Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

tymon wrote:Any suggestions for getting into anime in general? I've never watched one before. :oops:
Death Note
Code Geass
Hellsing Ultimate
Evangelion
Monster

Those are my best anime recommendations.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Tohosaurus wrote:What do people think about Akira? Obviously it's well known but Having see it only once I'm due for a re-watch. It gets kinda weird at the end and it lost me a bit. Not even so much negatively but just literally lost lol.
I'm not a fan, honestly. I still consider it a must-see anime film, if only because of the insane production values, but in terms of personal enjoyment it's not all that high for me. Ghost in the Shell is my go-to classic anime film, and I'd take it over Akira any day of the week.
And suggestions for space anime? Harlock, SBY, and Sidonia are a few I can think of off hand.
Outlaw Star is my favorite as far as proper space anime goes. I'm a huge Gundam fan too, though I don't really consider any of the series to be space anime despite many of them being set at least partially in space.

tymon wrote:Any suggestions for getting into anime in general? I've never watched one before. :oops:
I'm going to echo the Attack on Titan suggestions. That's definitely a good place to start. Easily accessible both in terms of just being able to watch it and being able to find it, and it's not too long at 25 episodes.

Aside from that, the 2005 Guyver anime is great. Big O is another good one for kaiju fans. Highschool of the Dead is a blast if you like boobs, guns and zombies.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Inferno Rodan wrote: I'm not a fan, honestly. I still consider it a must-see anime film, if only because of the insane production values, but in terms of personal enjoyment it's not all that high for me. Ghost in the Shell is my go-to classic anime film, and I'd take it over Akira any day of the week.
I guess more than anything I'm surprised this is considered one of the greats. Even if Shawshank Redemption or Blade Runner aren't on my personal list of all time favorites, I certainly "get" how they can be adored by so many. With Akira though.....I just don't. Meh, apparently it's not just me, but still a limited number of people.
MandaSaurus wrote: Two words: Cowboy Bebop
Derzerb wrote: Legends of Galactic Heroes, Cowboy Bebop (I'm guessing you've seen it already though), Space Runaway Ideon (especially the movie, Be Invoked), Outlaw Star, Tekkaman Blade (ignore the sequel), Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Gunbuster, Martian Successor Nadesico, some of the Gundam (the UC era and 00 Gundam for starters) and Macross shows (Do You Remember Love), and maybe Heroic Age (Kinda debated about putting this one on here).
Inferno Rodan wrote: Outlaw Star is my favorite as far as proper space anime goes. I'm a huge Gundam fan too, though I don't really consider any of the series to be space anime despite many of them being set at least partially in space.
Thank you for the suggestions all! I'll have to start looking for some of these.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I'm going to veto the Attack on Titan suggestion. It is nothing more than flavor of the last year or so. Hell, just see the upcoming movies instead. Edit: I'm not saying it's bad or not to watch it, but tymon is a pretty savvy media consumer, so starting at the very most entry-level type anime rather than one of the best isn't really necessary.

Cowboy Bebop is what got a lot of westerners started IMO, and it's also one of the best the medium has to offer.
Neon Genesis Evangelion is essential watching and a personal favorite as well. It's just plain culturally significant. And Anno is involved with the new Godzilla, so...
Mushishi might also be to Tymon's liking. Supernatural mystery kind of show. Extremely mellow and beautiful, often haunting.
Any show by Masaaki Yuasa is worthwhile, especially the Tatami Galaxy or Ping Pong: the Animation. This guy is brilliant.
Uhh I also dig Shinbou's stuff, but be warned his content is decidedly otaku, with lots of meta shit going on (Madoka Magica) and perverse sexuality that might bother some folks depicted. (The toothbrush scene in Nisemonogatari)
Kyoto Animation is a wonderful studio, and their show The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a great way to taste the slice of life school genre through a decidedly experimental science fiction narrative. Watch in original broadcast order!

Also Gunbuster, Nichijou, FLCL, Berserk, Kaiji. Lots more. Fuck typing on phones.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

For stuff not yet mentioned-

Shin Sekai Yori is amazing and profound stuff. One of the best Sci fi anime out there and features excellent direction and soundtrack.
Fate/Zero is great if you prefer action instead, but don't want something mindless or shallow and want some genuine meat to chew on.
Monster is amazing. Tbh more Urasawa stuff should get adapted.
Stein's Gate is excellent if you like time travel stories. It's pretty otaku stuff but if you fan get past that its fantastic.
If you want to enter a Shounen FMAB is among the best.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Jomei wrote:Kyoto Animation is a wonderful studio, and their show The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a great way to taste the slice of life school genre through a decidedly experimental science fiction narrative. Watch in original broadcast order!
Speaking of KyoAni, Clannad is definitely an anime masterpiece in my eyes. Very highly recommend that one!
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Finally departing on my Gundam journey. Started on the original series today. Then went out and bought a bunch of MS Gundam gashapon. (Mobile Stand Gundam! lol they have suction cups and can help prop up a cell phone)

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/havikorotoy/ ... ?_ex=60x60

I got the translucent orange Zaku, a space colony, MSM-075 Z'Gok, and MS-09 Domu... only kind of know what these are, but I dig the designs and such.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Anyone here read Vinland Saga? One of the best recent mangas IMO. Tells a really epic tale of vikings, farmers and sailors.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Cowboy Bebop, definitely. It's an episodic series with a sci-fi/western style similar to Firefly or Guardians of the Galaxy, though certain episodes also dabble in comedy, romance, horror, and a few other genres. It's a wholly character-driven show, with high-quality animation and a delightful soundtrack. I don't think you can go wrong with Cowboy Bebop.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam is another excellent series, albeit a dated one now. Gundam is very much a war epic, told primarily from the perspectives of the soldiers on the front lines. There are protagonists and antagonists, but there aren't that many real "heroes" and rarely any "villains". It has its bumpy parts, but overall it's a masterfully written show.

Any of the films by Studio Ghibli are well worth a watch too. Hayao Miyazaki's films (Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, etc.) are probably the most accessible, but Ghibli's other films (e.g. Grave of the Fireflies, Whisper of the Heart) are well worth watching as well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Ghost in the Shell. It's a beautiful sci-fi/thriller about existentialism set in a dystopian future. I watched it for the first time shortly before I first saw Blade Runner, and I was struck by certain similarities in style and themes between the two films.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys! Based on further reading, I'm thinking I'll either start with Cowboy Bebop or Mushishi...
Jomei wrote:tymon is a pretty savvy media consumer
Takes one to know one. :P
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop, I just got done with Toys in the Attic. I'd kind of lost interest in the show (partly just because I was never a huge fan to begin with, and partly because Ed initially got on my nerves), and hadn't watched any of it in about two months. But Hulu has every episode dubbed, now, and I'd heard at least one opinion that the show is better dubbed. In my limited experience, I've never liked anime dubs; they tend to sound pretty awkward and artificial, and were part of what kept me from getting into anime for so many years. Anyway, I figured I'd give Bebop's dub a shot, and it actually does sound really good. The voices all fit the characters well, and sounded natural enough. I think I'll stick with it, at least for a few episodes. Maybe it'll help me get into the show a little more.

Also, I just found out that my local library has Neon Genesis Evanglion's 'platinum complete box'. I've been wanting to see this show for forever, but I don't know much about it, or where to start; I know there are 'Rebuild(s) of Evanglion', and probably some other stuff. Is whatever is in this set a good starting point?

EDIT: The library also has a bunch of the Miyazaki movies I've been wanting to see. Heck yes. It really shouldn't have taken me this long to think to check there.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

JAGzilla wrote:Also, I just found out that my local library has Neon Genesis Evanglion's 'platinum complete box'. I've been wanting to see this show for forever, but I don't know much about it, or where to start; I know there are 'Rebuild(s) of Evanglion', and probably some other stuff. Is whatever is in this set a good starting point?
The platinum box has the complete original TV series, so you should definitely start with that.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

G-Matt wrote: The platinum box has the complete original TV series, so you should definitely start with that.
Awesome, thanks. I'll rent it as soon as I can get to the library, then. I've been wanting to start a new show; Blood Blockade Battlefront was probably going to be it, but it just got knocked down the schedule. I've been so sick of hearing about EVA all the time, especially now that Anno is directing G16. Can't wait to finally see if it lives up to the hype.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Libraries are wonderful things, you know. I can't say how much I've depended on mine for seeing all the different films/shows I've meant to. 8-)

Speaking of NGE, yesterday I officially finished Sadamoto's manga adaptation of Neon Genesis Evangelion - and I think my appreciation went up several notches. NGE is, no doubt about it, a messed-up, tragic, and often downright cruel story; but ALL the characters are engaging and sympathetic in their own ways, even if they aren't actually likeable. Sadamoto's ending is much more cohesive and satisfying now than EoE was when I watched it, and I feel it ended on the best note possible. For all of its sci-fi, psychological and pseudo-religious trappings, NGE really is an intimate human story, and I admire it for that.
I've been strongly inclined to review the original series and the Rebuild films, but maybe I'll wait a little longer to digest Sadamoto's version.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Rody wrote:Speaking of NGE, yesterday I officially finished Sadamoto's manga adaptation of Neon Genesis Evangelion - and I think my appreciation went up several notches. NGE is, no doubt about it, a messed-up, tragic, and often downright cruel story; but ALL the characters are engaging and sympathetic in their own ways, even if they aren't actually likeable. Sadamoto's ending is much more cohesive and satisfying now than EoE was when I watched it, and I feel it ended on the best note possible. For all of its sci-fi, psychological and pseudo-religious trappings, NGE really is an intimate human story, and I admire it for that.
Couldn't agree more. I really appreciate the manga ending, even more so than EOE. Also, the extra chapter on the last volume was a nice surprise.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Gotta be honest, though--I don't really, truly care about anything Eva not made by Anno. It is, through and through, his story. And it's such a personal story, especially the original series up through End of Evangelion, made to express a lot of extremely dark, painful stuff that I feel like taking Anno out of the equation removes the heart of Eva. I can't really trust an ending made without his fucked-up hand in the mix.

Granted, the rest of the production crew had their influence as well, sometimes even working against his influence, but still, it doesn't get much closer to an auteur work in anime.

On an unrelated note, City Hunter's OP is absolutely stuck in my head. Such a sexy opening. :oops:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^Even having gone without seeing the original series or any of the films in quite a while, I'm recognizing that fact more and more; and I suspect that, ultimately, this will prove to be the biggest issue I had with understanding it in the first place.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

What do people think about Toriko and Gantz?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I enjoyed the Gantz manga quite a bit up until the last arc, particularly the rushed ending. It's quite a visceral ride, like a more stylish Attack on Titan IMO. The anime and films are pretty underwhelming, though, and they hardly tell any of the story, which will probably leave a nasty taste in your mouth because of where it leaves off.

An amusing new manga I found out about on /a/: Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu. Basically cute 4-panel comics about the life of an extremely shy girl trying to make friends. Extremely cute. If you check it out, read from the right side, top to bottom.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jomei, I watched the Gantz anime, do you know where I start reading the manga?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.