved, new characters arriving, and old ones coming back (Guyot should have stayed dead IMHO) I hope the series writers dont intend to end the series soon especially when Guyver I & III do have their confrontation. It will be kind of interesting as I can see them mentally arguing more over the use of Gigantic than actally fighting, but I guess only time will tell.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Draglord wrote: Also, which of the dead Zoalords did you like? I liked Purgstall and Kabral Khan, their powers were awesome and I think that their fights with the Gigantic were some of the best fights in the Guyver series. I also liked the Gigantic Dark vs Imakarum fight.

Personally I am still hoping somehow that Imakarum is faking his allegiance to Archanphel, and in the end turns on him. I really liked Murakami as a hero, I just dont think even the power of a Zoalord could turn someone with such convictions. Purgstall was probably one of the most competant of the Zoalords, too bad he had to be one ofthe first to die. The battle between Khan & Exceed was pretty cool once he became the Dragon Lord and wasn't the gross brain thing.
Draglord wrote:I disagree with Guyot. He's an awesome villain and I just had a feeling he was gonna come back somehow. I think it's pretty obvious that they're gonna have Guyot get Val's Guyver and it malfunctions on him which will result in his death.
Dont get me wrong, I really like Guyot as well, which is why I think they should have let him rest. Sometimes when you keep bringing back characters it diminishes their significance, although your point about obtaining the GII-F's armor is very logical. Stil him not being a Zoalord anymore still dosen't meet his original goal of being an "all powerful" bio-boosted Zoalord.
Draglord wrote: I think the series is starting to reach the end, but I don't think Takaya is gonna rush it. I think the Draglord/Guyver XD fight was the end to the "second arc" with the arrival of the Gigantic being the ending to the "first arc". Right now, I think we're at the beginning of the third and final arc. I think the series will end at around volume 45 and remember that the latest chapters are the start of book 28. There's alot of ground for them to cover.
Agreed. I know some issues are very far off, but I wonder if before it all ends there will actually be a bio-boosted Zoalord, or if the creators will return to finish what they couldn't before, or if perhaps one or both guyvers will be called into their "intergalactic" war. Also I know we have yet to see the battle forms of the remaining 6 Zoalords, but I wonder about Dr. Barcus. Since the manga has gone on long enough to incorporate some items from the anime series, I wonder if they will look at the movies. As bad as the first one was, I thought "Valcus" form of a large dinosaur like creaure was kind of cool. One things for sure, it sure has come along way from one boy wanting to protect his friends 8-)