Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
goji89
Sazer

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by goji89 »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:27 am I've been wanting to watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann lately but i'm not too sure where to start. Should i go watch the movies first, or should i stick to the main anime?
Definitely the anime it was soo good. It's just crazy fun.

I need to get on the final season of Attack on Titan.
Last edited by goji89 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveIrwinFan96
G-Force Personnel

Post by SteveIrwinFan96 »

Live action Hellsing in the works by the 'John Wick' team for Amazon studios: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/anime__m ... ad-a182944

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

SteveIrwinFan96 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:53 pm Live action Hellsing in the works by the 'John Wick' team for Amazon studios
On one end I love John Wick movies so much I'm willing to give this the love it's asking me to give it, on the other hand I wasn't highly impressed by Hellsing as an anime, nor was I invested in it. I like parts of it.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

For many years, the original film elements to the 80's anime favorite Project A-Ko had been thought lost. Discotek Media was planning to release the film on Blu-ray using a fancy AI-upscale process from existing Laserdiscs, but that project has been canceled... on account of the original camera negative being re-discovered after a clerical error was brought to light!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Joseph Goodman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:16 pm For many years, the original film elements to the 80's anime favorite Project A-Ko had been thought lost. Discotek Media was planning to release the film on Blu-ray using a fancy AI-upscale process from existing Laserdiscs, but that project has been canceled... on account of the original camera negative being re-discovered after a clerical error was brought to light!

This is amazing news! I've heard of Project A-Ko, but it's one of those classics I've yet to see, so definitely looking forward to the blu-ray release. But it'd always great when the original negatives and such are found to be still existing.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Bought the season 2 dvd of One Punch man.

Great series

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I just finished episode 19 of Demon Slayer. Very few times have I got this invested in drawings before.

As you can tell, I have quite possibly the most normie it hurt to type that choice for favorite anime physically possible.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I have finished the first two seasons of Attack On Titan, the only anime I've seen besides Godzilla Earth and Pokemon.
I love the show! I even bought the video game. I think after I'm done with Titan I'll start Evangelion.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Anguirus wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:31 pm I have finished the first two seasons of Attack On Titan, the only anime I've seen besides Godzilla Earth and Pokemon.
I love the show! I even bought the video game. I think after I'm done with Titan I'll start Evangelion.
Dude the next seasons (Attack of Titans) will be freaking awesome you won't be dissapointed. And which Evangelion? The new or old version?

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

goji89 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:35 pm
Anguirus wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:31 pm I have finished the first two seasons of Attack On Titan, the only anime I've seen besides Godzilla Earth and Pokemon.
Dude the next seasons (Attack of Titans) will be freaking awesome you won't be dissapointed. And which Evangelion? The new or old version?
Nice, I can't wait to finish AOT!
And I'm not sure, which Evangelion should I watch?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Anguirus wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:03 pm
From what I understand, Rebuild is much more of a satisfying experience if you've watched the original.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

NSZ wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:09 pm
Anguirus wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:03 pm

From what I understand, Rebuild is much more of a satisfying experience if you've watched the original.
Yeah

I'd go with the original then the rebuild.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

NSZ wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:09 pm From what I understand, Rebuild is much more of a satisfying experience if you've watched the original.
Might be an outlier here, I've never watched the TV show, but had a blast watching the Rebuild movies earlier in the week. Stoked to see the finale.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just finished Demon Slayer. It may be the first battle-shonen series I've ever finished. As for my opinion, I loved it and will try to watch Mugen Train when I can.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I've been reading a series called "Kaiju No.8". I'm up to 18 chapters and I'm really enjoying it. :)

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

That art makes me think hybrid of both Bleach and Akira.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Eight episodes into Haruhi. It really is top-tier KyoAni, and well on its way to becoming one of my favorite shows.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Joseph Goodman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:16 pm For many years, the original film elements to the 80's anime favorite Project A-Ko had been thought lost. Discotek Media was planning to release the film on Blu-ray using a fancy AI-upscale process from existing Laserdiscs, but that project has been canceled... on account of the original camera negative being re-discovered after a clerical error was brought to light!

I admit, I don't know anything about this series; but this is a really cool find and it looks like a fun show. It's very satisfying to see media like this getting restored and preserved.
Anguirus wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:03 pm ...And I'm not sure, which Evangelion should I watch?
I think it's easier to get into the (first two) Rebuild films than the original series, so if you want action, modern effects, and shorter overall watching time, go with Rebuild; otherwise, watch the original series if you want the full scope of the story.
JAGzilla wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:52 am Eight episodes into Haruhi. It really is top-tier KyoAni, and well on its way to becoming one of my favorite shows.
I'm curious: which order are you watching the show in? I'm very fond of the show as well, but its release history is convoluted, and the episode order can make a difference in the show's impression.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Rody wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:19 am I'm curious: which order are you watching the show in? I'm very fond of the show as well, but its release history is convoluted, and the episode order can make a difference in the show's impression.
Numerical order on Funimation, if that helps. :shrug: I wasn't aware there were other options.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

When the first season originally broadcast, the story was told out of chronological order, starting with the "Adventures of Mikuru Asahina" episode. This was to enhance the mystery of the overall story without spoiling it halfway through, since the show covers multiple light novel volumes and the big reveal of the story's "gimmick" is the climax of the first novel.
When the show was released on home video, however, the episodes were reordered chronologically - and then, when season 2 aired, they aired BOTH seasons spliced together in chronological order. As far as I know, this is how the combined series has been offered since.
Having watched both broadcast and chronological order, the series is very good either way - but the original broadcast order turns season 1 into something a little extra special.